Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > R.I.P Dom Phillips
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
The wife and mother-in-law of the missing British journalist Dom Phillips have said their hopes of finding him alive had gone, in a heartfelt and heart-breaking message that paid tribute to him and his travelling companion Bruno Pereira.

Phillips, a longtime contributor to the Guardian, and Pereira, an experienced Indigenous advocate, went missing on 5 June in a remote part of the western Amazon.

Days of searches by army, navy, police and Indigenous residents of the far-flung region have thrown up little trace of the two men and Phillips’ mother-in-law said she had lost all hope of finding them alive.

Advertisement

“They are no longer with us,” she wrote on Instagram. “Mother nature has snatched them away with a grateful embrace. The material has been undone and incorporated into the earth they so loved and respected.”

“Their souls have joined those of so many others who gave their lives in defence of the rainforest and Indigenous peoples. Today they form part of an immense and pulsating vital energy that emanates from this immense greenery that is the heart of Brazil.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...in-law-and-wife

Last edited by Mattsanity on Jun-12-2022 at 20:10

Old Post Jun-12-2022 19:45  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Titanium
Supreme tranceaddict

Who? and Who Cares?

Old Post Jun-12-2022 20:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for Titanium Click here to Send Titanium a Private Message Add Titanium to your buddy list Titanium is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Titanium
Who? and Who Cares?

He's the former editor of Mixmag who coined the term "progressive house" and wrote all the inlays to the Global Underground CDs, you ignorant fuckwit.

Also, this thread is slightly premature and I certainly hope it turns out to be incorrect, but things aren't looking good. I've got his 2009 book Superstar DJs Here We Go which is full of yarns from the '90s about the likes of Sasha, Leftfield and Oakenfold.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-12-2022 20:27  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Titanium
Who? and Who Cares?

I guess you gotta be British for this to really hit home, but even I recognize his importance as an outsider.

Yeah, I hope this thread is premature.

Old Post Jun-12-2022 20:32  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Here's a clip of a very fresh faced Dom Phillips interviewing a very fresh faced Sasha in Ibiza for the GU:013 party. Great interview from a seminal moment in time.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Jun-13-2022 at 10:10

Old Post Jun-13-2022 09:55  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mattsanity
I guess you gotta be British for this to really hit home, but even I recognize his importance as an outsider.

Yeah, I hope this thread is premature.

Nope, it also stings for us Brazilians, and a lot. I was going to say exactly what Jack said, as an electronic music fan, but there's also the fact he was here doing a very relevant job reporting on my country's woes, specially regarding the Amazon rainforest. I find this even more important than anything he did for Mixmag, but that's my background speaking.

The deaths of Dom Phillips and Bruno Pereira are themselves a tragedy, obviously, but the political fallout will probably also be quite bad, as the president has done his best to worsen an already bad situation.

For what's worth, the Federal Police has yet to confirm the identity of the bodies, only Dom's widow claimed it was them.

EDIT: Turns out it wasn't his widow's claim. She was contacted by someone from the British embassy, but there's no confirmation. What a mess...

Last edited by Lira on Jun-15-2022 at 13:41

Old Post Jun-13-2022 15:54  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
capricorn15
__

And now they've found two bodies believed to be Phillips and Periera, damn! Rest in peace.

https://ra.co/news/77401

quote:
As The Guardian reports, two bodies thought to be Dom Phillips—a former editor of Mixmag and a contributor to The Guardian—and Bruno Pereira—a dedicated defender of Indigenous rights and culture—have been found in the Amazon.

Old Post Jun-13-2022 17:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for capricorn15 Click here to Send capricorn15 a Private Message Add capricorn15 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Nope, it also stings for us Brazilians, and a lot. I was going to say exactly what Jack said, as an electronic music fan, but there's also the fact he was here doing a very relevant job reporting on my country's woes, specially regarding the Amazon rainforest. I find this even more important than anything he did for Mixmag, but that's my background speaking.

The deaths of Dom Phillips and Bruno Pereira are themselves a tragedy, obviously, but the political fallout will probably also be quite bad, as the president has done his best to worsen an already bad situation.

For what's worth, the Federal Police has yet to confirm the identity of the bodies, only Dom's widow claimed it was them. She's probably more reliable anyway.

I know nothing about his post-Mixmag days but it sounds like he passed doing what he enjoyed and didn't die in vain.

Old Post Jun-13-2022 23:22  South Korea
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Here's a clip of a very fresh faced Dom Phillips interviewing a very fresh faced Sasha in Ibiza for the GU:013 party. Great interview from a seminal moment in time.

This was the best generation imo. Two people in their early 30's talking about the current dance scene in '99.

Old Post Jun-13-2022 23:23  South Korea
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Awful news. RIP.

Also, Mattinsanity making a reasonable thread? Wtf?

Old Post Jun-14-2022 12:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

This was such awful news. Loved reading the GU liner notes back in the day, and those back-of-the-case CD quotes painted such descriptive visuals of the music.

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Jun-14-2022 16:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Awful news. RIP.

Also, Mattinsanity making a reasonable thread? Wtf?

Well hopefully making this type of thread is an anomaly

Old Post Jun-15-2022 21:33  South Korea

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > R.I.P Dom Phillips
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOnly two words... what song :( [2005] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLuis Duran - "Future Inside" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread