Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > New to Djing, (and no, not trolling). Gotta question...
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Trendsetterz
Junior tranceaddict

Smiley DJ New to Djing, (and no, not trolling). Gotta question...

How do I perform end of phrase markers (i.e. cymbal crashes, bass drops)? Do I download a bunch of oneshots and play them through sample decks or do I need a midi controller or what? I appreciate any help or positive comments on this; thank you...

Old Post Mar-05-2012 05:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trendsetterz Click here to Send Trendsetterz a Private Message Add Trendsetterz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Marcus007
marrrrkeeesssss

first thing u need to find is some down tempo yoddling. then try mixing it into some progressive country music and the rest should be history

Old Post Mar-05-2012 07:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus007 Click Here to Email Marcus007 Click here to Send Marcus007 a Private Message Add Marcus007 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trendsetterz
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus007
first thing u need to find is some down tempo yoddling. then try mixing it into some progressive country music and the rest should be history

wtf?

Old Post Mar-05-2012 14:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trendsetterz Click here to Send Trendsetterz a Private Message Add Trendsetterz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
skullyzempire
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus007

Welcome to TA , its full of smart ass's .Im not a dj myself but i would imagine using a midi controller to trigger samples or one shots would be the way to go...

Old Post Mar-05-2012 18:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for skullyzempire Click here to Send skullyzempire a Private Message Add skullyzempire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
n3lly
www.n3lly.com

Re: New to Djing, (and no, not trolling). Gotta question...

quote:
Originally posted by Trendsetterz
How do I perform end of phrase markers (i.e. cymbal crashes, bass drops)? Do I download a bunch of oneshots and play them through sample decks or do I need a midi controller or what? I appreciate any help or positive comments on this; thank you...

What exactly do you mean?

If I understand you correctly, you're hoping for one phrase to finish while the next one starts?
But you want it to stand out a bit by adding in your own cymbal crashes?

You're a little confused there. What happens is when you cue song b to play after song a is nearly finished. You'll have started song b before a finishes. And that way when song a does finish you're a certain amount of time into song b, usually if you've timed things correctly and know your tracks well enough. You can make sure song a finishes just as song b is about to kick off (bass) or breaks down (cymbal crash maybe?)..

Does that make sense??

...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|(end of song a)
.......... .start of song b>....|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|
______________________________^breakdown of b or maybe it kicks of here.
The above is a crude way of showing you what i mean.

Let me know if you don't get it but there is a really handy thread up top there with a tonne of links in it to useful videos and tutorials that explain it quite well, Maybe not as professionally as I have above but that's not their fault when they use video to explain sound stuff! Obvs!

Old Post Mar-05-2012 19:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for n3lly Click here to Send n3lly a Private Message Visit n3lly's homepage! Add n3lly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DjWoody
Chingon

1.- Do you already know how to mix?
2.- Do you have examples of what you're talking about?
3.- Are you mixing with CD's? Serato? Traktor? Ableton? Vinyl? What are you using?

Before you get all crazy, know your tracks good! Or at least understand their structures.

Old Post Mar-06-2012 00:39  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for DjWoody Click here to Send DjWoody a Private Message Visit DjWoody's homepage! Add DjWoody to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trendsetterz
Junior tranceaddict

Thanks for the comments so far...

@nelly- Ya I kinda have that concept down; what I'm referring to is actually adding my own sounds like a cymbal (that wasn't there before), etc...

@djwoody- 1. I have beatmatching down and I'm getting better at proper equalizer usage and lining up outro and intro phrases like nelly mentioned above..
2. Well at the end of phrases, like cymbals or I also want to add in single bass beats..
3. And I'm mixing with a Traktor S4, but I also want to learn CD and maybe time-coded vinyl..

Again, thanks guys for responses.. plz let me know whats up

Old Post Mar-06-2012 04:49  United States
DjWoody
Chingon

You're in luck. Traktor S4 has sample decks. You can either load one shot samples there or load loops. Fast Forward to 2:30.

Old Post Mar-06-2012 07:57  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for DjWoody Click here to Send DjWoody a Private Message Visit DjWoody's homepage! Add DjWoody to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
n3lly
www.n3lly.com

I personally wouldn't bother with these one shots or bass beats. Maybe every now and again but instead I'd concentrate more on what tracks you'll be playing or if you want to get creative you could start layering multiple tracks on top of each other.

Unless of course you had 4 of your sample decks loaded with your favourite symbols/bass beats and you could just use them (amongst any other samples you've collected) and use them sparingly every now and again. Trick is always not to over use stuff..

just my 2c.

Old Post Mar-06-2012 17:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for n3lly Click here to Send n3lly a Private Message Visit n3lly's homepage! Add n3lly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trendsetterz
Junior tranceaddict

Well na, I'm def not gonna over use them, i just want the ability to do so... also, wheres a good website where I can view dj techniques, like adding drum rolls, properly using effects, and anything else i can learn?.....

Old Post Mar-10-2012 05:39  United States
AnomalyConcept
Supreme tranceaddict

I like to go over to http://www.djtechtools.com/ and geek out sometimes. Some really cool and advanced stuff there, way beyond my skill level. :P

Old Post Mar-11-2012 03:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AnomalyConcept Click here to Send AnomalyConcept a Private Message Add AnomalyConcept to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Italian Plumber

Re: Re: New to Djing, (and no, not trolling). Gotta question...

quote:
Originally posted by n3lly
What exactly do you mean?

If I understand you correctly, you're hoping for one phrase to finish while the next one starts?
But you want it to stand out a bit by adding in your own cymbal crashes?

You're a little confused there. What happens is when you cue song b to play after song a is nearly finished. You'll have started song b before a finishes. And that way when song a does finish you're a certain amount of time into song b, usually if you've timed things correctly and know your tracks well enough. You can make sure song a finishes just as song b is about to kick off (bass) or breaks down (cymbal crash maybe?)..

Does that make sense??

...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|(end of song a)
.......... .start of song b>....|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|
______________________________^breakdown of b or maybe it kicks of here.
The above is a crude way of showing you what i mean.

Let me know if you don't get it but there is a really handy thread up top there with a tonne of links in it to useful videos and tutorials that explain it quite well, Maybe not as professionally as I have above but that's not their fault when they use video to explain sound stuff! Obvs!

I think you're the one who's confused here :P

@OP: I'd go with just loading the samples up in the sample deck. If you use traktor you can have 4 samples in each deck, and loading up new ones on the fly is no problem.

edit: gotta learn to finish reading the thread b4 answering :P

Old Post Mar-13-2012 14:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click Here to Email itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > New to Djing, (and no, not trolling). Gotta question...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread