Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Mystery Around Blank & Jones?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lownoise
tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2018
Location: Amsterdam
Mystery Around Blank & Jones?



Hello Tranceaddicts friends!

Maybe some of you have the answer for me..

I have been asking this question for years and years but nobody has an answer for me... why did Blank & Jones suddenly stop producing Trance music and why does it seem like they do not want anything to do with it anymore. When people ask them questions about there trance career they fully ignore them. It's very noticeable.

I find that very mysterious. They where one of the Trance pioneers at the beginning of the millenium but suddenely it looks like they don't want to have nothing to do with Trance music anymore. The other strange thing I find is that we have never seen any new remixes of there tracks.. It looks like they have copyrighted and forbidden all other artists/DJ's to remix there old tracks..

The last couple of years they are producing Ambient music but still under the name of Blank & Jones and the same production team (René Runge a.k.a Jaspa Jones, Piet Blank & Andy Kaufhold). Think of albums such as Milchbar, RELAX, Chilltronica and So80's.. some tracks aren't that bad but more likely to chill on when your on the beach or at a lounge room lol. I guess the thing is they just got old and went a more laidback way but for me this hasn't to be a reason to ignore your old (trance) fans by not answering them or at least show your face at a trance related event or something, a genre that made you who you are now! They really vanished from everything related to trance music. No invites to trance classic events (you aren't telling me they where never invited!), radioshows or anything. The only radioshow that still invites them is Sunshine Live but also there they play the slow ambient stuff..


Such a shame! They really had an own sound.. Such great trance producers one of the best ever if you asked me! Only a few artists come nearby the sound of these guys.. trance nowadays isn't produced like this anymore..


___________________
Trance Vizion (Trance)Music Discussion Forum/Board With The Latest Trance News & Global DJ Sets! Come & Join Us @ (http://www.trancevizion.nl). Also Check Our Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/#trance_vizion.official

Old Post Mar-03-2018 15:58  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Lownoise Click here to Send Lownoise a Private Message Visit Lownoise's homepage! Add Lownoise to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2018
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Well they may have consciously chosen to change direction for any number of reasons, ranging from personal taste to cater to their audience to simply commercial reasons or whatever. Or a combination.

What would they have been pioneering at the turn of the millennium? You might say they had their own typical sound from '98 - early noughties, if I remember correctly, but production-wise from a "trance" perspective they always lagged behind plenty others at the time. And alongside Piet Blank's DJing at events and Einslive Radio and the like it may in part have been remixes that led to some of their non-chart success, such as PvD's remix of "Cream". Perhaps Steve Thrillseekers Helstrip and Jam & Spoon's remixes of "Beyond Time"? The latter were some of the first tracks I came across when I began to familiarise myself with trance music back in 2000. They were different times.

Not sure what you mean by "copyrighting" and forbidding others to remix their tracks. Whether or not to have tracks remixed may be up to the record labels in question. Is new remixes what you're on about? No thanks, I'd say. And since they seem to have effectively left the trance scene there may be no incentive to re-release anything.

It would make no sense whatsoever for any DJ to show their face in a scene they're no part of, and haven't contributed to in any way production-wise for ages. Do they ignore questions about the matter in interviews? Or just when people facebook them annoying questions?

There's some (German) interviews easily googleable in which they seem to comment on some of their decisions re digital DJ'ing, making a living out of what they're doing at present.

You're obviously free to enjoy whatever you want, but there really are horizons to be broadened if you consider B&J to rank among the best in trance.

Old Post Mar-03-2018 16:31  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict



Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Hugging Whales And Saving Trees

Well, they've been making Chillout albums since at least 2003, so it's not like they really made a drastic change - they just began focusing much more on that sound, either for personal or commercial reasons.

I never considered them to be very good, to be honest, and I wouldn't say they had too many bona fide 'classics,' so it's not overly surprising that they haven't had new remixes of their old work.

Really, I think you're reading far too much into this.

Old Post Mar-03-2018 16:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2018
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Thanks for the summary

Old Post Mar-03-2018 16:52  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lownoise
tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2018
Location: Amsterdam

quote:
Originally posted by Midlothian
Well they may have consciously chosen to change direction for any number of reasons, ranging from personal taste to cater to their audience to simply commercial reasons or whatever. Or a combination.

What would they have been pioneering at the turn of the millennium? You might say they had their own typical sound from '98 - early noughties, if I remember correctly, but production-wise from a "trance" perspective they always lagged behind plenty others at the time. And alongside Piet Blank's DJing at events and Einslive Radio and the like it may in part have been remixes that led to some of their non-chart success, such as PvD's remix of "Cream". Perhaps Steve Thrillseekers Helstrip and Jam & Spoon's remixes of "Beyond Time"? The latter were some of the first tracks I came across when I began to familiarise myself with trance music back in 2000. They were different times.

Not sure what you mean by "copyrighting" and forbidding others to remix their tracks. Whether or not to have tracks remixed may be up to the record labels in question. Is new remixes what you're on about? No thanks, I'd say. And since they seem to have effectively left the trance scene there may be no incentive to re-release anything.

It would make no sense whatsoever for any DJ to show their face in a scene they're no part of, and haven't contributed to in any way production-wise for ages. Do they ignore questions about the matter in interviews? Or just when people facebook them annoying questions?

There's some (German) interviews easily googleable in which they seem to comment on some of their decisions re digital DJ'ing, making a living out of what they're doing at present.

You're obviously free to enjoy whatever you want, but there really are horizons to be broadened if you consider B&J to rank among the best in trance.


I said they where one of the best in that time, don't misunderstand me, maybe I brought the message a bit incorrect. You don't have to have liked there sound, I personal did! I think I just miss the late 90's and early millenium trance sound in general than! For example next to B&J you had Green Court. They also had that typical sound that you don't hear anymore.

Offcourse today the day there are enough beautiful and quality productions, don't get me wrong but lot's of trance also has a mixture of EDM and pop music and that's a development I don't like at all. You have much more subcategories in trance today than you had in the past.

About the remixing yes in all those years I seartanly would have expected that some artist would remix one of there tracks into the sound of trance today, that's what I meant.. but if that is a good idea, that's the 2nd question and I have to agree with you with no thanks! Most classic tracks have to stay classic and will never get any better!

I guess they just went with the flow.. trance was way more commercial those days and when that went over they made that turn I guess. All about the money??

I'm not informed that well about these guys, that's why I had to start this topic, just to answer my questions. Thanks for that!


___________________
Trance Vizion (Trance)Music Discussion Forum/Board With The Latest Trance News & Global DJ Sets! Come & Join Us @ (http://www.trancevizion.nl). Also Check Our Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/#trance_vizion.official

Old Post Mar-03-2018 17:20  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Lownoise Click here to Send Lownoise a Private Message Visit Lownoise's homepage! Add Lownoise to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict



Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Limburg, Netherlands

I never knew the Germans called them Bimmel & Bommel
I think they just went for the money at the time, if you can read German: https://www.tranceforum.info/forum/...jones/?pageNo=1


___________________

3th album single: Lisaya - Be Your Word [Vibrate Audio], click here

Old Post Mar-03-2018 17:24  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lownoise
tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2018
Location: Amsterdam

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
I never knew the Germans called them Bimmel & Bommel
I think they just went for the money at the time, if you can read German: https://www.tranceforum.info/forum/...jones/?pageNo=1


Thx lemme read!


___________________
Trance Vizion (Trance)Music Discussion Forum/Board With The Latest Trance News & Global DJ Sets! Come & Join Us @ (http://www.trancevizion.nl). Also Check Our Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/#trance_vizion.official

Old Post Mar-03-2018 17:27  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Lownoise Click here to Send Lownoise a Private Message Visit Lownoise's homepage! Add Lownoise to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Viber
In Search Of Unicorns



Registered: Jun 2003
Location: City, Country format

tbh, if you don't come back to this video every once in a while then you have no soul.




I have this "exclusive" radio set by them from 2000, it's unicorn jizz goodness, are people here interested in me uploading it?

Old Post Mar-04-2018 00:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Viber Click here to Send Viber a Private Message Add Viber to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: May 2001
Location: Hollywood....

quote:
Originally posted by Viber
tbh, if you don't come back to this video every once in a while then you have no soul.




I have this "exclusive" radio set by them from 2000, it's unicorn jizz goodness, are people here interested in me uploading it?


Was going to post this and and actually technically it's quite advanced; They do this 3d effect on the drum roll on one of the breaks where the amount of compression is X and the wet dry is the Y.

This was a massive track even though not one of my favorites as such. They had tons of huge hits and to say they didn't have many bona fide classics is just nonsense.

This is also probably in my top 5 of all time:




I will say some of the chill tracks they wrote were amazing and sold really well. I'd even hazard a guess that they make WAY more money of the chill stuff then they ever did off Trance, but that more speaks to the state of trance vs Chillout music.

Old Post Mar-04-2018 00:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep



Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Jersey Shore

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

I will say some of the chill tracks they wrote were amazing and sold really well. .


this is really a beautiful track


___________________

[QUOTE=thisisyumpop]I am a Wealth Management Advisor accused of selling and partying on a public forum where the NYPD street crimes and drug units read threads to get info on parties to shut down. This is not some bumblefuck hood, it is very serious. They could get my ip and investigate me over a lie. I could lose my entire career. The people on ta that know this are serious, this is too much[/quote]

Old Post Mar-04-2018 01:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lownoise
tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2018
Location: Amsterdam

quote:
Originally posted by Viber
tbh, if you don't come back to this video every once in a while then you have no soul.




I have this "exclusive" radio set by them from 2000, it's unicorn jizz goodness, are people here interested in me uploading it?


Thx Viber & yes please!

Cream!!

What do you think of tracks such as, The Nightfly, Beyond Time, DJ Culture, Desire, After Love, Watching The Waves, Summer Sun, Nightclubbing (Wippenberg Remix).. if you can't appreciate those you definitely have no soul indeed


___________________
Trance Vizion (Trance)Music Discussion Forum/Board With The Latest Trance News & Global DJ Sets! Come & Join Us @ (http://www.trancevizion.nl). Also Check Our Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/#trance_vizion.official

Old Post Mar-04-2018 08:20  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Lownoise Click here to Send Lownoise a Private Message Visit Lownoise's homepage! Add Lownoise to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
n0bben
-



Registered: May 2002
Location: Bastad

This one was a huge favorite of mine back then. Hard to believe 18 years have passed :/


___________________
Yunus Guvenen Tracklist Archive

Old Post Mar-04-2018 09:51  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for n0bben Click here to Send n0bben a Private Message Add n0bben to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Mystery Around Blank & Jones?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:02.

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is ON
vB code is ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Search this Thread:

 
Contact Us - return to tranceaddict

Powered by: Trance Music & vBulletin Forums
Copyright ©2000-2018

Privacy Statement / DMCA