This month’s Radio Unity had 65 great tracks shortlisted for inclusion and once again it was not an easy task to pick the ten to be featured. The show will be quite a journey from 120 bpm chilled and spacey atmospheres into full on 140bpm psy-trance. This time it’s mainly the heavy hitters of the scene like Andy Moor, Astrix, James Holden, Shiloh and Jerome Isma-ae who are responsible for my favorite tracks of November 2010. There are also three tracks originating (more or less) from Finland. Please join the live stream and discussion on Afterhours.fm board Wednesday evening 21-22 CET or Saturday night 23-00 finnish time in NRJ At The Club or just chillax and download the podcast on Sunday.
To get us into a relaxed holiday mood I decided to make this year’s December Radio Unity something quite unique. This episode will be mainly three things:
1. Something to play while chilling during the holiday times. NYE is anyway around the corner so that we can then crazy party too. This will be very chillaxing 60 minutes of music.
2. A tribute to one of the most expressive instruments out there: piano.
3. Musical “battle” between classical and trance: Philip Glass and Michael Nyman going back-2-back with the likes of BT and Thrillseekers.
Christmas is also for many of us time to remember friends, loved ones and family members that we’ve lost during the years. I suggest that while listening to this mix, dedicate some peaceful time to cherish the memories of great moments with the ones who are not here anymore.
This mix features some of the most touching pieces of music that I know, but will be something quite untraditional - at least in the context of Afterhours.fm’s banging club sounds Even if this might sound a little bit strange I think it all makes sense as some of the classical piano pieces (from ie. Philip Glass) have been major inspiration for the early trance of Oliver Lieb, Cosmic Baby etc. Hope you’ll enjoy the mix. I truly enjoyed putting this together. Feel free to join the discussion live at Afterhours.fm forum. It’s fun out there
DJ Orkidea @ Radio Unity 024 - 15.11.2010
01. Robert Miles : Children (Lowland orchestral version)
02. Philip Glass : Metamorphosis Five
03. Thrillseekers : Synaesthesia (Lowland orchestral version)
04. Thomas Newman : Any Other Name
05. Way Out West : Mindcircus (Lowland orchestral version)
06. Philip Glass : Truman Sleeps
07. BT : Flaming June (Lowland orchestral version)
08. Yann Tiersen : Comptine d’un autre été - L’après-midi
09. Energy 52 : Café del Mar (Lowland orchestral version)
10. Michael Nyman : The Heart Asks Pleasure First / The Promise
11. Chicane : Saltwater (Lowland orchestral version)
12. Wim Mertens : Close Cover
13. Aalto : Rush (Lowland orchestral version)
14. Cosmic Baby : Thinking About Myself
15. Binary Finary : 1998 (Lowland orchestral version)
16. Wim Mertens : Struggle for Pleasure
17. Slusnik Luna : Sun (Lowland orchestral version)
After last month’s special piano mix Radio Unity continues on the progressive trance track this month. There are some amazingly beautiful and emotional pieces of electronic music. The first half is more atmospheric and proggy while the second half is more pumpin’ dancefloor focus selection. Featured artists are Daft Punk, Pryda, Eelke Kleijn, Airwave, Paul Thomas, Pulser and Peter Dundov while Michael Cassette represents Finland in this episode. Please join the discussion in Afterhours.fm message board for a nice chat with likeminded music lovers!
DJ Orkidea @ Radio Unity 025 - 19.01.2011
01. Daft Punk : The Grid
02. Ivan Nikusev & Wav-E : Aurora (Airwave Breaks Remix)
03. Eelke Kleijn : On The Edge (Deep Dub)
04. Petar Dundov : Distant Shores
05. Pryda : Illusions
06. Michael Cassette : Crockett's Theme
07. Voltaxx, Paul Thomas, Lissat & Russell G : The Real Life (remix)
08. My Digital Enemy : Release My Soul (Olav Basoski Remix)
09. Protoculture : Early Bird (Max Graham remix)
10. Pulser : In My World
11. Daft Punk : Overture
"My recent big room gigs sparked this month's Radio Unity to be bit more jumpin'n'pumpin' than usually with the likes of Ali Wilson and Protoculture rising the BPM while my guaranteed heroes Eric Prydz and Jerome Isma-ae are responsible for the proggier biggies of the month. I feel there is real diversity in the trance sound now and it's great to see the tempos keeping quite low and focus firmly in great grooves. Please join the like minded music lovers in the Afterhours.fm forum during the show or make your life automated by subscribing to the Radio Unity podcast in iTunes and receive every new show automatically to your iTunes. Unfortunately this week I won't be able to attend the live discussion as I'm working at my studio, preparing for this week's studio session together with Solarstone who is DJing Helsinki. We are working on follow up to Slowmotion and I'm very excited by the early demo we have!"
"If last month’s Radio Unity 026 represented my big roomish trance sound then the March edition will be the total opposite. We’ll dive deep into atmospheric progressive house and deep trance with some dubby, techy and psy undertones. The grooves start building from pretty slow 122 bpm towards some old school trance influenced sounds of the latter half. People familiar with Sasha & Digweed’s Northern Exposure mix CD series will probably spot some influences and even one less known (and played) gem from the series. Featured artists include prog legends Redanka and Pole Folder, current faves 16 Bit Lolitas and Eelke Kleijn, psygressive masters Ticon and some deeper stuff from usually more banging John 00 Fleming and Solarstone. Once again it’s not the typical sound you would hear on Afterhours.fm but join the show tonight at 21-22 CET with an open mind and engage with likeminded music lovers."