Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Beatport launching free streaming service
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

Beatport launching free streaming service

(Dutch)
http://www.djbroadcast.nl/news/news...ng_service.html

Roughly translated quote
quote:
The most popular download site for electronic music, Beatport, will launch a streaming service in 2015 according to The Wall Street Journal. Beatport was bought by SFX in 2013 by SFX, the American entertainment giant which also owns ID&T.

The new streaming service should freely accessible. Advertisements are supposed to generate the necessary income. Beatport says the service will get the common streaming features. The new service will be added to the Beatport Pro website.

SFX is currently negotiating with the majors (Universal/Sony/Warner) to offer their catalog on the service. 90% of the content served will be from (relatively small) independent labels. According to the American newspaper the new service will also feature event information, artist profiles and Boiler room-esque live streams.

Not sure what to think. How about you?

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW (support by Above & Beyond & more)!
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix) OUT NOW!

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Yesterday 09:28  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
spread

Depends on the implementation, but my gut feeling tells me this will be tacky and shit. Need more info though.

Old Post Yesterday 12:20  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Unless you are big, why bother releasing?

Old Post Yesterday 21:39  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Originally posted by Beatflux
Unless you are big, why bother releasing?

My inner 14-yo just giggled out loud at that.

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Yesterday 21:44  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
deegee
Junior tranceaddict

Sounds to me like Beatport is going to eat up all the advertising revenue they can gobble while paying pennies or less to artists.

Old Post Yesterday 23:18  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for deegee Click here to Send deegee a Private Message Add deegee to your buddy list deegee is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

My reaction is bad; Beatport were bought out by a company that is essentially a hedge fund. It's purely about monetization for them - they looks at things in terms of accountancy.

That's why there were basically riots at the Beatport offices when it was announced that many people were being laid off, and sadly it was people who had been part of the start up culture (i.e. work long hours for little compensation because you'll get a promised payout in the end, just like google employees).

It will really just be another streaming service. The money is in streaming big artist's cheesey hits to the masses. Not a small number of plays for niche EDM.

If they don't separate it from Beatport's normal sales portal, RIP Beatport.

Old Post Today 02:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

I mean I honestly wouldn't mind having a streaming service for Beatport if you could perhaps subscribe to your favorite artists and labels and play their new material or something similar. It would be a nice, convenient way to listen to new releases etc.

Old Post Today 02:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Floorfiller Click here to Send Floorfiller a Private Message Visit Floorfiller's homepage! Add Floorfiller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Beatport launching free streaming service
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread