Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I totally get that what UR did was a political act, I just don't think they really had any wider revolutionary aims beyond the music business and their own community. I'm not an expert on the history of american politics but from what I've read, there is a long line of black american communists (which seems to always conviently get glossed over in the favor of the identity politics narrative) and while UR did employ some of the same signs and visual language, they aren't really part of that line.

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Hah, got any links to all this? I knew Szepanski (and probably Wolle XDP, who Tanith sort of fell out with) were hard lefties, but the whole Baader-Meinhof thing is news to me Probably cos I don't own a whole lot of Force Inc on vinyl.

It's on Tanith's private Facebook, which is public, I think. It's from 2014 or 2015, I think but i'm too lazy to dig it up

Wolle is pretty left but not a marxist or anything, he's kinda crazy anyways.

This is the site Szepanski runs now - http://non.copyriot.com/. A lot of his writing is kind of inpenetrable, I speak a bit of Deleuze-Guattarian but you basically have to be fluent to understand what he's saying half of the time

http://non.copyriot.com/immanent-non-musicology-deleuzeguattari-vs-laruelle/

Old Post Aug-10-2017 20:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

gotta admit, those force inc guys sound like my type of guys

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Aug-10-2017 20:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I'd say the difference is that Berghain is capital-T Techno, whereas you're really talking about trance events. A more loved up side of German clubbers obviously exists, otherwise the lush trance of Kid Paul, PVD and their ilk wouldn't have gained traction. But techno just isn't particularly PLUR. With a few exceptions, I've never found that out-and-out techno sets really hit the spot on E. When they did, it was more the exhilarating, high-energy end of the spectrum. The kind of doom-y industrial dungeon techno so closely associated with Berlin is just clearly not designed to trigger a rush. Practically the opposite.

ive always had the feeling that Techno is more about yourself, your own buzz...

whereas genres like house or prog or trance leaning type music is more about the crowd and the atmosphere, "the party"

Old Post Aug-10-2017 23:10  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
I totally get that what UR did was a political act, I just don't think they really had any wider revolutionary aims beyond the music business and their own community. I'm not an expert on the history of american politics but from what I've read, there is a long line of black american communists (which seems to always conviently get glossed over in the favor of the identity politics narrative) and while UR did employ some of the same signs and visual language, they aren't really part of that line.

I would argue that Black Lives Matter's platform more or less picks up the baton where the Black Panthers left off, in that they've adapted Marxist thought to fit a black nationalist narrative (original Marxist ideas would never be accepted in a black nationalist group that focuses on social justice, especially in a country that still hangs onto McCarthy's communist boogieman).

quote:

It's on Tanith's private Facebook, which is public, I think. It's from 2014 or 2015, I think but i'm too lazy to dig it up

Wolle is pretty left but not a marxist or anything, he's kinda crazy anyways.

This is the site Szepanski runs now - http://non.copyriot.com/. A lot of his writing is kind of inpenetrable, I speak a bit of Deleuze-Guattarian but you basically have to be fluent to understand what he's saying half of the time

http://non.copyriot.com/immanent-no...ri-vs-laruelle/

Cheers. Yeah, some of this looks far too sophisticated for a political pleb like me, but there is some commentary on more contemporary issues here, too. Unsurprisingly, it looks like Szepanski backs the recent mess Antifa made at the G20.

Old Post Aug-11-2017 09:50  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
(original Marxist ideas would never be accepted in a black nationalist group that focuses on social justice, especially in a country that still hangs onto McCarthy's communist boogieman).

But I mean, the Black Panthers were a combination of marxist ideas and black race politics focussing on social justice. Of course, they never got the widespread support that BLM does because of that.

quote:
Unsurprisingly, it looks like Szepanski backs the recent mess Antifa made at the G20.

I still think the riots were incredibly stupid from an pragmatic/strategic point but here's an article from the site that kind of got me thinking and I think it does a reasonable job defending them from a philosophic/theoretical standpoint. (I take you read german, right?)

quote:
Die im großen Feuer vor Budnikowski und Rewe explodierenden Dosen mit Haarspray und anderen unter Gasdruck stehenden und feuerfähigen Konsumgütern entsprachen den explodierenden und wie irre tanzenden Subjekten. Für sie war das Plündern der Surplus im plötzlich eingetretenen Ausnahmezustand der für Stunden untergegangenen Kontrollgesellschaft. Das Auftauchen einer verlorenen Freiheit, von der alle wussten, dass diese Situation nur kurzfristig sein konnte, musste exzessiv genossen werden.

quote:
Angesichts der verlorenen, weil wirkungslosen Formen des alten Protestes wie Streik oder Demonstrationen, ist der Riot derzeit offenkundig die Form, die noch erschüttert und registriert wird, in der die Eigentumsordnung wenigstens gebrochen ist. Für die alten Formen des Protestes gibt es nur noch den lapidaren Verweis auf die »Sachzwänge« des Systems und die Behauptung, dass der »freie Markt« alles bestens regeln wird. Der Riot ist die militant-ohnmächtige Wut gegen einen Zustand der totalen Dominanz der Welt durch Enteignung des Lebens und der instrumentellen Unterwerfung der Natur unter die Verwertungsmaschine des Kapitals.

http://non.copyriot.com/zum-riot-im...t-distanzieren/

Old Post Aug-11-2017 10:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
But I mean, the Black Panthers were a combination of marxist ideas and black race politics focussing on social justice. Of course, they never got the widespread support that BLM does because of that.

Yes, that was partly my point. I just figure that if you make the original ideas from a white European philosopher the leading principles for your black nationalist movement, it isn't going to go over well in the US.

quote:

I still think the riots were incredibly stupid from an pragmatic/strategic point but here's an article from the site that kind of got me thinking and I think it does a reasonable job defending them from a philosophic/theoretical standpoint. (I take you read german, right?)

Haha, I think Antifa has pretty much eliminated pragmatism from its roster of values. That's probably a debate for another thread than this one, though.

Old Post Aug-11-2017 14:04  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

I think what you guys are touching on something I've rationalized in some way. Black american music aside from pop music is almost always inherently political. House music is communist utopia music. Techno as a derivative is also political but more anarchistic and more about realism, thus why the militancy. I get confused and can't express it any further beyond that point because that's when the stuff gets shipped back to Europe and I dont know what that is. What is Kraftwerk? What is trance? What is UK garage, culturally? I dont know.

Last edited by wotyzoid on Aug-11-2017 at 19:41

Old Post Aug-11-2017 17:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

Luke Slater last night

every. fucking. time. amazing

Old Post Sep-24-2017 13:26  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
Luke Slater last night

every. fucking. time. amazing

jealous.. hes in my tops for productions and DJ... he comes around here like once every 15 years lol

Old Post Sep-25-2017 18:32  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
jealous.. hes in my tops for productions and DJ... he comes around here like once every 15 years lol

hes in great form last few years, highly recommend going to see him even if you have to travel!

Old Post Sep-25-2017 21:33  Ireland
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I love love love Luke Slater's early productions but I've never thought he was a particularily great DJ. Have never seen him play live.

Old Post Sep-26-2017 08:23 
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
I love love love Luke Slater's early productions but I've never thought he was a particularily great DJ. Have never seen him play live.

he plays fairly hard, not sure if that's your bag - ive only seen him 3 times now but brilliant each time

Old Post Sep-26-2017 16:29  Ireland

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWhich artist and track is this? [2007] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOSTR - ABC [2014]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread