Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Advanced Mixing Techniques: Phasing, Doubeling and Advanced EQ Techniques
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Scorchio
Sorry! We Are Circoloco

Advanced Mixing Techniques: Phasing, Doubeling and Advanced EQ Techniques

Hi.
Ok, So I have been DJing for about 3 years on CDs and vinyls, and I've got to a point where I'm not satisfied with my mixing,
I'm already well trained in beatmatching and EQing but I would like to learn how to make my mixing more interesting and creative, switching frequencies doesnt do it to me anymore, and so I would appriciate it allot if some of you could drop your tips about your advanced EQing, Drop Mixing, Phasing and Doubeling as an effect (I saw Derrick Carter do this its awesome!)

Thanks in advance.

SIGN THE "WE WANT SASHA & DIGWEED @ BUENOS AIRES ON DVD" PETITION!

Old Post May-31-2005 20:00  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for Scorchio Click here to Send Scorchio a Private Message Add Scorchio to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ_RoKo
Senior tranceaddict

im in the exact same boat man, some useful tips on advanced mixing would be great to make my sets a lil more interesting for me and my crowd. cheers.

Old Post Jun-01-2005 09:08  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ_RoKo Click here to Send DJ_RoKo a Private Message Visit DJ_RoKo's homepage! Add DJ_RoKo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Abhay
banned user

SAMMMMMMEeeeeeeeeee

everyone should get together and come up with ideas, please don't bash each other....

Old Post Jun-01-2005 09:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Abhay Click here to Send Abhay a Private Message Add Abhay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ_RoKo
Senior tranceaddict

i got some simple tips from a thread i started a while ago, that others posted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

bokus

If the the vinyl im mixing out of has a strong ending synth at the point
I match, I will have the high turned up cut the mid's , keep the bass
around 12, and when im mixing down the track, Ill bring it back up with
volume so the synth is hitting hard every one in awhile till the next
vinyl hits a new set of bars.

moondog

there is plenty you can do, even with trance. for example, you could
get the new track beatmatched, cue it at the beginning of the next
phrase of the current track, and then say, drop 1, 2, or 4 beats from
the cue track in while cutting the bass from the playing track. Or you
could again start the cue track one phrase from the breakdown of the
playing track, cut the bass on the cue track, and slowly bring it in so
that it's at almost full volume by the time the breakdown is approaching,
then cut the cue track when the breakdown starts, gives listeners the
impression that a new track is coming in until they hear the breakdown
of the track that was already playing. As someone else said, you do need
to know your tracks to do this. Just a couple of very simple things you
could do, or you could get an FX pad.

mzvirbulis

love making snipits of parts of other tracks like the high feq...
lately i played John Askew - blackout with Active Sight - out of our lives.
i droped AS On the finish of the last breakdown and it just goes nicely with
that synth while with the pumpin tune of askews.

i got big pants
tranceaddict

i love cutting in mixes. cutting = switch to another channel during a
high hat. or sometimes after a beat phrase has ended, throw in a part of
the track in cueing up, usually the melody. (granted its harder to do this
with trance)

also love kicking in the bass every so often just to get that extra "umph"
if im about to go into a harder track.

dinoXpress

yeah i feel that, and during the breakdown you can add the bass frequencies
from your next track so you have like a soft umph from a hard kick fillin
in the breakdoen from onw track. on the right track is a lot of fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------

and thats all i got, few hints, but i would still like more hints from others, that are a lil more advanced or technical, rather than just simple eq'n n cutn, just like the name of this thread says.

peace.

Old Post Jun-01-2005 10:06  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ_RoKo Click here to Send DJ_RoKo a Private Message Visit DJ_RoKo's homepage! Add DJ_RoKo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

quote:
Originally posted by DJ_RoKo

and thats all i got, few hints, but i would still like more hints from others, that are a lil more advanced or technical, rather than just simple eq'n n cutn, just like the name of this thread says.

peace.

well theres oly so much one can do wth 2 turntables and a mixer with eqs. right?

unl;ess you want to get into turntablism, and add those elements to your set, i dont know whta to tell you.

cutting layering dropping beattools, a capellas, samples from scratch records using two copies of the same records (not sure how this would go down with trance..)

dropping a beat from ur next song in off time

IE.

Song 1.
beat----beat----beat----beat----beat----beat----
Song 2.
----beat----beat----beat----beat----beat----beat

doign this for over a period of 8 beats, can add a nice effect especially at the end of a phrase if the next thrack ur mixing in had a very basic intro. careful tho, make sure its beatmatched well. or ull turn a controlled fire, into a massive flamefest.

without an efx unit,

im afraid to tell you theres not much else.

and if im wrong, nothing would make me happier than someone correcting me.

Old Post Jun-01-2005 13:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for Allied Nations Click here to Send Allied Nations a Private Message Add Allied Nations to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chesco
out to lunch

beat juggling and sampling. That's what i'm practicing at the minute.

Old Post Jun-01-2005 13:31  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for chesco Click here to Send chesco a Private Message Add chesco to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jeremy H
Ja hallå?

quote:
Originally posted by dinoXpress
well theres oly so much one can do wth 2 turntables and a mixer with eqs. right?
(...)

We can always try to add som CDJ techniques?

Even if som ppl here don't like spinning CDs, you all must admit that CDs give us more freedom..
So if anybody have any nice techniques for the CDJ1000s, I'll be happy to read them and try them out

Old Post Jun-01-2005 14:06  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy H Click Here to Email Jeremy H Click here to Send Jeremy H a Private Message Add Jeremy H to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy H
We can always try to add som CDJ techniques?

Even if som ppl here don't like spinning CDs, you all must admit that CDs give us more freedom..
So if anybody have any nice techniques for the CDJ1000s, I'll be happy to read them and try them out

u are right.

for example, on the cmx 3000 there are these 3 hot cure buttons which i love to program on an intrumental part of the track, and just go mad with mixing up the track fiddling with the melody its hard to explain, just kinda jamming with the hot cues either on the track thats live or the cued track, like a sampler almost..

there are so many more but im too lazy to post them all

Old Post Jun-01-2005 14:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for Allied Nations Click here to Send Allied Nations a Private Message Add Allied Nations to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak
Insert witty comment here

use 3 at once....will open up your sets enormously- especially if you start doubling up with two copies of the same record and stuff like that.

3 at once with an effects unit on the go as well will blow your mind.

Old Post Jun-01-2005 14:41  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

quote:
Originally posted by Freak
use 3 at once....will open up your sets enormously- especially if you start doubling up with two copies of the same record and stuff like that.

3 at once with an effects unit on the go as well will blow your mind.

freak you are so right.

now we must find a way to grow that third arm.....

Old Post Jun-01-2005 14:52 
Abhay
banned user

See,

at this stage i use a laptop, and I really want somethign to make my sets more interesting.... other than special effects and the like... i just wanna be really good mixer.

I was just wondering if ALL mixers came are 4 channels, so i can add some turntables, adn essentially have the 4 differnt sources... that way the computer can be the FX machine etc. etc. blah blah

Old Post Jun-01-2005 15:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Abhay Click here to Send Abhay a Private Message Add Abhay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Allied Nations
Make it happen cap'n

quote:
Originally posted by Abhay
See,

at this stage i use a laptop, and I really want somethign to make my sets more interesting.... other than special effects and the like... i just wanna be really good mixer.

I was just wondering if ALL mixers came are 4 channels, so i can add some turntables, adn essentially have the 4 differnt sources... that way the computer can be the FX machine etc. etc. blah blah

hes thinking!

http://www.pssl.com <--- check out mixers/equipment there.

not all are 4 channels, dj mixers range from something like 2-16 channels?

being a really good mixer takes a lot of time, and it looks to me liek ur just starting out.. so practice.

you could have as many sources as you wanted, if you can handle them all.

Old Post Jun-01-2005 15:52 

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Advanced Mixing Techniques: Phasing, Doubeling and Advanced EQ Techniques
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread