Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > America's Debt = "We're Screwed!"
Pages (34): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Zharen
Put down the plate

Had to bump this thread just to give a good laugh at this well educated answer:

quote:
Originally posted by juzfugen:
Heres a little hint for ya real estate ALWAYS appreciates.

I don't know about the Houston area, but seems like real estate from all around the country has depreciated and hurt the economy. But I guess that doesn't matter for someone of your ilk eh, juzfuckin?

quote:
We cleared right at 20 mil last month and were on that same pace this month. Alot of this has to do with local, where I live our housing market is hot while most of the country is going down. Houstons economy is based on the energy industry and $70 a barrel of oil have been good to us and people are throwing crazy money around this city

As long as peoples eyes are larger then their wallets there will defaults and theres a ton of money to made in forclosures.....

Yeah, people like you will just feed off other people's foreclosures and somehow manage to make money in spite of all this. You and your little family owned business. Other people's dashed hopes and dreams equates only to your profit margins. You're a real piece of shit.

Oh and btw, time has now proven that Shakka owned your fucking arrogant ass.

Old Post Jan-06-2008 07:50  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zharen Click here to Send Zharen a Private Message Add Zharen to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zookeeper
Supreme tranceaddict

Ahhh, how I love to revisit this thread over time..

I don't think juzfugen will reply to this slam...cuz I think his computer was inside his house, when the collections department changed all the locks.

How about that U.S. Dollar?

I, and others, didn't see that one coming.

I laugh when I look at some leftover British money, from my last trip, and if you look carefully...you can actually see it getting larger.

Old Post Jan-07-2008 03:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for zookeeper Click here to Send zookeeper a Private Message Add zookeeper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zookeeper
Supreme tranceaddict

and a funny..

Old Post Jan-07-2008 03:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for zookeeper Click here to Send zookeeper a Private Message Add zookeeper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fir3start3r
Armin Acolyte

A sobering map I just saw today....yikes...

Old Post Mar-12-2008 21:23  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Fir3start3r Click here to Send Fir3start3r a Private Message Add Fir3start3r to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zookeeper
Supreme tranceaddict

WOW!

Like the thread title says: "We're Screwed!"

I have never been an optimistic person, but geeeze The state of California is going to be in big trouble, and I can't see this getting any better in the near future.
This bleak outlook reminds me of the Carter years of the 1970's, when interest rates for mortgages were around 13% and fuel hit $1.00

I'm more concerned with fuel, right now (after paying heating costs of 852.00) but these two factors, happening at the same time, is like a one-two punch and we are wide open to a three-four punch which will be a K.O. to the U.S.

I am starting to shake

Old Post Mar-13-2008 04:24  United States
Fir3start3r
Armin Acolyte

quote:
Originally posted by zookeeper
I'm more concerned with fuel, right now (after paying heating costs of 852.00)

Please don't tell me that's /mnth?!?

Where the hell do you live?? Alaska? lol

Old Post Mar-13-2008 12:43  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Fir3start3r Click here to Send Fir3start3r a Private Message Add Fir3start3r to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

yup, there's plenty of ass-fucking left to be done before this economy gets worked out. The Fed just keeps throwing spaghetti at the wall and the bandaids amount to a game of whack-a-mole. Try to hammer one problem and another one pops up a couple of days later. What this economy needs is LESS government intervention so that the cleansing can happen and we can get the shit out of the system. However, the government will never let that happen b/c it's politically unpopular to look like they're not doing anything. Instead they will just make the problem worse and delay the day of reckoning. A quick and insightful read published by John Mauldin's guest writer the other day. The unpopular John Galt solution.

quote:
John Galt Plan Might Save US Financial System
By Caroline Baum

Let's face it: The Federal Reserve must be scared to death as it watches the financial system unravel.

Unravel would appear to be the operative word as leverage proves to be as toxic on the way down as it was intoxicating on the way up.

By late last week, events seemed to be spinning out of control. Credit spreads were blowing out, with tax-exempt municipal bonds out-yielding Treasuries by a record and the spread between Fannie Mae mortgage-backed securities and government bonds hitting a 22-year high. Treasury bill yields were collapsing (further). The U.S. dollar was sinking like a stone. And commodity prices, in their lofty ascent, had all the makings of a market unhinged from the fundamentals, which, after all, is the definition of a bubble.

Mortgage foreclosures hit an all-time high in the fourth quarter of last year while homeowners' equity, or the value of a home less the outstanding mortgage, sank to an all-time low of 47.9 percent.

This measure of owners' equity has been declining since the Fed started collecting data in 1945. (This isn't your father's housing market.) More unusual was the drop in the value of household real estate in the fourth quarter, one of a handful of declines in the half-century life of the series.

Margin calls are causing forced selling of assets (often what investors can sell, not what they'd like to sell), which makes them cheaper, which triggers additional margin calls and more forced selling. No wonder the Fed announced two initiatives early Friday before the New York Stock Exchange opened to address "heightened liquidity pressures."

Temporarily Permanent

The Fed said it was increasing the amount banks could borrow at the Term Auction Facility (TAF) to $100 billion this month compared with $60 billion in January and February. "The Federal Reserve will increase these auction sizes further if conditions warrant," the central bank said in its press release.

In addition, the Fed will make $100 billion available through term repurchase agreements, collateralized loans to Wall Street primary dealers.

Fifteen minutes after the Fed's announcement, the Labor Department reminded us that the economy's problems aren't strictly financial. Non-farm payrolls fell 63,000 in February, following a revised 22,000 drop in January. Employment has always been the most visible, and perhaps the most important, of coincident economic indicators. Your average Joe doesn't know, and probably doesn't care, if industrial production is expanding or contracting in any given month.

Waiting for a Plan

Jobs are a different story. Statistically there isn't much difference between a decline of 63,000 and a similar-sized increase. It's the sign, and the trend, that matter. Private payrolls fell 101,000 last month, the third consecutive monthly decline.

What is to be done? The Fed has lowered its benchmark rate by 225 basis points since September, with another 75 basis points expected on March 18, based on the prices of fed funds futures. It introduced, and now enhanced, the TAF to address liquidity needs.

President George W. Bush and Congress worked together to pass a $168 billion fiscal stimulus package, including tax rebates for savings-short households and tax breaks for business. The pace of mortgage delinquencies and foreclosures is outpacing Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson's ability to keep up with them.

Paulson said last week that the administration was looking at the mortgage-origination and securitization process, disclosure, regulatory and capital issues, and the rating companies. We can expect new proposals "in the weeks ahead," he said.

Galt's Solution

The following day, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke encouraged mortgage servicers to write down a portion of the principal on home loans, which would give owners some equity and discourage foreclosure. He advocated a bigger role for the Federal Housing Administration, a Depression-era agency that insures mortgages. Congress envisions an even larger role for the federal government.

Any day, I expect some government official to unveil the John Galt plan to save the economy.

Galt, the hero of Ayn Rand's magnum opus "Atlas Shrugged," stops the world by going on strike. He and the "men of the mind" literally withdraw from the world after watching their wealth confiscated by the looters (the government).

Toward the end of Rand's 1,000-plus page novel (or polemic), the economy is in shambles. Desperate, the looters kidnap Galt and prod him to "tell us what to do."

Galt refuses, or rather tells them "to get out of the way."

Road Is Cleared

You probably can sense where I'm going. Today's economic and financial crisis would resolve itself more quickly and efficiently if the government got out of the way. Yes, there would be pain. Some banks would fail. Others would clamp down on credit to atone for the years of lax lending standards. Homeowners-in-name-only would become renters. Housing prices would fall until speculators found value.

That's not going to happen. The bigger the mess, the more urgent the calls for a government solution, the more willing government is to oblige.

We want laissez-faire capitalism in good times and a government backstop against losses in bad times. It's a tough way to run an economy.

(Caroline Baum, author of "Just What I Said," is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are her own.)

Old Post Mar-13-2008 14:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Shakka Click here to Send Shakka a Private Message Add Shakka to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zookeeper
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Fir3start3r
Please don't tell me that's /mnth?!?

Where the hell do you live?? Alaska? lol

That's for a little less than two months. I heat with propane which is going right up with gasoline prices, about $2.89 per gallon, and I have a 500 gal underground tank. What can I say...I live in the country

And Rochester NY is usually about the same temperature AS Alaska, and I live on the shore of Lake Ontario, so I get BLASTED by Canadian wind.

...say, maybe I should look into wind power?

Old Post Mar-14-2008 03:42  United States
zookeeper
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Shakka
yup, there's plenty of ass-fucking left to be done before this economy gets worked out.

...and NO jar of vaseline in sight!

quote:

The Fed just keeps throwing spaghetti at the wall and the bandaids amount to a game of whack-a-mole. Try to hammer one problem and another one pops up a couple of days later.

Like this economic stimulus nonsense, yeah sure it's nice to get a little "free" money, but it really is not going to do any long term good. I will be just a bunch of Americans going to the mall or having an 8ball bender weekend.

quote:

What this economy needs is LESS government intervention so that the cleansing can happen and we can get the shit out of the system. However, the government will never let that happen b/c it's politically unpopular to look like they're not doing anything. Instead they will just make the problem worse and delay the day of reckoning.

Ya know, I'm doing all of my tax stuff and budgets for last year, and I'm fine for right now (sort of.. ), but if I don't see some kind of tax relief in the next few years, I might be in REAL trouble...it sucks, but numbers don't lie, and I don't see myself making more money each year to keep up with taxes (mostly school taxes!)

quote:
A quick and insightful read published by John Mauldin's guest writer the other day. The unpopular John Galt solution.

I good read, thanks!

Old Post Mar-14-2008 03:56  United States
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by juzfugen
Heres a little hint for ya real estate ALWAYS appreciates....

I know you'll never come back, but your dumb ass should be ashamed of what you said here. You helped perpetuate the lies that have exacerbated the problems we're seeing today. I assume you're gainfully unemployed today.

/I've probably quoted this dumb line of yours before, but it's worth bringing it up again to cast shame on you in light of the severity of the current problem which is being exacerbated PRECISELY by a problem you implied could NEVER happen!

Old Post Apr-02-2008 15:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Shakka Click here to Send Shakka a Private Message Add Shakka to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jerZ07002
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Shakka
I know you'll never come back, but your dumb ass should be ashamed of what you said here. You helped perpetuate the lies that have exacerbated the problems we're seeing today. I assume you're gainfully unemployed today.

/I've probably quoted this dumb line of yours before, but it's worth bringing it up again to cast shame on you in light of the severity of the current problem which is being exacerbated PRECISELY by a problem you implied could NEVER happen!

to be fair, over the long term real estate will inevitably appreciate because there is a finite amount of real estate available.

Old Post Apr-02-2008 15:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jerZ07002 Click here to Send jerZ07002 a Private Message Add jerZ07002 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by jerZ07002
to be fair, over the long term real estate will inevitably appreciate because there is a finite amount of real estate available.

You could make that argument for any commodity product in the world. Just today Newmont mining said that it was getting more difficult to find gold, yet gold prices have fallen precipitously over the last few weeks.

Edit: Just because the supply of something is limited, does not mean that it cannot become woefully overpriced (or underpriced for that matter), or that supply can, for a time, far exceed demand. Everything is cyclical and housing was a fat pitch to anyone willing to open their eyes to the reality of what was going on. Housing is even more complicated because of all of the regulations and red-tape involved in getting a mortgage, and now you have all of those underwriting standards being tightened and people who may have previously been potential home buyers in the loose-credit days are no longer the marginal home buyer as they have effectively been blocked out of the market.

Last edited by Shakka on Apr-02-2008 at 15:57

Old Post Apr-02-2008 15:49  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > America's Debt = "We're Screwed!"
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (34): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacksander k @ icon track [2002] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarkus Schulz pres. Elevation - Clear Blue [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread