Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > this is what u make producing trance
Pages (21): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Excess
Somewhere, Out There

quote:
Originally posted by Trancelover03591
Alter Ego gets really good airplay on 'A State Of Trance'.

really good airplay on all the podcasts really, just depends on what type of track it is. AE is and has been doing quite well in terms of support from DJs

Old Post Jul-12-2012 00:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for Excess Click here to Send Excess a Private Message Visit Excess's homepage! Add Excess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Glad to hear AE is not going under, but who the fuck are the people posting in this thread?

Again, it slightly annoys me that certain, well established people on post on here when they want to set something straight or see something that pertains to them but never post otherwise (like the the times when certain DJ's were accusing of playing premixed tracks and instantly certain big name DJ posts to defend his name although never posted anything of any use before or since).

If you guys lurk on here and can spot a thread within just hours of you/your property property being mentioned, then maybe help these forums and contribute from time to time?

Old Post Jul-12-2012 00:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Now that they've had a taste of success, they no longer have time or patience to mix with the unwashed.

Old Post Jul-12-2012 01:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Deillon
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Yes, god forbid that a successful trance label get airplay on popular trance broadcasts.

Good tracks should deserve a spot, I wish people would enjoy the music instead of the brand behind it.

Old Post Jul-12-2012 08:01  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Deillon Click here to Send Deillon a Private Message Add Deillon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

Any music enthusiast that cares enough about the music knows about (and appreciates) the labels behind it. That's just the way it works.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Jul-12-2012 09:00  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
i find it incredible that the mastering charges are recouped from the artist royalty. Saw this twice on here in the last week. More so that artists actually put up with it or sign a contract that would not state explicitly that this is not something you can recoup. Boggles my mind why people would even bother with a label that even has such low selling people on their roster. I mean it is evident they don't really give a fuck or think you are worth a fuck.

I think this is what happens when you have billion bedroom producers with the attitude of "I just want to get released no matter what" and then you end up with a billion digital labels that don't sell any tracks and don't care about their artists.

Old Post Jul-12-2012 11:52 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
i find it incredible that the mastering charges are recouped from the artist royalty. Saw this twice on here in the last week. More so that artists actually put up with it or sign a contract that would not state explicitly that this is not something you can recoup. Boggles my mind why people would even bother with a label that even has such low selling people on their roster. I mean it is evident they don't really give a fuck or think you are worth a fuck.

It get's even better:
Royalties - Artist is entitled to 50% of net profit on release.

It always makes me laugh. And then they add 'costs' to the list.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Jul-12-2012 11:58  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PassiePassion
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
It get's even better:
Royalties - Artist is entitled to 50% of net profit on release.

It always makes me laugh. And then they add 'costs' to the list.

There are some good labels out there but not many.
I don't know how good the music sounds of the topic poster.
But i hear that most producers are getting a lot less than 1000 a year.
So this label is not that bad !
They at least know how to promote a product ,most net labels don't.

But yep it's a lil disappointing that they charge for the mastering.
Makes me wonder if other labels do that too.
I have mastered some songs for free ,just to help em.
Hope they didn't charge the artist for that hahahahaha

I think it should be part of a label's service to master the trax they release.
The label wants a certain sound as that gives them their good name.
So that last loudness maximizing and mastering eq work ensures they sell quality.
If i owned a label then i would want to do the final master.
That way all released productions have the labels signature ,the mastering.
But that would be in a perfect world where the label owner is a musician him-her self.
Nowadays anyone can start a net label.
And if they know how to promote their product then they get power.
The more power they get the less they do to help the artist.
Cos then their job becomes selling a product not improving it.

So most help you can expect from small labels.
But they have no selling power.

I even quit working with labels cos i got disabled for work 5 years ago.
So now i get sick pay and anything i earn gets taken from my sick pay.
With 1100 euro a month sick pay i need to get more than that to profit.
And you'll only get those amounts if you perform [live]
Or when you get a small hit.
So now i just create whatever i want and not build trax that suit their needs.
Creating music got a lot less stressful and gives me a lot more fun.

If you really want to be successful
1] Become a DJ next to being a musician.
Then you can promote your own songs by playing your music in your set.
Labels love that as you sell yourself that way.
Or be friends with a known dj who is willing to play your songs.

If you don't do the above then no one will hear your music.
So then you could have superb quality songs ,but get nowhere.
Not every big named producer his trax are top.
But they all sell cos those known guys have a name.

Nowadays it's all about promotion ,promotion.
Embed on facebook and anywhere you can to get some fans.
Ones you get high numbers of views then small labels might even contact you.
WHY ,because then they want you as you can generate listeners
Not only for you but then they want you to link them too.
So then your useful to that label.

It's not only about the music you create these days ,but about popularity.
We want the label to hype us ,but best do as much as you can yourself.
Thats why looking at your contract is so important.
If you only get 50% of net income and they do nothing to hype you.
Then your just giving them a chance to earn a buck.
And in that case you might as well start your own label.

The label mentioned in the topic has airplay.
Bad that they ad cost for mastering without the artist knowing in advance.
But that is a thing you can talk about and change in the contract.
They do have promotional power ,So it ain't all that bad
To take the negative thoughts away

PS

I keep my fingers crossed for you guys.
Hope the new owner has the same friends politics.
Cos if the Radio station is not friends with the new owner ,airplay is gone.
The former owner had those contacts to get airplay.
Doesn't automatically say they keep airplay if the owner changes.
Many times airplay is given as a favour and you need to be friends to get that favour

Tutors: http://www.freewebs.com/websoundtutors/index.htm

Last edited by PassiePassion on Jul-12-2012 at 13:45

Old Post Jul-12-2012 13:31  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for PassiePassion Click here to Send PassiePassion a Private Message Visit PassiePassion's homepage! Add PassiePassion to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancedanne
Supreme tranceaddict

Im curious to know how much Timewave (Mistique Music) makes from his music. Anyone who knows? That guy deserves every penny!

Old Post Jul-12-2012 14:06  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for trancedanne Click here to Send trancedanne a Private Message Add trancedanne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by PassiePassion

I even quit working with labels cos i got disabled for work 5 years ago.
So now i get sick pay and anything i earn gets taken from my sick pay.
With 1100 euro a month sick pay i need to get more than that to profit.
And you'll only get those amounts if you perform [live]
Or when you get a small hit.
So now i just create whatever i want and not build trax that suit their needs.
Creating music got a lot less stressful and gives me a lot more fun.

not to pry into your personal life but it is kinda fucked that you get sick pay for 5 years. I mean if you are that sick, you should be dying ? I don't know. Maybe you have restless leg syndrome. The fact that you can make music tells me you aren't broken upstairs. I'm all for fucking the government but either you call it lazy pay(welfare), or retard pay(disability). Own up to it. I sort of thinking someone on disability who doesn't actually have a contract or make money with music is not really in a place to give career advice. But ya, get a job you fucking hippy.

Old Post Jul-12-2012 14:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

quote:
Originally posted by Deillon
Good tracks should deserve a spot, I wish people would enjoy the music instead of the brand behind it.

This is a far cry from "wrong on many levels" when someone simply acknowledges that AE tracks get a lot of airplay on ASOT.

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
Any music enthusiast that cares enough about the music knows about (and appreciates) the labels behind it. That's just the way it works.

Exactly. And, any producer who cares enough about the quality of his/her work will strive to be on the labels that consistently release quality tracks and have a higher chance of being played on the likes of ASOT. And, just as a good artist is acknowledged for his/her work, a good label gets noticed for supporting those artists. When a label such as AE has a track record of consistently finding talent and releasing quality tracks, they should (and will) be acknowledged for that. That's also the way it works.

edit: for the record, I don't count myself among the talented trance artists that I'm referring to above. As I mentioned earlier, I did sign with AE and have a song being released on an upcoming compilation, but it is not trance/EDM.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Last edited by cryophonik on Jul-12-2012 at 14:58

Old Post Jul-12-2012 14:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

quote:
Originally posted by PassiePassion
Bad that they ad cost for mastering without the artist knowing in advance.
But that is a thing you can talk about and change in the contract.

What makes you think that Mikka didn't know about the mastering charges in advance? He's been around a long time and has some pretty big releases, so I doubt that he signed over his tracks without understanding all the provisions of the contract. Besides, in my limited experience with AE, they aren't the sort of label who tries to screw over the artist. Quite the contrary, actually. They have been very clear and responsive.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Jul-12-2012 15:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > this is what u make producing trance
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (21): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID recent track, played often on Etn.fm & Di.fm [2006] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackInterstate - I Found U [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread