Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Do you even hardware jam?
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Do you even hardware jam?

I know a few of us are fans of teh hardware.

I think it might be cool if there was a thread where we could post our efforts of live/improv/jam stuff.

I'm just about happy with my little setup (as far as it can go here) so I need to start practicing the live stuff now.

In the spirit of the thread I think it's ok to prepare midi and samples, but probably a good idea to veer away from tracks created with hardware and then mixed later.

I've been doing a few attempts over the last couple of months and I'm still not very good at all, but I just bought myself an APC so I'll try and do better with that!

Here's a short little 'thing' I did using the bloody mouse click method in Ableton Live. It's a bit crap, but it's a start!

Old Post Aug-07-2016 09:33  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I know a few of us are fans of teh hardware.

I think it might be cool if there was a thread where we could post our efforts of live/improv/jam stuff.

I'm just about happy with my little setup (as far as it can go here) so I need to start practicing the live stuff now.

In the spirit of the thread I think it's ok to prepare midi and samples, but probably a good idea to veer away from tracks created with hardware and then mixed later.

I've been doing a few attempts over the last couple of months and I'm still not very good at all, but I just bought myself an APC so I'll try and do better with that!

Here's a short little 'thing' I did using the bloody mouse click method in Ableton Live. It's a bit crap, but it's a start!

good idea - not everyone wants to make full tracks. I need to look into Push 2 maybe for doing some jamming

whats the kick there, Elektron?

Old Post Aug-07-2016 13:50  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

I've just grabbed an APC mini for now as I can't fit a Push 2 on my desk, it's surprisingly un-shit.

The kick is actually from........Sonic Academy Kick 2.

It's really, really good.

I've decided to keep all the drums inside Live for now, until I have enough inputs and outputs to route hardware drums the way i'd want to.

Old Post Aug-07-2016 14:08  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

So no cheating it should be videos posted only. That way we get to see how you jam, twistin knobs, triggering loops, and generally monkeying around etc.

Old Post Aug-07-2016 14:35  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Raphie
Mastering Engineer

All live,

No edits

Old Post Aug-07-2016 14:55  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mel David
So no cheating it should be videos posted only. That way we get to see how you jam, twistin knobs, triggering loops, and generally monkeying around etc.

I think ideally that should be the case, but I'm not sure how possible it'll be for some people. I have a setup here that I plan to start using soon and I'm happy to share any specifics of how I do my stuff (not that I'm an expert!).

In the spirit of just sharing performances and techniques audio only is cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Raphie
All live,

No edits

Always liked your analogue stuff.

One day I'll try a Cirklon.....

Old Post Aug-07-2016 15:00  United Kingdom
Raphie
Mastering Engineer

Thnx, actually I've sold mine, end of an era.
My analogue setup is now down to:
- Abstrakt Analogue Bassline
- Analog Rytm
- DSI pro 2
- ROLAND Integra-7
- MOOG mf104m

The rest of the synths and drumcomputers and fx are sold
As well as my API 2500 / 5500 and my Nail.

Still have plenty of outboard left, but felt I needed to scale down a bit
Bought myself an Obsidian black Mercedes E Coupe instead and fully BRABUS tuned it

Old Post Aug-07-2016 15:18  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Thnx, actually I've sold mine, end of an era.
My analogue setup is now down to:
- Abstrakt Analogue Bassline
- Analog Rytm
- DSI pro 2
- ROLAND Integra-7
- MOOG mf104m

The rest of the synths and drumcomputers and fx are sold
As well as my API 2500 / 5500 and my Nail.

Still have plenty of outboard left, but felt I needed to scale down a bit
Bought myself an Obsidian black Mercedes E Coupe instead and fully BRABUS tuned it

Any dickhead can buy an expensive car!!

Any dickhead with 70k in the bank.....cough

Why did you sell the Cirklon though? I've always liked the idea of one, but the flexibility of Live/Push/APC clip launching always keeps me there.

Old Post Aug-07-2016 15:23  United Kingdom
Raphie
Mastering Engineer

The Cirklon was fun, but both the rytm and avalon have a great dedicated sequencer
When you want to leverage all the goodies you need to use their onboard sequencer
The Pro2 i seqeunce either onboard as well or via Cubase.
Too many options made me less productive.
My new goal is minimalistic

Old Post Aug-07-2016 15:29  Netherlands
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
The Cirklon was fun, but both the rytm and avalon have a great dedicated sequencer
When you want to leverage all the goodies you need to use their onboard sequencer
The Pro2 i seqeunce either onboard as well or via Cubase.
Too many options made me less productive.
My new goal is minimalistic

I get that. I moved away from Cubase over to Live specifically because of the simplicity it brings to hardware/software jamming.

I even use Live to sequence the Analog 4 (don't tell Gearslutz...)

Old Post Aug-07-2016 15:33  United Kingdom
Raphie
Mastering Engineer

LOL, yes live with push, sort of gives that pattern switch freedom that the Cirklon brings as well.
My next jams are going to be more deephouse / acid "as it comes" stuff, not polished, just find a groove and a hook and jam away. I do a lot of stem mastering nowadays where i can still polish the heck out of details. Rough jams are a good counter activity.

Last edited by Raphie on Aug-07-2016 at 16:47

Old Post Aug-07-2016 15:41  Netherlands
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

The entire mix process bores the crap out of me, I much rather just piss about making stuff up on the spot and then ad libbing a track layout. I rarely (if ever) save what I've done either, just render the stereo output as I do it. Once it's done it's done.

Old Post Aug-07-2016 17:18  United Kingdom

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Do you even hardware jam?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread