Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA > Ohio Tranceaddicts / Events Thread
Pages (115): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Shubs
tranceaddict in training

He played about 1.5 of Andy Duguid - Don't belong (BRILLIANT TRACK) a proggier tune, and then mixes I think an absolute loud banging techy trance tune. To me, that's just being a sub-par DJ. I was upset at the fact that a DJ of such high stature can have such a bad performance.

I don't mean disrespect or anything, but most of the people within US or Cleveland, if you will, don't know better. They only want big name artists, which sucks, cause there are A LOT OF good djs out there who are technically and musically more sound than the formentioned DJ.

Cleveland's gig was the first time I heard Tiesto, I am prolly going to hold my absolute judgement till I hear him one more time at a potentially bigger venue.

At then end of the day, the gig was prolly a great success for most people, which is AMAZING but people, for sure, need to know better.

Old Post Oct-03-2007 18:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Shubs Click here to Send Shubs a Private Message Visit Shubs's homepage! Add Shubs to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AMMORA
are u Listed?

I need to share an observation...
I find it very VERY interesting that the fellow "DJs" on this forum are always the ones who criticize the big timers like Tiesto over little things that to the ordinary listener don't matter. You talk about beat-matching and stalling sets...yet you're not up there performing for thousands of people around the world on a regular basis.
I'm not criticizing or assuming anything about any of you...i just think sometimes you come across as jealous trance-snobs. Lighten up...walking out on a show b/c you wanted to be nit-picky about technique is ridiculous. You're there to have fun! Enjoy the atmosphere and be lucky anyone came to play for you to begin with. Otherwise you're completely missing the point of all of this. There are good sets, great sets, and phenomenal sets---but if you spend all of your time complaining about stupid shit you miss out on so much of what this culture is all about.
We could be in a dictatorship or communist country where freedom of expression is banned and this forum wouldn't even exist.

Just think on it.

there comes a time when the operation of the machine is so odious that you cannot even tacitly participate. you've got to place your bodies on the gears, the wheels, all the mechanism. you've got to indicate to those who own it and those who run it, that unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from working at all.

Old Post Oct-04-2007 01:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AMMORA Click here to Send AMMORA a Private Message Add AMMORA to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shubs
tranceaddict in training

In reply to the above post..

There's no denying that he's prolly played more events and more people than many of us on this forum, hands down he's good at what he does (may it be him or his Marketing/PR team).

I understand where you come from about the enjoying the party rather than criticizing.
A lot of us are not 'trance snobs' or 'jealous', like you said but we are just nit picky. Especially if we are paying 50-80 bucks for an event with the 'world's best dj' catering to us I don't think I would be wrong in expecting a class act/night.

I personally feel that big acts like Tiesto undermine smaller crowds, like Cleveland, where they think they can get away with playing w/e they want. This is exactly why I feel like I should completely express my views. I was there when Gabriel & Dresden and Markus Schulz played at Sinergy, both of them brought their A-GAME! Extremely tight sets with crazy flow.

Again, this are my opinions, and I am trying to have a healthy discussion and see if people felt the same way as I did.

Old Post Oct-04-2007 01:46  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Shubs Click here to Send Shubs a Private Message Visit Shubs's homepage! Add Shubs to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Andryuha
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Shubs
In reply to the above post..

There's no denying that he's prolly played more events and more people than many of us on this forum, hands down he's good at what he does (may it be him or his Marketing/PR team).

I understand where you come from about the enjoying the party rather than criticizing.
A lot of us are not 'trance snobs' or 'jealous', like you said but we are just nit picky. Especially if we are paying 50-80 bucks for an event with the 'world's best dj' catering to us I don't think I would be wrong in expecting a class act/night.

I personally feel that big acts like Tiesto undermine smaller crowds, like Cleveland, where they think they can get away with playing w/e they want. This is exactly why I feel like I should completely express my views. I was there when Gabriel & Dresden and Markus Schulz played at Sinergy, both of them brought their A-GAME! Extremely tight sets with crazy flow.

Again, this are my opinions, and I am trying to have a healthy discussion and see if people felt the same way as I did.

Gabriel and Dresden? Are you kidding me? I saw them 3 times and every time their track selection was very similar and not so good to begin with. I'll never go to see them again. It boggled my mind that KT played an opening set for them. He should have been the main event.

With that said, I'm 100% with AMMORA here.

Old Post Oct-04-2007 03:08  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for Andryuha Click here to Send Andryuha a Private Message Add Andryuha to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shubs
tranceaddict in training

Aaah. See, I've only seen G&D once. Maybe that's why I thought they were good.
Then again, I kinda do agree with you on their selection. It all sounds similar. *foot in mouth*
But it doesn't sound bad.

At Tiesto's gig, I feel, that all tracks in themselves were great BUT they weren't sequenced or mixed properly. That's all.

Old Post Oct-04-2007 03:18  United States
AMMORA
are u Listed?

Be Cool!

ah...the self-centered and self-absorbed opinions.
why is everyone always on the defensive? what do you possibly have to be defensive about? If you don't buy the hype, don't pay the $ to go see the hype. Simple as that.

again, food for thought.

there comes a time when the operation of the machine is so odious that you cannot even tacitly participate. you've got to place your bodies on the gears, the wheels, all the mechanism. you've got to indicate to those who own it and those who run it, that unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from working at all.

Old Post Oct-04-2007 15:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AMMORA Click here to Send AMMORA a Private Message Add AMMORA to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shubs
tranceaddict in training

I thought the hype was for real TILL he came on stage at Metropolis.

Old Post Oct-04-2007 16:20  United States
Igaryok
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Shubs
I am really surprised people really liked Tiesto's gig in Cleveland.

www.sqprojekt.com

People liked Tiesto's set? Who?

Probably the same people that think they're in a presence of a God whenever they see Tiesto live. Honestly I hate seeing these "top 10" Dj's, there's no suprise whatsover to their sets. They play every track that has been hammered to death for the past year and think they've rocked the club. This was a huge problem with Tiesto, ATB, Gabriel & Dresden, etc. I might as well go to Beatport download the top 20 tracks for the year, load them into Winamp and call it a night.

quote:
Originally posted by AMMORA
I need to share an observation...
I find it very VERY interesting that the fellow "DJs" on this forum are always the ones who criticize the big timers like Tiesto over little things that to the ordinary listener don't matter. You talk about beat-matching and stalling sets...yet you're not up there performing for thousands of people around the world on a regular basis.
I'm not criticizing or assuming anything about any of you...i just think sometimes you come across as jealous trance-snobs. Lighten up...walking out on a show b/c you wanted to be nit-picky about technique is ridiculous. You're there to have fun! Enjoy the atmosphere and be lucky anyone came to play for you to begin with. Otherwise you're completely missing the point of all of this. There are good sets, great sets, and phenomenal sets---but if you spend all of your time complaining about stupid shit you miss out on so much of what this culture is all about.
We could be in a dictatorship or communist country where freedom of expression is banned and this forum wouldn't even exist.

Just think on it.

Ordinary listener? I guarantee you that an "ordinary listener" will not waste his/her time to post on a message board didicated to a specific genre of music.

I also enjoyed the rest of your post. It's as if you're encouraging us to praise mediocrity? I thought the whole point of a message board was to share your thoughts or concerns even if they're not necessarily positive.

I'm not knocking Tiesto, because he has done some great things in his time, once you sift through the shit. But this set was anything but great.

Last edited by Igaryok on Oct-05-2007 at 16:06

Old Post Oct-05-2007 06:02  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for Igaryok Click here to Send Igaryok a Private Message Add Igaryok to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DPetey81
Supreme tranceaddict

Something I think we all need to remember when referring to these "big name" djs, is that they are in some way required to play these watered down sets. Their popularity is undeniable, and with that popularity comes a certain expectation to cater to the larger mainstream crowd, rather than the few, more educated edm fans. The majority of people who attend the huge events like tiesto and avb, especially in towns like cleveland and cbus, make it out once in a great while to a trance event. In the meantime, the only trance that they hear may very well be something from the top of Beatport's list. Hearing those songs in a club, however, is a much better experience than walking down the street with your ipod. So when these people head out to the large event that they have been waiting all year for, they expect to hear those songs that have been "rocking dance floors" for the past year, because it is their only chance to experience them in a club atmosphere. Think of it as more of a concert than anything else. If a rock fan went to a Bon Jovi concert, and the band played nothing but new, unreleased songs, the majority of the crowd would be dissappointed. In the same way, if someone like Tiesto, who plays once a year, if that, in a town like Cleveland, were to play a set filled with brand new, obscure tracks, no matter how good, most people would leave thinking it was a subpar set because they didn't hear the "bombs" they were waiting for. I, myself, would be ecstatic if a dj played in such a way, but I go see the big names knowing what to expect. As far as the technical aspect, I am not a dj myself, but I do notice bad transiitions, and it usually takes me a minute to recover, but once I do, I go on enjoying the atmosphere.

With all that being said, it's not all that often we get these djs around here. I, for one, think it definitely enhances the scene because more people will come out. More people enjoying edm is only a good thing in my book.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................

AVB - Nov 4
PVD - Nov 22

Old Post Oct-05-2007 16:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DPetey81 Click here to Send DPetey81 a Private Message Visit DPetey81's homepage! Add DPetey81 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shubs
tranceaddict in training

I agree with the crowd pleasing songs, and water down sets but at the cost of technicality? That's BS.

Even if someone asked me to do a mix of Darude's Sandstorm to Benny Benassi's Satisfaction (Two of the most popular tunes in the Continental US) I would prolly beat match them and use a tad bit of EQ to prevent frequency clashing.

Tiesto on the other hand seemed like he knew the crowd wasn't going anywhere and he could have gotten away with anything he wanted. Now that, to me, is unfair. Undermining the audience is HS.

Old Post Oct-05-2007 16:26  United States
Andryuha
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DPetey81
Something I think we all need to remember when referring to these "big name" djs, is that they are in some way required to play these watered down sets. Their popularity is undeniable, and with that popularity comes a certain expectation to cater to the larger mainstream crowd, rather than the few, more educated edm fans. The majority of people who attend the huge events like tiesto and avb, especially in towns like cleveland and cbus, make it out once in a great while to a trance event. In the meantime, the only trance that they hear may very well be something from the top of Beatport's list. Hearing those songs in a club, however, is a much better experience than walking down the street with your ipod. So when these people head out to the large event that they have been waiting all year for, they expect to hear those songs that have been "rocking dance floors" for the past year, because it is their only chance to experience them in a club atmosphere. Think of it as more of a concert than anything else. If a rock fan went to a Bon Jovi concert, and the band played nothing but new, unreleased songs, the majority of the crowd would be dissappointed. In the same way, if someone like Tiesto, who plays once a year, if that, in a town like Cleveland, were to play a set filled with brand new, obscure tracks, no matter how good, most people would leave thinking it was a subpar set because they didn't hear the "bombs" they were waiting for. I, myself, would be ecstatic if a dj played in such a way, but I go see the big names knowing what to expect. As far as the technical aspect, I am not a dj myself, but I do notice bad transiitions, and it usually takes me a minute to recover, but once I do, I go on enjoying the atmosphere.

With all that being said, it's not all that often we get these djs around here. I, for one, think it definitely enhances the scene because more people will come out. More people enjoying edm is only a good thing in my book.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................

AVB - Nov 4
PVD - Nov 22

Great post. Personally, I don't care whether a DJ plays a tune that is one week old or 5 years old. Who cares? I love hearing some old classics in a club environment. It would be stupid to restrict DJs to only play tunes that no one has ever heard. It's all good, as long as music keeps the crowd moving and tunes flow nicely. I don't go to clubs to spot mistakes - I go there to enjoy the atmosphere and have fun. If a DJ fails to create this "atmosphere," then, IMO, he sucks. Tiesto's set may not have been technically sound, but the energy and aproper atmosphere were definitely there.

Old Post Oct-05-2007 16:30  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for Andryuha Click here to Send Andryuha a Private Message Add Andryuha to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Igaryok
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Andryuha
Great post. Personally, I don't care whether a DJ plays a tune that is one week old or 5 years old. Who cares? I love hearing some old classics in a club environment. It would be stupid to restrict DJs to only play tunes that no one has ever heard.

Sure, I couldn't agree more. But there needs to be a good balance between the two, I will personally never forget when KT played Three Drives. I thought I would never hear that track in a club environment ever again. But when you look at Tiesto's set he only played tunes that everybody knew and heard a million of times.

Not to mention, I've never seen a DJ whore himself out like that before. After the set was over it felt as if he played the entire "Elements of Life" album and then some. That was a big WTF for me. Sure he wants to promote his own album but this was simply ridicicilous. The entire night I was there I felt as if I was at the "Elements of life release party."

Old Post Oct-05-2007 16:54  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for Igaryok Click here to Send Igaryok a Private Message Add Igaryok to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA > Ohio Tranceaddicts / Events Thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (115): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackone last one for now... another good one though [2005] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackQuivver - "One Last Time" (Quivver Vs Redanka Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread