Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > The almost predictable death of the Mac Pro line?
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

Typical Mac Users

Old Post Nov-24-2011 12:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lowski
Supreme tranceaddict

I was going to go get a mac pro, should I hold off for a few months and see if there's a new one coming out?. I don't follow mac news...

Old Post Nov-28-2011 05:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for lowski Click here to Send lowski a Private Message Add lowski to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by lowski
I was going to go get a mac pro, should I hold off for a few months and see if there's a new one coming out?. I don't follow mac news...

I personally would not do it right now. They are well beyond the usual refresh cycle and if you can hang for a few months the new model will be out.

If you have to buy a mac right now, then get a MBP or imac, as they both recently had new model updates or you can get the previous gen for less.

Old Post Nov-28-2011 06:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lowski
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I personally would not do it right now. They are well beyond the usual refresh cycle and if you can hang for a few months the new model will be out.

If you have to buy a mac right now, then get a MBP or imac, as they both recently had new model updates or you can get the previous gen for less.

I have a mbp but the fan is so loud i can't use it for mixing. I'm reading online that apple is waiting for some new intel update that isn't going to be happening until mid-late 2012.... not sure what to do i really can't use a mbp anymore, too slow and too loud.. I guess I'll have to rool the dice and get one... oh well thanks for the heads up

Old Post Dec-13-2011 04:57 
Click Here to See the Profile for lowski Click here to Send lowski a Private Message Add lowski to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
I have a mbp but the fan is so loud i can't use it for mixing. I'm reading online that apple is waiting for some new intel update that isn't going to be happening until mid-late 2012.... not sure what to do i really can't use a mbp anymore, too slow and too loud.. I guess I'll have to rool the dice and get one... oh well thanks for the heads up

Hold up - what year and model MBP do you have.

I can suggest 100 things that will probably let you squeeze a few more months out of it, not to mention there's ways to make the fans much quieter.

For instance, there's weird glitch with some badly written 3rd party printer drivers (canon, HP,) that makes the fans run double speed and all you have to do is delete the plist or clear the phantom print job.

Another example is the finder's quick look helper which has been known in corrupted OS installs made the CPU think it's at max capacity and the fans are on overdrive.

Let me know and I'll try to help.

Old Post Dec-13-2011 05:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lowski
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Hold up - what year and model MBP do you have.

I can suggest 100 things that will probably let you squeeze a few more months out of it, not to mention there's ways to make the fans much quieter.

For instance, there's weird glitch with some badly written 3rd party printer drivers (canon, HP,) that makes the fans run double speed and all you have to do is delete the plist or clear the phantom print job.

Another example is the finder's quick look helper which has been known in corrupted OS installs made the CPU think it's at max capacity and the fans are on overdrive.

Let me know and I'll try to help.

not sure of the model, I picked my mbp up two years ago... here are the specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

What can i do to make the fan quiet?. I have taken it in to the apple store and those guys were useless..

The fan runs full just doing the tiniest things. For example; as I'm typing this reply all the message icons on the page are causing the fan to run at full. I'm looking at my activty monitor and safari web content is at 75-80% cpu while safari is at 25%... I don't have anything else running...

When I use Logic the fan is always at full. when I load one instance of Massive the cpu is at 20%... I can't even use Stylus beacuase it maxes out all the time. I almost want to drop logic and go back to pc cuz they're so cheap to build..

Anyway let me know what I can do if anything. Thanks

*Also note I have had 2 hard drives failures in this time... both this year

Old Post Dec-13-2011 18:34 
meriter
-

quote:
The fan runs full just doing the tiniest things. For example; as I'm typing this reply all the message icons on the page are causing the fan to run at full. I'm looking at my activty monitor and safari web content is at 75-80% cpu while safari is at 25%... I don't have anything else running...

This is an issue with the Flash plugin. This is a vast problem for Mac users regarding Flash content, I found out. Although on my machine using Safari seems to fix (at least improve) the issue. Firefox and Chrome on the other hand cause Youtube videos and these little emoticons to max out the CPU and fans come on full blast.

I think your issue with Logic is just the NI stuff. Very bloated and buggy on the Mac OS.

Old Post Dec-13-2011 19:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for meriter Click here to Send meriter a Private Message Add meriter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
not sure of the model, I picked my mbp up two years ago... here are the specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

What can i do to make the fan quiet?. I have taken it in to the apple store and those guys were useless..

When I use Logic the fan is always at full. when I load one instance of Massive the cpu is at 20%... I can't even use Stylus beacuase it maxes out all the time. I almost want to drop logic and go back to pc cuz they're so cheap to build..

Anyway let me know what I can do if anything. Thanks

*Also note I have had 2 hard drives failures in this time... both this year

Dude, there is no reason to chuck a 2 year old MBP.

I guarantee it's OS or software issue.

First thing I would suggest is a fresh install of OSX - you coulf fuck around trying to find the problem, but chances are, something in one of those programs/crap/apps/etc you have on there has fucked something up.

The good news is that OSX is the easiest fucking thing in the world to install. If you still have a problem after a fresh install then it will be a fairly easy issue to trouble shoot, such as the printer queue fix or flash updating etc.

For instance, my imac is older than yours and does not give me any hassle, so there's no way a higher spec and newer MBP should.

Just let me know when you've done the fresh install - oh and if you're doing snow leopard, get the actual SL disk, don't do a leopard install, then snow leopard upgrade.

I'm more than happy to help - just let me know how you get on once you do the install and we'll go from there.

Old Post Dec-14-2011 06:20 
lowski
Supreme tranceaddict

DJ RANN. I just got a new hard drive put in about a month ago. I went to the apple store and they did everything for me. They put in the hard drive and then they installed osx or whatever. Do you think I still need to install everything all over again?. I really hoped to avoid that since it takes some serious hours to reinstall and register all my plug ins...

If I do a fresh install, should I take it to the apple store and have them do it?. I don't know what I'm doing at all and I'm sure I'd fuck something up. Also, yes I would be doing snow leopard again.

And for the record I wouldn't chuck my mbp, I could still use it for internet and scratch live...

Anyway thanks for the help, let me know if you still think I need to reinstall os.

Old Post Dec-14-2011 18:12 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
DJ RANN. I just got a new hard drive put in about a month ago. I went to the apple store and they did everything for me. They put in the hard drive and then they installed osx or whatever. Do you think I still need to install everything all over again?. I really hoped to avoid that since it takes some serious hours to reinstall and register all my plug ins...

If I do a fresh install, should I take it to the apple store and have them do it?. I don't know what I'm doing at all and I'm sure I'd fuck something up. Also, yes I would be doing snow leopard again.

And for the record I wouldn't chuck my mbp, I could still use it for internet and scratch live...

Anyway thanks for the help, let me know if you still think I need to reinstall os.

Well, a month old OSX install should not be giving you shit, but then again I wouldn't put anything past those morons at the apple store. Let's put the frsh install on hold for the time being.

So can you give me an idea of how much stuff you have installed on there?

I mean both audio programs and normal applications like word, photoshop, apps, outlook - all that other crap.

It will give me an idea of what you're throwing at your MBP and if there's any obvious suspects causing the problems.

The thing that concerns me is that there's simply no way your CPU should be registering anything close to 25% for safari, let alone 75% for safari content.

I think one of the processes is fucking up your CPU usage.

So, first thing (while the fans are making noise), open up terminal.

Type: cancel -a-

This will force clear the print queue which is a classic fan bug.

Did the fans get any better? If not, power down (not restart) and power back up and see if the fans are still noisy.

If that didn't do it open up Activity Monitor app in Utilities. Force quit Quick Look Helper.

Did that work?

Let me know how you get on and this doesn't solver it I've got a few other suggestions.

Old Post Dec-14-2011 18:47 
lowski
Supreme tranceaddict

Hi RANN, Thanks. Ok upon responding to this thread my fan starts running a bit loud again. So I opened up terminal and activity monitor (just to watch %cpu). I typed cancel -a- and hit enter. For a few second safari and safari web content went to 0. Now ten seconds later safari is %10 avg and safari content is %20 avg. The fan is making noise still. I only have this web page open. I try typing cancel -a- but this time nothing happens fan is still running loud.

Next step, I try power down (sleep) after a couple seconds the fan stops and the comp is asleep. I wait ten second then hit the space bar do wake it up. The fan is still quite but i see safari at %10 and content at %30. The fan is starting up again as I type. Quick look helper is running at %0 cpu. I force quit anyway. Fan is still loud, no change... Safari and web content are still at 10 and 30. Fan is still loud...

Old Post Dec-14-2011 20:01 
meriter
-

It's the Flash plugin. (seriously)

Old Post Dec-14-2011 20:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for meriter Click here to Send meriter a Private Message Add meriter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > The almost predictable death of the Mac Pro line?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrack 4, last to ID, but rule them all! [2007] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackM. Accorsi & J. Bassetti - Until The End (Long Flight Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread