Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Why trance will go down the pan
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
burner69
tranceaddict

Why trance will go down the pan

OK, I'm new here, hi!

I've been going to trance nights for about 18 months now, and been into trance music for about 6 years. Out of my group of friends I'm the only one who's really into trance, although a lot of them enjoy listening to it. Only recently, however, have I come into contact with other people's views who follow trance like I do, who know the names of tunes, particular DJs styles etc. These people I'm referring to are you guys.

What have I heard? That trance today is shit. That if anybody likes Tiesto, PvD, Armin, they are mindless whores sucked into the concept of superstar DJs. Modern trance tunes are rubbish. The scene is full of wankers who aren't there for the music. Etc etc.

OK, first of all, to tackle the issue of recent trance tunes being shite... sorry what? Just because you don't like the style does not mean it's crap. As with all things, if you've been following trance for a while and all of a sudden it isn't 'how you like(d) it' there's going to be resentment. But tunes like whiteroom - someday (especially the instrumental), kuffdam & Plant - Summer dream, and signalrunners - 3000 miles (Not sure when this was released, but I've only just bought it so I'll include it), are all quality tunes IMO. If you don't agree with that then maybe you just don't like the way trance is going. I'm quite happy.

And superstar DJs?
I haven't seen Tiesto for a while, but next friday I'll find out if he's just as bad as all the anti-Tiesto people keep telling me. So for now I won't comment on him.
Pvd? Amazing. I saw him for the first time in July, after a weekend of dancing I was exhausted, about to go to bed when I was told he was playing. I like to hear what the fuss is about with DJs, so I went to have a stomp. And... it was amazing. He fucked up spectacularly half way through (this is Global Gathering 2005, sure you all know about that little oopsie he made), but apart from that the set was gorgeous. Flowed beautifully, and contained a lot of songs I'd not heard before, but gave me the shivers.
I'm sure a lot of people were there for name PvD, I suppose I was, but the fact was he played a damn good set, and everyone enjoyed it. The only people who would have been spoiling the fun would be people standing around telling people to stop worshipping this guy, he's just a DJ, you should be here for the music.

Now, as I said, a lot of my raving fellowship don't follow trance, they know the odd DJs name, but stil come to trance nights. And you know what, they enjoy it. They don't know a single track that gets played, they rarely know the DJ but they just get down and have a good time. If I see a DJ who I've heard some good sets from before, or heard some good tunes they've produced, I'll go and listen to them. That's the point. You can't say that people shouldn't go to see DJs, they should go for the music. The DJs are the music. Their sets represent their style, if you like certain styles of trance you'll go and see certain DJs, simple as that.

Who are the people making the scene shit?
Idiots who go around preaching to people that they can't like certain DJs, that certain kinds of music are shit, that the scene is in decline, nobody's there for fun anymore.

There are sheep who go to raves for the sake of a name, but a lot of the time I'm chatting to somebody at a rave who's having a great time, they aren't concerned with who's spinning, they're too busy concentrating on enjoying it.

Peace

Old Post Dec-02-2005 13:21  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for burner69 Click here to Send burner69 a Private Message Add burner69 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

the drugs man.. its all about the drugs

Old Post Dec-02-2005 13:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nrg2Nfinit Click here to Send Nrg2Nfinit a Private Message Add Nrg2Nfinit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
slinkyhead
Still a tranceaddict.....

fortunately the twats that you referred to that moan (ie a significant amount of ppl on here) are in the minority.

Old Post Dec-02-2005 15:37  England
Click Here to See the Profile for slinkyhead Click here to Send slinkyhead a Private Message Add slinkyhead to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Col
Strachan

This is the point I made in the Tiesto trainwreck thread.

Trance these days is completely overanalysed. At the end of the day, it's just music, and if it makes people go crazy in a club then it is successful. However, EDM seems to be political for some people - it's not about the music itself but it's about what the music symbolises, where the music came from, who spins it and how obscure it is.

As slinkyhead said, there aren't enough of these desperate, pedantic cynics to ruin the scene, so it doesn't really matter.

Guys like Ishkur will continue to sit in the background with their red faces and clenched teeth, while their incessant bitter whining is worshipped by a small clique and ignored by everyone else.

Old Post Dec-02-2005 15:55  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Col Click here to Send Col a Private Message Visit Col's homepage! Add Col to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
HomerSimpson
Senior tranceaddict

you have to remember that a BIG BIG majority of people who follow trance and Actually Love it instead of bashing it all the time, dont even know about this site. Anyway even on TA only a small number of people are stupid and narrowminded. you get those people everywhere.

Trance is much more deeper than just sounds to us, you listen to it with your ears, I listen with my mind.

Old Post Dec-02-2005 16:05  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for HomerSimpson Click here to Send HomerSimpson a Private Message Add HomerSimpson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Serp
4/4

TA-syndrome

Old Post Dec-02-2005 16:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Serp Click here to Send Serp a Private Message Visit Serp's homepage! Add Serp to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Col
However, EDM seems to be political for some people - it's not about the music itself but it's about what the music symbolises, where the music came from, who spins it and how obscure it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Serp
TA-syndrome

These guys are 100% correct.

There's a word that sums up this sort of behaviour, and that word is 'reject.'

Old Post Dec-02-2005 16:27  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

seriously can we just shut the fuck up with all of these stupid threads. listen to trance if you want...i don't think anyone really fucking cares what you listen to. jesus christ how many stupid threads do we have to have about the same subject created by the same people? if you like trance start a thread about some trance you like...if you don't...start a thread about some artists that you like and lets talk about fucking music...

Old Post Dec-02-2005 16:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Floorfiller Click here to Send Floorfiller a Private Message Visit Floorfiller's homepage! Add Floorfiller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RapidFire
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Floorfiller
seriously can we just shut the fuck up with all of these stupid threads. listen to trance if you want...i don't think anyone really fucking cares what you listen to. jesus christ how many stupid threads do we have to have about the same subject created by the same people? if you like trance start a thread about some trance you like...if you don't...start a thread about some artists that you like and lets talk about fucking music...

agreed, theres too much emphasis on the scene itself and whos behind it rather than whats really important; the music

Old Post Dec-02-2005 16:43  Serbia
Click Here to See the Profile for RapidFire Click here to Send RapidFire a Private Message Add RapidFire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sleepydragon
Supreme tranceaddict

trance went to shit a long time ago
where have u been the last time any trance tunes were made that i can honestly say i really like was 2003

Old Post Dec-02-2005 17:04  England
Click Here to See the Profile for sleepydragon Click here to Send sleepydragon a Private Message Add sleepydragon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
UnWorldly
Neigh!

I don't care much for obscurity or DJ names, but I do care alot about the messages embedded in the music that I listen to. I gladly admit that music is kinda a political thing for me and that I search for music that symbolizes certain things. I think that the meanings behind pieces of music need to be analyzed so that the messages can be revealed.

I don't dance to a song just because I like the way the baseline is programmed or because the beat is catchy, but rather because I enjoy what the song means and the ideas behind it. All music has a message in it and it is worth analyzing to find those messages.

That said I feel like the messages in most trance music are becomming less thoughtful and more vain over time. There are a few exceptions (including some tiesto songs beleive it or not) that I feel have good messages inside of them. Alot of songs these days seem like the author did not even put a thought into any kind of meaning for the work but rather they just banged out some nonsense sounds and cliches and released it hoping that people in the audience would find some sort of meaning for themselves. Alot of tunes have really stupid meanings in them too, silly things about relationships and socializing, I like to call them "greeting-card messages". To me music has to have a meaning that I like in order to be enjoyable. Alot of the music in my collection of old stuff seems to have such a wild untamed feeling in it compared to new tunes that sound so boringly innofensive and poplike. The messages coming from trance tunes are more and more resembling the cliche messages of pop tunes and I find myself enjoying my evening outings less becuase of it.

Old Post Dec-02-2005 17:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for UnWorldly Click here to Send UnWorldly a Private Message Add UnWorldly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
slinkyhead
Still a tranceaddict.....

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire
agreed, theres too much emphasis on the scene itself and whos behind it rather than whats really important; the music

and the drugs

Old Post Dec-02-2005 17:21  England
Click Here to See the Profile for slinkyhead Click here to Send slinkyhead a Private Message Add slinkyhead to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Why trance will go down the pan
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (10): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread