Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > AKG K550's or q701's
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MichaelHaber
tranceaddict

AKG K550's or q701's

Bear in mind these will be used for producing trance and for recreational use.

The k550's are 180 and are closed back (which i prefer as i can take them out in public)

and the q701's 280 are open back but i'd assume better for producing.

I have not tested either, which is why i am here. Has anyone had any experience with either of these models and is there anything else out there that can fulfil my needs?

Old Post Mar-28-2012 00:28  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelHaber Click here to Send MichaelHaber a Private Message Visit MichaelHaber's homepage! Add MichaelHaber to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kysora
Supreme tranceaddict

I use K701's and it's pretty fucking hard to mix the bass properly on them. but it might just be me. everything else about them is top notch.

Old Post Mar-29-2012 01:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Kysora Click here to Send Kysora a Private Message Add Kysora to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Lost & Found

Kysora, have you tried the K240S or Mk2? How do they compare?

I'm deciding whether to replace my Mk1s with a Mk2 or go for the 701s.

Old Post Mar-29-2012 10:05  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Raphie
Mr. Incredible

quote:
Originally posted by Kysora
I use K701's and it's pretty fucking hard to mix the bass properly on them. but it might just be me. everything else about them is top notch.
Maybe you should trust the 701 more than your room? how does it work out with reference tracks? how do these sound in your room and on the 701's?

Old Post Mar-29-2012 10:31  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kysora
Supreme tranceaddict

I don't have monitors so I couldn't say, I mix only on headphones. That's not the best idea in general and like I said, I'm not the best at mixing to begin with, so it's probably not a fault of the K701's.

They sound amazing either way, I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed.

Old Post Mar-29-2012 18:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Kysora Click here to Send Kysora a Private Message Add Kysora to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Raphie
Mr. Incredible

I'm happy with the 701's as well I think they give a good picture

Old Post Mar-29-2012 18:53  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Lost & Found

K702 purchased

Really impressed so far but they are going to need A LOT of burn in time. The 240s needed tens of hours, these apparently need triple figures before they reach their maximum potential.

Old Post Apr-12-2012 09:37  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kysora
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah they do take a while, I saw some posts online about letting them play white noise on loop overnight for a week or so. Dunno how good of an idea that is though.

Old Post Apr-12-2012 15:00  United States
ReclusNdangrmnt
Platipus Addict

Most of the articles I've seen about burning in headphones dissuade playing white noise through them overnight...I'd say just use them and let them break in naturally, especially since you're planning on just using them for recreation.

Old Post Apr-13-2012 00:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ReclusNdangrmnt Click here to Send ReclusNdangrmnt a Private Message Visit ReclusNdangrmnt's homepage! Add ReclusNdangrmnt to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Lost & Found

I play normal music and sounds through them, no specific noises. At the normal listening level too.

I was listening to some music and playing games on them last night so they will gradually break in. Plus I get used to them that way too.

Old Post Apr-13-2012 00:43  Croatia
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

jesus , this isn't an electron microscope that requires careful calibration. PLug them in and you are done.

Old Post Apr-13-2012 00:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Lost & Found

Thanks for your amazing input Sherlock, we already fucking know that.

Old Post Apr-13-2012 01:07  Croatia

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > AKG K550's or q701's
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread