Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Mixing in Mono
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SystematicX1
Supreme tranceaddict

Mixing in Mono

I have heard this on one to many occasions, Mix everything in Mono.
So, I have started doing so.
With that said, my ears are starting to confuse my brain because I am noticing distinct differences in my mix.
The problem I am having is that the samples I am using (which are fairly high quality)are sounding different than what my ears are discerning.ie I am banking all channels to one group and putting that one group on mono. I am getting separate instruments (snare,cymbals,etc) that are seemingly panned hard to a certain direction. Left,which is weird because they are in Mono.
Upon listening to a bounce of a new piece I started hearing everything on my left side speakers. I did a hard pan on my speakers and found my left side was much much higher than my right side, even though...I could still hear sounds out of my right.
I went back in to see if by mistake I may have had a specific pan setting on a individual channel but came up clean.
Is this just an adjustment that I will have to make because I am mixing in Mono and/or will the mix adjust once putting the stereo field on?
Kinda stumped

Old Post Sep-08-2020 16:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SystematicX1 Click here to Send SystematicX1 a Private Message Add SystematicX1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Teezdalien
Supreme tranceaddict

Interesting question, nice to see a new thread!

While I make no claim of being any kind of authority on mix techniques and engineering, I don't believe there are any rules you need to follow when it comes to mixing. There are however princples related to the physics of sound and psycho-acoustic phenomenons that lead to certain mixing ideas and techniques, in order to create a better sounding mix.

I'd seriously question the advice of mixing in mono, especially if it is causing you balancing issues later upon playback in Stereo. Personally I don't think it's good advice, but maybe it works for others...

Do you aim to produce entire tracks in mono?
Many sounds and samples I work with have stereo information and I'd want to be able to monitor that during the production process. While I'd reference a mix balance in mono playback to make sure it sounds good in mono, if I were mixing entirely in mono I think I'd make poor mix decisions when it comes to stereo playback, panning arrangement etc...

How are you collapsing the stereo field to mono?

Old Post Sep-08-2020 20:29  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Teezdalien Click here to Send Teezdalien a Private Message Add Teezdalien to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SystematicX1
Supreme tranceaddict

So, unfortunately I am on the road and don't have much time to explain but,this video is one that I have viewed lately that kinda makes sense to me.

Old Post Sep-09-2020 14:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SystematicX1 Click here to Send SystematicX1 a Private Message Add SystematicX1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

🦉 I think the only thing mixing in mono is useful for is finding out if there are any phase cancelations because you've used FX, & general level adjustments--because all the instruments are coming out of just one speaker, you can focus more on volume changes & once you've nailed it, monitor in stereo again & play around with panning. For example if you are mixing orchestra strings & the players are panned all over the place, then it's hard to judge the volume level of the ensemble in comparison to the rest of the mix.

Old Post Sep-13-2020 12:57  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
derail
Supreme tranceaddict

I always check my mixes in mono (but really really quiet). Sometimes I'll set my levels this way. I focus on each element and see if it's still coming through. If it's audible in mono at a super quiet volume, it's going to be audible in pretty much any other situation.

Old Post Oct-06-2020 09:36  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for derail Click here to Send derail a Private Message Add derail to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sr126
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Mixing in Mono

quote:
Originally posted by SystematicX1
I have heard this on one to many occasions, Mix everything in Mono.
So, I have started doing so.
With that said, my ears are starting to confuse my brain because I am noticing distinct differences in my mix.
The problem I am having is that the samples I am using (which are fairly high quality)are sounding different than what my ears are discerning.ie I am banking all channels to one group and putting that one group on mono. I am getting separate instruments (snare,cymbals,etc) that are seemingly panned hard to a certain direction. Left,which is weird because they are in Mono.
Upon listening to a bounce of a new piece I started hearing everything on my left side speakers. I did a hard pan on my speakers and found my left side was much much higher than my right side, even though...I could still hear sounds out of my right.
I went back in to see if by mistake I may have had a specific pan setting on a individual channel but came up clean.
Is this just an adjustment that I will have to make because I am mixing in Mono and/or will the mix adjust once putting the stereo field on?
Kinda stumped

I don't know or have an explanation for what happened in your project... But you can you use Track Control from DMG Audio (it's free) on your master to collapse your mix into mono by turning the width to 0%.

I set my levels, EQ, and check phase in mono while listening at low volume like some other folks are doing on here. I feel that it has helped me crank out better mixes.

Old Post Jun-28-2021 01:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for sr126 Click here to Send sr126 a Private Message Add sr126 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Mixing in Mono
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnknown Track [2002] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSteve Porter - "Definite Form" (Jumpin Dub) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread