Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Terrorism Paranoia in the US Rises With Random Checks at Boston Subway Stations
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
The Highroller
ad hoc and ad lib

Terrorism Paranoia in the US Rises With Random Checks at Boston Subway Stations

Report: Boston transit system to search train riders

BOSTON (AP) -- Transit police will begin randomly stopping riders on Boston's subways and commuter trains next month to search their bags and packages, a procedure transportation officials say was largely prompted by the March 11 train bombings in Spain.

The new policy is set to be in place for July's Democratic National Convention, MBTA Police Chief Joseph Carter told The Boston Globe for a story in Tuesday editions. It will include explosive-sniffing dogs and all 247 uniformed Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority police officers, he said.

"I have no trepidation about being first (in the nation with the policy)," Carter said. "I don't want to be the first to do an interview about having a serious incident that may have some terrorist indications to it. ... We want to do this to encourage people to feel safe on the MBTA, to utilize public transportation."

Carter said MBTA has not announced the new policy formally because officials still are working out the details on how to balance security and privacy concerns.

Last month, MBTA police announced the entire force has been receiving counterterrorism training that includes spotting suspicious behavior. MBTA police already can request to see the identification of passengers they perceive to be acting suspiciously.

Last month, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration unveiled a pilot program to screen the bags of all passengers at a single Maryland Rail Commuter station in suburban New Carrollton.

MBTA Deputy Police Chief John Martino, who is overseeing the development and implementation of the search policy, said police, sometimes accompanied by explosive-sniffing dogs, will randomly pick out riders for inspection throughout the transit system daily. He said the number of inspections would increase dramatically during the convention July 26-29.

Carol Rose, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, said that while she understands the need for security, the MBTA plan is deeply flawed and may violate the U.S. Constitution's ban on unreasonable search and seizure.

"The Fourth Amendment doesn't stop at your wrist when you carry a briefcase; it includes your bag," Rose said. "It either has to be truly random, or it has to have a root in a reasonable basis of suspicion."

The March terror bombings in Madrid, Spain, killed 191 people and were blamed on Islamic militants with possible links to al-Qaeda.

Another way "terrorism" is used as an excuse to further invade the citizens' privacy.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 20:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for The Highroller Click here to Send The Highroller a Private Message Add The Highroller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starsearcher
DigitalPunk on Flight643

quote:
Another way "terrorism" is used as an excuse to further invade the citizens' privacy.

I guess some people need to physically BLOW UP IN FRONT OF YOU so that you will realize that it's not a joke...

Mind you I haven't read the full article so I don't know what exactly they do, but I do know that i'm sick of people pretending it's a perfect world and taking their own security for granted

Old Post Jun-08-2004 20:44  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for starsearcher Click here to Send starsearcher a Private Message Visit starsearcher's homepage! Add starsearcher to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
St_Andrew
I <3 NYC

Re: Terrorism Paranoia in the US Rises With Random Checks at Boston Subway Stations

quote:
Originally posted by The Highroller

hehe, yeah sure, the ultimate goal of society is to invade as much privacy as possible

Old Post Jun-08-2004 20:49  Europe
Click Here to See the Profile for St_Andrew Click here to Send St_Andrew a Private Message Visit St_Andrew's homepage! Add St_Andrew to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
The Highroller
ad hoc and ad lib

starsearcher: how about reading the article before making comments ?

they're randomly searching people's bags in the subway station. how would you like if you were at yonge & bloor station and a transit officer asked to search your bag? how would you like to be afraid of what you had on you at all times for fear of being randomly searched?

and St_Andrew, i don't know what you were reading, but i wasn't implying that at all.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 20:54 
Click Here to See the Profile for The Highroller Click here to Send The Highroller a Private Message Add The Highroller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starsearcher
DigitalPunk on Flight643

quote:
starsearcher: how about reading the article before making comments ?

they're randomly searching people's bags in the subway station. how would you like if you were at yonge & bloor station and a transit officer asked to search your bag? how would you like to be afraid of what you had on you at all times for fear of being randomly searched?

and St_Andrew, i don't know what you were reading, but i wasn't implying that at all.

For your information I grew up in Israel where you can't walk in into any building or establishment without having your bag or belongings searched -- welcome to the new reality Mr. Highroller...

I'd rather have them searched and be alive than having some mofo terrorist blow one next to me thank you ver much...
It's the same as going to the guvernment...do i like having my balls felt? Do i like having someone feel my shoe sole? No but I'd rather have that than hearing a gunshot in the club...or a knife in my back cause of some idiot...

Old Post Jun-08-2004 20:58  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for starsearcher Click here to Send starsearcher a Private Message Visit starsearcher's homepage! Add starsearcher to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
St_Andrew
I <3 NYC

quote:

i didn't read the article either, and i agree that US is taking this to the extreame many times. but your comment is hard to interpret in any other way than that "the government does this for fun", "they want to do this", "now when they have terror they have a good excuse to finally do it without pissing people of too much" =)

Old Post Jun-08-2004 21:01  Europe
Click Here to See the Profile for St_Andrew Click here to Send St_Andrew a Private Message Visit St_Andrew's homepage! Add St_Andrew to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starsearcher
DigitalPunk on Flight643

I guess you have to live through it to get it...for some people it's just hard to "understand"...It seems "unimaginable"...well 9/11 was "unimaginable" too...well guess what...

Old Post Jun-08-2004 21:03  Israel
The Highroller
ad hoc and ad lib

st_andrew, of course the government wants to do it. it makes their jobs a lot easier. you keep telling yourself that the US has no interest in involving themselves in people's personal lives

starsearcher: you can live your life how you want to. if you feel safer being searched before going into any building, then fine. but for me, i'd rather not. taking measures like this is letting them win. it's showing them that we are SCARED of them, and that we will change our way of living because of them.

what's next? random searches of people's houses to find bombs? i'm sorry but i like my privacy.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 21:15 
malek
drinks your milkshake!

quote:
[i][b]can live your life how you want to. if you feel safer being searched before going into any building, then fine. but for me, i'd rather not. taking measures like this is letting them win. it's showing them that we are SCARED of them, and that we will change our way of living because of them.

what's next? random searches of people's houses to find bombs? i'm sorry but i like my privacy.

word.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 21:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for malek Click here to Send malek a Private Message Visit malek's homepage! Add malek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Crazy Serb
.tw1sted.mothe®.fu©ker.

Well, those guys are really pushing it with this fear factor and everything...

on the similar note, I can't wait for the release of Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 in a few weeks.

Keep it real, and stay single, always mingle...

Old Post Jun-08-2004 21:37 
Click Here to See the Profile for Crazy Serb Click here to Send Crazy Serb a Private Message Visit Crazy Serb's homepage! Add Crazy Serb to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
k0nk
Supreme tranceaddict

Hello police state.

If I was a citizen there, I would refuse to carry identification.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 22:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for k0nk Click here to Send k0nk a Private Message Visit k0nk's homepage! Add k0nk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
disko-kandi
Supreme tranceaddict

as if searching in a lil old ladie's purse is going to deter acts of terrorism!! what a joke!! HAHAHA!! so typical ... another moronic decision by the monkey-face of a president! -and just before the elections. 'smooth move'. LOOOL!!!

anyways, if they want to attack the US they will do it in the most unimaginable ways, especially if it's made public what measures are being taken. the terrorists will sneak up and bite them in the ass when and where they least expect it! ... what if they use biological or chemical weapons or, just as an example, poison the US' drinking water? what are they gonna do then? are they prepared for something like that? would we be or any country? ... the problem lies a lot deeper and these 'preventative measures' won't change anything! ... once again, an act to 'pull the wool over the general population's eyes'.

oh yea ...and i'd like my privacy as well. thank you very much! we're not in a friggin police state!

Last edited by disko-kandi on Jun-08-2004 at 22:53

Old Post Jun-08-2004 22:44  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for disko-kandi Click here to Send disko-kandi a Private Message Add disko-kandi to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Terrorism Paranoia in the US Rises With Random Checks at Boston Subway Stations
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread