Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Getting older and losing friends
Pages (16): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
The relationships are just different/separate, and I believe it should be kept that way. Don't shit where you eat, etc. Especially working with women, many of whom are still in their 20s. These young broads have gotten themselves into a lot of shit at work, simply because they bring their outside lives in. But perhaps that's just the folly of youth.

Yeah, I have bad experiences of making friends with someone at work and then falling out with them. Having to go to work with someone you don't like creates a poisonous atmosphere. Now, I'm cool with the people I work with, and I'll go out drinking with them if it's a work night out, but I'm not going to let any of them into my private life.

Work really is a social minefield. It's a strange situation where you have a group of people who are in your company more than practically anyone else in your life, and yet you don't necessarily like any of them. You've been brought together to do a sometimes stressful job, and any lurking enmity is easily exposed under pressure. It's precarious enough without bringing your personal life into the equation.

> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Old Post Jul-11-2017 22:26  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
Cvnt F^ce

My manager has curated a pretty awesome crew of staff, I must say. Many of the units at my work conduct peer interviews for new hires, which I think is awesome. Fuckin sucks when new staff join the team who clearly don't and won't ever fit - job performance wise, that is. I actually can't stand when new people come along and immediately try to inject themselves into the social aspect of the workplace, attempting to prove themselves that way, when what they should be doing is demonstrating their value through their work ethic. The social shit always comes in time.

Old Post Jul-11-2017 22:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
r5a
snake inverter

haha this thread made me smile.

you fucks are older than i am by margin of 5~10 years at least. i run into this problem NOW.

it seems like life happens, people get busy and the ones you really care about stick around. rest just seem to fall away. sure you'll make acquaintances here and there but the cores will stick (if they really are)

ive personally fallen out of a touch with a few friends but the core remains the same regardless of distance. some have moved away for years to do their masters/med school but we just pick it up where we left off

i have a couple of people i do a quarterly checkin / evening with from the old days but thats about it.

time to read this thread and see whats good

Old Post Jul-12-2017 01:01  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for r5a Click here to Send r5a a Private Message Add r5a to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
r5a
snake inverter

quote:
Ok fine, I'll speak to just your post then.

A while back we were out for Sunday breakfast, and at the next table was a young woman and much older woman. I assumed it was a grandmother/daughter relationship. We could overhear their entire conversation. The young woman was going on about her and her husband's troubles getting pregnant, and kept saying "I trust in the lord's plan for us." 'The lord' this and 'the lord' that.

At first I rolled my eyes to myself and thought "Oh brother, stupid fool..the lord ain't in control of shit."

But then I realized the relationship of these two was probably a connection through church, and I thought "How lovely these two women have a connection to share, and a community to share it in (especially the old bird)." The lord/church stuff was really inconsequential.

And I got to thinking about the erosion of community in recent times, and how neighbourly behaviour doesn't really exist in the same way it used to - people don't give much of a shit about each other or look out for each other, or take care of each other and hold each other accountable to one another. Something that I know belonging to a community like a church, especially, provides people with. I work with some nurses and doctors who all go to the same united church, and they are very involved with the community, helping others and such. I think that's lovely.

Now that we're starting a family, we've actually been considering joining a church (I was quite surprised when I mentioned the idea to my husband and he said he'd already been thinking about it himself). It's just such a nice thing to be part of, to be connected with others in the community and, as I said, to look out for others (outside of just family) and have them look out for you. The world (at least my part of the world) is only becoming more and more of a self centered "me first/fuck you" place - I think society could use social groups like church now more than ever. Especially since many churches nowadays are more progressive and not just focused on all the GOD SATAN HEAVEN HELL SIN REPENT shit.

hahaha what the FUCK BRO. church son? on everyone on this fucking board you're probably the least religious or churchgoer on here. sounds like you guys are bored AF.

im pretty hammed right now but i think you have a point to an extent with human interaction being selfish as fuck with the "people don't give much of a shit about each other or look out for each other, or take care of each other and hold each other accountable to one another." comment. capitalism and being vein is in big time.

Old Post Jul-12-2017 01:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for r5a Click here to Send r5a a Private Message Add r5a to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
Cvnt F^ce

You clearly have a reading comprehension problem. I wasn't talking about religion at all, you fucking moron. Massive fucking WHOOSH to you.

Good lord I even said "the religion/church stuff is inconsequential."

Oh well, can't help the stupid I guess.

edit: I see you said you were "hammed" when you posted your reply. No excuse!!!

Last edited by Silky Johnson on Jul-12-2017 at 14:56

Old Post Jul-12-2017 03:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

Is anyone else here a public servant?

The "making friends at work" bit is something of a moot point when you know for a fact you'll be working with your peers until you retire. Most people are sweethearts, but you just know for a fact you'll have to get over your frenemies and learn how to ignore the occasional tosser who feeds on drama, because these are the people you'll spend most of your life with, so you better get along

Old Post Jul-12-2017 04:04  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

i think i've been pretty lucky in the work context. i've made quite a few friends who i consider best mates (though i don't tend to make any other kind of friend as i'm really bad at being friendly to people i don't care about). as jack noted above, these are the people you spend a huge amount of time with so in my previously stressful role, the peeps i had around me were the only thing getting me through the day. thousands of hours plus a 'brothers in arms' effect can be fairly significant.

Old Post Jul-12-2017 07:25  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by Lira

The "making friends at work" bit is something of a moot point when you know for a fact you'll be working with your peers until you retire. Most people are sweethearts, but you just know for a fact you'll have to get over your frenemies and learn how to ignore the occasional tosser who feeds on drama, because these are the people you'll spend most of your life with, so you better get along

yes i am, and totally disagree with your unrelenting cheeriness!

Old Post Jul-12-2017 07:26  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
Cvnt F^ce

quote:
Originally posted by Lira

Ffs asshole, didn't you read my post(s)? I did say this, sort of, already. Yes I am a public servant, and I agree with you.

Old Post Jul-12-2017 12:03 
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

i'm a private slave and disagree with everything. i eat stim pax n stem sellz

Old Post Jul-12-2017 15:39  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
Cvnt F^ce

Funny you should mention stem cells; we're collecting and banking our baby's cord blood and tissue when she's born! Yay science!

Old Post Jul-12-2017 15:42 
OrangestO
–30–

quote:

Funny you should mention stem cells; we're collecting and banking our baby's cord blood and tissue when she's born! Yay science!

She? Aw

So no twins, triplets or quadruplets then, eh?

Old Post Jul-12-2017 15:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Getting older and losing friends
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (16): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread