Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > The longest break
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

What's the other hobby?

Old Post Nov-07-2017 21:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
And the beat goes on

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
What's the other hobby?

Learning languages.

Old Post Nov-08-2017 03:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djshire
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
Learning languages.

Something you probably get asked a lot: which is better to learn...German, French, or Spanish? Not for practicality, just for fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Intellekshual
Rave to the grave.
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid

djshire, you're a cool nigga.
quote:
Originally posted by Taipan
Agreed. You da man!

Old Post Nov-10-2017 03:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djshire Click here to Send djshire a Private Message Add djshire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
And the beat goes on

quote:
Originally posted by djshire
Something you probably get asked a lot: which is better to learn...German, French, or Spanish? Not for practicality, just for fun.

I speak all three and would probably say French or Spanish. More varied travel options, more chance you will get to speak with other people in the U.S. It helps that they are easier than German, too.

Last edited by Vector A on Nov-10-2017 at 13:26

Old Post Nov-10-2017 13:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

Just gotta get back into it when the timing is right, you'll know.

Old Post Nov-10-2017 14:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
theterran
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Evolve140
you know, I've talked to this with other people, and sometimes we make our best music when we're like sad or got mental health shit going on. if you didn't have that shit going on, you may just be making less inspired music. I mean all the best musicians are kinda nutty right?

^^^ for me.

That and drugs....Or for best results...That + Drugs.

Limited to weed and shrooms though.

But not depression + shrooms...That = hiding in the closet for 8 hours with no music being made...

The other thing that seems to do it for me is being awake for more than 24 hours into around 2-3 AM. My brain tends to be tired, relaxed, and I can focus on one thing. But that's also probably "drugs" since my bodies dumping them to get me to sleep...But sometimes that slightly altered state of mind is all that's needed.

Can't imagine how frustrating it is producing music for a living and hitting a dry spell...

I've gone maybe 3-4 months without inspiration...I don't think about when I'm not making music, and occupy myself with other hobbies. But so far the itch has always returned...

What irritates me the most is starting on a great idea, then stalling out...At least 8-9 decent ideas just sitting in the project folder 1/2 done. I've resigned myself to just deleting them if I come back to 'em without inspiration after a few times.

The really good ideas will basically write themselves anyway.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 10:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for theterran Click here to Send theterran a Private Message Add theterran to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by theterran
^^^ for me.

That and drugs....Or for best results...That + Drugs.

Limited to weed and shrooms though.

But not depression + shrooms...That = hiding in the closet for 8 hours with no music being made...

The other thing that seems to do it for me is being awake for more than 24 hours into around 2-3 AM. My brain tends to be tired, relaxed, and I can focus on one thing. But that's also probably "drugs" since my bodies dumping them to get me to sleep...But sometimes that slightly altered state of mind is all that's needed.

Can't imagine how frustrating it is producing music for a living and hitting a dry spell...

I've gone maybe 3-4 months without inspiration...I don't think about when I'm not making music, and occupy myself with other hobbies. But so far the itch has always returned...

What irritates me the most is starting on a great idea, then stalling out...At least 8-9 decent ideas just sitting in the project folder 1/2 done. I've resigned myself to just deleting them if I come back to 'em without inspiration after a few times.

The really good ideas will basically write themselves anyway.

Join the club, my "started but not finished" list is really bad now

speaking of dry spells, I heard Luke Slater saying he went for about 5 years not being to write anything, he got over that and these days he's as good as anyone around for me

Old Post Dec-10-2017 23:27  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8

speaking of dry spells, I heard Luke Slater saying he went for about 5 years not being to write anything, he got over that and these days he's as good as anyone around for me

Word. Finishing stuff is the hardest part imo

http://soundcloud.com/auroraproject

Old Post Dec-10-2017 23:30  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for chris marsh Click here to Send chris marsh a Private Message Add chris marsh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

quote:
Originally posted by evo8

'

I was just looking at the Bitwig artist page and coincidentally saw his name there.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 02:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

I've been reading this for a couple of days, fascinating.

So I and others that know me think I'm a bit autistic. My relationship with mental issues is not as serious as some of you guys but with me I get sudden anxious thoughts usually to do with work that can come and go just like that, and I get this yo-yo most days.

I tend to drink to relax, but always annoyed I have to watch my booze levels in case of health issues - I wish cabbages got you feeling relaxed...

I find music production totally takes my mind off shit

I exercise daily to keep me feeling grounded.

Recently had to take Tramadol and other drugs for a shoulder operation. Fuck me, I've never felt so odd and depressed. Came off them against Doctors orders after a week and the cold turkey was utterly miserable. I could never medicate stuff like that for pleasure or help.

Longest break - when I got married and we were planning children. About 5 yrs with no gear, and then 1 day I just had to reacquire and start producing again.

Quite a dull bastard really

Good luck you guys that could do with some eh.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 18:05  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djshire
Supreme tranceaddict

Adding onto the conversation about being depressed, I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) on top of clinical depression. So I already have my work planned out to account for it. Once I finish this track (which is part of a two-track EP), I start work on a very sad, moody, introspective two-track EP.

Then another two-track EP, themed for Miami Week and the related.

Then for April Fool's, I'm making a two-track EP...of Future Bass.

quote:
Originally posted by Intellekshual
Rave to the grave.
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid

djshire, you're a cool nigga.
quote:
Originally posted by Taipan
Agreed. You da man!

Old Post Dec-14-2017 03:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djshire Click here to Send djshire a Private Message Add djshire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Originally posted by chris marsh
Word. Finishing stuff is the hardest part imo

This is one of the reasons I switched to hardware. With software, there was too much thinking and the inclination to try and make a track 'perfect' which goes against the very purpose of all art. When I was working without a computer, I was able to finish tracks/live jams in a single night, sometimes - even more than one, at times.

I'm not against using the computer/software for tracks, but unlike hardware, there is so much to choose from, that I think it often hinders creativity, spontaneity and the inspiration to just get a track done.

Old Post Dec-14-2017 07:32  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > The longest break
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread