Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > People wake up! iPod sucks!
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
kamil
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sunsnail
Thanks for all the information.

I was thinking of this one:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...isc_HiMDWalkman

I dont have much money over $200...

no line in or mic in on that one, and i dont know if its got 6band EQ (it really makes a huge difference)

Old Post Dec-06-2004 02:08  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for kamil Click here to Send kamil a Private Message Add kamil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ali92
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Earthsnail
I wanna know some opnions on a MD player from those who have them. But don't give me just positives I wanna hear some negatives too. Right now, I'm completely for mp3 players. Somebody convince me as to why MD's are better than mp3s

OK. I've messed with MD from 2000 till 2002, when my third one in two years broke down. One of them (Sony MZR-70) just stopped recording, the other (Sony MZR-500) just shuts off randomly, and the other had a battery explosion whilst charging. My remote stopped working in the MZR-70. Take in mind that I spent about 250 USD on each unit when they first came out. I was a fan of MD for a while before I got into PCs, but I started getting into live sets and having fixed time for MD of either 75 (ATRAC SP), 150 (ATRAC3 LP2), or 300 (ATRAC3 LP4) minutes per disc wasn't cutting it for me anymore. Plus, in LP4 mode, fast-forward and rewind within tracks went EXTREMELY slowly! Take into account all this was even before NetMD and since 2001, MD has improved dramaticly. It just doesn't have what I need now (economic storage and playback of native MP3s). That's why I left MD and went iRiver when I learned that they make the best MP3-CD players.

I still visit Minidisc.org and I see that MD is slowly improving I love the fact that you can finally record in Linear PCM (read: WAV!) and even reformat old regular MDs to hold double what they previously held. You can even record a little LPCM onto them. a 1-GB High MD can hold about 100 minutes of LPCM audio. Pretty nice for a small CD-sized live set or two. I heard that things are getting even better when Sony just allowed (please confirm this anyone?) upload of any recording to WAV format on the PC. Does this mean that I can record an LPCM live set straight from a mixer via optical line and transfer it directly to PC??? :-D I hope so! From what I've heard, as ATRAC is now in it's 5th or even 6th or 7th version, things probably got way better in that dept. too. The new Hi-MD units support this 'ATRAC3plus' format, which allows a bitrate between 40 & 256 kbps. I've always believed MD sounded better than MP3, even back in the plain ATRAC3 (LP2 & 4) days of 2001, when I used it for live sets, and I bet this ATRAC3plus blows MP3 out of the water now. Even if MD decided to play MP3s natively, I won't go back unless they hold about 4 GB+ per disc. I like the size and I LOVE the battery life (what? 100 h on a single AA now?), but economically, MD just doesn't do it for me when I got over 400 CDs here that have all MP3s on them.

Old Post Dec-06-2004 02:32  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for ali92 Click here to Send ali92 a Private Message Add ali92 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CynepMeH
Let me wash your Apple!

quote:
Originally posted by Solstice
Hey noob - in ipod options on itunes there is a setting "use as external disk" . You can then use it like a portable HDD. I've been doing it all year.

Oh - and BTW its all about the interface and ease of use, ipod is oh so smooth.

Noob???? did you read my post, jackass??? In my post it said you need to install host program and drivers in order to use it as an HD. Take your iPod to another Windows computer and try using it as a hard drive. The first thing windows will tell you is that it does not recognize the filesystem (unless you install drivers and iTunes application). If you don't have those installed, Windows will not recognize the iPod as a drive and you would get a message: "would you like to format the drive?". You should go ahead and click "Yes"... and then tell me all about your lovely iShit ...

lamer... pfft...

Old Post Dec-06-2004 16:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for CynepMeH Click here to Send CynepMeH a Private Message Add CynepMeH to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CynepMeH
Let me wash your Apple!

quote:
Originally posted by trancendental
I don't like the iRiver b/c you have to use their program, on the computer you installed iriver into.

Again: you don't need to install anything for iRiver. You could, if you want to - but you don't have to. I don't even know what they give you with a player, as I don't use it. I just plugged it in, my Xp sees it as a removable drive, I just drag my mp3's over (or folders full of MP3's) and I'm ready to go. I can then navigate the folders and listen to whatever track I want to. No additional software required other than standard XP.

I don't know where you're getting your info from mate....

cheers.

Old Post Dec-06-2004 16:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for CynepMeH Click here to Send CynepMeH a Private Message Add CynepMeH to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kamil
Supreme tranceaddict

Using iTunes doesnt really make things THAT difficult.

Old Post Dec-06-2004 19:13  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for kamil Click here to Send kamil a Private Message Add kamil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
getfoul
LOL Tiesto

quote:
Originally posted by CynepMeH
Noob???? did you read my post, jackass??? In my post it said you need to install host program and drivers in order to use it as an HD. Take your iPod to another Windows computer and try using it as a hard drive. The first thing windows will tell you is that it does not recognize the filesystem (unless you install drivers and iTunes application). If you don't have those installed, Windows will not recognize the iPod as a drive and you would get a message: "would you like to format the drive?". You should go ahead and click "Yes"... and then tell me all about your lovely iShit ...

lamer... pfft...

Not worth arguing. He is right about just clicking the button to "use as external drive" and I am sure you are right too from the windows stand point.

BTW iPod is multiplatform friendly, Minidisk and iRiver are not. See what's going to sell the best.

dogs and I talk like an imbecile! I wander around, "Ooo! You want
food!" I've turned into a f*cking moron.

Old Post Dec-07-2004 07:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for getfoul Click here to Send getfoul a Private Message Add getfoul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kamil
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by getfoul
Not worth arguing. He is right about just clicking the button to "use as external drive" and I am sure you are right too from the windows stand point.

BTW iPod is multiplatform friendly, Minidisk and iRiver are not. See what's going to sell the best.

*Minidisc

Also, iPod is only windows and mac "friendly" so ure FUCKED if u got linux or any other OS.

As for iRiver, im PRETTY sure that is truly "multiplatform" friendly....

Old Post Dec-07-2004 07:13  Poland
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Originally posted by beats and beeps
Its like people arguing over pioneer cdjs or denon cdjs.

Pioneer being the ipod

Denon being the iriver.

Ones on top of the other because of marketing. And thats all.

Amen.

Old Post Dec-07-2004 07:17 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
getfoul
LOL Tiesto

quote:
Originally posted by kamil
*Minidisc

Also, iPod is only windows and mac "friendly" so ure FUCKED if u got linux or any other OS.

As for iRiver, im PRETTY sure that is truly "multiplatform" friendly....
Last time i checked, iRiver wasn't mac compatable.

dogs and I talk like an imbecile! I wander around, "Ooo! You want
food!" I've turned into a f*cking moron.

Old Post Dec-07-2004 07:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for getfoul Click here to Send getfoul a Private Message Add getfoul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kamil
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by getfoul
Last time i checked, iRiver wasn't mac compatable.

They are. Check their site. Just cuz its not shown which OS the iriver is compatible with, doesnt mean OSX is immediately excluded.

Old Post Dec-07-2004 07:51  Poland
Bellie
Techno ofcourse!

Archos Gmini 400

The Gmini has a 20 GB HD and plays: MP3, WAV, Avi (Divx, Xvid)

Read a full review Here

Old Post Dec-07-2004 13:46  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Bellie Click here to Send Bellie a Private Message Add Bellie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Petrogad
David & Carr

quote:
Originally posted by Bellie
Archos Gmini 400

The Gmini has a 20 GB HD and plays: MP3, WAV, Avi (Divx, Xvid)

Read a full review Here

thats pretty sweet, but i bet the battery life = 15 mins :-/ i love the concept though. i say give it a few years and it will be pretty main stream (hint hint stock investments as soon as apple realses somthing like it)

Old Post Dec-07-2004 13:50  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Petrogad Click here to Send Petrogad a Private Message Visit Petrogad's homepage! Add Petrogad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > People wake up! iPod sucks!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread