Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > So....PKC's dad made a new video
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords



Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

quote:
Originally posted by Lira





So my thoughts were flawed in that I didn't realize Africa was such a religious place on the whole. I think I understand why that is: it's the religious zealots the world over that get all the attention in our western news, but religious zealots in Africa likely resemble the regular zealots marauding 'cross the continent.

//quick note - it's been a while since woscar made a thread, I think. While he didn't say much to get this one going, I think there's some real discussion worth having (on the issues raised in the video as well as on the the points Lira made).

Old Post Mar-21-2012 08:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
getting back up



Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Bergen & FlorÝ

Lira, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2...t_Quartiles.svg

Then read what you write about HDI; "(the darker the country the lower the HDI)". Err, no, it's the opposite. Unless you mean that 1 is lower than 0.

Statistics


___________________

Stir Fry - Breakin' On The Streets (False Prophets Remix)

Old Post Mar-21-2012 09:37  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion



Registered: Jul 2002
Location:

i will get back to that post when im sober lira coz right now i have no idea what it is you're trying to say exactly or what relevance HDI is to what i said.

all i got is that australia's HDI is second highest in the world and above the US so in your face christian faggots.

Old Post Mar-21-2012 09:44  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
getting back up



Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Bergen & FlorÝ

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
all i got is that australia's HDI is second highest in the world and above the US so in your face christian faggots.


yep that's pretty much it


___________________

Stir Fry - Breakin' On The Streets (False Prophets Remix)

Old Post Mar-21-2012 09:52  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords



Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

quote:
Originally posted by Redd
Lira, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2...t_Quartiles.svg

Then read what you write about HDI; "(the darker the country the lower the HDI)". Err, no, it's the opposite. Unless you mean that 1 is lower than 0.

Statistics


I think you're isn't really fair as Lira only mixed up what a high hdi means versus what low hdi means. I caught the mistake as well, but his point is still valid.

Old Post Mar-21-2012 10:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords



Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
all i got is that australia's HDI is second highest in the world and above the US so in your face christian faggots.


keep in mind that HDI is meant to give a broad picture and, as such, is a composite of different statistics: general education levels and literacy, life expectancy, and per capita income measured by purchasing power parity. you aussies have a higher life expectancy than us. maybe that's cuz we're keepin you guys free from terrorism and not the other way around. think about it.

IHDI, or inequality adjusted HDI, is probably a stronger, more modern measure. If you look at the numbers on that, the US falls off dramatically (see GINI coefficient, which Lira referenced previously, to understand this: the US has a GINI coefficient of 45.0 - the 41st worst in the world. aussieland, on the other hand, scores 30.5. Over 70 nations fill that gap)

Old Post Mar-21-2012 10:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
getting back up



Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Bergen & FlorÝ

quote:
Originally posted by LAdazeNYnights
I think you're isn't really fair as Lira only mixed up what a high hdi means versus what low hdi means. I caught the mistake as well, but his point is still valid.


lol at the defence-forcing for no reason at all. I rolleyed at statistics because they're extremely easy to get wrong, or just flat out misinterpret. He got it wrong and it could totally screw his point if not regarded as an error. You caught it but didn't correct it? Has his dick reached your stomach yet?

I'm also pretty sure the life expectancy has a lot more to do with your retarded laws on guns than your war on terrorism, think about it.


___________________

Stir Fry - Breakin' On The Streets (False Prophets Remix)

Old Post Mar-21-2012 10:30  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Apr 2011
Location: U.S.

Lira is basically right. People need religion, or think they need it, because their lives are crappy. This is because religion tells them (1) crappiness (suffering) has a greater purpose and (2) being religious will remove the crappiness, either in this life or the next.

Remove the crappiness from their lives, and you also remove their need for religion.

Old Post Mar-21-2012 10:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords



Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

quote:
Originally posted by Redd
lol at the defence-forcing for no reason at all. I rolleyed at statistics because they're extremely easy to get wrong, or just flat out misinterpret. He got it wrong and it could totally screw his point if not regarded as an error. You caught it but didn't correct it? Has his dick reached your stomach yet?

I'm also pretty sure the life expectancy has a lot more to do with your retarded laws on guns than your war on terrorism, think about it.


With regards to his dick reaching my stomach: that's an absurd assertion. Perhaps you missed the point of my post: it was that he hadn't "flat out misinterpret[ed]" HDI so it didn't merit correction, unless one (such as yourself) thought it prudent to approach things from some strictly pedantic view. He mixed up high and low GDI and so naturally it followed that he mixed up light and dark as well. It wasn't the sort of error that could mislead someone. Certainly with the graph right there. Recognizing the acronym to mean 'Human Development Index' and then seeing Sub Saharan Africa almost uniformly one color and then Western Europe uniformly another was enough.

As for my comment about terrorism: it was, of course, a joke. You must be wrong about the gun laws though: the numbers from that are negligible (10s of thousands at most, I think). The culprit, ostensibly, is obesity.

Old Post Mar-21-2012 10:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Apr 2011
Location: U.S.

quote:
Originally posted by Redd
I'm also pretty sure the life expectancy has a lot more to do with your retarded laws on guns than your war on terrorism, think about it.

Since gun homicides are less than 0.5% of deaths in the U.S., I doubt that.

Probably our obesity rates have something to do with it. And our life expectancy is not really so terrible anyway (two years less than Norway).

Old Post Mar-21-2012 11:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
getting back up



Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Bergen & FlorÝ

quote:
Originally posted by LAdazeNYnights
With regards to his dick reaching my stomach: that's an absurd assertion. Perhaps you missed the point of my post: it was that he hadn't "flat out misinterpret[ed]" HDI so it didn't merit correction, unless one (such as yourself) thought it prudent to approach things from some strictly pedantic view. He mixed up high and low GDI and so naturally it followed that he mixed up light and dark as well. It wasn't the sort of error that could mislead someone. Certainly with the graph right there. Recognizing the acronym to mean 'Human Development Index' and then seeing Sub Saharan Africa almost uniformly one color and then Western Europe uniformly another was enough.

As for my comment about terrorism: it was, of course, a joke. You must be wrong about the gun laws though: the numbers from that are negligible (10s of thousands at most, I think). The culprit, ostensibly, is obesity.


My point about gun laws wasn't that it's the biggest culprit, but that it's a lot bigger than how many soldiers you lose in the war etc. I guess I didn't get the joke because some Americans actually believe what you wrote.

I know he didn't misinterpret it. I pointed out it's easy enough to misinterpret without people mixing up the colors in the first place. And I disagree with you that it couldn't mislead anyone. I guess the rolleyes got you all fired up.


___________________

Stir Fry - Breakin' On The Streets (False Prophets Remix)

Old Post Mar-21-2012 12:16  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Euforix
LoungeAddict



Registered: Mar 2010
Location:

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
Lira is basically right. People need religion, or think they need it, because their lives are crappy. This is because religion tells them (1) crappiness (suffering) has a greater purpose and (2) being religious will remove the crappiness, either in this life or the next.

Remove the crappiness from their lives, and you also remove their need for religion.


It isn't that simple. It's also a possibility that religion removes the crappiness in some people's lives.

Old Post Mar-21-2012 12:38  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Euforix Click here to Send Euforix a Private Message Add Euforix to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > So....PKC's dad made a new video
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23.

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is ON
vB code is ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Search this Thread:

 
Contact Us - return to tranceaddict

Powered by: Trance Music & vBulletin Forums
Copyright ©2000-2014

Privacy Statement
Geo Visitors Map