Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Most significant and influential trance records of the 90s
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Dj Pluviose
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm not sure whether these are "influential" on a grand scale but here's some old original sounding stuff that maybe some of you have not heard....

Koxbox - Point Of No Return (Iontzer Remix)
Synthetic Progress - Acid Future
Earth Nation - Alienated (earth mix)
De Tune - Acid Dream
Cosmic Trigger - Ghost Of Acid
Marusha - Rave Channel
Renegade Legion - The Weeping Waste
Pyrote - Bycance
Wippenberg - Neurodancer (Original Mix)
Jon The Dentist - Global Phases
Cologne Summer - Sunshower

I was 2-5 years old when most of these tracks were released lol. There was no way I could experience stuff like this in my youth.

Last edited by Dj Pluviose on Jan-12-2018 at 05:06

Old Post Jan-12-2018 04:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Pluviose Click here to Send Dj Pluviose a Private Message Add Dj Pluviose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

I think compilations in the 90's had a huge influence as you got to listen tracks you wouldn't hear or find otherwise, as there was no internet and record stores didn't have all these tracks.
It's hard to tell which tracks had most influence, but I would say tracks which could be found on many compilations did have influence as many people (of which some started producing later) were able to listen them.

3th album single: Lisaya - Be Your Word [Vibrate Audio], click here

Old Post Jan-12-2018 22:25  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Trance-M is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by dazton_2000
Private Productions - Sexdrive (M&B's instructor Mix). What a fucking record that was from 1997!

Plus I used to listen on repeat:

CM - Dream universe (Tilt and Man with No Name Mix)
Tekara - Breathe in you

Definite Tonka's, but I don't think they were "influential" as such; Breath in You really was an extension of the tracks that came before it such as gamemaster and invisible (which were both remakes of Quench - Dreams, Point Zero by Li Kwan and Tilt Rendevous). I love that track but it was kind of more of the same as Darey started to churn them out.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 00:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
I think for me personally also a lot of impact had the older tracks (before 1995), especially the harder ones. Some that I think of:

Quench - Dreams
Dance2Trance - Power of American Natives
Jens - Loops & Tings
Nikolai - Ready To Flow
Paragliders - Paraglide
Jam&Spoon - Follow Me
DJ Hooligan - Culture
DJ Dave Davis - Transfiguration
Lunatic Asylum - The Meltdown
Vernon - Vernon's Wonderland
X-Dream - The 5th Dimension
RMB - Redemption
Meteor Seven - Signs Of Life

There's some gems in there (You know I was going to mention Loops and Tings lol). Some of this was more on the techno or Eruodance end of things, but it's amazing how diverse music was in those days.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 00:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
I think compilations in the 90's had a huge influence as you got to listen tracks you wouldn't hear or find otherwise, as there was no internet and record stores didn't have all these tracks.
It's hard to tell which tracks had most influence, but I would say tracks which could be found on many compilations did have influence as many people (of which some started producing later) were able to listen them.

Absolutely true. Unless you went promo shopping every week and had good connections, you relied on compilations. It's also where the money was at as you didn't really make money from singles, you made it from getting it on a compilation or even licensed. The nice thing was though that you needed singles to get it out there to have a chance and it kept the tracks coming.

I was lucky that I had tons of good record stores in central london and would go every week but you still missed things.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 00:25 
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I was lucky that I had tons of good record stores in central london and would go every week but you still missed things.

Without any doubt people living in the bigger cities had much better access to decent record stores. Sometimes I heard tracks and wasn't even able to order them because they weren't in their system.
But when we got the ability to pre-listen cd's in the record shops, listening compilations made it possible to listen many tracks in a short period of time.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 17:38  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Trance-M is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dj Pluviose
Supreme tranceaddict

Did the internet pretty much put many good DJ and artists out of business?

I think about all the legendary gems of the 90s.... the internet contributed to the destruction of these production record labels?

I mean back then, if you made a really hot track, it would sell in physical copy and you'd make some money, so that's why artists gave it their all, shooting for timeless classics. The internet changed that... so maybe that's why many stopped trying?

Old Post Jan-13-2018 19:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Pluviose Click here to Send Dj Pluviose a Private Message Add Dj Pluviose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Pluviose
Did the internet pretty much put many good DJ and artists out of business?

I think about all the legendary gems of the 90s.... the internet contributed to the destruction of these production record labels?

I mean back then, if you made a really hot track, it would sell in physical copy and you'd make some money, so that's why artists gave it their all, shooting for timeless classics. The internet changed that... so maybe that's why many stopped trying?

Nah, I think it's much more complicated than that, some hot tracks were made in just a couple of hours. I think of things like availability of tracks, pay per track, no need for complications (with the downside or risk of hearing less diversity), festivals killing clubs and their resident DJ's, technical progress in how to make music, lack of new sounds, producers who need to start DJ-ing, DJ's who need to start producing, a new generation of listeners and probably a lot more.

Old Post Jan-13-2018 20:04  Netherlands
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Pluviose
I mean back then, if you made a really hot track, it would sell in physical copy and you'd make some money...

That still happens nowadays, even more frequently than in the last decade, with the relatively recent resurgence of vinyl.

quote:
...so that's why artists gave it their all, shooting for timeless classics.

I don't think any classics were made with the artist's aim of making a classic. It just happens sometimes. Most artists, I think, make tracks for themselves, ultimately - having fun and just doing what they want. Some people will like the outcome, some won't - you can't please everybody.

quote:
The internet changed that... so maybe that's why many stopped trying?

On the contrary, I think the internet and SC actually contributed to the resurgence of vinyl, various old and new styles of electronica, and a host of new artists coming onto the scene. Many of the old record labels' demise had to do with artists no longer producing, or simply taking a new direction in their work, where they would get signed to other labels putting out that sort of style. Therefore I don't think the internet contributed to the demise of such record labels.

As for putting 'good' DJs and artists out of business - there are still plenty of oldschool artists/DJs doing their thing, so if anything, I think the internet contributed to their popularity, rather than the opposite. Of course, there were some pop and rock bands and such that blamed Napster, etc. for their lack of revenue - and this is understandable - but we're talking more about the EDM scene, in which case I don't think it applies as much, especially nowadays.

Old Post Jan-14-2018 00:40  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SawyerPowell30
tranceaddict in training

PVD - For an Angel
and Three Drives - Greece

Those are among the first trance songs I ever heard and I must have played each thousands of times.

Old Post Jan-27-2018 23:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SawyerPowell30 Click here to Send SawyerPowell30 a Private Message Add SawyerPowell30 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

For me, there is no more influential and important trance record than Humates love stimulation (paul van dyks lovemix). It came out in 1993 and was basically the sound of trance for the next 6-7 years. I would also argue that the countless imitations of it are a major culprit in turning trance into the shit cheesy genre it is today. I think it was Slam actually that once picked this song in a favorite list and said that its often imitated but never duplicated.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Jan-30-2018 19:46  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by paulversuspaul
For me, there is no more influential and important trance record than Humates love stimulation (paul van dyks lovemix). It came out in 1993 and was basically the sound of trance for the next 6-7 years.

I think it's a lot like Jam & Spoon - Odyssey To Anyoona.
Nice to listen, but I never have heard these in a club in the 90's.

Sunbeam - Outside World and Legend B. ‎– Lost In Love (1994) on the other hand were played gray, but never get mentioned as influential.
I just wonder, do YouTube views mean something?

Old Post Jan-30-2018 21:50  Netherlands

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Most significant and influential trance records of the 90s
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread