Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Women-only gym hours stir debate at Harvard
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Cro_Addict
Shit 'N Piss

Women-only gym hours stir debate at Harvard

quote:
BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- Harvard University has banned men from one of its gyms for a few hours a week, a move to accommodate Muslim women who, for religious and cultural reasons, cannot exercise comfortably in their presence.

The new policy is posted at the entrance to Harvard University's Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Center.

The policy is already unpopular with many on campus, however, including some women who consider it sexist.

"I think that it's incorrect in a college setting to institute a policy in which half of the campus gets wronged or denied a resource that's supposed to be for everyone," said student Lucy Caldwell, who also wrote a column in The Harvard Crimson newspaper critical of the new hours.

Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

The trial policy went into effect February 4, about a month after a group of six Muslim women, with the support of the Harvard College Women's Center, asked the university for the special hours, spokesman Robert Mitchell said.

"We get special requests from religious groups all the time and we try to honor them whenever possible," he said, noting that the school has designated spaces for Muslim and Hindu students to pray.

No men are allowed in the gym between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Mondays, and between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even the staff during those times is all women.

The special hours allow the Muslim women, who adhere to traditional dress codes by covering their hair and most of their skin while in public, to dress more appropriately for exercising, said Susan Marine, director of the women's center.

"It's a pretty big breach of their moral and religious code for a man to see them with their hair uncovered and it's just not possible for them to be in a mixed environment," she said.

When student Kareem Shuman showed up to work out at the gym on Monday morning, he was turned away but didn't mind.

"Knowing it was requested by women of my faith -- it's very understandable to me," said Shuman, 21, who figured he'd just come back later for his workout.

Other men find the new hours inconvenient. Nick Wells, a junior who wrote an opinion piece in the Crimson criticizing the policy, suggested setting aside one room for women.

"It's not that I am opposed to the idea of helping people in religious groups or women in general, but I just think Harvard is not being fair to people like me who live (near the gym)," Wells said in an interview.

The policy only applies to one gym, a facility mainly used for intramurals. Because of its location at the edge of campus, it is the university's least used gym, Mitchell said.

The women-only hours are of minimal inconvenience because they are just six out of the 70 hours a week the gym is open, Marine said.

"Harvard has a moral and ethical responsibility to make sure our students can stay healthy," she said.

An Associated Press reporter who went to the gym Monday did not see any Muslim women entering. Efforts to reach some of the women who requested the policy through the Women's Center were unsuccessful.

The policy will be reviewed at the end of the semester, Mitchell said.

Kent Blumenthal, executive director of the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association, which has 660 member colleges and universities nationwide, said he could not think of any other institution with a similar policy.

"It seems in some ways contrary to the purpose of campus recreational programs, which is all about access," he said.

Harvard's policy is no different from commercial gyms that cater partially or even exclusively to women, said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"The Muslim bashers portray it as the world coming to end, but if women have a couple hours a week to work out in private, I don't see it as a major issue," he said.

SOURCE

I am all for understanding and being considerate of others religon/beliefs. But COME ON!

Old Post Mar-10-2008 22:56  Cuba
Click Here to See the Profile for Cro_Addict Click here to Send Cro_Addict a Private Message Add Cro_Addict to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced
ƒ¶ƒåƒÓƒÛƒnƒéƒßƒåƒnƒÚƒÕƒÞƒ

I knew nothing good could come from letting women vote

I think I will ask my gym for hours for only white fat males over 30....it only seems fair.

Last edited by Moral Hazard on Apr-26-2011 at 07:48

Old Post Mar-10-2008 23:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ChemEnhanced Click here to Send ChemEnhanced a Private Message Add ChemEnhanced to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Yohan
Champion of Deep&Nu-disco

What's the big deal about this?

Originally posted by chinamon
not true. i say "ugh"
but i am a tranny.

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
lol colour me retarded

Old Post Mar-10-2008 23:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Yohan Click here to Send Yohan a Private Message Add Yohan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Originally posted by Yohan

if they had a time slot only for white people to work out...imagine the up roar.

Old Post Mar-10-2008 23:37  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for ChemEnhanced Click here to Send ChemEnhanced a Private Message Add ChemEnhanced to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cro_Addict
Shit 'N Piss

quote:
Originally posted by Yohan

Ok lets see.

Me and 5 of my friends are gonna go to the university campus and ask them to give us private gym time, when only males can use it.

I am sure that will work.

Old Post Mar-10-2008 23:39  Cuba
Click Here to See the Profile for Cro_Addict Click here to Send Cro_Addict a Private Message Add Cro_Addict to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Intangible
*FACEPALM*

I read about this at work today... Harvad has 3 large fitness facilities and 12 student residences with workout facilities. This gym is the smallest out of the three large facilities and its only closed to men 6 out of 70 hours... this is hardly any kind of inconvenience. Universities already accommidate student's religous needs by entitling them to their religous holidays and rescheduling their exams when it conflicts with religious observance.
I hope that this new policy will encourage more muslim women to use the facilities. Although only 6 complained, this will benefit many women. Additionally many non-muslim women who do not feel comfortable working out in front of men will be able to enjoy these hours.

Everyone should have the opportunity to live a healthy lifestyle. And for the men that are "inconvenienced" for 6 hours a week... they need to shut the fuck up.

Old Post Mar-10-2008 23:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Intangible Click here to Send Intangible a Private Message Visit Intangible's homepage! Add Intangible to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
devnull
Supreme tranceaddict

Stupid religion crap

Quote:
"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

ermmm its called majority rule. If you cant fit, find a place that fits you. Dont make the world revolve around you.

Old Post Mar-10-2008 23:59  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for devnull Add devnull to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cro_Addict
Shit 'N Piss

quote:
Originally posted by Intangible
I read about this at work today... Harvad has 3 large fitness facilities and 12 student residences with workout facilities. This gym is the smallest out of the three large facilities and its only closed to men 6 out of 70 hours... this is hardly any kind of inconvenience. Universities already accommidate student's religous needs by entitling them to their religous holidays and rescheduling their exams when it conflicts with religious observance.
I hope that this new policy will encourage more muslim women to use the facilities. Although only 6 complained, this will benefit many women. Additionally many non-muslim women who do not feel comfortable working out in front of men will be able to enjoy these hours.

Everyone should have the opportunity to live a healthy lifestyle. And for the men that are "inconvenienced" for 6 hours a week... they need to shut the fuck up.

Size of the gym or how many people this inconveniences is not the point.

Plainly put this is discriminatory.

Old Post Mar-11-2008 00:04  Cuba
ChemEnhanced

quote:
Originally posted by Cro_Addict
Size of the gym or how many people this inconveniences is not the point.

Plainly put this is discriminatory.

its not discriminatory if it affects men or caucasians....these are the only groups that are affraid to ask for something....we have been trained to give in to minority groups.

Old Post Mar-11-2008 00:09  Canada
Intangible
*FACEPALM*

Ok by defination this is discrimination. But it results in a greater good. IMO.

Muslim women have had their fair share of discrimination against them. I think its nice that they are getting a break.

And why does everything have to be about discrimination? Why cant we just be happy that some people can actually accommidate for others (a trait humans rarely have these days)?

Old Post Mar-11-2008 00:18  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Intangible Click here to Send Intangible a Private Message Visit Intangible's homepage! Add Intangible to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
afterhrsgurl
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by ChemEnhanced
its not discriminatory if it affects men or caucasians....

lol

i think they should set aside like another separate gym room for them..that way everyone can work out whenever they want at the regular gym

Old Post Mar-11-2008 00:19  Europe
Click Here to See the Profile for afterhrsgurl Click here to Send afterhrsgurl a Private Message Add afterhrsgurl to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cro_Addict
Shit 'N Piss

quote:
Originally posted by Intangible
Ok by defination this is discrimination. But it results in a greater good. IMO.

Muslim women have had their fair share of discrimination against them. I think its nice that they are getting a break.

And why does everything have to be about discrimination? Why cant we just be happy that some people can actually accommidate for others (a trait humans rarely have these days)?

The men here are paying for the gym just like the women are, why should they be denied service? This was not made to be women's gym only, which exist so they can take their business there.

We are talking about a facility that is being closed to a group of students it would otherwise be open to based solely on gender and religion.

Old Post Mar-11-2008 00:23  Cuba

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Women-only gym hours stir debate at Harvard
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlease ID this amazing tune!!! I need it so much! [2002] [18]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackM.O.F - Losing My Religion [2015]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread