Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Armin Van Buuren Answers Many Questions About Tiesto, Trance, etc
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by John 00 Fleming
Jack, I really like you as a person, we've had many deep enjoyable chats about music.
Comments like this on a dedicated Trance forum are counter productive. Maybe consider heading to another place where your tastes are more aligned.

John, I don't know if you recall me saying to you five years ago that I thought you should drop the word "trance" and move away from that scene, because I thought it was a dead end. I think we wouldn't need to have this discussion now if that had happened, and I caught a trace of that sentiment in this recent Facebook post of yours:

quote:
Here's a thought for you, some of the greatest Trance classics such as Energy 52 'Cafe del mar' that shaped the genre, if released today would be classed as Progressive House.

> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Rebel Alliance [Tech/Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Old Post Mar-01-2018 13:53  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancedanne
Supreme tranceaddict

Unless you are into generic trance and progressive this music died over 12-13 years ago.
The polished and clean sound took over and the raw quality disappeared.
I find perhaps 20 good trance tunes every year or so, almost always from the same producers.
I dont like what JOOF and Airwave plays, their own productions sound SO much better then the rest of the music they play from other producers.

The Dark Matter release on JOOF recently is pretty damn good tho, quality stuff.

Trance should learn alot from the GOA scene where the oldschool sound is still primary.

Last edited by trancedanne on Mar-01-2018 at 16:19

Old Post Mar-01-2018 16:08  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for trancedanne Click here to Send trancedanne a Private Message Add trancedanne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
drop the word "trance"

If I may, SYSTEM-J, would you use a specific, different label to describe the style of records he plays currently?

Discussion's not getting easier - to me at least - when some people use "trance" very narrowly (like trancedanne immediately above, if I understand correctly), but others might apply it more widely...

Old Post Mar-01-2018 16:24  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I wouldn't use one word, because John variously plays progressive, techno, trance and psy. But he always talked extensively about "trance" - the resurgence of trance, deep trance, keeping trance alive, etc. His radio show is Global Trance Grooves. And he has largely kept himself on the trance and psy circuits. I can understand why, because this is where his fanbase is and also where he has built up his network of contacts. There will always be work for him there, and his career is still flying on an individual level. But there was never any real need to hang on to the T-word, because it has bad connotations in the modern clubbing scene, and it also kept him trapped in a bookings limbo where he was only ever getting to play alongside people with a different sound - either the boshing trance crew, or the psy "band-aid" sound, as he himself dubs it.

What could have happened is that he ditched that tag, shifted his sound slightly away from the higher tempo and more psychedelic stuff, and aligned himself more closely with the "progressive" scene. He doesn't seem to play with the likes of Hernan Cattaneo, Henry Saiz or Nick Warren very often, except perhaps at big festivals, and yet that circuit is booming right now, and providing breakout names. You can listen to sets by some of the trendiest DJs around - Solomun, Patrice Baumel, DJ Tennis - and they're playing tracks by Cid Inc, Guy J, Guy Mantzur, etc. "Progressive" was itself a dirty word for several years, but now it's back in favour even with the big underground names.

None of which is to say he could only play "progressive". A lot of the big names in that scene will play techno, tech house, deep house, even cosmic disco at times. And equally, there are lot of Drumcode-style techno DJs who are now mixing in trancey tunes, and even pitched-down trance classics. J00F was playing up to 50% techno in his sets when I last saw him. He could have gone in that direction without really changing his sound very far at all. Whichever way he went, there would have been the opportunity to inject some of the "J00F sound" into these scenes, without being left an isolated musical island.

The key here is not about finding some genre label which surgically defines his sound. It's more about branding and connotations. John made it his mission to brand himself as the face of "deep trance". Like I said, it worked very well for him, and he soaked up a lot of frustrated trance fans. But the constant "deep trance revival" talk started to ring hollow years ago, and looking at the way the picture has shifted over the last few years, I can't help but feel he backed the wrong horse.

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Mar-01-2018 at 17:06

Old Post Mar-01-2018 16:58  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

Old Post Mar-01-2018 18:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kuhis
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
hahaha. i wonder what the paul in that video would think of the vonyc sessions

I think this version of the same video sums things out pretty well:

Last edited by Kuhis on Mar-01-2018 at 19:18

Old Post Mar-01-2018 19:02  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Kuhis Click here to Send Kuhis a Private Message Add Kuhis to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Apologies DJ Rann (I like how auto correct turns this to DJ Rant) , we must be very close friends that speak every week as you are talking on my behalf, but I donít recall ever speaking to you once?

Let me refresh your memory of when I was resident at the legendary Zap club in Brighton for 8 years (1500 capacity) with Techno legends Dave Clarke and Eric Powell. At the same time resident at Sterns in Sussex (3000 capacity) and The Manor in Bournemouth (2500 capacity). In fact I held a handful of residencies at the same time, Bagleyís films studios every Friday in London (4000 capacity), Sunny side up at SW1 London (1800 Capacity), World dance club Angel London (1000), Colosseum London (2500), when signed to React records was resident weekly at their Wildlife nights each week at the legendary Heaven London (2500), then every other weekend at Trade Turnmills, London (1800 Capacity), Return to the source, Peach, Camden Palace and the list is endless.

I donít ever recall playing at dingy squat parties in London, because I didnít have time. That was probably due to my career expanding when the legendary Golden club made me resident in the Midlands, the same promoter ran Cream in Liverpool, so I was there once a month. Same story at Gatecrasher. Oh lets not forget my long residency at Gods Kitchen, I also compiled and mixed all their mix compilations, but never put my name to them.
International was same story, resident for Spundae at 1015 San Francisco and LA (club now called Avalon), and every month at Government Toronto (9,000 capacity). The list goes on.
That was probably something to do with me selling over 10 million mix compilations?

Yes I made this tone sarcastic, only to highlight that most of you here are second guessing whats going on and creating the now famous term fake news. Instead of contributing and rebuilding the Trance scene, you are contributing to the demise of the genre by being keyboard warriors and policing this forum and pointing the finger of blame. I personally know a handful of legendary producers that have given up due to forums like this because they couldnít handle all the fake stuff going on. So thereís your contribution to the scene right there. Somehow Iíve learned to hardened up to it.

Armin isnít responsible for fixing the scene, we all are. But it canít be done by armchair forum police puling people down. Iíve been so close to leaving Trance many times because of this, it's a horrible eviroment especially here and why no DJs come here anymore and its slowly becoming a ghost town.

Trance is currently very healthy and growing in size, theres a massive underground scene thriving you just need to find it, Iíve been investing a lot of time meetings with Beatport, DJ mag, festival promoters, producers and they all identify this too and are looking to support it.

If you spent time researching, instead of being lost in your own bubble here, youíll all find it and contribute and enjoying. But your negativityís has created this lonely ghost town, a quick read through topics only highlights none of you see what we are seeing, hence why you are disconnected with realityÖjust like DJ Rann was with my history.

Finally for the record. Iíve been very good friends with Armin for well over 20 years. Its not suddenly a new thing. Same story with many other DJs from various genres.

John, unlike some others on here I've always had a firm respect for you - I don't have the same opinion as say Jack who thinks you've been banging on out about the resurgence of trance for the last 10 years like a broken record for self serving purposes, nor made claims that you just get to a club and just "bang it out"

Frankly speaking, I don't listen to a huge amount of trance these days becuase it's utter shit compared to what I experienced growing up in London in the mid 90's where you were playing smaller venues. So you'll have to excuse me if I have a little reservations about people like Armin, that I saw play quite brilliant music music in 1997 compared the to utter dross he churns out now for financial gain.

I get it. You have to stand up for him becuase you're leveraged now, I understand how both the industry and PR works -I worked my way up from selling kit to yuo and your mates at Turnkey then working with studios such as Air Studios and Abbey Road to work a very well known composer here in LA, so despite your childish digs (which frankly should be beneath you for what you've achieved) I'm not some armchair pundit spending all my time on TA "trying to bring people down"

I'll also say that guys who quit the industry becuase they didn't like what was said on here or other forums, it's probably just as well they did a got a nice cubicle job somewhere, becuase any industry that involved the capitalization of art, especially music, has a ton of detractors, are hard slog to success and requires an incredibly thick skin. Sounds harsh but the poor diddums didn't have a chance in the first place.

These days I work with a lot of A list/celeb talent and you can't even imagine the shit that gets put out there for no reason other than someone's derange personal hate, and if again, if someone can't handle a little criticism - warranted or unwarranted - they shouldn't be attempting to be an artist

Also, it's great to hear you CV (however unnecessary it was to post it) but are you actually suggesting with a straight face that you went from nothing, to packing out Avalon LA (just up the road from where I love now) without playing smaller clubs?

Bear in mind I might still have the flyers where you're playing alongside such notables as Skol and Roosta (remember them?).

Raves at Bagleys was one of the first events I ever went to and I used to live on Camden High street so saw you play at Sunnyside (and probably peach too) more times that I can remember, but that was later. I'm talking about the clubs you played circa 1995/1996 and those weren't the zap, cream or godskitchen.

I think you missed the point here though; I'm saying I remember you playing small venues where DJ names weren't a big pull (the event itself was) so you should realize that my post was actually response to jacks, that he was saying you had said that venues like Turnmills were unmarked DJ booths where the DJ didn't get any attention.... which from my 50 or so memories of the Gallery or Trade was far from the truth, especially so as if you were already playing the Newman family venue, you'd already had a serious position of stature and it wasn't some random playing in a "hidden booth" etc.

You'll note I didn't make any comments on what you;re actually playing these days - that was all other people, my observation is that there's very few people who stuck to a deeper sound such as yourself and due to that you inherited a unique position in this day and sure.

Sure Trance might be growing but there's not a single regular trance night here in LA right now and SF's last just closed. Things are cyclical, things come and go, but when I moved here in 2007 I had at least 3 or 4 trance/prog nights at big clubs to choose from (Avalon, Vanuagurd, Ivar, etc) and now there's none. It might be growing elsewhere, maybe Europe, but it's no so much here in the USA and believe me, I've looked.

So you're right, I may be a little disconnected becuase the scene you say is growing is actually receding in my locale, but that means we have different perspectives.

To be honest, the biggest thing you can do for the scene is what you;re doing now;

speaking directly to the people that are involved and have been invested. I mean shit, we're on a VB forum that hasn't changed in 15 years (in spite of everything social media has thrown at the internet) so it's not too much of a stretch to say we're the hardcore enthusiasts.

Some of the worst things I see with this scene is that high profile DJ's only ever engage when their names are sullied, rather than contributing positively in other time to the conversation.

I know for a fact, dozens of "big names" lurk on TA but only come out of the woodwork to correct something negative. That's shitty way to run a business or build a reputation, so I hope you stick around a little to encourage the scene a bit more. It needs it.

Old Post Mar-01-2018 19:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
you should realize that my post was actually response to jacks, that he was saying you had said that venues like Turnmills were unmarked DJ booths where the DJ didn't get any attention....

Huh? Where the fuck did I say anything even remotely resembling that?

Old Post Mar-01-2018 20:19  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Huh? Where the fuck did I say anything even remotely resembling that?

My bad, it was actually Trance-M who posted that specific reference. I take it back.

I stand by all the other shit you bashed him about though

quote:
I'm not sure J00F is particularly "sincere". So much of what he says is exaggerated self-aggrandisement prefixed with proclamations that he's one of the most humble people in the industry. He's done very well for himself by marketing himself as the face of "deep" trance music, when in reality I've seen him at least ten times in a club and never heard him do anything but bang it out. It's only the naivety and musical ignorance of modern trance crowds that allows him to sell himself as "deep".

quote:
We all jumped on the promised "deep trance revival" circa 2011 and it never went anywhere. What's left to discuss? Naff psy-trance and Armin's latest monstrosity?

Old Post Mar-01-2018 21:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
John 00 Fleming
tranceaddict

quote:
I wouldn't use one word, because John variously plays progressive, techno, trance and psy. But he always talked extensively about "trance" - the resurgence of trance, deep trance, keeping trance alive, etc. His radio show is Global Trance Grooves. And he has largely kept himself on the trance and psy circuits. I can understand why, because this is where his fanbase is and also where he has built up his network of contacts. There will always be work for him there, and his career is still flying on an individual level. But there was never any real need to hang on to the T-word, because it has bad connotations in the modern clubbing scene, and it also kept him trapped in a bookings limbo where he was only ever getting to play alongside people with a different sound - either the boshing trance crew, or the psy "band-aid" sound, as he himself dubs it.

What could have happened is that he ditched that tag, shifted his sound slightly away from the higher tempo and more psychedelic stuff, and aligned himself more closely with the "progressive" scene. He doesn't seem to play with the likes of Hernan Cattaneo, Henry Saiz or Nick Warren very often, except perhaps at big festivals, and yet that circuit is booming right now, and providing breakout names. You can listen to sets by some of the trendiest DJs around - Solomun, Patrice Baumel, DJ Tennis - and they're playing tracks by Cid Inc, Guy J, Guy Mantzur, etc. "Progressive" was itself a dirty word for several years, but now it's back in favour even with the big underground names.

None of which is to say he could only play "progressive". A lot of the big names in that scene will play techno, tech house, deep house, even cosmic disco at times. And equally, there are lot of Drumcode-style techno DJs who are now mixing in trancey tunes, and even pitched-down trance classics. J00F was playing up to 50% techno in his sets when I last saw him. He could have gone in that direction without really changing his sound very far at all. Whichever way he went, there would have been the opportunity to inject some of the "J00F sound" into these scenes, without being left an isolated musical island.

The key here is not about finding some genre label which surgically defines his sound. It's more about branding and connotations. John made it his mission to brand himself as the face of "deep trance". Like I said, it worked very well for him, and he soaked up a lot of frustrated trance fans. But the constant "deep trance revival" talk started to ring hollow years ago, and looking at the way the picture has shifted over the last few years, I can't help but feel he backed the wrong horse.

I know people reading this are excepting a battle between myself and Jack, but weíve historically had some long epic chats and debates that always ended with a handshake, thats what I like about you.

I get what you are saying, but youíre not fully seeing what Iím doing and just focusing on maybe some moments in the past. My whole career Iíve sat in the middle of these two worlds, I play and work with ĎProgressive/Technoí clubs and promoters along with the Trance world. I donít want to be fully party of that Progressive world because I enjoy playing slightly harder and having fun moments now and then, and I also do the same in the Psy world too but play Progressive sets. I guess Iím unique as I canít think of many other DJís that do this, nor get accepted by these other worlds.

Iím in the most happy place at the moment, Iím packed with high quality gigs, Iíve no need to follow the others nor adapt my sound, I just do my on thing and its working. I accept the last decade has been challenging musically not only for me, but others similar, the Progressive scene went very minimal and slow, the Trance scene commercial and Psy scene one dimensional. Many forget the Psy scene used to offer an awesome take on Progressive, think Spiral Trax, Hernan Cattaneo used to release and support here.
Finding music for that middle ground became extremely difficult, many of my favourite labels and producers disappeared and gave up, until recently when theres been a huge musical shift that seems to be heading to this one central point. Progressive House and Techno are getting more musical, the Psy scene are making huge changes supporting the Progressive sound again.
Finding music is a pleasure now, one moment Iím frustrated and heading to my band-aid, now Iíve got far too much amazing music that I canít fit in a set.

Its why Iím super happy along with many others that see some change coming (Promoters, media, labels etc). This is what we do behind the scenes, at music conferences etc, communicate. Maybe why I feel so positive. If you or anyone else wants to translate my passion and love and encouragement for the music as preaching, youíre wrong. Iíve ridden through these changes in the past and that experience has taught me change does eventually come.

Iíve dedicated 28 years of my career to Trance music, this will always be in my heart. I like the Trance world, I can have more fun as a DJ here, I guess thats why Iíll always lean slightly more towards it. Agreed the shopfront of the genre isnít ideal at the moment, but as I say to everyone dig deeper youíll find some gems.

Weíve all had different introductions to Trance music through the decades, I lived through the birth, off the back of Techno so this will be my take on things. Others in 2000ís when it was more uplifting, that will be their take on things, and todays generation see it as vocal drops. Here lays the confusion.

Old Post Mar-01-2018 22:06  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for John 00 Fleming Click here to Send John 00 Fleming a Private Message Visit John 00 Fleming's homepage! Add John 00 Fleming to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
John 00 Fleming
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
John, unlike some others on here I've always had a firm respect for you - I don't have the same opinion as say Jack who thinks you've been banging on out about the resurgence of trance for the last 10 years like a broken record for self serving purposes, nor made claims that you just get to a club and just "bang it out"

Frankly speaking, I don't listen to a huge amount of trance these days becuase it's utter shit compared to what I experienced growing up in London in the mid 90's where you were playing smaller venues. So you'll have to excuse me if I have a little reservations about people like Armin, that I saw play quite brilliant music music in 1997 compared the to utter dross he churns out now for financial gain.

I get it. You have to stand up for him becuase you're leveraged now, I understand how both the industry and PR works -I worked my way up from selling kit to yuo and your mates at Turnkey then working with studios such as Air Studios and Abbey Road to work a very well known composer here in LA, so despite your childish digs (which frankly should be beneath you for what you've achieved) I'm not some armchair pundit spending all my time on TA "trying to bring people down"

I'll also say that guys who quit the industry becuase they didn't like what was said on here or other forums, it's probably just as well they did a got a nice cubicle job somewhere, becuase any industry that involved the capitalization of art, especially music, has a ton of detractors, are hard slog to success and requires an incredibly thick skin. Sounds harsh but the poor diddums didn't have a chance in the first place.

These days I work with a lot of A list/celeb talent and you can't even imagine the shit that gets put out there for no reason other than someone's derange personal hate, and if again, if someone can't handle a little criticism - warranted or unwarranted - they shouldn't be attempting to be an artist

Also, it's great to hear you CV (however unnecessary it was to post it) but are you actually suggesting with a straight face that you went from nothing, to packing out Avalon LA (just up the road from where I love now) without playing smaller clubs?

Bear in mind I might still have the flyers where you're playing alongside such notables as Skol and Roosta (remember them?).

Raves at Bagleys was one of the first events I ever went to and I used to live on Camden High street so saw you play at Sunnyside (and probably peach too) more times that I can remember, but that was later. I'm talking about the clubs you played circa 1995/1996 and those weren't the zap, cream or godskitchen.

I think you missed the point here though; I'm saying I remember you playing small venues where DJ names weren't a big pull (the event itself was) so you should realize that my post was actually response to jacks, that he was saying you had said that venues like Turnmills were unmarked DJ booths where the DJ didn't get any attention.... which from my 50 or so memories of the Gallery or Trade was far from the truth, especially so as if you were already playing the Newman family venue, you'd already had a serious position of stature and it wasn't some random playing in a "hidden booth" etc.

You'll note I didn't make any comments on what you;re actually playing these days - that was all other people, my observation is that there's very few people who stuck to a deeper sound such as yourself and due to that you inherited a unique position in this day and sure.

Sure Trance might be growing but there's not a single regular trance night here in LA right now and SF's last just closed. Things are cyclical, things come and go, but when I moved here in 2007 I had at least 3 or 4 trance/prog nights at big clubs to choose from (Avalon, Vanuagurd, Ivar, etc) and now there's none. It might be growing elsewhere, maybe Europe, but it's no so much here in the USA and believe me, I've looked.

So you're right, I may be a little disconnected becuase the scene you say is growing is actually receding in my locale, but that means we have different perspectives.

To be honest, the biggest thing you can do for the scene is what you;re doing now;

speaking directly to the people that are involved and have been invested. I mean shit, we're on a VB forum that hasn't changed in 15 years (in spite of everything social media has thrown at the internet) so it's not too much of a stretch to say we're the hardcore enthusiasts.

Some of the worst things I see with this scene is that high profile DJ's only ever engage when their names are sullied, rather than contributing positively in other time to the conversation.

I know for a fact, dozens of "big names" lurk on TA but only come out of the woodwork to correct something negative. That's shitty way to run a business or build a reputation, so I hope you stick around a little to encourage the scene a bit more. It needs it.

Thats the danger of forum, a quick read, moment of passion and hit reply. A moment of weakness, but as you pointed out it happened to you too. No malice intended, and as you're so close to Avalon you got no excuse to come along when I'm there next month!

Also answer you your question, I'm one lucky DJ, at the age of 15 landed a residency at Sterns in Sussex UK, 3000 capacity. BUT I also love playing small tiny venues too, actively make this happen.

Old Post Mar-01-2018 22:10  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for John 00 Fleming Click here to Send John 00 Fleming a Private Message Visit John 00 Fleming's homepage! Add John 00 Fleming to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
I donít want to be fully party of that Progressive world because I enjoy playing slightly harder and having fun moments now and then

Well that's what I was referring to when I talked about you "banging it out". I've seen you DJ many times where you get the glint in your eye, and you just unleash hell on the dancefloor. In my mind you would be better labelling yourself the master of "dark trance" rather than "deep trance". What I always associate with John 00 Fleming is that dark and evil sound on the dancefloor that makes you twist your face into ugly shapes of pleasure.

I agree you are unique, and that's something not a lot of DJs can claim. You pull together several different genres into an extremely distinctive musical palette that pretty much stands outside of any pigeon-holed scene or DJ circuit. However, that's the rub - you are an outlier. The trance scene will continue going in one direction, while the more melodic/progressive scene will go in another, and you will always be somewhere in the middle. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling trance "dead" and saying the revival will never happen.

Being selfish, I still wish you'd have come closer to the progressive scene. That's where my heart has always been, and I'm imagining an alternate timeline where you didn't need to talk up the forlorn hopes of trance, and we wouldn't have to get frustrated about a revolution that never arrived.

Anyway, thank you for being extremely gracious towards me, despite me saying some less-than-gracious things in this thread.

Old Post Mar-01-2018 22:44  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Armin Van Buuren Answers Many Questions About Tiesto, Trance, etc
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread