Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Best way to get into producing?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Joeydav
tranceaddict

Best way to get into producing?

I'm looking at taking this more seriously now. I've had a small go of it in the past on FL Studio and learnt as much as I could on YouTube, but I still feel like there's loads of theory holding me back. I learn a lot better by asking questions and being shown how to do stuff, and I feel like videos can only teach me so much.

I've looked at courses but they're way out of my price range, a 12 month course costs around 10,000-20,000 with these guys;

http://www.pointblanklondon.com/cou...uction-courses/

Are there any experienced producers you can pay and have them help you out online? If so, would this be a good way to start and get a basic understanding of how everything works as opposed to going straight I to the deep end with little to no theory knowledge or production experience?

Old Post Apr-14-2015 14:10  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Joeydav Click here to Send Joeydav a Private Message Add Joeydav to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Best way to get into producing?

quote:
Originally posted by Joeydav

Are there any experienced producers you can pay and have them help you out online? If so, would this be a good way to start and get a basic understanding of how everything works as opposed to going straight I to the deep end with little to no theory knowledge or production experience?

Possibly but the cost you are prepared to pay would need to be more than they can earn in their other activities I suppose.

You'd need to be using the same kit they do otherwise a lot of the exercise would be futile.

For many of us though it just takes a lot of time and practice to be able to know what sounds are needed in a new track, I'm not sure you can learn this competence from watching someone?

I think a chap called Magnus on here might help you online?

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbox-divas

Old Post Apr-14-2015 15:15  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click Here to Email Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joeydav
tranceaddict

Re: Re: Best way to get into producing?

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler
Possibly but the cost you are prepared to pay would need to be more than they can earn in their other activities I suppose.

You'd need to be using the same kit they do otherwise a lot of the exercise would be futile.

For many of us though it just takes a lot of time and practice to be able to know what sounds are needed in a new track, I'm not sure you can learn this competence from watching someone?

I think a chap called Magnus on here might help you online?

Wicked, do you know whether he uses Logic Pro? And has he made many tracks? Has he tutored people before?

Old Post Apr-14-2015 15:28  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Joeydav Click here to Send Joeydav a Private Message Add Joeydav to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah, Magnus is a top bloke and he does both online production courses and vids.

I'm not sure, but I think he was living in Thailand for a while? His main DAW is cubase so you have to factor in that, although he may well do other daws too?

If you want someone in the UK who has experience with both Logic and Ableton, I can put you in touch with my mate Alex Parsons who runs:

http://16steps.co.uk/

He was quite sucessful as a DJ on the Hard House Scene peak, and then later for mnml tech and funky techno. Had a bunch a releases over the years on many respected labels and is now BAFTA winning composer.

He's really reasonable (nothing even close to the money you;re suggesting and you can pop down to his studio in London where he can give you 1 on 1 tuition if you need.

Tell him Tom sent you

Old Post Apr-14-2015 19:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
vinceGOLD
tranceaddict

teaching tools

Ye

there are some excellent tools that spin up your DAW and
any other people connected in the world with the same
daw. It's all done in realtime, as if they were sitting alongside
you and had their own mouse and keys into your daw
that you were editing.

DSL is needed ofcourse. They have built in webcams for live
video and sound. They seem like very polished tools.There are
a couple of the higher end pro studio tools (it was a producing story
i was reading yesterday)

cost seemed fairly reasonable and they have long free trials.
It could be an extra string to learning bow

Source Elements Source‑Connect

V

Old Post Apr-14-2015 21:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for vinceGOLD Click here to Send vinceGOLD a Private Message Add vinceGOLD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

Another option is to buy a Groove3 All-Access membership for $15/month or $150/year (or $99/yr if you wait long enough for a sale) and learn it on your own schedule.

EDM/electronica tutorials

http://www.groove3.com/str/Producin...ogic-Pro-X.html

http://www.groove3.com/str/Producin...ogic-Pro-X.html

http://www.groove3.com/str/producin...onic-music.html

http://www.groove3.com/str/remixing-in-logic-pro-x.html

Shit-ton of Logic tutorials:

http://www.groove3.com/str/logic-training-videos/

Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-14-2015 21:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joeydav
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Yeah, Magnus is a top bloke and he does both online production courses and vids.

I'm not sure, but I think he was living in Thailand for a while? His main DAW is cubase so you have to factor in that, although he may well do other daws too?

If you want someone in the UK who has experience with both Logic and Ableton, I can put you in touch with my mate Alex Parsons who runs:

http://16steps.co.uk/

He was quite sucessful as a DJ on the Hard House Scene peak, and then later for mnml tech and funky techno. Had a bunch a releases over the years on many respected labels and is now BAFTA winning composer.

He's really reasonable (nothing even close to the money you;re suggesting and you can pop down to his studio in London where he can give you 1 on 1 tuition if you need.

Tell him Tom sent you

That sounds good man, definitely up for this, any chance we can talk on PM?

Old Post Apr-14-2015 22:28  United Kingdom
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Of course, PM me and I'll send the deets.

Old Post Apr-15-2015 01:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joeydav
tranceaddict

quote:

Cheers, I've PM'd you.

Old Post Apr-15-2015 02:01  United Kingdom
Kam
Supreme tranceaddict

i would subscribe to SONIC ACADEMY.

Very cheap and the videos are very easy to understand. You will learn a ton.

Old Post Apr-15-2015 07:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Kam Click Here to Email Kam Click here to Send Kam a Private Message Add Kam to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joeydav
tranceaddict

quote:

I've sent you another PM mate. Have you been producing long by the way?

Old Post Apr-16-2015 01:21  United Kingdom
Joeydav
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Kam
i would subscribe to SONIC ACADEMY.

Very cheap and the videos are very easy to understand. You will learn a ton.

Cheer, I'll give that a go.

Old Post Apr-16-2015 01:21  United Kingdom

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Best way to get into producing?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread