Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Cakewalk is shutting down?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lucidity
Twilight Vanquisher

Cakewalk is shutting down?

I guess Cakewalk is going out of business. Sad news.... I donít use Sonar, but I do still use Z3TA. Whatís Dave gonna do now? Still going to stick with Sonar? Also, I wonder what happens if you need to download a synth again or something, will they still help?

Old Post Jan-08-2018 11:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Lucidity Click here to Send Lucidity a Private Message Visit Lucidity's homepage! Add Lucidity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

Yeah, Gibson already shut them down a month or so ago. It really sucks for the Cakewalk guys, who are a great crew that really looked out for their customers.

I'm still using Sonar, but I had actually already bought back into Cubase 9.5 a week or so before the announcement. I'll probably make that my main DAW again at some point now that it finally seems to be stable for me. Cubase was my main DAW for many years, but I had nothing but problems with it for many years and on many systems, so fingers crossed this time. I also still have/use Ableton and Logic, so I'm good.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Jan-08-2018 18:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

Didn't even get a notification email about this. I'll still keep using Sonar. Let's look at the positive of this:

Will put a stop to DAW upgradeitis. I hate subscription models and the need to constantly upgrade software. It hurts financially and wastes a lot of time.

If I am going to jump ship to another sequencer it will be a hardware one as they are more immediate and uses less power.

Just out of interest Cryo, which version of Sonar X was the most stable for you?

Why didn't Gibson sell off Cakewalk to another big corporation?

Old Post Jan-24-2018 06:51  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

The latest Sonar Platinum was the most stable version I used since v8.5

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Jan-26-2018 04:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

No to be mean to you guys, but I'm kinda amazed they lasted this long. I know the platform wasn't bad but they have to be 4th or 5th in the field and the other major players all have giant multinational corporations behind them (and even then they're not making a slew of money off DAWs).

It's sad becuase everything I've heard about the team was positive but I'm just not sure that they had much of a future given the competition.

Old Post Jan-28-2018 01:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

I bought into Cakewalk before Apple bought Logic. It was an awesome package for the price back then and they had the support of Roland before Gibson.
Anyway it doesn't break the software. It was a powerful & complete suite for me back in 8.0, specially after I added Komplete & Zebra 2.

I actually got really annoyed when they started introducing all those third party products, although I was excited about Melodyne.

Old Post Mar-08-2018 11:28  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

For those who haven't been keeping up, Bandlab has taken over and Sonar will live on, apparently as the same product, different name, and current license holders of fall products will be moved over to the new product at no charge.

Old Post Mar-10-2018 06:18  United States
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah I read about it on KVR. Cakewalk released a Sonar Mac prototype a few months ago so it was unexpected that they would go bust. I've never head of Bandlab. Wonder if they will honour the subscription model. I mean wasn't Platinum meant to be a lifetime subscription? Was hoping NI would buy them so their suite would be literally Komplete. Or Microsoft, since Windows 10 is going to be free eventually. Or Facebook...

Last edited by Mel David on Mar-13-2018 at 03:02

Old Post Mar-11-2018 08:44  Australia
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Doesn't particularly bode well for sonar users. Bandlab (from what little I know of them) seem to be a music creation social media platform. They also feel like an investment startup and probably picked off the bones of Sonar to incorporate a rock solid DAW in their platform, or maybe the plugs?

Might not be a band thing and it's better than Sonar just dying but we'll have to see what they do with it.

Old Post Mar-12-2018 21:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

According to their initial posts on the Cakewalk forum, this will be a continuation of the Sonar software, backward compatible, but with a new name (for legal reasons). They also said they're figuring out how (not if) they will honor the lifetime updates, and that all current Sonar license owners will automatically be upgraded. I see nothing but good things for Sonar users.

Old Post Mar-13-2018 02:06  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Cakewalk is shutting down?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread