Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > High end Monitors for late 90's to early 2000's Trance?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Surgoflight
tranceaddict in training

High end Monitors for late 90's to early 2000's Trance?

What is high end in this era? I guess the answer is dictated by the quality of the bulk gear back in those days that made trance?

All I know is my mid range Neumann 120 monitors are not impressing me anymore with late 90's - early 2000's trance, what are examples of High end monitors that give a big difference?

If this was jazz or classic music, I guess $8000 Dynaudio's. But I'm sure that's overkill for any trance.

Thanks.

Old Post Jun-24-2014 08:57  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Surgoflight Click here to Send Surgoflight a Private Message Add Surgoflight to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
XDR
Living The Ableton Life

Re: High end Monitors for late 90's to early 2000's Trance?

A good monitor will give you the sound as it is, regardless of what music you're listening to.
Recent years have brought advancements to monitor technology that allows for better monitoring for less money. It would seem logical to take advantage of that, rather than picking up something from the 90's.

quote:
Originally posted by Surgoflight
If this was jazz or classic music, I guess $8000 Dynaudio's. But I'm sure that's overkill for any trance.
Thanks.

That just depends on how good you want your trance to sound I guess. Of course having more detail could mean the imperfections in mixes become more apparant but that's exactly what a monitor is supposed to do.

Old Post Jun-24-2014 11:03  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for XDR Click here to Send XDR a Private Message Visit XDR's homepage! Add XDR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

In that period, the studio standard was Mackie Hr824's (first the mk1's then from about 2001, the Mk2's).

Larger, higher end studios used the Dynaudios BM12 or 15's, Genes 1031a's Adams and slightly later (around 2002) Quested f11's became popular, but in terms of numbers, the Mackies were the most popular.

A lot of smaller, budget studios used Behringer Truth B2031A's. They lso looked a little like the Gene's they were sort of named after, but were basically good rip offs of Mackie's HR824's but cost half the money. They were actually, really good budget monitors; one of the few things that Behringer really nailed.

Now if you're asking for monitors that will sound good today, then I'd suggest any good detail, flat monitor. In terms of engineering back then, a lot of music was made on samplers and midi sequenced synths, so my personal take would be to avoid anything that has harsh upper frequency response, such as the newer ADAMs or Gene's.

I'd suggest Focals or Yamas (to make a change ) as they both will be detailed and have a rounded punchy mid/bass response.

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list DJ RANN is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

lol spot on. everyone had the mackies.

Old Post Jun-26-2014 18:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PivotTechno
senseless

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
A lot of smaller, budget studios used Behringer Truth B2031A's. They lso looked a little like the Gene's they were sort of named after, but were basically good rip offs of Mackie's HR824's but cost half the money. They were actually, really good budget monitors; one of the few things that Behringer really nailed.

They still make 'em, and they're awesome if you're on a budget. Even better with the matched 2092A sub, which they unfortunately took out of production.

WestsideWax Soundcloud

WestsideWax Mixcloud

New! WestsideWax Archives

Old Post Jun-27-2014 12:26 
Click Here to See the Profile for PivotTechno Click here to Send PivotTechno a Private Message Add PivotTechno to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
clay
Supreme tranceaddict

anything with a 15" bass will do for 1990 trance.
for 2000 trance you may want a 18" and a 12" as stuff got harder.

as this is djbooth i assume you mean for dj monitors/booth monitors? no fucking 6,5" will do there....

Old Post Jun-28-2014 14:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for clay Click here to Send clay a Private Message Add clay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by PivotTechno
They still make 'em, and they're awesome if you're on a budget. Even better with the matched 2092A sub, which they unfortunately took out of production.

Unfortunately, if I remember right, they changed them in about 2004/5 - the old 2031a's were really good but Behringer decided (I think because the could on longer make/get the parts for the drivers) to slightly change the design and they went from being great budget monitors to very average.

The "new" versions still aren't terrible as such, just they weren't quite as good as matching the mackie sound at the time, then things moved on brands like Yama and JBL put out budget monitors that made the Truth's look even more mediocre by comparison.

I remember in the 90's/early 2000's, it was literally:

On a budget? Truths.
Got Some money? Mackies.
Got a lot of Money? Dynaudio's or Questeds.

And please don't ever mention a sub for stereo monitoring again. Enough puppies have been drowned for that already.

Old Post Jun-28-2014 22:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list DJ RANN is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PivotTechno
senseless

No, never for monitoring, but paired with the tops, they make for clear, warm listening/dancing sound in a small room.

WestsideWax Soundcloud

WestsideWax Mixcloud

Last edited by PivotTechno on Jun-29-2014 at 03:45

Old Post Jun-29-2014 03:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for PivotTechno Click here to Send PivotTechno a Private Message Add PivotTechno to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Supreme tranceaddict

LOL, who uses a sub to monitor their mixes at home?

Warm listening? LOL

The Innocence Lost Podcast every 1st Saturday of the Month at 6:00 PM Eastern on LazerFM
quote:
Originally posted by ucforange
EDM sucks ass but gimme the crowd that goes to LIV or Mansion for Afrojack

Old Post Jun-29-2014 03:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list PaULiN0 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PivotTechno
senseless

Hey, why don't you post something about yourself again, that has zero relevancy to the thread, so you can carry on with that facade of self-importance you seem to value so much?

Unless they have a production time machine, OP asked for monitors for listening. A sub is a perfectly legit addition to a setup for such purposes. "Warm" has been used as a descriptive for sound quality for aeons.

Maybe try thinking before you post, as the majority of the time that you do, you reveal yourself as a senseless, coddled twat who has far more money than he does brains.

WestsideWax Soundcloud

WestsideWax Mixcloud

Old Post Jun-29-2014 13:48 
clay
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
LOL, who uses a sub to monitor their mixes at home?

Warm listening? LOL

if i had a huge room with sound treatment id easily get a 3 or 4 way system mains with 15" subs in addition to the nearfields for sure. i think anyone can agree on this. you need to test your mixes on a system that is similar to the aimed marked (the clubs). at this moment i can only do this in my car which isnt at all good enough.

Old Post Jun-29-2014 15:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for clay Click here to Send clay a Private Message Add clay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Supreme tranceaddict

I never heard of someone mixing in a 2.1 system in room in a house. Well there you have it.

Sorry if I sounded rude but don't make fun of my fucking reloops man.

The Innocence Lost Podcast every 1st Saturday of the Month at 6:00 PM Eastern on LazerFM
quote:
Originally posted by ucforange
EDM sucks ass but gimme the crowd that goes to LIV or Mansion for Afrojack

Last edited by PaULiN0 on Jun-29-2014 at 15:37

Old Post Jun-29-2014 15:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list PaULiN0 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > High end Monitors for late 90's to early 2000's Trance?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread