Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Bal en Blanc 2012 review
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

Bal en Blanc 2012 review

could wait til tomorrow but meh..I'll post it now.

First half of BeB was lame, Angello and Armin on at same time was torture lol so I just hung out on concourse waiting for Markus Schulz.

Wow, what a set, very techy minimal tracks and then uplifting towards last hour to transition for Corsten. Armin was fluff, breakdowns, etc but Markus set the tone for the night with a set that cemented why he is tailor made for these kinds of parties. Tons of attitude, very hard, very tech, very dark, some nice FXs, nice samples. The party officially started once he hit the decks at 5AM.

Tenaglia had issues mixing but man, he would take you into that dirty, dark, sexually raw pit and then take you on a funky melodic, ass shaking disco-laced shift. All the influences were on display, some dirty, sikkkk acid house, some tribal, some techno, some tech minimal, some old popular vocals, but it all flowed as he had that consistent chuggy bassline throughout that defines these parties. Third time is a charm as his other two sets were forgettable for me.

Sooo much talent there that even during his set the floor looked pretty hetero and, in a rarity for edm, full of hot chix. Younger and predominately straighter crowd than your typical main/house room.

Got my ticket for $120, discounted, and I felt the party was worth that, imo. Good points were the great stage set up on both floors, excellent cooling ventilation, fast entry points this year (personal record 30 mins, arriving at 1215am on a reg ticket..and others I talked to were getting in within 45 mins max later in the night), great crowd and great music during the dirty hours. BeB was very packed but I think many showed up a bit later than in previous recent years.

BeB kept the essence of Montreal during the late hours.. you guys used Armin and Angello to move tickets but kept the BeB character very much alive later in the night. And I think a lot of n00bs who came for those djs were taken to the next level and probably loved it. DJs like Markus and Danny help to sell your brand, to imprint it, so mission accomplished!

But in typical Spin Laden fashion I had to find some negatives as the lineups for booze were a mess, very long waits. And the bathrooms could have desperately used an attendant to periodically clean them up. They became cesspools only just hours into the night.

Sound was fair close to the stage but the quality areas were limited.

Great seeing Marcus, Malek and Seany. Thank you again Marcus and guys, we'll have to do drinks when it's not so chaotic of a night for you all.

I got to do much of the night solo, meandering with the three different crews I met up with here and there but a chunk of it was on my own and I gotta say that at these Montreal massives you're never really alone

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Last edited by Spin Laden on Apr-11-2012 at 00:03

Old Post Apr-10-2012 01:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

I took it from the other thread and put it in here. This is pure gold

/MTLTA moderator wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by Yohan
Let this thread continue as a review thread

First time at Bal en Blanc. I'm glad that I went because I felt it's one of those things you do as an EDM fan, like going to WMC or Ibiza once in your life. The video screens, lights and laz0rs were off the world, despite feeling that the venue was a little too large to get the proper atmosphere. Top rate stuff visual display wise.

Listening to Jochen Miller was about pleasant as washing another dude's balls.

I keep setting low expectations for Armin van Buuren and he consistently fails to meet them. I'd say I was disappointed, except my opinion of Armin is so low that he'd have to play the set of his life for me to be merely disappointed. Still, if he didn't play so many gash vocal crap, I'd have liked him better, and he played the best of all the trance DJs I've seen.

Steve Angello's set had appeal of watching Chyna's sex tape. Ugh. Was not able to get close enough to see whether he was actually mixing or not. lol. Wasn't sure at times if I was listening to Ferry (when he plays electro ish trancey housey crap) or Angello, due to the utter level of suck displayed.

Nadia Ali wtf? Get off the stage and stop stealing my oxygen. Painfully terrible with her shrieks. (reminds me of Shrieky from Care Bears)

Fedde Le Grand sliced le grand fromage du stink. Predictable mainstream crap.

Markus Schulz started off well, but got very predictable and boring. His set became about enjoyable as getting hit repeately in the face with a rusty sledgehammer.

Ferry Corsten lost his spot as my favourite DJ with another predictable, and crappy set. Is he trying to follow down Tiesto's path with garbage electro-y junk? How have you fallen. *le tear*

I was willing to give Danny Tenaglia some time, but after an hour of pretty bland stuff that put me to sleep, I left.

Other than that, I had a pretty good time. (My pope hat may be best 25 bucks I've ever spent, and I can never get over how gorgeous les belles filles Montrealaises are)

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:

Old Post Apr-10-2012 01:09  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

more whining: $8.75 for beer and $2.60 for an orange

quote:

Old Post Apr-10-2012 01:30  Canada
DarknessBrotha
Supreme tranceaddict

Man....Tenaglia, tore it apart. Full audio assault with the Big room sound. Arrived at 6:30 am, perfect timing, in and out, no chit chat..straight to business. Started off with guns blazing HARD. Followed by some rumbling drummy tribal tech....I found he adjusted his sound a little for the venue. Some stuff I haven't heard him play before as well. Classic DT. The stage dance, the antics. No one does it like him. Paid 150 last minute....but was def worth just for that set. Good energy in the crowd, some old schoolers and tons of women.

Last edited by DarknessBrotha on Apr-10-2012 at 02:56

Old Post Apr-10-2012 02:20  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for DarknessBrotha Click here to Send DarknessBrotha a Private Message Add DarknessBrotha to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
technoaddict
Senior tranceaddict

are BeB sets ever recorded BTW?

Old Post Apr-10-2012 02:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for technoaddict Click here to Send technoaddict a Private Message Add technoaddict to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
HappyDude72
Senior tranceaddict

The trance room sets probably since they're streamed online except for 1 or 2 DJs. The main (house) room doubt it unless the DJs do it themselves.

Old Post Apr-10-2012 03:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for HappyDude72 Click here to Send HappyDude72 a Private Message Add HappyDude72 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Coxx
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by technoaddict
are BeB sets ever recorded BTW?
everyone but Armin and Markus as he will air his set as a GDJB world tour this week

Old Post Apr-10-2012 03:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for Coxx Click here to Send Coxx a Private Message Add Coxx to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Someone shoulda recorded DT's set and posted it without telling him.

Just for kicks.

Old Post Apr-10-2012 03:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Marcus007
marrrrkeeesssss

i'd be too afraid of his wrath

Old Post Apr-10-2012 03:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus007 Click here to Send Marcus007 a Private Message Add Marcus007 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Seany
tranceaddict

Spin nailed it on the button! You took the words right of my mouth brah, and I completely concur with your complete review!

Danny T and Markus were definitely the two show stoppers of the night.

I haven't been to a BEB since '09, but I love the way how they introduce each DJ. Had that nice "Sensation" touch to it. Professional voice over with quick stats about the history of the Dj.

I must say the set up in the house room blew my mind! The lighting, stage, and much love and credit for the VJ who made that room really magical.

Biggest rip off was paying $6.75 for a can of 7up! My stomach was upset so needed to drink something carbonated. Damn can of pop cost more than a red bull.

If you're a Markus fan and missed this show, shame on you, he completely took his set to another level. This is one inspiring DJ who takes the time and homework of putting a great set before a huge gig. Played some signature Big Room Destruction remixes like Danny Tenaglia's track - "Be yourself" (Markus Schulz remix) and some nice unreleased tracks as well.

Like everything that Spin and Darkness mentioned about Danny T's set was dead on. His set was complete "sex on the dancefloor". He played all genre' of all different types of house. A nice touch was his MC'ing throughout the set. His set was like a story with him being the narrator explaining us on how to move and feel.

This year's beb line up formula is what really makes BEB special. Bring in a top seller like Armin, PVD, or A&B in the tech room...Markus as the gatekeeper...and another top 10, local and uprising DJ. For the house...bring in Angello, Guetta, Deadmaus, locals, and a Victor Calderone, Danny T, or Carl Cox as a closing DJ.

Old Post Apr-10-2012 04:22  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Seany Click here to Send Seany a Private Message Add Seany to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Yohan
Champion of Deep&Nu-disco

quote:
Originally posted by Seany

I haven't been to a BEB since '09, but I love the way how they introduce each DJ. Had that nice "Sensation" touch to it.
I thought the chick announcer sounded like North American version of Pride tournament announcer...

Originally posted by chinamon
not true. i say "ugh"
but i am a tranny.

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
lol colour me retarded

Old Post Apr-10-2012 05:25  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Yohan Click here to Send Yohan a Private Message Add Yohan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

lol, Yohan on a roll. Here's some quotes from other thread, not counting the bottom one that's my sig quote hehe:

quote:
Originally posted by Alexx G
haha amazing. i see nothing has changed over the years. glad to see that at least you found enough positive stuff to have had a good time.

quote:
Originally posted by Yohan
lol. so far, I've never had a bad time in Mtl, despite having watched Toronto FC and the Leafs lose on Sat. not when you get to hang out with friends

ps: my review is supposed to be read with tongue in cheek sense of humour in mind. i don't wash other guy's balls, or watch Chyna's sex tape (once was terrifying enough)

quote:
Originally posted by Summerlover
Awesome!

Well Yohan, this is what happens when you always book headlining dj's that play the same stuff that everyone else plays. Originality is lost. What happened to the days when each Dj tried to show up the other, and usually all in good fun. Glad I didn't make the trip this year. I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and visuals, but musically, Booking these DJ's, you got what you should have expected

quote:

Old Post Apr-10-2012 12:48  Canada

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Bal en Blanc 2012 review
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback1998 Uplifting Track played by Tiesto [2004] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackBT vs. Sasha - "Remember Magnetic North" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread