Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
euphoria

Interview with Ferry Corsten

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

Dutch Sensation Ferry Corsten is about to kick off his Once Upon a Night World Tour at the Winter Music Conference next week. We are quite excited to see what he has in store for us. The Trance superstar will also be releasing a compilation album featuring some great artists. Ferry talked to us about the detail that is involved with the set up of his upcoming event, as well as the joys of being a father, and more…

You'll be launching the kick-off to the 'Once Upon A Night' world tour at Winter Music Conference (March 27 @ Karu & Y). What are some of the enhancements to the event that the crowd can expect?

The show Once Upon A Night is based on the launch of my brand new compilation series. The idea of the album is to take my listeners with me on a night out and give them an idea of what a kind of night they would have. The show will be an interactive one and the production is going to be based on an album cover that comes to life. For every show I have a number of guest DJs planned, e.g. WMC Solarstone, Cosmic Gate, Sied van Riel… I'm really excited to present and tour with the concept this year.

How many hours of work is involved for the staging of your shows for example Full on Ferry, and Once Upon A Night?

It is a long process and takes definitely hundreds if not thousands of work. Not only for me but also for so many others that help make the show possible. There's the brainstorming of ideas, the actual production build up from sketches, footage, etc. There's the constant number of meetings throughout the months to make sure that everyone is on the same page. I guess I work with very passionate people who love what they do so it's great to have the intense amount of enthusiasm … but it does take a while.

What is the longest set you have ever performed and when and where was it?

Wow. I remember I had an album concert for my artist album “ Right of Way” where I played from about 10:30pm to 6:30am BUT since it was daylight saving that morning, I played an extra hour… so 9 hours!

You recently performed at the Nokia Theatre for Made Event in New York for the first time. What did you think of the venue and the lighting design?

The venue was beautiful and the concept was great! I saw it recently on youtube and it looked amazing.

[/b]You mentioned that some of the locations you've performed in have influenced your latest compilation Once Upon A Night. Can you be more specific as to what type of influence each of the countries you were referring to in this comment provided to the overall vibe?[/b]

Well first of all the cover of the CD is from my hometown Rotterdam, which has largely influenced my music over the years. It's also my home base and my place of refuge. Other than that, I wanted to take people on an imaginary journey through my CD and take them to some of the places that I've played in the last year. From the tropical beach of Bali (I played the Salttank Leaving Town there for the first time) to my “holy” snow boarding vacation in Austria where I would listen to various tracks of the album while snowboarding.

Can we expect future follow-ups to the 'Once Upon A Night' series approximately once a year, or more or less frequently?

We do have plans to release a second one later in the year.

Can you tell us some of the procedures you go through behind the scenes in order to keep yourself organized?

Good question! I'm a bit of a control freak with regard to my music so I'm pretty much on the ball with things like radio show, preparing for shows, producing in the studio… But for all the other stuff... I'm glad I have a good team around me to help.

How old is your daughter now?

She's about a year and a half and everything they say about Fatherhood is true. I adore her.

Are you enjoying watching her through her first steps of growing up?

Do I! My daughter is bilingual and it's amazing to see her speak both Dutch and English. The other week before she went to sleep she said in Dutch “Bye Bye Papa” and then said “ Bye Bye” after in English. I thought my heart melted.

Please describe a recent experience in which you felt enlightened by learning something valuable or interesting.

I'm a Discovery Channel freak and love watching this after a long day in the studio. It helps me empty my brain and fill it with other interesting news or facts…

Do you notice any trends when it comes to quality releases, for example certain months may be hotter than others?

You do notice that a lot of producers are saving their best releases for the Miami Winter Music Conference dates or the Ibiza season. Usually, it is a bit slower between the holidays and the end of January. I guess everyone has to go on vacation at some point

Do you have any exciting news in regards to Flashover Recordings any of your sub-labels such as Moody Moon?

We've just started a new label called Premier, which is a joint venture between Flashover and Blackhole Recordings.

Do you have any other comments for the readers of 365Mag?

Thanks for the interview and hope you can make it over to Karu & Y for the launch of my show.

365Mag would like to thank Ferry for his time and answers!

- Interview by Zaneta

Old Post Mar-17-2010 15:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
osterzone
Supreme tranceaddict

Good stuff. I liked the question about certain months having better releases than others. I never thought of it that way.

Noticed a typo though in the second question

"It is a long process and takes definitely hundreds if not thousands [of hours] of work."

Old Post Mar-17-2010 16:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for osterzone Click here to Send osterzone a Private Message Add osterzone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cl0wnz0r
Caviar , vodka, & pickles

Re: Interview with Ferry Corsten

quote:
Originally posted by euphoria
[url]http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=spec&recnum=853&T

Do you have any other comments for the readers of 365Mag?

Thanks for the interview and hope you can make it over to Karu & Y for the launch of my show.

no love for nikki beach on fri? hahaha

Old Post Mar-17-2010 16:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cl0wnz0r Click here to Send cl0wnz0r a Private Message Add cl0wnz0r to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by osterzone
Noticed a typo though in the second question

Oh dear, did I fall into a hole and end up in the MD

Old Post Mar-17-2010 16:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hitokiri
Jugulatin Foos Everywhere

Re: Interview with Ferry Corsten

quote:

You mentioned that some of the locations you've performed in have influenced your latest compilation Once Upon A Night. Can you be more specific as to what type of influence each of the countries you were referring to in this comment provided to the overall vibe?

Well first of all the cover of the CD is from my hometown Rotterdam, which has largely influenced my music over the years. It's also my home base and my place of refuge. Other than that, I wanted to take people on an imaginary journey through my CD and take them to some of the places that I've played in the last year. From the tropical beach of Bali (I played the Salttank Leaving Town there for the first time) to my “holy” snow boarding vacation in Austria where I would listen to various tracks of the album while snowboarding.

thats whats up!

check out my radio show Harmonic Dissonance every 4th Monday of the month at 15:00 EST on ETN.FM
*** upcoming gigs***
TBA

Old Post Mar-17-2010 16:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for hitokiri Click Here to Email hitokiri Click here to Send hitokiri a Private Message Visit hitokiri's homepage! Add hitokiri to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
osterzone
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Oh dear, did I fall into a hole and end up in the MD

Old Post Mar-17-2010 17:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for osterzone Click here to Send osterzone a Private Message Add osterzone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
yankeeBaby
Keepin it real....

Love Poundin' Sensation

His daughter is the most beautiful child I have ever seen. (totally unbiased opinion). Soo freakin adorable. I just love how much he adores his family, it makes him that much more appealing as a person <3 <3 <3

Old Post Mar-17-2010 19:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for yankeeBaby Click here to Send yankeeBaby a Private Message Add yankeeBaby to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Smoking ..umm..something Interview with Mauro Picotto

365MAG INTERVIEW: MAURO PICOTTO
Special: 365 Interview (2010-03-24)

Techno extraordinaire Mauro Picotto based out of Cavour, Italy really needs no introduction. He will be hosting his legendary Meganite event this year at the Winter Music conference on March 27th, 2010 at Club Nocturnal. We caught up with him prior to the event to get a little more insight on the madness that will ensue at the Meganite event and what fans can expect.

When are you flying down to Miami, and what are some of the first things on your agenda?

I will just arrive on the 27th late in the afternoon, because I'm super busy at the moment. I wish I could stay for a couple of days. I usually stay for a few weeks, as I really like Miami.

How involved were you in selecting the fellow DJ's and guest appearances for Meganite Miami?

I selected the DJ's for the show myself. I always select those who are more creative, musically speaking. Artists that can a do an exclusive set are important because it makes the appearance and night very special. Real clubbers appreciate Meganite for this reason.

It's definitely a great line up! What are the particular reasons that you selected these DJ's?

We have all different styles, but at the same time I believe that the different sounds will work well together and create an amazing musical journey. The music always needs to be good, and not obvious.

How would you describe Club Nocturnal, for those whom have never been there?

It's one of the most well known clubs in Downtown Miami where all most important DJ's or artists have performed.

You have been in the scene for a long time, how many times have you visited Miami for WMC thus far?

I must have visited Miami at least 30 times in all these years and at least 6 or 7 for WMC.

Are you still excited to travel to the conference each time over the years?

Yes, I'm really excited and looking forward to party there.

What are some of the differences between each of your Meganite events varying by location?

For me it's important that, no matter where the Meganite event is, the crowd has the same experience. For me the sound system and quality is the priority.

Do you plan on expanding Meganite to any other countries in the future?

There have been many Meganite parties around the world since I launched it in 2003. In September, Meganite will also starting a monthly residency in Milan at Magazzini Generali. Milan is the capital of Italian fashion, and I believe it is the right place to do it.

Do you have any projects in mind currently that you can share with us?

I just finished my new Album called Meganite 2010. It is two CD's. The first is a mixed CD of the sound of Alchemy, my label and number two contains 8 completely new extended and unreleased tracks. I'm really satisfied with this project. It will be followed up shortly with all the remixes by Lauhaus, Cari Lekebush, Reset Robot, Gennaro Le Fosse, and Umek to name a few.

After you have conquered WMC Miami 2010… what's next?

I will start to plan Ibiza, and as you can understand this takes up a lot of time as well.

Is your family still involved in Stone Masonry?

Yes, my brothers are taking care of this business.

Can you tell us more about that?

What I can say, it's a different job for sure but interesting for me because I grew up learning this industry. I liked to watch the explosions in the caves.

Have you begun planning your next single?

Yes, but will not be a single. It will be lots of singles at once, as I've got a lot of new unreleased tracks.

Do you know when we can expect a release?

For DJ's the promo will start now, and for the public it will be at the end of May.

What are some of the new developments at your label Bakerloo SRL and Alchemy sub-label?

To be honest I'm not going crazy to develop it. I like to keep it underground.

Do you have any other comments you would like to share with the readers of 365Mag?

See you in Ibiza, for those who are lucky enough to go, and those who aren't can follow me and meganite via facebook (Meganite & Mauro Picotto) or twitter (djmauropicotto).

365Mag would like to thank Mauro for his time and answers!

http://www.mauropicotto.com/
http://www.meganite.co.uk/

Old Post Mar-24-2010 15:28  United States
LinX
On A New York City Night

as i was reading this in my head, he kinda came off as a douchebag lol.. but then again i cant read 'tones'

Old Post Mar-24-2010 18:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LinX Click here to Send LinX a Private Message Add LinX to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

His English isn't so great so I got whatever content I could. Things prob come off a different way in translation.

Old Post Mar-26-2010 05:31  United States
Jacob Henry
facebook.com/SilkMusic

Cool interview, Z -- loved his classic track "Komodo" and used to play it all the time on college radio in my younger years ;0

Schodt, Zack Roth, Ad Brown, & Jacob Henry Pres. Silk Royal Showcase Weekly Radio Show & Podcast: Click Here For More Info

Old Post Mar-26-2010 12:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Jacob Henry Click here to Send Jacob Henry a Private Message Visit Jacob Henry's homepage! Add Jacob Henry to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Read This! Interview with Victor Dinaire

365MAG INTERVIEW: VICTOR DINAIRE

365 Interview (2010-03-31)

Link: http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

Victor Dinaire's days of being strictly a New York local are now over. He is quickly becoming a very common name in Trance music and has been seen on various line up's from California to Miami and beyond. His Lost Episode show has come a long way since it first began and he has even released his debut compilation album also entitled Lost Episode.

We had a great discussion with Victor where he enlightened us on the path he has taken with his career as well as some of his future plans including exclusive information in regards to the special 200th edition of Lost Episode which is coming up in April. Continue reading to find out more.

I know that you have moved several times within the past few years within the US. Do you believe that it helped boost your fan base or career in any way?

Moving around helped my career substantially in many ways. In the last few years, I lived in NYC, San Diego, Miami, Tampa, and Laguna Beach. Relocating to Southern California in the Fall 2004 was a huge turning point in my career and the best decision I ever made in my life. Living in different parts of the US gave me the opportunity to submerge myself in the local scenes to build a following in each market.

Clearly in your travels you have met a great deal of interesting people. What are the best methods of networking from a DJs standpoint?

Besides having music skills, In order to make it, one of the most important things to do is constantly be out and about meeting people in the industry. Often times, gig opportunities quickly happen so being out networking will increase your chances of getting involved on various events. I also recommend working for promoters in your local area as a sub promoter. This is valuable in many ways as you can develop your following while showing the promoter that you have pull. Promoters like to see DJs who are actively working hard on the back end to bring people to the shows in addition to playing a stellar set.

As a New Yorker, you have witnessed the rise and fall of some of the most influential clubs and venues in the NY scene. Which would you say had the most impact on your life and why?

Musically, I would say Twilo had the biggest impact. That's when I knew I wanted to be a part of the Electronic Dance Movement. I spent several years enjoying Sasha & Digweed every month followed by Paul van Dyk every other month. It was relentless! I will never forget those memorable moments. Before that, I fell in love with the Limelight, Tunnel, and Club USA for the overall party experience. Back in the early to mid 90's before the Twilo boom, so much effort was put into the production, decoration, and theme of each club event. People went out of their way to dress up which contributed to the overall vibe. Entire nightclubs were transformed into almost anything imaginable to fit a certain theme. For example, I recall one night at USA where they transformed their gigantic stage into an ice rink with many ice skaters gliding around with the rest of the club in an ice / winter them. Pretty stunning. I kinda miss that element. The only downside was that the DJ wasn't as important those days but there was a lot of emphasis on everything else around it. Now if we took that style of party with a great DJ; that would be a great formula.

Are you planning anything special for your 200th Lost Episode?

Yes! In fact, we are celebrating Lost Episode 200 on Friday April 23 2010 at Voyeur in San Diego where I have one of my residencies. I will be recording my performance for the 200th show. If you are not in the area, you can tune in live on Digitally Imported Radio - DI.FM as they will be broadcasting the whole show. It also happens to be my Birthday weekend, so expect things to get a little crazy. The next night (Saturday April 24) I will also be celebrating my Birthday at my other monthly spot, Circus in Los Angeles where I will be playing alongside The Thrillseekers.

In your opinion if you could select one track that represents the year of 2009 for you which would it be?

Hmmm, I can name a few:
Above & Beyond Presents Oceanlab 'Lonely Girl' (Gareth Emery Remix), Paul van Dyk 'For An Angel' (Spencer & Hill Remix), Dash Berlin Featuring Emma Hewitt 'Waiting' (Sean Tyas Remix).

What is the biggest crowd you have performed for thus far?

Some events here in Southern California had up to 10,000 people.

Everyone has they're quirks, and pet peeves. Would you care to share some of yours?

I'm pretty easy going so it takes a lot to throw me off but the one thing that doesn't sit well with me is a poor DJ set up. If there are 2 nice monitors and the Pioneer rig is in excellent shape and the beer is flowing, I am a happy camper. OH, one other thing, no squirrelly drivers. I get a little uneasy when I feel like the driver is prone to getting us killed. Not fun.

What are some of the things you are hoping to accomplish this year?

I want to play in Europe, especially the UK. I have never been there at all which is kind of odd.

How are things going on the production forefront?

Excellent. I was a late bloomer with production but things are in high gear now. I am very fortunate to get insight from veteran producers such as Bissen. We are doing loads of tracks lately we're having a blast working together. In fact, half the time we are messing around and laughing but we end up getting everything done. The man is a genius in the studio and everything he puts out has an amazingly high production value which is hard to come by these days. I always end up learning something new when I work with him. Our newest track, Denomination has been picked up by John Askew's Discover Label and should be coming out in the beginning of the summer. Our other track, 'Run & Hide' (Vocals by Stephen Pickup) is getting signed now and will likely see a summer release as well. Solo, projects, I just recently finished a single called 'Undercurrent' along with a handful of 'Lost Episode' Remixes which shows the more driving techier side of me. I also did a track with Noel Sanger called 'Wind and Sea' on his Dissident Label. Working with him was an honor as he is someone I looked up to for many years.

You released your compilation disc entitled Lost Episode in December on Moist Music, how successful has it been this far and do you anticipate it will become a series?

Response has been great and sales are strong. I will be touring well into the summer in support of it. It is also available on Beatport & Itunes. Amazon.com has the CD in stock if your local retailer doesn't have it stocked. We will definitely be making this a series and expanding on the concept further. For the next one, I'd like to record the mix live so we'll see what happens.

Are you heading to WMC this year? If so what are you most looking forward to?

No WMC for me. I'm playing at Circus in LA with Kyau & Albert instead. If I were going, I would check out Paul van Dyk, Ferry Corsten's event, and Anjunabeats.

Are you involved in any other exciting projects that you would like to share with us?

The last several months, I started a residency / club night at a brand new venue called Voyeur in San Diego. This is by far the coolest club I have seen in years. From the moment I first stepped foot inside this place, I knew I wanted to be a part of it. The sound is top notch and they have a full LED wall behind the DJ, which adds a lot of visual stimulation to go with the music. We bring all kinds of talented DJs spanning every genre of dance music. Out night, 'Lost Episode' is once a month. So far, we had Gareth Emery, Cosmic Gate, Rank 1, Kyau & Albert. All of which were a huge success. 3 of those events were sold out at 11pm! I am really fortunate to be involved. I also play once a month at Circus in Los Angeles. Circus is still my favorite club in that area. 100% music driven crowd and I can push it to the limit there and the crowd will be with me the whole way through. Truly an amazing place to play at.

I also launched Lost Episode as a weekly Podcast. You can subscribe for free at the link below.

365Mag would like to thank Victor for his time and answers!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ode/id358291157

http://www.victordinaire.com/

http://www.myspace.com/victordinaire

Old Post Mar-31-2010 19:01  United States

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread