Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > 25 keys keyboard, and more importantly, a motor vehicle transmission debate
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

25 keys keyboard, and more importantly, a motor vehicle transmission debate

i see numerous threads across the the internet like '25 vs 49 keys', new users looking for advice... and almost unanimously the opinion is absolutely go for 49 keys - you will very quickly regret buying 25 keys.

well i bought 25 keys and i am not yet regretting it. in fact in have discovered little 4 bar chords and progressions (or whatever they're called!) that i'm VERY pleasantly surprised at, and i am not sure i would have found these on a bigger 49 keys board - at least not so quickly

maybe the cut down stature of 25 keys makes it easier for beginners to digest. 49 keys may be a little daunting, even though it is the same thing with more octaves ready available.

i haven't read anything about piano theory or anything so i am surprised at how quickly i have learned these little routines. it's not like playing an actual complex melody or anything - just like leads or basslines.

most synths only sound good (or at their natural best) over the span of two octaves anyway. what are people with larger keyboards doing with them that 25 keyers can't?

i will be upgrading in the future and i am looking for reasons why it should be 49 instead of 25 keys, considering the space it takes up. i think it would be another 25 keys though. in the middle would be ideal - 37 keys - then i would never even have to press the octave button - but those seem to have fallen out of fashion somehow.

Last edited by Sushipunk on May-28-2015 at 00:11

Old Post May-20-2015 10:40  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
aquila
Supreme Pantsaddict

49 or more keys takes up a lot of space, but 25 keys can easily run out of notes. Tit for tat, I suppose.

I don't regret buying a 25 key controller, but I have on several occasions wished I had a 49 key version when I run out of room laying down a large range of notes.

Old Post May-20-2015 12:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for aquila Click here to Send aquila a Private Message Visit aquila's homepage! Add aquila to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

The number of keys has nothing to do with beginner vs. pro. 4-year-olds can easily learn to play a full-sized piano. It has to do with space, portability, price, and how often you want to be bothered with the transpose buttons.

Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post May-20-2015 16:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

the smaller size has helped me find my bearings much more easier since it is only two octaves, halved down the middle.

otherwise, at twice the size, 49 keys, compartmentalising off separate octaves would be harder.

Old Post May-20-2015 16:34  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Originally posted by rubez
the smaller size has helped me find my bearings much more easier since it is only two octaves, halved down the middle.

otherwise, at twice the size, 49 keys, compartmentalising off separate octaves would be harder.

Harder? This isn't rocket science, dude. Knowing where notes are is the most minimal barrier to entry for any instrument, and if you can't get past that, it's past time to consider a different hobby. It's a repeating series of the same 12 notes FFS.

Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Last edited by cryophonik on May-22-2015 at 16:14

Old Post May-21-2015 21:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

This is all I could fit in my space. Just as well given how shit I am at playing.

Old Post May-21-2015 21:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
projecting self-hate

Rubez must be a shill account taking the piss, I like your style.

Old Post May-21-2015 23:06  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

no one said it was rocket science. that's a retarded statement.

if you have never done something before, then it is going to take a certain while until you get accustomed to it.

there's a reason why people start learning to drive in smaller cars as opposed to bigger, more powerful ones even though they do the same thing.

Old Post May-22-2015 09:42  Scotland
djshire
Senior tranceaddict

I've been thinking of getting a 25 key MIDI controller, because I have very little desk space and the Axiom Pro 49 I have takes up a lot of space

quote:
Originally posted by Intellekshual
Rave to the grave.
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid

djshire, you're a cool nigga.
quote:
Originally posted by Taipan
Agreed. You da man!

Old Post May-22-2015 15:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djshire Click here to Send djshire a Private Message Add djshire to your buddy list djshire is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
no one said it was rocket science. that's a retarded statement.

Yeah, well, sometimes even geniuses need the most basic things pointed out to them.

quote:
if you have never done something before, then it is going to take a certain while until you get accustomed to it.

Yeah, like counting past 25, or recognizing a recurring 12-note pattern. That's some advanced shit there.

quote:
there's a reason why people start learning to drive in smaller cars as opposed to bigger, more powerful ones even though they do the same thing.

Yup, learning to navigate anything more than 25 keys requires the same motor skills as operating a motor vehicle. And, since driver's education can take years for a guy like you, there's no telling how much longer learning to count past 25 might take you.

You've convinced me. A 25-key controller is probably more than you can handle. I mean, pattern recognition, that's some pretty heavy preschool shit right there, dude. Now, my son learned all the octaves on a full-sized piano during his first lesson in kindergarten a few years ago and no brain cells were run over by any student drivers in the process, but he was probably lucky...well, and obviously more gifted than you. So, stick with that 25-key beginner controller and be sure to wear your helmet and seat belt whenever you attempt to operate it. God speed, my friend.

Last edited by cryophonik on May-22-2015 at 16:35

Old Post May-22-2015 16:23  United States
Andy28
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by djshire
I've been thinking of getting a 25 key MIDI controller, because I have very little desk space and the Axiom Pro 49 I have takes up a lot of space

I done exactly that for the same reason and got a korg micro 25 key. An extra octave would be handy at times but it does what I need it to do. I never used the pots or pads on my other keyboard so I found this 1 ideal and cheap

Old Post May-22-2015 22:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy28 Click here to Send Andy28 a Private Message Add Andy28 to your buddy list Andy28 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
So, stick with that 25-key beginner controller and be sure to wear your helmet and seat belt whenever you attempt to operate it. God speed, my friend.

I visualized that for a sec.

Old Post May-22-2015 22:36  Yemen
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > 25 keys keyboard, and more importantly, a motor vehicle transmission debate
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread