Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Next generation CDJ / XDJ / etc
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sarah H
I agree, if you have a pair of Technics, then no way should you get the Pioneer PLX 1000s

They may be a 'knock off' but the Pioneers are incredibly good decks, I have used them a few times at my local club and they feel just like the Techs of old, the toy round button is of course there to help distinguish it as a Pioneer Deck as of course their CDJs use the round button.
I like the fact that they now have connections at the back for power and phono instead of the Techs of old which were of course hardwired into the depths of the deck making replacing them a pain in the arse.
The small updates to the deck are good updates.

Even though I still have a Technics 1210 M3D kicking about (I sold one of the pair when vinyl took a backwards step and kept one for playing/ripping my numerous vinyl collection) I am still interested in buying a pair of the Pioneer Decks for my home set up

Note - I am currently refurbing my 1210 M3D as it got into quite a sorry state over the years of dragging the pair of them from club to house parites to home to the club etc etc, I may even do a separate thread in here for it.

Definitely do a separate thread. This forum needs all the help it can get these days and that sounds like something of interest!

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Jan-29-2015 02:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
henke
tranceaddict in training

Yeah do a thread, I love to see equipment in bits. My 1210s are mk2s I've had to replace the earth wires on both of them cause, get this, my cat chewed through them!

Im not sure I fancy a digital vinyl system, I've decided it'll be CDJs of some variety.

Old Post Jan-29-2015 12:28  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for henke Click here to Send henke a Private Message Add henke to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by henke
Yeah do a thread, I love to see equipment in bits. My 1210s are mk2s I've had to replace the earth wires on both of them cause, get this, my cat chewed through them!

Im not sure I fancy a digital vinyl system, I've decided it'll be CDJs of some variety.

Honestly, mate - I was a total Luddite on this subject, but DVS is really the best way to go....

Over the last 12 or so years, CDJ models have established a lifespan of less than 3 years before they are made obsolete by a newer one. I'm not one to always keep up, but pioneer's business model is to hold back features for new models, and the only way they make money is by making people upgrade to the latest one.

They quite literally could have put out 1/3 of the models they have over the last decade, and just waited a little between releases to put features that would be ready in say 6 months.

Look at the list CDJ models they put out since 2001:

1 CDJ-200
2 CDJ-400
3 CDJ-500
3.1 CDJ-500II
3.2 CDJ-500S
4 CDJ-800
4.1 CDJ 800 mk2
5 CDJ-850
5.1 CDJ 850 mk2
6 CDJ-900
6.1 CDJ-900NXS Update
7 CDJ-1000
7.1 Updated version
7.1.1 CDJ-1000MK2
7.1.2 CDJ-1000MK3
8 CDJ-100S
9 CDJ-2000
10 CMX-3000
11 CMX-5000
12 MEP-7000
13 DMP-555
14 DVJ-X1
15 DVJ-1000

That's fucking bonkers.

And bear in mind many of those final revision versions like the 800 mk2, the 1000 mk3 (etc) were replaced less than a year after launch by other models like the 850 and 900/2000.

You have to be made right now to buy a CDJ when a DVS does everything you need any the only part that need upgrading is the software.

Also, a pair of CDJ 850's or 900's will set you back £1500 new.

The top of the line Serato box (SL4) is £600.

Your techs will last you another 30 years, don;t waste you money on kit you don't need and won't last.

Old Post Jan-29-2015 17:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Lol, just now, some bloke has posted up an ad in this forum to sell his 1000's. Apparently he bought them in 2011 and is now selling the pair for $1000....

........and just 3 years ago you wouldn't have got change from $3000 new. They're great decks, but that is horrific depreciation.

Old Post Jan-29-2015 18:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ Sarah H
Louboutin's Bitch

The one real problem I have with DVS is that most clubs are simply not geared up for it, for home use, its great.

The majority of clubs I play do not have vinyl decks so if you only play on vinyl or DVS you either have to take all your own equipment and set up hours before you play, if you are sharing a night with other DJs its likely they will be using the already in place CDJs so where do you put your decks.. or simply not play.

Some clubs wont even let you use your own equipment no matter what, I had one club refuse me plugging my laptop into their CDJ 900s so I could use Traktor (Luckily enough I had also brought CDs so I could still play a set)

Another club I played insisted on virus checking my keydrives and memory sticks before allowing me to plug them into their CDJs, they said they was worried about a virus spreading across their club as all their CDJs in 2 different booths were networked to a main server which held all their music files on
(I have never heard of a case where a virus has been spread via a CDJ to a network)

The new technology available to DJs now is amazing, it can enhance the experience for both DJ and audience alike but with no industry standard, its still a minefield in what technology to buy.

At least when we all played vinyl, the only thing you had a problem with is choosing what vinyls to put in your bag and carrying the bloody bag to the club

Old Post Jan-29-2015 18:23  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Sarah H Click here to Send DJ Sarah H a Private Message Add DJ Sarah H to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
henke
tranceaddict in training

This is gonna sound mental but I take it DVS systems have came on a long way from Final Scratch? As that's what I remember from about 12 years ago.

I'm not that fussed about what clubs are using. As a DJ I was never much better than mediocre and the only journey my set up will be making is from the spare room to the kitchen when friends come over to get pissed. 😄

Old Post Jan-29-2015 19:24  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for henke Click here to Send henke a Private Message Add henke to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Honestly, mate - I was a total Luddite on this subject, but DVS is really the best way to go....

Over the last 12 or so years, CDJ models have established a lifespan of less than 3 years before they are made obsolete by a newer one. I'm not one to always keep up, but pioneer's business model is to hold back features for new models, and the only way they make money is by making people upgrade to the latest one.

They quite literally could have put out 1/3 of the models they have over the last decade, and just waited a little between releases to put features that would be ready in say 6 months.

Look at the list CDJ models they put out since 2001:

1 CDJ-200
2 CDJ-400
3 CDJ-500
3.1 CDJ-500II
3.2 CDJ-500S
4 CDJ-800
4.1 CDJ 800 mk2
5 CDJ-850
5.1 CDJ 850 mk2
6 CDJ-900
6.1 CDJ-900NXS Update
7 CDJ-1000
7.1 Updated version
7.1.1 CDJ-1000MK2
7.1.2 CDJ-1000MK3
8 CDJ-100S
9 CDJ-2000
10 CMX-3000
11 CMX-5000
12 MEP-7000
13 DMP-555
14 DVJ-X1
15 DVJ-1000

That's fucking bonkers.

And bear in mind many of those final revision versions like the 800 mk2, the 1000 mk3 (etc) were replaced less than a year after launch by other models like the 850 and 900/2000.

You have to be made right now to buy a CDJ when a DVS does everything you need any the only part that need upgrading is the software.

Also, a pair of CDJ 850's or 900's will set you back £1500 new.

The top of the line Serato box (SL4) is £600.

Your techs will last you another 30 years, don;t waste you money on kit you don't need and won't last.

Not that I have any reason to doubt you, but are you sure the 800 mk2 was out for less than a year until the 850 came out? I have 800mk2 and I could have sworn they were out for over a year before the next go around. Again, I could be completely wrong!

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Jan-30-2015 01:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sarah H
The one real problem I have with DVS is that most clubs are simply not geared up for it, for home use, its great.

The majority of clubs I play do not have vinyl decks so if you only play on vinyl or DVS you either have to take all your own equipment and set up hours before you play, if you are sharing a night with other DJs its likely they will be using the already in place CDJs so where do you put your decks.. or simply not play.

Some clubs wont even let you use your own equipment no matter what, I had one club refuse me plugging my laptop into their CDJ 900s so I could use Traktor (Luckily enough I had also brought CDs so I could still play a set)

Another club I played insisted on virus checking my keydrives and memory sticks before allowing me to plug them into their CDJs, they said they was worried about a virus spreading across their club as all their CDJs in 2 different booths were networked to a main server which held all their music files on
(I have never heard of a case where a virus has been spread via a CDJ to a network)

The new technology available to DJs now is amazing, it can enhance the experience for both DJ and audience alike but with no industry standard, its still a minefield in what technology to buy.

At least when we all played vinyl, the only thing you had a problem with is choosing what vinyls to put in your bag and carrying the bloody bag to the club

Wow, that thing about the club wanting to virus scan you drives is utter nonsense. There's no way a virus could somehow migrate from the USB thumb drive on a CDJ to their server, and I seriously doubt russian hackers are programming for this lol.

I don't really know any clubs these days that don't allow you to plug in your laptops and a serato/tracktor box as most resident DJ's in clubs need massive libraries and DVS just make so much more sense in terms of having your whole library available.

Maybe it's different here in the states, but the last time I actually saw a DJ/club not using a DVS was back in 2009 (Sharam - CD's and had a guy whose sole purpose was just handing which one to insert next). Literally everywhere. All the big DJ's roll up with DVS. Sure I've seen some just prefer to use the USB but any DVS DJ should bring a couple of duplicated Thumbdrives just in case some twat decides to give your laptop a pint mid set.

I can'r really understand those that have a problem plugging in your soundcard/laptop. It takes all of 5 mins and meanwhile you can just play a track off the thumbdrives/CD until you're up. Really not hard. On my mixer at home I can switch from my CDJ's to a DVS setup while tracks are playing in under 5 mins. To be honest any club that doesn't allow it, simply doesn't know what they're doing. you just ask the S&L guy nicely before you go to the club. Really, it's 4 cables to plug in.

If they only have CDJ's then just shove the timcode CD's in, plug the box in and away you go. I get that some clubs don't want DJ Muppet touching their connections, but again, most legit clubs with any type of even semi-pro installation should have a patch panel which is half normalled meaning it only interrupts the signal when you plug something in to it.

@Henke - yes, it's come a long way. FS was crap - got to somewhere like Digital Village or a local DJ store and try out serato. I was always one who railed against Laptop DJ setups but honestly, it's the best of both worlds; tactile feel of technics (and you know nothing comes close) combined with the freedom of digital tracks. Win Win.

Old Post Jan-30-2015 01:18 
Innocence Lost
Uptight Biatch,..

now if only the PLX-1000 had a usb thumb drive and somehow made a miniature LCD screen that shows track info and hmm ok colored waveform would be a plus if it fits plus USB HID function as well.

Old Post Jan-30-2015 17:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Innocence Lost Click here to Send Innocence Lost a Private Message Add Innocence Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Innocence Lost
now if only the PLX-1000 had a usb thumb drive and somehow made a miniature LCD screen that shows track info and hmm ok colored waveform would be a plus if it fits plus USB HID function as well.

To be honest, I've been looking in to small NUC type computers that I could house a small screeen in and would have USB capability. You would then just use that to run serato/traktor and plug either your Techs or CDJ's in to and plug a thumb drive in it.

You could then just do a traktor / serato skin to make it conducive to a small screen and away you go.

Old Post Jan-30-2015 22:55 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Next generation CDJ / XDJ / etc
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRadio Trance Classics 99/00: Track 1 [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackKyau & Albert - "Kiksu" [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread