Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Dave King - Hobgoblin [Trance/Psy-Trance/Psy-Breaks]
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
djdk
Nutritional Overachiever

Dave King - Hobgoblin [Trance/Psy-Trance/Psy-Breaks]

With the disappointment of another dismal West Ham performance in my heart and the sounds of a rather good goa mix in my ears (thank you DJ Soulstone) I wandered back from the pub Saturday and decided the only thing to do was bash out some trance. 2 hrs and an unspecified (but not insignificant) number of dark ruby ales later this was the result.

It's pretty banging throughout and reasonably moody. Its not dark as in twisted, but its definitely late night shit. Think 6am in a dark room with some strobes, like the main room at Turnmills if you ever had the pleasure of experiencing it. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, everything seems to flow together in a way I can never quite achieve with pre-planned mixes but have never managed to quite capture in any ad-hoc ones I've recorded. The mixing does get a little ropey towards the end but then again, dark ruby ale will do that to you

All comments, criticism and/or abuse all welcome, right click the image and Save As.. or soundcloud at the bottom

01. The Egg - Angel Of My Soul (Allaby Remix) [Euphoria]
02. Jay Selway - Light [Iono Music]
03. Prosper - Centrifuga [Ultra Groove]
04. Reaky - Meduza (Michal Poliak Remix ) [Propulsion Records]
05. Dan Stone - Road Test (Signum Dub Remix) [Red Force Recordings]
06. Nicholas Bennison - Turbomachinery (0.0db Remix) [Euphoria]
07. Wizzy Noise - Timeline (Blue Planet Corporation Remix ) [Candyflip Records]
08. Miro - By Your Side (Ronski Speed Mix) [Euphonic]
09. Hypnocoustics - Auratoria [BMSS]
10. Youthful Implants & Tigerfunk - Heatseeker (LuQas Remix) [Dead Famous Records]
11. Subliminal System - Into The Burgh (Monk3ylogic Remix) [Broken Robot Recordings]
12. John '00' Fleming & The Digital Blonde Pres. 00.db - Keymantia [JOOF Recordings]
13. SPX - Straight To The Point (X-Cabs Remix) [Hook]
14. Hypnoacoustic - Buddha Nature [BMSS]
15. Silicon Sound - Wired (Art Of Existence Remix) [Planet B.E.N.]
16. Zehavi & Rand - Paroxatine (Inner & Outer Remix ) [Deep Blue]
17. Natious - Flashpoint (Part 1) (Christian West's Feel Mix 1) [Nothern Exposure]
18. Qattara - Come With Me (Paul Van Dyk Remix) [Steel Fish]
19. Rafferty & Kershaw - We Are Connected (Marcos pres. Sunfire Remix ) [Endeavour]
20. Heliotropic - Walk With Me (Original Mix 1) [Northern Exposure]

Dave King - Hobgoblin by djdavek

Dave King - Tales Of The Future [Trance]
Dave King - Personal Classics
MIX ARCHIVE!!!

Old Post Apr-04-2011 20:35  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for djdk Click here to Send djdk a Private Message Visit djdk's homepage! Add djdk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hrvoje
Supreme tranceaddict

this looks tasty dl now,thanx

Old Post Apr-05-2011 09:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for Hrvoje Click here to Send Hrvoje a Private Message Add Hrvoje to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJSoulstone
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for the flowers! I just recently told my wife that I need to find some new sets, that are worth keeping. Your set reminds me so much of what used to be called Trance like 8 years ago. It's very well mixed, flows wonderfully and a real find for me! Thanks, mate!

DJ Soulstone - Summer Solstice 2012 [Goa/Full-On]

Old Post Apr-05-2011 11:17  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for DJSoulstone Click here to Send DJSoulstone a Private Message Add DJSoulstone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Und der Schnee geduldig

I've been to Turnmills a couple of times, and this mix is the sort of trance I'd associate with John Askew's shindigs down there, provided he hadn't decided to dive headfirst into fluffville by now and given up all the stuff that made him stand out as a DJ in the first place.

Unfortunately, I've always had my problems with this approach to trance. It's always come across as very meandering, with too many breakdowns and too many bells and whistles to get into properly for a guy like me, who likes trance simple and stripped down. I have that problem here too, as I can't seem to pick up any significant momentum until the last half hour or so. I guess this can be attributed to the fact that you were pissed and still mourning The Hammers, and thus not quite as focused either, naturally.

With that said, if this is "ropey" mixing, then more of that, please. I'm SO tired of linear and robot mixing at this point, and the transition from Come With Me into We Are Connected is the kind of stuff you hardly ever get anymore in the land of 30 second intro fades or Ableton.

Solid effort, despite the mix never really clicking with me preferencewise.

TA Discord server for music/shitposting is up!

Old Post Apr-05-2011 11:24  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Sneaker Pimp

grabbing this...

Old Post Apr-05-2011 12:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RebeL9
The Digital Blonde addict

Some real gems in the tracklist. Checking this out

Old Post Apr-05-2011 13:05  Afghanistan
Click Here to See the Profile for RebeL9 Click here to Send RebeL9 a Private Message Visit RebeL9's homepage! Add RebeL9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

*takes a seat*

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Apr-05-2011 13:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
colin traveller
Supreme tranceaddict

I like how you've made use of the hobgoblin fine ale advert ..

Old Post Apr-05-2011 17:02  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for colin traveller Click here to Send colin traveller a Private Message Add colin traveller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
montana
dub come save me

proper, this was really good, i don't know what you meant by ropey mixing near the end. it was quite good. i'm generally a big fan of your mixes so my comments genereally turn out how arminfans react to armins latest tune that came out of his arse but this just was really good. i think it didn't grab me until the third tune but i was with it all the way through. trackselection was really nice, love that you played the bpc remix of wizzy, that's a favourite of mine

Old Post Apr-07-2011 18:53  Syria
Click Here to See the Profile for montana Click here to Send montana a Private Message Visit montana's homepage! Add montana to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
andydavey
tranceaddict

I like this. Had it on on the plane earlier and the riff of the last tune kicked in just as we came back down out of the clouds, which was nice.

No ropey mixing that I could hear, so I'd pipe down on that front if I were you.

Old Post Apr-07-2011 22:57  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for andydavey Click here to Send andydavey a Private Message Visit andydavey's homepage! Add andydavey to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djdk
Nutritional Overachiever

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
I've been to Turnmills a couple of times, and this mix is the sort of trance I'd associate with John Askew's shindigs down there, provided he hadn't decided to dive headfirst into fluffville by now and given up all the stuff that made him stand out as a DJ in the first place.

Unfortunately, I've always had my problems with this approach to trance. It's always come across as very meandering, with too many breakdowns and too many bells and whistles to get into properly for a guy like me, who likes trance simple and stripped down. I have that problem here too, as I can't seem to pick up any significant momentum until the last half hour or so. I guess this can be attributed to the fact that you were pissed and still mourning The Hammers, and thus not quite as focused either, naturally.

With that said, if this is "ropey" mixing, then more of that, please. I'm SO tired of linear and robot mixing at this point, and the transition from Come With Me into We Are Connected is the kind of stuff you hardly ever get anymore in the land of 30 second intro fades or Ableton.

Solid effort, despite the mix never really clicking with me preferencewise.

That mix into We Are Connected is something thats been sitting in my bag of "really fucking cool mixes that need to be heard by people" for a while but never fitted so it was good to do, puts a smile on my face everytime The mixes around it are somewhat rough tho, plus I think they sounded alot worse when I was doing them. On listening back that dont sound nearly as bad.

Cheers for listening dude, I was aiming for a few bells and whistles but I think perhaps my tolerance for them decreases as blood alcohol content increases

MIX ARCHIVE!!!

Old Post Apr-12-2011 13:28  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for djdk Click here to Send djdk a Private Message Visit djdk's homepage! Add djdk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djdk
Nutritional Overachiever

quote:
Originally posted by montana
proper, this was really good, i don't know what you meant by ropey mixing near the end. it was quite good. i'm generally a big fan of your mixes so my comments genereally turn out how arminfans react to armins latest tune that came out of his arse but this just was really good. i think it didn't grab me until the third tune but i was with it all the way through. trackselection was really nice, love that you played the bpc remix of wizzy, that's a favourite of mine

Cheers man, I always appreciate your comments I know you'd pull me up if I started putting out shit

MIX ARCHIVE!!!

Old Post Apr-12-2011 13:40  United Kingdom

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Dave King - Hobgoblin [Trance/Psy-Trance/Psy-Breaks]
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread