Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Tracks Section > Tracklist Requests / Postings > Perfecto on Tour 01-50. A general overview
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
jmrecillas
Supreme tranceaddict

Perfecto on Tour 01-50. A general overview

Perfecto on Tour has come arrived at 52 episodes, which is means its arrived to the milestone of 50 episodes, and deserves a detailed review of what has been accomplished to this point. 50 episodes are a good quantity to make a balance of this tour (I have only missed 3 shows: Perfecto on Tour 2, 4 y 30, and I would like to have them to have my Perfecto on Tour complete collection, so please, if someone have this 3 episode, please uploaded them).

First thing we must consider into the balance is what I call in a mexican magazine, that this is one of a hell milestone for Paul Oakenfold. But its not only that. With this, Oakenfold in fact enters into weekly shows dynamic. For being the most trance important DJ, he comes late to this dynamic. For only mention my personal favorites weekly shows, no matter what genre being, I have to mention Matt Darey's Nocturnal, my favorite one above all the rest, from whom I have all episodes perfectly labeled and configurated for iTunes, including tracklist and photo. John Digweed's Transitions, from whom I don't have all episodes, only some of them. Absolutely brilliant weekly show. Hernan Cattaneo's Metrodance and Sequential resident mix. Kenneth Thomas' Obsessions, masterly mixed by a true Oakenfold's disciple. Martin García's Metrodance weekly show, absolutely brilliant mixed, but not for all kind of ears. This are my favorite weekly shows, that I try don't missed. Is in this general dynamic that Pefecto on Tour has come arrived. Nevertheless, the show is presented as live recordings, which is fake, because they are not. But this also mark something more. Perfecto on Tour is not a show about votes or popular tunes, as happend with Armin van Buuren (yeeeetch!), Above and Beyond, Tiesto (worst show and worst DJ I ever heard, ist amazing he can make a good set and lead music to a higher level, sorry fans!) and Ferry Corsten shows.

[Here I want to make a question: why Dutch DJs doesn't know how to lead a set? -with Marco V's exception. Its incredible that you hear van Buuren sets and never happend anything, never grow up, never flows to a different level, many times you simply get bored; Tiesto doesn't know to mix nevertheless votes and almost 15 or more years on stage -why people still vote as their favorite? I don't understand. Menno De JOng have some very good sets, as that on European Union, astonishing, but have other ones pretty boring. So, this is the question, with his rich musical and cultural heritage, why Dutch DJs are simply so boring and predictible?]

Perfecto on Tour is not a live show recorded in location all over the world, but a studio mix presented as live set. I have no problem with this if this not means something more. One of major problems is Perfecto on Tour came to an end with good old Essential Mix tradition, in which Oakenfold give us some of his best live sets ever. Last Oakenfold's Essential Mix was on april 2006, as the beginning of A Lively Mind World Tour. And I think that this is also a studio set, and not a real live set. Once Perfecto on Tour show beguins, Oakenfold's live broadcast sets come practically to an end, with only two exceptions. Both sets where performed with very few difference of time, and both where performed on March 2007. First set was performed in March 7th in Tsekh Festival, St. Petersburg. For this date there is a Perfecto on Tour episode, which is very different from what he actually played in Russia. The other set was performed in the middle of Winter Music Conference, on 24th March, and was broadcasted in a live broadcast by Sirius Area 33, and again, its very different from what he really played on stage. Weekly show to Russian set is Perfecto on Tour 27, and weekly show to WMC was Perfecto on Tour 31. None of this shows really show us what Oakenfold played on stage.

Perfecto on Tour dates for this two shows are very interesting live sets. Russian set it lasts one hour and a half, and is pretty astonishing, very different from his studio show. He even play PPK's Resurrection, some classic Oakenfold mix, that he never has been played in his studio Perfecto on Tour shows. The only problem with this set is the presence of a fucking moronic Russian dude that all the time its yelling to the crowd in order they dance and jump and clap (you just have to question if Russian people doesn't know how to act in a live set or what). This is tracklisting from this set:

Paul Oakenfold Live @ Tsekh Music Festival, St. Petersburg, Russia
Broadcasted on March 7, 2007

01. Nature One Inc. - The Golden 10 (Rework?)
02. Fred Baker - Total Blackout
03. Jeckyll & Hyde - Frozen Flame (Wezz & Fisher remix)
04. Underworld - Born Slippy (Paul Oakenfold Remix?)
05. Evermore - It's Too Late (Instrumental Mix)
06. Oakenfold - Southern Sun (? remix)
07. Brisky - Now and Forever (Fred Baker Remix)
08. PPK - Resurection (Vadim Zhukov remix)
09. Thomas Bronzwaer - Close Horizon (Giuseppe Ottaviani Mix)
10. Three Drives - Greece 2005
11. Cosmic Gate - Analog Feel (Rank 1's Digital Re-Harsh)
12. Matt Darey feat. Lucia - Animal
13. Lange vs Gareth Emery - Another You, Another Me (Terranova & Austin Leeds Mix)

This is one hour and a half version. Its supposed that exist two hour version from this set, which I couldn't have downloaded to hear it. But its so obvios that both sets, the actual live set from Tsekh Music Festival broadcasted for some Russian radio station its absolutely different from studio mix.

This is Perfecto on Tour 27 tracklisting:

Perfecto on Tour 27
Recorded Live @ Tsekh Music Festival, St. Petersburg
St Petersburg, Russia, March 7th, 2007
121:29 minutes

01. ID
02. Liam Shachar - ID
03. David Guetta - The World Is Mine (Cedric Gervais Remix)
04. ID
05. ID
06. The PQM Project - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Markus Schulz Pass)
07. ID
08. Alican & Soner - Daulities (4PO Mix)
09. ID
-break-
10. Jan Johnston - Obsession (Kenneth Thomas Remix)
11. Bad Apples - Get It On (Nat Monday Remix)
12. ID <- someone knows this
13. ID
14. Solar Stone - Release (Pavliga Remix)
15. FKN - Why?
16. ID
17. Armin van Buuren - Communication Part 3 (Coldware Remix)
18. Paul Oakenfold - Amsterdam
19. ID - ID

Russian set is pretty good set, not highest set you can expected, but is a very good one, a normal good live set from one of a hell DJ and my favorite DJ above all the rest. Perfecto on Tour to this Music Festival is a weekly good show, but its has nothing to do with reality. And this is something that has upset a lot to many outthere, and with very good reasons, because weekly show is presented as a sample of real live shows all over the world. Yes, Oakenfold mix behind decks with astonishing mastery, but in fact you never hear a real live set mixed on stage, except from 2007 WMC live set.

This is tracklisting from his real show on WMC:

Paul Oakenfold recorded live @ Space Miami, from Winter Music Conference 2007, on April 24, 2007

01. Yass - He Reigns (Dub)
02. Ben Macklin feat. Tiger Lily - Feel Together (Tom Novy Remix)
03. ID Percussion tune
04. ID Funky piano tune
05. Knee Deep vs. Prince - Do I Believe
06. Kid Creme - The Game (Kids Piano Mix)
07. Fish go deep feat. Tracey K - The Cure & The Cause (Balearic Soul Remix)
08. ID
09. Copyright ft. Song Williamson - He is (Ferrer & Sydenham Inc Vox Mix)
10. ID
11. Yoshimoto - Du What U Du (Trentemoller Remix)
12. Prince - Kiss (Remix)
13. Ali Dubfire - I Feel Speed
14. Pet Shop Boys - Minimal (Tocadisco's Sunday At Space Mix)
15. Armin van Buuren feat. Nadia Ali - Who is Watching (Tonedepth Remix)
16. Peter Katafalk - Pacific 202 (Original Mix)
17. Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (Blake Jarrell & Topher Jones Remix)
18. ID
19. David Guetta Feat.Jd Davis - The World Is Mine (FMIF Remix)
20. Paul Oakenfold Ft Brittany Murphy - Faster Kill Pussycat (Club Mix)
21. Nick & Danny Chatelain - Is Killing Me + some jazz strings at the start of track

This almost two hour show is absolutelly different from Perfecto on Tour 31. This is Perfecto on Tour 31 tracklisting:

Perfecto on Tour 31
Paul Oakenfold Live @ Ultra Music Festival Miami, Florida March 17, 2007
Broadcasted by Sirius Area 33 on 6th July, 2007

01. ID
02. Paul Oakenfold - Amsterdam
03. FKN Feat. Jahala - Why
04. Armin van Buuren - Communication Part 3 (Coldware Cold Mix)
05. ID
06. ID
07. Visor & Dark Moon - Beautiful People
08. Solar Stone - Release (Vadim Zhuhov Remix)
09. ID
10. ID
11. Liam Shachar ft. Ciaran Gribbin - The Waves (Nat Monday mix)
12. Bad Apples - Get It On (Nat Monday Remix)
13. Paul Oakenfold - Sex'N'Money (Benny Benassi Remix)
14. David Guetta feat. JD Davis - In Love With Myself (Benni Benassi Remix)
15. Marc Marberg And Kyau Vs Albert - Megashira
16. ID
17. Gabriel & Dresden feat. Jan Burton - Dangerous Power (Extended Mix)
18. ID
19. Ferry Corsten - Junk (Flashover Remix)

This is an absolutelly differente show, and most important of all, in real WMC set you hear Oakenfold at highest level of mastery, and probably one of his best live sets ever, mixing very strange music and tunes that you ussually doesn't expected where mixed by the man himself. As a matter of fact, its a pretty amazing set, that one could believe is mixed by some Carl Cox's disciple, but not, is mixed by Oakenfold. In fact, you can hear his voice twice when he have some problems with his equipment. Nevertheless, this set is absolutely a masterpiece of blending and atmospheric transition from one genre to another, and it brings to memory that great Okenfold who can mix different genres as the real geniuos he is. Probably, best Oakenfold set in many many time. And this is something you actually missed in Perfecto on Tour weekly show: variety. Many of Perfecto on Tour episodes he mixes, once and again same tracks, in different order. Yes, they are supperbly well mixed, but sometimes you can get tired of hearing same track in a different order, and you missed that some very good tracks are only once mixed and never appear again in other sets. This are only some of this tracks that are only one time mixed by Oakenfold:

Airbase - For the Fallen
Matt Darey Pres. Li Kwan - Point Zero (Benya's 2006 Remix)
Kaveh Azizi - Tabriz (Original Mix)
Airbase - Escape
Galen Behr & Robert Burns - Till We Meet Again (Galen Behr Mix)
Insigma - Open Your Eyes (Sean Tyas Remix)
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (Blake Jarrell vs Nosmo's Lasershow Bootleg Mix)
Insigma - Open Your Eyes (Sean Tyas Remix)
Kirsty Hawkshaw meets Tenishia - Outsiders (Jose Amnesia Remix)

In front of this ones, a very great number of other tunes and songs are played again and again until you really get sick of them; special mention deserve French mixes from dudes like Benny Benassy and songs from David Guetta, and his own mixes from his A Lively Mind album. This is not to meant that I don't like this album, but after hearing once and again same songs you really can get tired, no matter what. And this is one of the most severe critics to this show. In fact, one of the best Perfecto on Tour untill this days is Perfecto on Tour 8, because this set it doesn't repeat the same tunes and songs until you want to throw away what ever yuo have eat it. Yes, is amazingly well mixed and it have a very interesting musical crescendo and some of mixed pieces are some of best tunes mixed in a set by Oakenfold. Special mention deserves Airbase's two tunes, absolutely brilliant and beautifully melodic ones, that almost no one else mix.

Of course, after 49 episodes, you can get tired of hear all the time same tunes, once again played in different order. But this is a right he have of playing what he like to mix; but in return, one have the right to express your sickness of this, and in fact this has happened more than once.

Its obvious that episode 49 marks the slip between one stage and another. Not only because next episode represents return to US (sorry for no using America, but B]America[/B] exists beyond Rio Ancho until to arrives to Patagonia), but also because you can hear a very different set, specially on hour two, where you can detect an accent to another direction in his studio mixes. Yes, you can see and hear some a lot of times before hearing tunes from Bad Apples (to this point this apples have a very bad stench you wont share with anyone), but this time, at last, we have a different mix, more melodic, and this could be seems same old same, but its really hear it different. And direction from this on signs to some other places. Because almost all Perfecto on Tour seems to have as central point A Lively Mind promotion and Oakenfold's recent French friendship, at this point you can thank for left behind all this promotion. I think that we can hear some really good nice sets from this on, specially if we doesn't hear once again some Benny Benassy or David Guetta mixes or tunes (somebody kill French DJs, they are awefull, they really sucks).

So, we can make two different evaluation from Perfecto on Tour. One, weekly show: sometimes get tired of hear same tracks once and again, with no respect for people who really like Oakenfold. Two, real live sets from Perfecto on Tour, that always are different from studio mix, and you can find a very nice surprise, as happened with his amazing performance in November 2007 in Mexico.

What can I say to those who read this thread? First of all, don't judge by tracklisting only. You need to hear whatever the set be. Second, you need to hear a real live Oakenfold set to get an idea of mastery level he have accomplish, which is umparallel to anyone else today (except by Sasha, John Digweed, both Deep Dish Dubfire and Sharam, and Matt Darey), but this also means that it would be nice to hear real live sets by the man himself. I hope when Perfecto on Tour weekly show arrives to episode 100, we can have another story to tell, and another account of what happened.

So far, I hope can find missing Perfecto on Tour sets thay I don't have, and if someone has missed some old set, well, I have them all configurated as I previous say, including tracklisting and photo.

Old Post Dec-03-2007 23:44  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for jmrecillas Click here to Send jmrecillas a Private Message Visit jmrecillas's homepage! Add jmrecillas to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PvDoBseSSioN
Ibiza Addict

holy crap that's alot of info, a little FYI, his shows are not live, he told me himself during the summer, they are taped and he just adds his tour dates to them

Old Post Dec-04-2007 03:17  France
Click Here to See the Profile for PvDoBseSSioN Click here to Send PvDoBseSSioN a Private Message Add PvDoBseSSioN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
BloodlustShaman
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by PvDoBseSSioN
holy crap that's alot of info, a little FYI, his shows are not live, he told me himself during the summer, they are taped and he just adds his tour dates to them

just curious though

he did said that it was HIM that does the mixing and not only the track selecting?

Old Post Dec-04-2007 03:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for BloodlustShaman Click here to Send BloodlustShaman a Private Message Add BloodlustShaman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jmrecillas
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by BloodlustShaman
just curious though

he did said that it was HIM that does the mixing and not only the track selecting?

Yes, he make every set, and every one of them last two hours divided in two parts; there is not one set that actually has been played on stage. If you look TL from Tsekh Music Festival in St. Petersburg and same set from Perfecto on Tour you will find that he doesn't play at all same trackselection. This is important if you are looking for real live sets. If this is not the case, you don't have any problem at all. As I say in other Oakenfold review, the most astonishing about studio sets and live sets is that he mix with the same skills and mastery. Infortunatelly, when he mix on stage, he is more risked, and make things that no one make on studio. In November 1995, when he was in Mexico for Creamfields with Hernan Cattaneo, he made an astonishing improvisation with four albums to make a remix based on Queen's We will rock you that in fact doesn't exist. In some old live performance he actually made a special version of Bullet in a gun mixing final vocals and Samuel Barber's Adagio for strings in the Ferry Corsten remix, just a few weeks that he actually made his own version of this astonishing tune. As a matter of fact, it would be nice that Oakenfold would make a special album with this and many more of his live mixes that doesn't exist but you can really hear here and there in some live shows.

I hope this information could be interesting for some people out there.

And thanks for reading.

Old Post Dec-04-2007 04:27  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for jmrecillas Click here to Send jmrecillas a Private Message Visit jmrecillas's homepage! Add jmrecillas to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TheVrk
Mediterranean Canadian

Wow
I cant believe there's still this much talking about Jokenfold

Old Post Dec-04-2007 14:22  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for TheVrk Click here to Send TheVrk a Private Message Visit TheVrk's homepage! Add TheVrk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PvDoBseSSioN
Ibiza Addict

the best one was when he broadcasted a set from ultra music festival.... he never played there!

Old Post Dec-04-2007 18:00  France
Click Here to See the Profile for PvDoBseSSioN Click here to Send PvDoBseSSioN a Private Message Add PvDoBseSSioN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
XaNaX
I <3 global warming

I wish Oakey would stop playing Sex'N'Money so much

Old Post Dec-05-2007 13:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for XaNaX Add XaNaX to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PvDoBseSSioN
Ibiza Addict

quote:
Originally posted by XaNaX
I wish Oakey would stop playing Sex'N'Money so much

and Bad Apples - Get it on! his tracklists are so predictable, he's been playing the same tracks for 52 weeks!

Old Post Dec-05-2007 19:49  France
jmrecillas
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by PvDoBseSSioN
and Bad Apples - Get it on! his tracklists are so predictable, he's been playing the same tracks for 52 weeks!

Yes, I'm agree with you, guys. Its seems to be that Oakenfold, little by little will eventually stop playing many of tunes that he has been playing for 52 weeks (I think that this happen in two or three weeks, but it would be preferible that he really stop play this tunes right now [and I say this even being myself a really big Oakenfold's fan]). This is so much for anybody (almost minimalistic, and Philip Glass even been so boooooring many times, do never something even close to this).

And of course, there is so many things concerning Oakenfold that we can talk, many that requires clarifying, only if we do it in the propper manner, and with arguments and ideas. Just for mention three or four:

1. There is a set of 1 hour that is supposed it was played in Brighton Beach in November 8th, 2000. You can actually hear the voice of Pete Tong announcing the set, but I have never seen in any page a tour date of Oakenfold with this date. Even in Oakenfold.org neither in troonik.com

2. There is a set called A Voyage into Trance 2 that I download two or three years ago, but I have never seen in any web page such an album, even in discogs [that, by the way, is not such a web page into trust, because I see that some Matt Darey's albums doesn't appear there].

3. There is a Jean-Michel Jarré & Paul Oakenfold labeled set, that of course is not from Jarré, and neither probably Oakenfold's.

4. This are some other sets that I have that its supposed are by Oakenfold, but who the hell really knows? I add size.

* Paul Oakenfold - Voyage into Trance 2 [69 MB]
* Nothern Lite, Anthony Ryder, Tiga, Underworld, Luke Slater, Paul Oakenfold, Ellen Allien - Live @ Sonne Mond U [394 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold 80's Hits Trance megamix - Human League Yazoo OMD Pet Shop Boys Boy George Clash B52's [185 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold - House 2002 Club Ibiza (2002 Remix - White Label) [146 MB]
* Oakenfold, Sasha, Cox & Digweed - Immence Velocity [69 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold - Live @ Lovefest Afterparty [84 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold - Live from Shanghai @ Club Bon Bon (Part 1) [57 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold - Live from Shanghai @ Club Bon Bon (Part 2) [56 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold & Jean Michel Jarre - Tong (Promo mix) (1) [151 MB]
* Paul Oakenfold feat. ATB live set [51 MB]

My guess is that most of this are really fake ones, like that with Jarré (I guess is something as a joke of a moron that labeled wrong some set made by someone else). Which ones of these are fakes and what are for sure of Oakenfold? And, clearifying this point, is there any possibilties of stablish which date belongs to any of them? And finnally, I have not that set from ULTRA festival. Is that set in which a bunch of f***ing morons interrupt broadcasting talking like monkeys and then after suddenly its cut out and play Politics of Dancing 2 out of nowhere? If is that set, there is no doubt that is a piece of crap and for sure fake.

Old Post Dec-06-2007 07:30  Mexico
Stanza
Natural Born Trancer

quote:
Originally posted by jmrecillas
Yes, he make every set, and every one of them last two hours divided in two parts; there is not one set that actually has been played on stage. If you look TL from Tsekh Music Festival in St. Petersburg and same set from Perfecto on Tour you will find that he doesn't play at all same trackselection. This is important if you are looking for real live sets. If this is not the case, you don't have any problem at all. As I say in other Oakenfold review, the most astonishing about studio sets and live sets is that he mix with the same skills and mastery. Infortunatelly, when he mix on stage, he is more risked, and make things that no one make on studio. In November 1995, when he was in Mexico for Creamfields with Hernan Cattaneo, he made an astonishing improvisation with four albums to make a remix based on Queen's We will rock you that in fact doesn't exist. In some old live performance he actually made a special version of Bullet in a gun mixing final vocals and Samuel Barber's Adagio for strings in the Ferry Corsten remix, just a few weeks that he actually made his own version of this astonishing tune. As a matter of fact, it would be nice that Oakenfold would make a special album with this and many more of his live mixes that doesn't exist but you can really hear here and there in some live shows.

I hope this information could be interesting for some people out there.

And thanks for reading.

Judging by his recent sets these few years I would much prefer to hear these studio mixed sets then any real live set from him.

His set from Ibiza last year was absolutely fucking horrible

Old Post Dec-07-2007 03:37  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Stanza Click here to Send Stanza a Private Message Add Stanza to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
XaNaX
I <3 global warming

quote:
Originally posted by Stanza
Judging by his recent sets these few years I would much prefer to hear these studio mixed sets then any real live set from him.

His set from Ibiza last year was absolutely fucking horrible

Was that the set where he played like 60% his own productions off his new album? He should keep that shit to 1-2 tracks at the most in a set

Old Post Dec-07-2007 13:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for XaNaX Add XaNaX to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Stanza
Natural Born Trancer

Yeah the track selection was absolute shite.

He must of been so off his face that night cos the set was full of terrible trian wrecks. I have never heard a set been been mixed so badly before.

Old Post Dec-07-2007 15:00  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Stanza Click here to Send Stanza a Private Message Add Stanza to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Tracks Section > Tracklist Requests / Postings > Perfecto on Tour 01-50. A general overview
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread