Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Will Sasha and John Digweed
Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
LoveHate

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Huh? I'm seeing him in London next month. He's been playing in Miami all last week as part of the Conference, he's doing an off-Sonar event in Barcelona this summer for the first time, he's a regular at Amsterdam's DGTL festival, he plays all over the world and has just brought out a new Balance CD...

ah yes i should of just did a google search, he's been playing quite a bit all over the world this year, i guess to support that balance cd i totally forgot about.

i just didn't think clubs were booking guys like him anymore because you don't really see em in the media much , and their sound isn't what you would call "in" right now by most peoples standards...plus they some old geezers

Old Post Mar-30-2017 22:37  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

This is true. Progressive isn't really covered by the dance press any more, but it retains a worldwide following, often in the less obvious places like India, South America, Israel, Australia. Ironically, it's more of a "global underground" now than it ever was before.

> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]
> Falling Leaves [Deep & Melodic]
> All Night Long: 2018 [Open To Close Set]

Old Post Mar-30-2017 23:16  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
what ever happened to Hernán Cattáneo ? i was just listening back to his Renaissance cd and thinking wow this sounds fresh as hell today ..

a lot of those progressive super stars kind of faded out during the edm craze.

great Podcast if you still enjoy that early 2000's prog sound

Cattaneo still tours a lot, even in the US where that sound has somewhat died. I guess crusty old men like myself still enjoy that music

Old Post Mar-31-2017 17:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

Cattaneo played here at Output 2 weeks ago, and Blueshift from TA was playing in the other room. Would have loved to have gone but my friend's birthday was that night.

Deep, Tech House Mix - 2016

Sunday Deep House Mix - 2016 *NEW*
8 Hour Marathon Mix
All My Mixes!

Old Post Apr-03-2017 15:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

Sasha & Digweed live from ULTRA 2017
(absolute Shit recorded from a cell phone quality)

https://soundcloud.com/kyle-dowd-1/...l-2017-full-set

Old Post Apr-03-2017 22:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

Anyone here seen them together yet? Im going to DC to see them at the echostage in early August. I have heard they are really good live together now. Much better than solo at this point. Could just be the crowds are way more pumped but that is the rumor ive heard.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Jul-24-2017 00:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

As I predicted quite a few pages back, they're finally doing a night at The Warehouse Project. Unfortunately, it sold out almost immediately after being announced, so there goes any chances of seeing them in my backyard.

Really though, there's little motivating me to see them beyond nostalgia. I don't like what either of them are doing these days. You get the odd decent set but mostly it's deeply average. There are better tech house DJs and there are better progressive DJs.

Old Post Jul-24-2017 22:02  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

quote:
As I predicted quite a few pages back, they're finally doing a night at The Warehouse Project. Unfortunately, it sold out almost immediately after being announced, so there goes any chances of seeing them in my backyard.

Really though, there's little motivating me to see them beyond nostalgia. I don't like what either of them are doing these days. You get the odd decent set but mostly it's deeply average. There are better tech house DJs and there are better progressive DJs.

Generally agree with this sentiment. That being said, I think Sasha has been much better the last couple of years than he was for the preceding 10. Digweed has been boring to be honest. Still excited to see them together live since I think the amped up crowd can bring out a better set out of them.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Jul-24-2017 22:24  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

So it looks like I will finally be seeing them together, and it is a WHP event after all (although not part of the main season). They're playing the Albert Hall in Manchester on Easter weekend as a one-off.

While I am generally of the opinion they're both lacklustre these days for different reasons, whenever I've seen clips of them playing together the music always sounds great. A set with the balls of Digweed and the prettiness of Sasha would be the perfect meeting point. Here's hoping.

Old Post Feb-15-2019 11:06  England
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I have to agree that either of them haven't really done anything of note DJ set wise for several years...

....but there is something that can happen when they get together which is nothing short magic. I'm not sure if they go back to their roots or it's a IDGAF mentality and play whatever they like (not what they "should" be playing in terms of current tastes). I know sasha said he sometimes plays best when he's dog tired or somewhat hammered becuase he stops giving so much of a shit and just lets it happen.

Digweed has never been that type but but I've witnessed enough moments of pure class (albeit most of them 10+ years ago) to know that he can produce sets that make your hairs stand on end.

It's gonna be a case of either the sort of night that you tell your grandkids about, or rather deep disappointment.

I'm jelly either way.

I still may get my chance at the end of march - this lineup is the stuff of literal legends:

Old Post Feb-15-2019 19:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Oh, I've seen both of them be boring enough times to be braced for that possibility.

I suspect that playing together could prevent them from disappearing too far up their respective arseholes. Whenever you play B2B with someone you're tempering your natural instincts and thinking about how you can meet the other person somewhere in the middle. "I won't play that record because he won't be able to follow it" style sentiments. And also, if they swap over on the decks regularly it stops either of them playing too far in one direction. Last time I saw Digweed he was great for half his set, and then just played monotonous techno for the second half, never lifting it when you'd expect him to. Can't do that if he's got to hand the reigns over every 20 minutes.

Anyway, I will post a lengthy review, whether it turns out to be good or bad. I'm also seeing Hernan Cattaneo B2B with Nick Warren in Liverpool in the summer, who are such a silky B2B combo these days that they're almost the new benchmark.

Old Post Feb-15-2019 23:03  England
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
I suspect that playing together could prevent them from disappearing too far up their respective arseholes. Whenever you play B2B with someone you're tempering your natural instincts and thinking about how you can meet the other person somewhere in the middle. "I won't play that record because he won't be able to follow it" style sentiments. And also, if they swap over on the decks regularly it stops either of them playing too far in one direction. Last time I saw Digweed he was great for half his set, and then just played monotonous techno for the second half, never lifting it when you'd expect him to. Can't do that if he's got to hand the reigns over every 20 minutes.

If my experience of seeing them recently is anything to go by, I think you'll find that they play a lot of tracks that they wouldn't normally play on their own. I remember feeling that they probably get nostalgic playing together and go to a lot of tracks that were inspired by their golden era. It was also really difficult to tell who was playing and who was wasn't. They were both really active on the equipment the entire set and at no time did I ever think "Oh that's a Sasha melodic track" or "Damn that's a Digweed monster". It really does feel like they've put some effort into making this a DJing act rather than a B2B one which is interesting to some extent.

I saw videos making the rounds of their warehouse show in Amsterdam all over social media. Some stuff looked really good like this

and before anyone asks

Old Post Feb-22-2019 23:15  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Will Sasha and John Digweed
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread