Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Charlotte de witte
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

Charlotte de witte

I assume everyone here will shit on her now that she's playing mainstage Tomorrowland

But I've heard her several times and its been hit & miss(same with her mixes)

Once at a club, which was pure fire and a steady variation of different Techno tracks and a lot of acid. Another at a festival and it was all relentless pounding that got a little bland after 30 mins.

Is she the new Queen of Techno or just a pretty business techno face?

Old Post Aug-27-2019 22:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TOR
Traveller

Re: Charlotte de witte

quote:
Originally posted by MR STROKE

I would say the latter.

She does tend to close off her sets on a more tranzy note these days. Just recently, she dropped Fire & Ice - Lost Emotions (the original version from 1998) and Extreme Trax - Final Fantasy. But only because it is trendy to do so.

Old Post Aug-27-2019 22:37  Europe
Click Here to See the Profile for TOR Click here to Send TOR a Private Message Add TOR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:
Once at a club, which was pure fire and a steady variation of different Techno tracks and a lot of acid. Another at a festival and it was all relentless pounding that got a little bland after 30 mins.

Yeah but that's like, standard criticism for most touring DJs, right? That they're better in smaller venues and shittier at festivals?

quote:
Is she the new Queen of Techno...

Why does techno need a king/queen?

quote:
... or just a pretty business techno face?

Rather than finding and sharing a mix of hers that you liked, the best you could do was post a picture of her. That kinda answers your own question.

Old Post Aug-28-2019 01:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Supreme tranceaddict

I'd hit it...

Old Post Aug-28-2019 09:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Hides in Shadow Click here to Send Hides in Shadow a Private Message Add Hides in Shadow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I saw her play for about ten minutes in a tiny club in Amsterdam during ADE and she was playing nice textured '90s tech house. I had to leave but I was thinking she was a modern day Terry Lee Brown Jr. Tried a few sets at home and it was straight business techno.

So yeah. If you see her in a really small club she can play some decent stuff, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]
> Falling Leaves [Deep & Melodic]
> All Night Long: 2018 [Open To Close Set]

Old Post Aug-28-2019 11:04  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

What I find absurd is that two or three years ago, pretty much nobody had heard of her and now she's suddenly literally the most well known techno DJ on the planet (above legends and people that spent 10 or 20 years grinding the DJ circuit) and one of the top "underground" headliners. I have heard someone say that her management put tens of thousands of dollars into marketing her on social media because they sensed the opportunity. That's just about the only way I can explain her meteoric rise. Social media just doesn't push people that way organically.

What she's playing is not terrible in the way commercial trance is terrible but it's just very, very generic and very, very soulless and very, very boring. "Business techno" is an apt description.

Old Post Aug-28-2019 15:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I saw a FB post by Patrice Baumel (who was on before her at ADE, funnily enough) saying something like "If you ever see a DJ who is far bigger than their output would suggest, it's almost certainly down to their management."

I don't think there's any doubt there's a lot of money behind her, but that is in part because there is a huge market in 2019 for this kind of boring arena techno. It's quite amusing to watch the most purist of all electronic genres finally get watered down as all the others have at some point.

EDIT: A quick Google suggests she is represented by WME Entertainment, who also represent the Miss Universe competition and the NFL. Business techno indeed.

> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]
> Falling Leaves [Deep & Melodic]
> All Night Long: 2018 [Open To Close Set]

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Aug-28-2019 at 15:49

Old Post Aug-28-2019 15:42  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Charlotte de witte

quote:
Originally posted by idoru

Rather than finding and sharing a mix of hers that you liked, the best you could do was post a picture of her. That kinda answers your own question.

Charlotte de Witte - Essential Mix 2018-02-10
https://soundcloud.com/charlottedew...-mix-2018-02-10

Old Post Aug-28-2019 16:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mebot
Maverick

One of the best sets I saw live at EDC 2019 this year (aside from Dieselboy's early set at BassPod, but I digress)

Charlotte de Witte's Saturday night set at Neon Garden was sexy evil dark lovely industrial techno that I didn't know I needed in my life.

Amelie Lens on par though...

Old Post Aug-31-2019 04:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for Mebot Click here to Send Mebot a Private Message Add Mebot to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kolakao
tranceaddict

quote:

I assume everyone here will shit on her now that she's playing mainstage Tomorrowland

But I've heard her several times and its been hit & miss(same with her mixes)

it will be always hit or miss, since she is female

Old Post Sep-01-2019 11:28  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for kolakao Click here to Send kolakao a Private Message Add kolakao to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djkopernikus
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
What I find absurd is that two or three years ago, pretty much nobody had heard of her and now she's suddenly literally the most well known techno DJ on the planet (above legends and people that spent 10 or 20 years grinding the DJ circuit) and one of the top "underground" headliners. I have heard someone say that her management put tens of thousands of dollars into marketing her on social media because they sensed the opportunity. That's just about the only way I can explain her meteoric rise. Social media just doesn't push people that way organically.

What she's playing is not terrible in the way commercial trance is terrible but it's just very, very generic and very, very soulless and very, very boring. "Business techno" is an apt description.

That's my thoughts also. Sets i've heard from YouTube are sooo generic but not surprising because she has to stay within that style and bpm. If she change her generic style, what would happen? It's interesting to see how long this "business techno" will stay at its peak - at some point people get bored?

Old Post Sep-01-2019 15:01  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for djkopernikus Click here to Send djkopernikus a Private Message Add djkopernikus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
EDIT: A quick Google suggests she is represented by WME Entertainment, who also represent the Miss Universe competition and the NFL. Business techno indeed.

lol, I didn't know that, that's hilarious.

I'm not sure where exactly the techno boom came from, though. Techno was doing well a couple of years ago but not this well. I do think that social media marketing has probably contributed significantly, it's not just catering to demand but also creating demand.

Old Post Sep-02-2019 14:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Charlotte de witte
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread