Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > blocks vs clips
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

back when FL used blocks, i found it much more fun and intuitive to work with. now clips are the norm i find it a grind.

what are your thoughts on this? and why have blocks fallen by the wayside?

Old Post Mar-06-2015 11:26  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Visit rubez's homepage! Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

I was a bit intimidated first too when I realized they will be dropping the blocks completely, but I quickly started using clips and wouldn't go back to using blocks again, tbh. My workflow feels just a tad better now, as I can have automation clips with score in the same window, and even group them by relevant automation clips being "children" of the instrument they "belong to", like so:

Relevant automation clips to Mid pad are indented a bit. IIRC this kind of stuff wasn't possible with the blocks.

I'm not completely certain, but I could make a guess that this "block" system hasn't been possible in any other big DAWs.

Regarding FL in general.. It seems like they've done a few changes to the UI in 12, and I don't like it that much. The wires on the mixer are a very welcome helper though.

Old Post Mar-06-2015 12:45  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

interesting.

automation is something i haven't even gotten into yet, but have thought about. it emulates turning a knob on a filter? i guess clips are something you need to embrace if you are serious about producing for automation purposes at least.

FL is the only DAW that i've tried that was intuitive right away. i didn't need to read a manual or anything. i tried ableton live and was like... wtf. didn't even know where to start.

Old Post Mar-06-2015 12:56  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Visit rubez's homepage! Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by rubez
interesting.

automation is something i haven't even gotten into yet, but have thought about. it emulates turning a knob on a filter? i guess clips are something you need to embrace if you are serious about producing for automation purposes at least.

FL is the only DAW that i've tried that was intuitive right away. i didn't need to read a manual or anything. i tried ableton live and was like... wtf. didn't even know where to start.

Automation comes into its own when you start arranging a track, have you made a full track yet?

Old Post Mar-06-2015 13:50  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

not really, just short tracks with intro/build/break etc.

the blocks offered more spontaneity i thought.

Old Post Mar-06-2015 14:08  Scotland
zodiac9
Supreme tranceaddict

Clips are great, I can't ever go back to blocks. Seeing the automations is such a huge leap forward. I put off upgrading FL for so long, silly me, didn't know what I was missing. Ok, I'm still using an older version now, so I'm probably missing out on something.

Youtube

Old Post Mar-09-2015 06:24  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for zodiac9 Click here to Send zodiac9 a Private Message Visit zodiac9's homepage! Add zodiac9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

blocks and clips kinda sound like the same thing ie containers that are linked. i'm guessing you mean a thrucomposed arrangement style vs dropping in containers that are mini arrangements

Old Post Mar-10-2015 00:17 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

It seems to me like you're afraid of new things in general.

Old Post Mar-10-2015 00:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
blocks and clips kinda sound like the same thing ie containers that are linked. i'm guessing you mean a thrucomposed arrangement style vs dropping in containers that are mini arrangements

The actual difference between the block and clip approaches in FL seems to be that with blocks, you'll end up having a separate row for each "mini arrangement" in the playlist. For example Drums 1, Drums 2, Drums 3, etc. would all lie on their own rows in the playlist. Now, with clips, you'll "easily" place every relevant thing on the same row if you so wish; Drums 1, 2, 3 are now on the same row, more easily accessible and "readable" – at least for me. So, with blocks, different arrangements for the same instrument will grow your playlist vertically, with clips not.

Old Post Mar-10-2015 00:52  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by TranceElevation
It seems to me like you're afraid of new things in general.

Not as much as we all are afraid of your judgment.

Old Post Mar-10-2015 00:57  Finland
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

Perhaps he could try something new and quit trying to be a dick. terrible insults for people that should be somewhat creative.

I always found FL studio rather unintuitive. It really has potential if they would just add all the normal daw stuff as their automation is probably the most involved. Their patcher tool is quite cool as well although it is buggy.

Old Post Mar-10-2015 03:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
Not as much as we all are afraid of your judgment.

Thanks. Is good to know you perceive me as such authoritative figure.

Old Post Mar-10-2015 03:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > blocks vs clips
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSuper-cool bass heavy house - ID please? [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAalto - "Rush" (Super 8 vs Orkidea Remix) [2014]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread