Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > 2003 was unforgettable
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
klappa
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Hard trance was always shitty. It was merely at its apex of popularity on 2003, meaning there were a lot of Tidy Trax and Nukleuz compilations easily available in provincial HMV stores.

True dat! But i was guilty to listening to it back then.

Ofc there has been some few hardtrance gems but they weren't many.

Old Post Mar-11-2012 11:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for klappa Click here to Send klappa a Private Message Add klappa to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Hmm, 2003. My soundtrack was:

GU comps, particularly Seaman's 22 and Deep Dish's 25 and its supplement CDs that came out at the start of summer
Tiesto's Nyana
BT's ESCM (got his albums in reverse order starting with MISL, heh) and Rare and Remixed
Junkie XL's Radio JXL album
Way Out West - Intensify

Haven't listened to any of those CDs all the way through in ages. I would say the BT stuff and Intensify definitely hold up the best out of the bunch, though except for the cheesier bits of Nyana I wouldn't really mind listening to any of them now: it's just that I have other things that hold my attention more.

Old Post Mar-11-2012 12:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
even if you think its shit..there are some tracks that are just nostalgic..that just relate to that time period in your life and bring back memories, no matter how cheesy or whatever that maybe...or how "far" your taste has grown you just cant deny..and even though my ears are different now, I often go back to those tunes, and they always bring a smile, it was a time when I didn't care that , that lead sound was over used or that break down had become cliché..it was just in the moment..

Totally.

Fucking "As The Rush Comes," lulz. Also PVD - "Nothing But You." Can still remember playing the latter as I pulled up to my college dorms to start moving in.

Old Post Mar-11-2012 12:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ian
Not dead yet.

It was the last year PVD was listenable with good sets like Energy 2003 & Einheitsrave and Marco V's techtrance sets were still really good. Since then, meh. Looking back at how promising things could've been and how they actually have is disappointing but life moves on & there's good music which is just a hell of a lot harder to find.

Old Post Mar-11-2012 12:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian Click here to Send Ian a Private Message Add Ian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Yeah, I had Nothing But You on single.

Generally though, this was actually probably an all-time low for dance music, part of the 2002-2004 era where all the stalwarts of '90s club culture began to seriously struggle (magazines shut, clubs closed, record labels went out of business, acts like Leftfield and Orbital called it a day) but none of the new '00s hotness (microhouse, Kompakt, minimal, dubstep) had really risen up to replace those stalwarts.

Those of us who started listening to EDM in this period are probably the most dislocated in history, because all the styles and sounds we were hooked in on were very rapidly discarded and derided before our tastes had chance to properly form. When we were ready for the standard '90s kid second tier of musical development (namely, prog) it was nowhere to be found, replaced instead by this weird bleepy bloop techno shit. While the '90s veterans could either move on ("yeah man, I always loved Spastik") or safely retreat into smug semi-retirement, with years of MDMA-blurred halcyon memories to sustain them, we were left with nothing but a feeling of confusion and loss. It seems no coincidence that many of those inducted between 2002-2004 seem inordinately interested in '90s dance music, with an ineffable sense of nostalgia for some golden era they never actually danced through.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Mar-11-2012 15:00  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

quote:
Those of us who started listening to EDM in this period are probably the most dislocated in history, because all the styles and sounds we were hooked in on were very rapidly discarded and derided before our tastes had chance to properly form.

I suppose my experience was probably different because dance music was still a pretty niche thing in the U.S. and decidedly unpopular in the part of the country where I grew up (the south). So I was used to being far out of sync with the musical tastes and fashions around me. And I wasn't hooked in to the net's hive mind with respect to EDM yet, so until the mid 2000s I never had a sense of whether what I liked was popular or in style. But I guess when I did finally catch up with dance music trends, I was pretty disappointed in them.

Old Post Mar-11-2012 15:33  United States
Scoops
4 bags deep

nuff said

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...d/t-106201.html

Old Post Mar-11-2012 16:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancedanne
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
2003 was actually the year where I decided uplifting trance was too cheesy to me and so moved onto the infinitely deeper and more credible alternative... hard trance.

Hard trance was better then trance in 2003? The only 2 good acts were Flutlicht/SHOKK and Alphazone and the later one was kinda cheese...

Old Post Mar-11-2012 16:58  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for trancedanne Click here to Send trancedanne a Private Message Add trancedanne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
decent idiot

Klangkarussell - Sternenkinder

Old Post Mar-11-2012 17:06  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by trancedanne
Hard trance was better then trance in 2003? The only 2 good acts were Flutlicht/SHOKK and Alphazone and the later one was kinda cheese...

No, it was all shit. I'm merely pointing out the folly of youth.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Mar-11-2012 17:14  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
decent idiot

the "hard trance" by flutlicht and shokk was really really bad

I consider this good hard trance:

but I guess that was way before 2003, and for all I know I'm colored by nostalgia.

Klangkarussell - Sternenkinder

Old Post Mar-11-2012 17:40  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
meriter
-

oh yeah baby thats what daddy likes

Old Post Mar-11-2012 17:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for meriter Click here to Send meriter a Private Message Add meriter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > 2003 was unforgettable
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackShai - The Best Of Your Life (Original Mix) [2004] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDj Spoke & Vespa 63 - Burning [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread