Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Noob needs a hand with ableton and creating trance
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
curryvonworst
tranceaddict in training

Noob needs a hand with ableton and creating trance

As the title says who can help me mix with ableton, i have been messing around with it for a long time but i need that extra boost from someone that knows it well to teach me how to really mix propperly with it like one could with the decks.
Im fine with donating for the help so, i hope someone can get me on a good jumpstart on how to work with it and maybe even create a trance track from step to step.
Im in the CET time zone.

Old Post Oct-17-2014 10:56  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for curryvonworst Click here to Send curryvonworst a Private Message Add curryvonworst to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
echosystm
super wow maker

Just push the trance button. Instant hit.

quote:
Originally posted by floyd741
i think echosystm is a pretty cool guy. eh pwns robby rox and doesn't afraid of anything.

Old Post Oct-17-2014 12:06  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for echosystm Click here to Send echosystm a Private Message Add echosystm to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Noob needs a hand with ableton and creating trance

quote:
Originally posted by curryvonworst
i have been messing around with it for a long time

a) stop messing about and start taking it seriously

b) how long is long?

Old Post Oct-17-2014 13:12  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
curryvonworst
tranceaddict in training

ive been touching ableton (sounds pretty odd this) for over 2 years now however i never really put time into it to make something proper always throw down the bass and mid and make it sound okish. However i have come to the point where i never ever finished mixing up one mix always i would run into a point where id have myself in a corner where i couldnt mix the two songs. Then i came allong tranceaddict and figured (like you said), quit messing around and take it more serious. I know ill never be a pro but i sure would like to make it a proper hobby

Old Post Oct-17-2014 21:02  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for curryvonworst Click here to Send curryvonworst a Private Message Add curryvonworst to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Andy28
Supreme tranceaddict

Eh? So are you wanting to make music or mix music as in djing?

Old Post Oct-17-2014 21:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy28 Click here to Send Andy28 a Private Message Add Andy28 to your buddy list Andy28 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
curryvonworst
tranceaddict in training

Figured id start off with ableton first get to know the program better, and be able to mix the songs together ive seen a few tutorials however they gave a nudge into the right direction however i want/need a good push

Old Post Oct-17-2014 21:23  Netherlands
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

really.. just grab one of your favorite Trance tracks.. import it into Ableton. From there. Warp, and then follow the progression of the percussive elements. Start with the kick to get the arrangement. Then add, claps, ride, hi-hats, and snare. On the break, add some fx, to emphasize it. Then, some more fx to emphasize the the drop. At this point you haven't added any bass or synth elements. But that's coming. But not first before you add your clock. You have to have a clock. This could be as simple as a tick tock tick tock.. Once you get just a basic time going, throw some delay on it. Then. Figure out where you're going to drop the bass. Its best to start with the off beat.. From there, you have your time, and you have some bass. Depending on the key, I'd throw in a pad using a corresponding chord progression. Then I might add a second layer for the bass using an alternating pattern which compliments the original bass. Like a High Bass and then a low bass. From there, allow you creativity to expand the track. Its kind of generic considering you're using the arrangement of someone else track. But You can always find a second track, make a splice, and then create a new arrangement using two songs. Its cool.. but will help get you going..

something like this:

p.s.

I like the two track idea because then if you make a good cut.. you can glue it back together and have a nice track to dj with.. plus the one you just created.. Good stuff...

P.s.s.

oh and if you include a piece or two out of the tracks you use that would be cool.. kinda to acknowledge what the producer did before you.. or you could set out to create a perfect sibling as so that they go together perfectly..

Still think 3 cuts is best.. with 2 songs.. and if all the parts hit on the marker.. you can move different pieces around.. create a crazy arrangement..

expand out.. and then build-up =))

and if you need a groove to get you going.. grab your mic and say something in a particular cadence.. then mirror it with your synth and add fx.. Good way to get going.. and you might have a piece of vocal to use later..

and always keep a piece of the percussive element going throughout the main parts.. so you can move time.. and emphasize those parts with lasers.. zap that shit..

speaking of lasers.. your fx kit is pretty important. I'd try to imagine telling a story with it. You could be in the gym boxing, jumping rope, hitting the punching bag, slugging someone in the gut. That's like what DVBBS and Martin Garrix did.. Even tho in Helicopter imo, he crashed it.. You could be a wizard with a magic wand and swirl your rises and falls. Or you could fly like a jet, or ufo.. If your flying an a ufo I'd use lasers.. Perhaps a jet, missiles and machine gun samples.. You could also be a cowboy and rope up the particular sound, or use the zipper and zip it up.. But there has to be some continuity in your fx package in order for the track to be good.. And don't crash your aircraft fx. If your jet or ufo is taking off.. fucking don't run it into the ground.. and if your dropping bombs.. there should be an explosion.. fx is pretty important..

Shooting Lasers (with pitch bend up to 24)

I'd also figure out if my tracks as a producer are going to be rise of the machines, or aliens, or if your going to fight ghosts. Ghosts are probably the easiest, where as machines and aliens are a tad bit harder. Imagine the fx reel off of those movies.. I'd gather all the sounds for whichever appeals to you the most and then use those.. But don't jump around. If your fighting machines fight machines. Aliens, fight aliens.. And don't try it with a bi-plane.. or a ufo.. aliens and machines don't mix. Use your imagination.

then you'll end with something like this.. (percussive track)

and then.. if you just use your music prowess to engineer a proper sound then you'll get something like this..
http://djryan.com/audiosample.mp3 .. which is what I've done since writing you this tutorial.. (with an automation added to the bass line)

perhaps slap a "Simple Delay" on both your claps/snare or ride.. so you can also flip it from one side to another..

THEN YOU BUILD IT SOME MOARRRRRR!!
http://djryan.com/audiosample2.mp3

I guess after that you can turn on an arpeggio.. grab a few chords and let it roll over the top of everything..

Last edited by DJRYAN™ on Oct-18-2014 at 06:55

Old Post Oct-17-2014 21:26 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRYAN™ Click here to Send DJRYAN™ a Private Message Visit DJRYAN™'s homepage! Add DJRYAN™ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Domesty
tranceaddict

There you go, some serious insight by no other than DJRYAN™.

Go make some sick beats.. or mixsets or... ehm? war of the worlds stuff?

Propably you shouldn't.

Just start watching a ton of tutorials, they are out there just search.

For starters, you shouldnt just "start off first" with a program. Choose the weapon of your choice learn the basics, and start experimenting.

Old Post Oct-18-2014 15:06  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Domesty Click here to Send Domesty a Private Message Add Domesty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
curryvonworst
tranceaddict in training

Thanks for the replies guys, and especially djryan. What you wrote is still a bit high fetched for me but it points out the main idea's

Old Post Oct-20-2014 08:05  Netherlands
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

Ive spent so many hours over the last 4-5 years watching tutorials.. trying to figure out the best way to produce EDM and if you want your music to "move" like how your accustomed to hearing, then the way I recommended is the best way. It'll allow you a chance to immediately have structure to your track, and then, you can concentrate on what sounds you want to use. From there, I'd go back and play w/ your initial MIDI Notes to add variance and then keep going.. Build out and then up..

Old Post Yesterday 04:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRYAN™ Click here to Send DJRYAN™ a Private Message Visit DJRYAN™'s homepage! Add DJRYAN™ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Andy28
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by curryvonworst
Thanks for the replies guys, and especially djryan.

He's know around here as the oracle.

Old Post Yesterday 15:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy28 Click here to Send Andy28 a Private Message Add Andy28 to your buddy list Andy28 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

there are sooooo many quality producers in this sub-forum alone.. I'm no oracle.. I just want people to know what I know.. or at least think I know..

Old Post Today 03:48 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Noob needs a hand with ableton and creating trance
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread