Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > TA best of 2017
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

This year was solid but there wasn't that one tune that I became obsessed with like say "Hideaway" or "Yoohoo" in 2014 or "Hiding" last year... one thing that I noticed is that retro trance and prog sounds are a bit more prominent in recent times, and some of the songs on my list definitely have that feel.

My #1, loving that piano riff:

It's like Wild Arms music meets chill/tropical house:

Dark and techy with a cool melody:

Feels like a throwback to the darker side of 90's trance:

Good to bob your head to, feels fresh and unique:

Some of the best trance I've heard in years, very reminiscent of Ferry's work under the Albion guise:

More quality throwback sounds from Bicep:

Deep, Tech House Mix - 2016

Sunday Deep House Mix - 2016 *NEW*
8 Hour Marathon Mix
All My Mixes!

Old Post Dec-13-2017 01:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

i am going to sit back and listen to all of this.

Old Post Dec-14-2017 02:18  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
Woony i liked some stuff in your list, do you have any recent mixes?

I made this dubtechno mix last month, only 5 or 6 records from this year though.

https://soundcloud.com/woony/november-2017

Re: Prog - Calling it "neotrance 2.0" was probably too strong of a statement, the point I wanted to make was that to me in terms of it it's production aesthetic and harmonic arrangements it seems much closer to those older Kompakt records than 90s and early 2000s prog. It's obviously not really minimal, but the drums for example in this stuff are often synthesized and noise-based, which is something that the minimal era introduced. Older prog records are much more heavy on classic sampler-based drums. Same with a lot of the arpeggios, they're kind of a modern take on classic spaced out 70s/80s US-analog style noodling. Obviously early 2000s prog had loads of arpeggios but those were often more sinewave based and soaked in shit tons of delays.

Obviously, I will admit to not being very knowledable of the modern prog of the last years so this is just my experience out of that context. If you are curious, this is my take on what an updated prog would sound like. Probably not very authentic but that's what It'd sound like in my head

https://soundcloud.com/woony/untitled469

Last edited by Woony on Dec-14-2017 at 10:43

Old Post Dec-14-2017 10:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The production style is naturally going to change over the course of 15 years. The kind of dark tribal prog from 2001-2 was produced very differently to the first wave from 1992. You play Lexicon Avenue next to Lionrock and there's precious little resemblance. It's often forgotten how much dark prog was influenced by the burgeoning tech house of Tyrant and Fabric at the turn of the millenium. Sasha had been playing a lot with Lee Burridge and Craig Richards and started mingling those records a lot. And then before that it had gone through several years of being influenced by second-wave European trance. So it's not the first or even second time the production aesthetic of another genre has been laid on and mutated the template.

As I've said many times before, we're taking 25 year old genre tags here and stretching them to breaking points as things continue to evolve.

> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Dec-14-2017 at 13:38

Old Post Dec-14-2017 13:25  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Sure, I wouldn't disagree that 'prog' is almost an useless genre description at this point, since it's been through so many different phases. There are legions of kids out there that only associate Deadmau5 and Anjunadeep with that term. That said, the early 2000s prog production aeshtetic seems like the most iconic to me and I would like a comeback of that kind of sound. You are probably right with the tech house comparison, since the modern records I've heard that are the closest to that old aeshtetic are some of these nu-oldschool-tech-electro records. Not talking about you specifically, but I've read articles talking about this new sound as if it's some kind throwback to early 2000s prog, which it really isn't IMO, which was the main point I was trying to make.

Old Post Dec-14-2017 14:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rdevito
Controlling Paradox

I recommend the following albums in no particular order:

Artefakt - Kinship
Art Alfie - Reveries Of
Shed - The Final Experiment
3KZ - Parallel Reflections
Bicep - Bicep
Intimacy - Transmissions From Biolab X
DJ Seinfeld - Time Spent Away From U
Markus Suckut - Resist
Legowelt - The Legendary Freaks In The Trash Of Time
Octo Octa - Were Are We Going?
Johannes Heil - Gospel
Pacific Coliseum - Ocean City

My annual top 50 tracks will come after Christmas. I will post here, for those who actually give 2 cents about my opinion

Old Post Dec-19-2017 00:18  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for rdevito Click here to Send rdevito a Private Message Add rdevito to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lonne
Stranger Than Fiction

Here's a short list of some of the albums I've enjoyed this year.

3KZ - Parallel Reflections
Steffi - World Of The Waking State
Shed - The Final Experiment
S.A.M. - Dream State Of A Bellmaker
Desolate - Lunar Glyphs

Old Post Dec-22-2017 19:54  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lonne Click here to Send lonne a Private Message Add lonne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
And equally, the better prog DJs do mix it up with tech house and techno.

I wouldn't completely agree with this. Sure, Hernan may throw in 1 or 2 techno tracks that are techno but for the most part the world renowned prog DJ's are extremely one dimensional. Last weekend, Hernan and Guy J went back 2 back for 20 hours (not a typo) in Montreal and some vids were posted on FB throughout the set. Almost every video posted, even in the beginning of the set when no one was in the club sounded like it could be in the progressive house section on Beatport.

To clarify, I'm talking guys like Darin Epsilon, Cid Inc, Marcelo Vasami, all of Sudbeat DJ's/Producers, Lost & Founds guys etc as not being particularly creative in the way of versatility.

On another not-completely-unrelated side note, it's ironic how kompakt is mentioned in the context of old vs. new when this absolute gem recently came out. This for me sounds like a DJ's dream in a 1996 progressive set.

Old Post Dec-22-2017 22:28  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Just go see the fucking DJs. "I skipped through the set", "I saw some clips on FB". Fuck me. We're reflecting on the year past, and who is actually talking about what they heard in a club?

> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Old Post Dec-23-2017 02:22  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

This thread is delivering! thanks guys. I havent had much a chance to listen to as much new music as i usually do so using this thread to catch up.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Dec-26-2017 07:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Here's one of my favorite records this year, heard Digweed drop 'Needle & Thread' and was instantly in awe; and the b-side is just straight up dope. Available digitally too.

Will also post a list of my goodies later.

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Dec-26-2017 at 21:25

Old Post Dec-26-2017 21:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

sick thread, really..

my also small list
sweely - stronger than me
adva - dust
gene on earth - pulse mode
flottant - resolution

obs: this objket release is amazing. digweed really dropped this? wtf

Old Post Dec-27-2017 11:06  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > TA best of 2017
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread