Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > FIFA World Cup 2006 - Germany > Zidane's Headbutt thread (please post all Zidane related stuff in here)
What do you think of Zidane's attitude?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Shameful (there are no excuses) 37 37.76%
Fair (Materazzi deserved it) 55 56.12%
Neither (you have no opinion on this issue) 6 6.12%
Total: 98 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (48): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
svens_bath
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire
we're not talking about rugby here. football is not meant to be played that agressively.

but of course there is that famous saying

'football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans
rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen,'

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:00  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for svens_bath Click here to Send svens_bath a Private Message Add svens_bath to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RapidFire
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by svens_bath
but of course there is that famous saying

'football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans
rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen,'

I guess that makes american football a hooligan's game played by hooligans.

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:08  Serbia
Click Here to See the Profile for RapidFire Click Here to Email RapidFire Click here to Send RapidFire a Private Message Add RapidFire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chesco
out to lunch

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire
I guess that makes american football a hooligan's game played by hooligans.

No it just makes it a shite sport.

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:09  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for chesco Click here to Send chesco a Private Message Add chesco to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
svens_bath
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by chesco

its alright..but american football is a hooligans game played by pansies...look how much padding the ****s wear.

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:11  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for svens_bath Click here to Send svens_bath a Private Message Add svens_bath to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Put on robe & wizard hat!

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Ocean
they're pretty irrelevant too. Like he's the only one whos ever done a foul on purpose, ive seen worse.

The fact that others do the same doesn't make things less worse. If anything, it unfortunately makes people get used to what shouldn't happen in the first place.

quote:
Originally said by Maurice Moss
I came here to kick ass and drink milk... and I've just finished my milk

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click Here to Email Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RapidFire
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

no argument there

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:23  Serbia
Click Here to See the Profile for RapidFire Click Here to Email RapidFire Click here to Send RapidFire a Private Message Add RapidFire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
isoterra
hi

quote:
Yip it's pretty clear the lampost is the culprit.

it's frank lampost! finally making himself useful on the pitch

Old Post Jul-11-2006 21:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for isoterra Click here to Send isoterra a Private Message Visit isoterra's homepage! Add isoterra to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Groundhog Boy
Stupidity Offends Me

quote:

its alright..but american football is a hooligans game played by pansies...look how much padding the ****s wear.

They might wear a lot of padding, but due the contact in the game, the injuries are even more common than in soccer. Also, the body sizes of the players on a American football field at one time vary a lot more than on a soccer pitch. Most linemen are over 300 lbs, while a quarterback may only be 200 lbs.

You might think they're pansies, but I'd like to see how you hold up to being repeatedly hit and thrown the ground 100s of times a day over a 10-15 year career.

The fact is both sports have their merits. You guys bitching about US football all the time are no better than the people here who think soccer sucks. It's funny that a lot of people in the US think soccer players are pussies because they fall when barely touched and roll around on the ground for minutes, and you think they're pussies for using padding. People on both sides of the ocean just need to get over themselves.

Here you go America you are free to do as we tell you
We want your soul
Your cash, your house, your phone, your cash, your house, your life" -Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul

Old Post Jul-11-2006 22:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Groundhog Boy Click here to Send Groundhog Boy a Private Message Add Groundhog Boy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
svens_bath
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Groundhog Boy
They might wear a lot of padding, but due the contact in the game, the injuries are even more common than in soccer. Also, the body sizes of the players on a American football field at one time vary a lot more than on a soccer pitch. Most linemen are over 300 lbs, while a quarterback may only be 200 lbs.

You might think they're pansies, but I'd like to see how you hold up to being repeatedly hit and thrown the ground 100s of times a day over a 10-15 year career.

The fact is both sports have their merits. You guys bitching about US football all the time are no better than the people here who think soccer sucks. It's funny that a lot of people in the US think soccer players are pussies because they fall when barely touched and roll around on the ground for minutes, and you think they're pussies for using padding. People on both sides of the ocean just need to get over themselves.

chill winston. im kidding on..suge knight use to be an american footballer didnt he, and hes a bad mamma-jamma for sure.

Old Post Jul-11-2006 22:48  United Kingdom
Groundhog Boy
Stupidity Offends Me

quote:
chill winston. im kidding on..suge knight use to be an american footballer didnt he, and hes a bad mamma-jamma for sure.

I wasn't getting all excited about it.

It's just a common theme I've seen in this forum all World Cup, and the padding comment has been made repeatedly and I just don't get it. If you look at the way those guys hit each other, it'd be inhumane to send them out without pads. Soccer players get fouls called for minimal contact quite a bit and it's for their protection. In American football, they aren't fouls because that's how the game's played, and it's designed to be more violent, thus they need the padding.

It's like saying boxers are pussies because they use gloves and don't bare-knuckle.

We want your soul
Your cash, your house, your phone, your cash, your house, your life" -Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul

Old Post Jul-11-2006 23:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Groundhog Boy Click here to Send Groundhog Boy a Private Message Add Groundhog Boy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
shaw
Rochester's Finest

quote:
Originally posted by Deejiuana
*checks Inconspicuous's flag*
USA
ahhhhh, now i get it.

It's not an issue of point of view. I said it was offensive, but not racist. Something can be offensive based on race-related issues but not be racist. Racism is defined by intent, not perception. Doesn't make it right. It just means you should use a different word to describe it. I was debating the syntax, not the morality & made that pretty clear.

Ironic, though, that your own discriminatory bias led you to that response, though.

> S u s h i p u n k . P h o t o g r a p h y <

Old Post Jul-11-2006 23:12 
Click Here to See the Profile for shaw Click here to Send shaw a Private Message Add shaw to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Groundhog Boy
Stupidity Offends Me

There was an article on Sports Illustrated's website about why one columnist doesn't understand why this is a big deal and was justified, not by the comment, but by the diving. I didn't really find it to be an amazing colum, but thought it fit in well considering the American football talk in the past few pages, and it does raise a couple of points.
quote:
Picture this. Michael Strahan is tired of offensive linemen grabbing him, strangling him, chopping at his legs, talking never-ending trash, generally messing with him in fringe illegal methods and getting away with it. So he head-butts someone.

Will he get thrown out of the game? Probably not. He'll get a flag. But put him in the context of World Cup Football and the ridiculous grand opera tragedy it has become and he would not only get thrown out but a lifetime of greatness would be ruined -- at least for now.

Zinedine Zidane is not a flopper or a whiner or a moaner. I have never seen him pull one of those scenes from the last act of La Boheme, enacting his death tableau on the field after the merest brush of contact. I haven't seen him lying there at death's door while they go through with the most ridiculous of all dramas, the entry of the stretcher.

Imagine if the NFL were like that. Half a dozen stretchers called for during the course of the game, whereupon the nearly deceased leaps off it, shakes off the very fingers of the Evil One and trots back onto the field. Maybe Zidane was tired of all this, of this travesty, which rewards all the things that we were once taught were cowardly, but can be used to great advantage in this game.

So Zidane slammed a guy. He lost it. Writers all over the world are competing with themselves to heap scorn on France's greatest player. You know something? I don't blame him for getting sore. Almost every time I could find him on the screen, he had someone tugging at his shirt, tripping him or messing with him in some sneaky way.

The problem is he doesn't hit the canvas as the rest of those prima donnas do. So the ref must figure nothing is happening. Sure, he should have held off on the head butt, but to put the defeat of his team on his shoulders is a reach.

They say his magic foot would have provided the penalty kick France so desperately needed at the end. Did you see the one he scored in the first half? Guys like ABC announcer Marcelo Balboa were gushing about what a clever little shot it was, but hey, it hit the bar on top and landed three inches away from not being a goal. The one that France missed at the end was the same kick, only this one bounced just outside the line.

I'll tell you another thing. I just about had a bellyful of this Balboa guy. First he complains about all the flopping. Then, when France gets away with one to set up Zidane's penalty kick in the first half, he tells us that the guy "did a great job of selling it." Yeah, a great acting job. Accent on great.

It's like hearing Balboa congratulate a pickpocket for the deft way he lifted a guy's wallet. I love World Cup Soccer. I hated this game. I feel sorry for Zidane, who has a temper, just as I do. Or couldn't you tell?
Source

We want your soul

Old Post Jul-11-2006 23:12  United States

tranceaddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > FIFA World Cup 2006 - Germany > Zidane's Headbutt thread (please post all Zidane related stuff in here)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (48): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread