Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > End of the decade lists
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
It never went away because it was there for a long time before 2010, but in terms of its dominance over clubbing taste, I think the movement built up in the second half of the 2000s with stuff like The Field and LCD Soundsystem and peaked around 2010.

One of the more general cultural trends of the last decade is the switch in catch-all label for disparaging the mystifyingly popular from "hipster" to "millennial". I think hipster culture, with its attendant mouthpiece blogs and all-powerful cultural influence has died off in the last ten years to be replaced by social media, word-of-mouth and algorithms. You keep citing Resident Advisor as though they're some big cultural force, but nobody outside the electronic music scene gives a fuck about RA, not in the way they did/do about Pitchfork. In many ways the "blogosphere" was the last dying spasm of the traditional "tastemaker" media outlet, and the decline of that kind of media is why you can't find the same grand narrative for dance music, and the big albums that landmark those narratives. When everyone gets their tastes refined by a Spotify algorithm, who cares what the Big Important Albums are?

I keep citing RA because for the last decade they've been the only outlet in electronic music left with any sort of influence. That their influence, like all traditional media, is waning is not up for debate - their reviews obviously won't make anyone blow up like Pitchfork could do back in the day. But I think they still matter as far as credibility goes - they're clearly still relevant enough for the business techno crew to keep throwing money at sponsored RA reviews. And as far as legitimacy through traditional outlet still matters, RA is the only supplier.

Anyways, obviously you are right that there has been a massive change but what makes me sceptical of the idea that the death of traditional media necessarily equals the death of grand narratives in music is that these narratives still exist in other genres. Maybe not to the extend that they used but certainly still to much larger extent than in dance music. Like, if you hop on Reddit and check what Gen Z teenagers listening to Hiphop care about, they really care about what the big important albums are and spin all sorts of grand narratives. Obviously the tastemakers have largely changed - they're now Youtubers, podcasters, influencers and playlist managers (even in 2019, all of the important playlists are put together by humans) but tastemaking and narrative consensus (e.g. the "best of decade" discussion being completely dominated by the same ten artists) still seems to exist in that world. That said, obviously Hiphop has always been much more about narratives than dance music. The average punter probably has never cared much about lists and narratives and critical acclaim. I suppose it's very possible that with the death of what you dubbed hipster culture, there's just no demand for new narratives within dance music. Which makes me wonder how the scene is going to function moving foward, I've spoken to people working behind the scenes for a living and even they don't really understand how exactly social media and streaming works, especially since things are moving so quick and one has to change their strategy ever six months.

Last edited by Woony on Nov-10-2019 at 22:55

Old Post Nov-10-2019 22:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Firstly, I don't really understand why you care so much about whether there's a grand narrative or not.

Secondly, does it not occur to you that pop and hip-hop are more mainstream and internationally popular genres than electronic music and so are going to have more coverage, bigger albums and the remnants of traditional media still covering them in a traditional way?

Thirdly, does it not occur to you that you're focusing this thread entirely on artist albums, when electronic music has never really been about artist albums? It's about singles and it's about DJ mixes primarily. Carl Cox's Boiler Room appearance has been watched 42 million times on Youtube, which pisses all over every single electronic artist album that's ever been released. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place for your grand narrative?

> I Dreamed Of Summer [Deep & Melodic House]
> Into The Blue [Progressive]
> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]

Old Post Nov-10-2019 23:09  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

a consensus review/list would not be a bad idea. as it is it will probably be one prick saying this is the definitive best of decade-- you can't even comment anymore.

personally i can't think of any review where it lines up with my impressions of the record. one new example : RA recommends new Karenn album (its awful!!!).

it would be much better if the community was able to select IE like rotten tomatoes.

mannnn can't trust no critic

Old Post Nov-10-2019 23:09  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer

it would be much better if the community was able to select IE like rotten tomatoes.

gonna patent that

Old Post Nov-10-2019 23:10  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:

RA did that with their Top 100 DJs poll... and then they cancelled it because they didn't like the results they were getting. Dixon at Number One for eternity. This is a guy who's never released an artist album, hasn't released a single for five years, hasn't released a mix CD for four years.

> I Dreamed Of Summer [Deep & Melodic House]
> Into The Blue [Progressive]
> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]

Old Post Nov-10-2019 23:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Firstly, I don't really understand why you care so much about whether there's a grand narrative or not.

Secondly, does it not occur to you that pop and hip-hop are more mainstream and internationally popular genres than electronic music and so are going to have more coverage, bigger albums and the remnants of traditional media still covering them in a traditional way?

Thirdly, does it not occur to you that you're focusing this thread entirely on artist albums, when electronic music has never really been about artist albums? It's about singles and it's about DJ mixes primarily. Carl Cox's Boiler Room appearance has been watched 42 million times on Youtube, which pisses all over every single electronic artist album that's ever been released. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place for your grand narrative?

I didn't make this thread trying to find the grand narrative of dance music. I just thought I'd be fun to speculate on the kind of records that would probably make RA's poll (like we have in previous years). And thinking about that, I got the impression that it seems to have gotten more difficult to predict the surefire, consensus album picks that would make these kind of lists in the past, i.e. an album that's popular, influential and critically aclaimed. That albums have never been and never will be the driving force of dance music culture should be obvious, no?

Old Post Nov-10-2019 23:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

i didn't mean it like that, more like for a review, you have the RA employee and then a general audience score side by side. or since score is removed, bring back the comment feature.

for dixon, a lot of TAs seem to like him too, the one time i saw him i left early cuz he sucked whang............. not a fan of his label either (does innervisions still exist??)

Old Post Nov-11-2019 00:09  Norfolk Island
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
RA did that with their Top 100 DJs poll... and then they cancelled it because they didn't like the results they were getting. Dixon at Number One for eternity. This is a guy who's never released an artist album, hasn't released a single for five years, hasn't released a mix CD for four years.

quote:
for dixon, a lot of TAs seem to like him too, the one time i saw him i left early cuz he sucked whang............. not a fan of his label either (does innervisions still exist??)

And they cancelled the poll before Instagram really took over. I checked just for fun and Dixon doesn't even have a personal Instagram account as far as I can see and the Innervisions one only has 40k followers. Charlotte de Witte and Amelie Lens both have around one million with only a handful of generic releases to their name and nobody even knew who they were three years ago. At least Dixon has been touring on the circuit since 90s and runs a long-standing label.

I think Dixon was good up until around a decade ago but every time I've seen him in the last few years it's just been a borefest (never went for him specifically, he just happened to be on the bill).

Old Post Nov-11-2019 00:16 
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

I am not following any labels that either of those two produce on (seems for good reason) so I never heard of them. Browsed through Charlotte quickly and it sounds like a slightly heavier drumcode. Will pass on Amelia..

Usually confused as to why certain artists get popular, especially ones that are clearly crap

Old Post Nov-11-2019 01:37  Norfolk Island
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Thing about underground club music is there really isn't much more innovation to be had now. Most of it's been in a constant state of refinement, and while some stylistic trends catch on for a while or fall out of favour, everything tends to retreat back to the mean of what works and has always worked. It's more about appreciating the craftsmanship that goes into a producer's music than it becoming some beacon of lofty standards everyone will refer to decades later.

Welcome to being Jazz Music in the '90s.

(~)

Old Post Nov-11-2019 18:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

i think it's safe for me to put up my end of decade list, seeing all songs off the top of my head seem to come from the first half of the 10s. Generally speaking, i stick to songs that make me want to dance (as my criteria). the songs listed are the ones i've played the most and can play pretty much in any set, still. No particular order or ranking:

BMG & Derek Plaslaiko - The True Story of a Detroit Groove
Omar S & Ob Ignitt - Wayne County Hill Cop's
Omar S - Romancing the Stone
Floorplan - Altered Ego
Robert Hood - Omega (End Times) [song i requested to be played at my funeral]
Robert Hood - Drive (Age of Automation)
DJ Stingray - Cryptic
Mr. G - Crab Jerk [only house track i could think of]
The Third Man - Pipes at Helios Canyon [been drifting away from melodies this decade, but this song still does it for me]
PAS - Bell Blocker
PAS - Future Modular [Papa sven dropping this at island party, luke slater @ warehouse.. big 1]
PAS - Arc [Above track's sequel, ready to explode at any moment]

Remixes
Gingy & Bordello - All Day (Robert Hood Remix) [can't help but dance like a gay to this one]
Slam - Factory Music (PAS Remix) [Regis dropping this at movement @ underground stage, surrounded by concrete everywhere]

Old Post Dec-01-2019 20:51  Norfolk Island
wotyzoid
it's not house

I was never one for these lists but that John Roberts album kind of stuck with me through all these years. That came out in 2010 though, just looked it up.

Old Post Dec-02-2019 01:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > End of the decade lists
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread