Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > TA best of 2017
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
I find that hard to believe She seems to have absolutely zero range as a DJ. Even her fans are calling her out on youtube for playing almost the same tracks verbatim every time, including like 50% of her own tracks which I've heard are supposedly ghost produced. EDM seems to have really lowered the bar for what is acceptable DJing since people seem to defend her on the basis that she's really mixing!!, as if chaining linear techno tools on CDJs one after another like a house DJ was some sort of grand achievement.

There is another belgian chick, Amelie Lens, doing kind of the the exact same thing but at least a bit better. I skipped through a 8 hour set of her, it was acceptable but she also has zero range - who the fuck wants to hear almost 8 hours of the exact same kind of techno? There seems to be a whole generation of kids conditioned to identifiy techno with only this one exact sound. I guess the same thing happens every time a certain sound makes it big? It seems emblematic for much of todadays underground-mainstream clubbing culture though, where crowds come to hear one specific thing and aren't willing to take anything else.

not sure how she has become a "big name", her tracks are really bad

Old Post Dec-12-2017 12:29  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I did practically the opposite to you. I don't think I can name more than 10 new LPs I heard in 2017, of any genre, but I must have bought something like 400 tunes for DJing in the last 12 months. Not on vinyl, obviously!

It's been a blinding year for melodic dance music. Prog is back. Even the likes of Mixmag have been pushing upcoming names like Khen and Cristoph, although they feel the need to dress it up in bullshit terms like "slow-burning techno" to convince people it's cool. Patrice Baumel was surely the big star of the year. He remixed everyone and everything, and played about three separate gigs at ADE alone. 2018 is going to be even bigger for this stuff, I can tell from the parties I've already got lined up in February and March. Trends seem to last around 3-4 years in dance music, and I think 2017-19 will be a high watermark for the kind of dance music I love.

Elsewhere, the retro-revival house that was big in previous years seems to have mutated into this new wave of god-awful UK "tech" house - think Patrick Topping, Solardo, CamelPhat and all the other pricks cluttering up the Beatport Top 100. This sound has been massive in the UK over the last year or so. It's like handbag house all over again, but for the snapback bro massive. Fucking gash.

Not entirely sure what's going on in techno, really. Its continual popularity now seems to be having the inevitable dilution effect. There now appears to be a "techno mainstream" that has become colonised by huge breakdowns and post-Drumcode big room shit. The only techno night I went to in 2017 was that Blind Observatory one, and he was admittedly brilliant. I will say, though, that 3kz album is top notch, Woony. Good share.

interesting what you say about prog being back, any mixes you could recommend? ill check out this Patrice Baumel guy

Old Post Dec-12-2017 12:30  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

(Obligatory)

> The Rebel Alliance [Tech/Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]
> Live @ Repose 001 12.02.17 [Ambient Electronica]

Old Post Dec-12-2017 13:09  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

thanks ^^^

Old Post Dec-12-2017 14:01  Ireland
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Isn't that stuff much more "neotrance" 2.0 rather than "new prog" though? A lot of these records sound like they could've come out on Kompakt in 2007.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 14:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I'm going to put it out there that I don't think you've listened to the full 5 hours of music I just posted before making that statement.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 15:50  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
I'm going to put it out there that I don't think you've listened to the full 5 hours of music I just posted before making that statement.

Obviously not but I did skip through all of them.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 16:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

Whenever I hear jack talk about prog

*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

december
une promenade dans le parc
nancy

Old Post Dec-12-2017 17:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:

(Obligatory)

Guy J mix is Guy J, reminds me why i never bother with his stuff anymore, Cattaneo/Warren i flicked through didnt really hear anything ear catching but will give it another go
Listened to the whole Khen mix - ok but nothing interesting

your own mix im half way through and by far the most interesting, really like that track that drops with the robotic vocals
too much prog stuff is just a wall of melodies, where are the weird techy basslines and grooves?
Woony i liked some stuff in your list, do you have any recent mixes?

Old Post Dec-12-2017 17:16  Ireland
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
Guy J mix is Guy J, reminds me why i never bother with his stuff anymore, Cattaneo/Warren i flicked through didnt really hear anything ear catching but will give it another go
Listened to the whole Khen mix - ok but nothing interesting

Well, I'm glad you like my mix. If you don't like the other stuff, fair enough. My main point was that the style has resurged notably in the last year or so - you're hearing it on Radio 1, you're hearing it pushed by Mixmag, you're hearing big DJs of other styles start to mix it in, you're seeing increased bookings for a lot of the DJs (and not just the capital-L Legends either). I've enjoyed it in the last year and I've really enjoyed the fact I can play a set based on stuff that's only a month old, rather than scraping around the bottom of the barrel for tunes like it was only a few years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Obviously not but I did skip through all of them.

I think it's pretty obvious if you listen to the full sets that they're not 2007 neo-trance. Granted, there's definitely a cross-over with contemporary melodic Kompakt stuff, which is one of the reasons why progressive is sneaking back into the sets of people who would never call themselves "prog". And equally, the better prog DJs do mix it up with tech house and techno. However, if you look at where the majority of the tunes are coming from, it's South America and Israel, it's producers being pushed by the likes of Hernan Cattaneo. There's little shared lineage with German neo-trance, which was effectively "arpeggiated minimal". You won't find many of the same producers from that era, and you won't find many people citing that era as an influence.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 18:29  England
Lira
Be a Good One!

quote:
Not entirely sure what's going on in techno, really.

Lazy pretentious people have made it so slow it's no longer dance music, that's what! I mean, if you're going to make music under 125 BPM, at least have the decency of ditching the 4/4 beat and pack some energy into those damn long bars, like this:

5. Rome B! Ft. KNYD - Booyah

It's just above 100 BPM, but this is dance music. The slow phasing in the beginning reminiscent of Big Beat in the 90s. The cheesy vocal sample. The booming bassline. The bitches twerking. Very yes.

4. Above & Beyond - Tightrope

The chord progression is quite interesting in this one. A bit too slow, but not so slow as to be boring. Besides this is a trance music website, so I'm contractually obliged to throw a trancer in the list.

3. Moby - Porcelain (Pola & Bryson Remix)

Drum'n'bass is the last refuge of descent fast-paced dance music, and this remix of Pola & Bryson is proof that classics are supposed to be chopped, remixed, and tinkered with until they get better.

It's usually hit or miss. Mostly miss, sure. But then, there are hits like this one.

2. Delta Heavy - Gargantua

The one good thing to come out of Interstellar, and I'm not even sure this has got bugger all to do with it. It's got all the good bits from the film (the musical goodness) minus Michael Caine and none of the bad ones (everything else). I can only pray someone will do something similar to Arrival, if only I could remember anything about it.

1. Noisia - Get Deaded (Bassnectar Remix)

This is what they should be playing in high schools all over the globe to have those poor drowsy students wake the hell up. This would be the end of the world as we know it. Social cohesion would break down. Confused freshmen and weaklings would have sound speakers mount them and call them daddy. But, isn't it what electronic dance music is supposed to do in the first place?

Incidentally, that's also my TOP 5 for this year.

0. Leo Justi - Swipe It Off

There are three things we Brazilians are good at:

1. Playing football
7. Getting trashed by Germany in football
3. Making the soundtrack for both #1 and #7

This is #3. Also, I couldn't really choose just one track by S.P.Y and Urbandawn and the other Brazilians from Hospital Records, so I had to leave them out, but I'll just add this honourable mention here because I wanted to share a song of my people. And this is it. If you play that blue disc in our flag backwards, that's what you get.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 21:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Salegon
Beautiful blond woman

Track was re-released in 2017, so I guess that counts

Old Post Dec-12-2017 22:52  St Lucia
Click Here to See the Profile for Salegon Click here to Send Salegon a Private Message Add Salegon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > TA best of 2017
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread