Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Exorbitant Service Charges noticed
Is it fair for online ticket merchants to charge 17.25 or 26% in svc charges?
This poll is closed.
Yes its fair, they need to make sure that they make their money! 1 4.35%
Neutral 1 4.35%
No not fair at all 21 91.30%
Total: 23 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Revealed
tranceaddict in training

Exclamation Exorbitant Service Charges noticed

So as a trance lover and clubber, I am accustomed to the usual tactics that clubs employ to suck an extra $5 or $10 from all of us. You know what I'm talking about. For instance, if you get on such and such discount list and get there by a certain time or if you are of the first x number of people there, you can get in at a discount. They also sell a very limited number of tickets at special "early bird" pricing, then start pumping up the prices, usually in increments of $10, at pre-determined number of tickets sold.

Well tonight I just purchased tickets to see W&W/Menno De Jong at the Exchange in downtown LA through groovetickets aka Flavorus.com. The tickets were $20 but the service charge was $5.20!! That is 26% of the cost of the ticket!! What's worse is when I printed up the ticket, it states on the ticket itself that the service charge was $2.50 and not the $5.20 that it charged me. So I investigated this further only to find that charging me $5.20 as a service charge was not a typo or mistake. Turns out, groovetickets receives $2.50 as their fee and then Insomniac, the promoters, take $2.70! So I went back at some other recent trance show tickets I have purchased to see what they charged in "service fees." I bought two tickets to tomorrow night's Dash Berlin show a while back and guess what? They charged me 17.25% for "service fees!"
This just doesn't seem right, didn't Ticketmaster get busted a year or two ago for charging huge service charges? Please tranceaddicts voice your opinions on this matter here.

Also I'm going to set up a poll on this as well. The poll has been set up and will run for a period of 30days.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 07:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Revealed Click here to Send Revealed a Private Message Add Revealed to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords

I agree with you on this. What is a 'service' charge really supposed to cover after all? If you were buying it at a ticket counter then perhaps the service charge is to help to cover the persons wage that is selling you the ticket. That makes sense. Is our 20%+ of ticket price going towards the 'service' of promotion (more and more ads on the internet and so on and so forth) ?? Of course I could be totally off base here.

It's especially annoying as ticket prices rise. For big festivals the service charges can be game changers. The main issue to me is that tickets are advertised as costing x amount and then invariably cost x+y amount or even x+y+z amount.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 07:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah, I went to the link for the Menno/W&W/Schossow tix and saw that too. I decided to empty the cart instead of getting them for this reason. The airlines got caught at their own game, perhaps ticket sellers will be next...

I remember buying a $70 ticket with a $3 service fee for Digweed NYE, that seemed reasonable to me, around 4%.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 08:18  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for in2muzikk Click here to Send in2muzikk a Private Message Add in2muzikk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
fantasyexctasy
Supreme tranceaddict

It's going to feed the wealthy piece of shit that runs this greedy scheme. People need to stand up and protest somehow. Change.org is really useful

Old Post Feb-24-2012 10:35  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for fantasyexctasy Click here to Send fantasyexctasy a Private Message Add fantasyexctasy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Direct
I invented the pushup

tldr, I made a random vote.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 14:57 
Click Here to See the Profile for Direct Click here to Send Direct a Private Message Add Direct to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bigperf
Supreme tranceaddict

Solution:
Don't buy tickets. Get on the comp list.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 16:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for bigperf Click here to Send bigperf a Private Message Add bigperf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

lol, just wait until you order from ticketmaster. no other ticketing service even comes close to their 30% "convenience" fee

Old Post Feb-24-2012 17:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tosh
Supreme tranceaddict

Sure it costs them money to run the servers, mail tix, run the website, high salaries, phone service, will call, etc etc
But the amount they are skimming off the top is way too high to be paying these things alone. Let's just say they make $5 per ticket for EDC alone..... That's a lot of freakin money!!!

Ticket price should include all fees. Let the greedy companies fight over it from there.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 18:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Tosh Click here to Send Tosh a Private Message Add Tosh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bigperf
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by in2muzikk

I remember buying a $70 ticket with a $3 service fee for Digweed NYE, that seemed reasonable to me, around 4%.

you could have picked it up via randy s for $55 no service fees!

avalon tickets used to start at $15, with service fee of $3(20%) so they just changed ticket prices and left service fee at the same amount...they werent doing you a favor...

if you check out tickets for avalon shows(still $15, but service charges are now $4.) at least its statys $4 as price continues to go up. Some promoters(eventvibe) start off at $10, and $1.20 service and then tack on $0.60 every time the price tier goes up $5. so a $30 ticket has a $3.60 service charge, still lower than avalon.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 18:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for bigperf Click here to Send bigperf a Private Message Add bigperf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MelBeat
Supreme tranceaddict

Seems service fees are too high only for Insomniac events.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 18:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MelBeat Click here to Send MelBeat a Private Message Add MelBeat to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
capricorn15
__

quote:
Originally posted by MelBeat
Seems service fees are too high only for Insomniac events.

they doesn't seem too high. they are too high. How can insomniac charge a service fee when you are already paying for a ticket? either way, i dont attend this stuff so it doesn't matter much to me but it is ridiculous.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 20:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for capricorn15 Click here to Send capricorn15 a Private Message Add capricorn15 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MelBeat
Supreme tranceaddict

Yes, they are too high. My point is only Insomniac events have such high fees. Look at Judge Jules @ Circus. $20 with $2.50 fees. But W&W is $20 with $5.20 fees.

Old Post Feb-24-2012 21:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MelBeat Click here to Send MelBeat a Private Message Add MelBeat to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Exorbitant Service Charges noticed
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID - VOCAL = "If Everybody In The World Was The Same" [2005] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMark van Dale - Love Slave [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread