Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > ADAM A7 vs. Mackie HR824
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

ADAM A7 vs. Mackie HR824

I've heard the Mackie HR824s and they sound very nice. Pleasent on the ears, great imaging, very powerful. But I can't find a store with the ADAM A7s to compare.

Has anyone done a comparison? How do they compare to eachother for trance production? Countless trance productions have been mixed on 824s, so the track record is impecable. But eventually, I would like to get ADAM speakers in the $3-5k range and an Apogee DAC... but that won't be for several years.

The 824s have a proven track record. But, I'm thinking the A7s would be a great stepping stone into the ADAM line as I plan to eventually upgrade to high end ADAM monitors.

Any thoughts?

Patches for your:
Access Virus TI,
Alesis A6 Andromeda,
DSI Prophet '08 / Tetra / Mopho / Mopho X4,
Nord Lead 3,
Nord Lead 2X / 2 / Discovery VSTi,
Roland JP8000 / JP8080

Last edited by alanzo on Jan-13-2008 at 22:59

Old Post Jan-13-2008 21:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for alanzo Click here to Send alanzo a Private Message Visit alanzo's homepage! Add alanzo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJAnthonyRoss
Haunting Mass Appeal

people are raving to me about the Adam's monitor line but i have no form of comparison. they sounded superb against the dynaudio speaks that were in the studio but i'm unsure about the mackies.

do you know the main diff between the A line and P line?

Old Post Jan-13-2008 22:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DJAnthonyRoss Click here to Send DJAnthonyRoss a Private Message Visit DJAnthonyRoss's homepage! Add DJAnthonyRoss to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
echosystm
super wow maker

I like the A7s. I've never been much of a fan of Mackies; they are good, but not as good as the hype and price tag.

quote:
Originally posted by floyd741
i think echosystm is a pretty cool guy. eh pwns robby rox and doesn't afraid of anything.

Old Post Jan-13-2008 22:47  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for echosystm Click here to Send echosystm a Private Message Add echosystm to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

quote:
Originally posted by DJAnthonyRoss

Not really. I'd imagine it's the size of the cabinet and the material the woofer is made from. They all have the same ribbon tweeter.

Patches for your:
Access Virus TI,
Alesis A6 Andromeda,
Nord Lead 3,
Roland JP8000 / JP8080

Old Post Jan-13-2008 22:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for alanzo Click here to Send alanzo a Private Message Visit alanzo's homepage! Add alanzo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Lost & Found

quote:
Originally posted by DJAnthonyRoss
people are raving to me about the Adam's monitor line but i have no form of comparison. they sounded superb against the dynaudio speaks that were in the studio but i'm unsure about the mackies.

Same here. While the Dyns sounded a bit better, for the price the Adam A7's were superb.

Sadly I couldn't compare them to Mackies though.

Old Post Jan-14-2008 00:34  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Derivative
Bipolar Bear

The A7 is almost exactly the same as the P11a except it costs half the money, has half the power and has a different woofer design.

Old Post Jan-14-2008 17:22  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for Derivative Click here to Send Derivative a Private Message Add Derivative to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

quote:
Originally posted by Derivative
has a different woofer design.

It will then sound very different.

Patches for your:
Access Virus TI,
Alesis A6 Andromeda,
Nord Lead 3,
Roland JP8000 / JP8080

Old Post Jan-14-2008 17:23  United States
Derivative
Bipolar Bear

quote:
Originally posted by alanzo
It will then sound very different.

Yes thats probably true. I only auditioned the P11a. At that time the A7 wasn't even out yet.

Old Post Jan-14-2008 17:28  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for Derivative Click here to Send Derivative a Private Message Add Derivative to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beyer
Arpeggionator

The main problem with the mackies, is that sound TOO good. They have poor detail in the midrange and smear the highs. This is what people say, when going from the mackies to s better monitor. I haven't heard these myself, but it's fair to say that this is true, since this is what keeps being said.

The A7 will be a lot more detailed, less bassy, and more "honest" sounding. They are most likely not as "fun" to listen to as the mackies, but that is a good thing. Haven't heard these either.

I think it's quite possible to do great mixes on the mackies, if you learn them really well. afaik SVD mix and master all his tracks by himself, and imo his mixes are amazingly good.

Old Post Jan-14-2008 17:54  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Beyer Click here to Send Beyer a Private Message Add Beyer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

Well the main reason I'm asking is because a slightly used pair of 824s goes for < $600 on eBay which is $300 cheaper than the A7s.

I think it just comes down to what you need and what you THINK you need. I mean, I'm already doing great (signed) productions on a fu**in pair of $100 Sony headphones.

Patches for your:
Access Virus TI,
Alesis A6 Andromeda,
Nord Lead 3,
Roland JP8000 / JP8080

Old Post Jan-14-2008 18:02  United States
rb2k1
....................remix

just go freaking mackie alan.. damn it man! hahaha i know deep down inside your a mackie monitor kind of guy

Old Post Jan-16-2008 17:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rb2k1 Click here to Send rb2k1 a Private Message Visit rb2k1's homepage! Add rb2k1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

quote:
Originally posted by rb2k1
just go freaking mackie alan.. damn it man! hahaha i know deep down inside your a mackie monitor kind of guy

Hah.. thanks, Ross. I'm obsessive, I know. I've been pondering this for the past two months.

Basically, my options are to just say fuck'it, get HR824s and a sub because it'll be good enough (cost about $1500 for sub and monitors, used on eBay).

Or to really save up and go with ADAMs because they're awesome -- I'd be looking at about $3-4000 for the speakers, $1500 for a DAC (useless to use an m-audio audiophile if I have ADAMs).

Patches for your:
Access Virus TI,
Alesis A6 Andromeda,
Nord Lead 3,
Roland JP8000 / JP8080

Old Post Jan-16-2008 17:14  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > ADAM A7 vs. Mackie HR824
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread