Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > the 112th chapter of our friday threads
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Swamper
Webmonstah

Carl Cox for my bday tonight and then various shenanigans tomorrow.

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Jun-16-2017 19:24  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Big one tonight. It's my birthday, and a whole bunch of us are off to see Andrew Weatherall lay down six hours of slow motion grooves. The weather forecast for the weekend is scorching, which should make tomorrow easier to bear, and then I'm flying to Poland on Monday morning for a week in the mountains.

Happy Birthday! (+ very jelly. Whatever Weatherall plays tonight, us muppets will be discovering in about 6 months to 2 years time).

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

Carl Cox for my bday tonight

Cox for your birthday? you sound like Jenny

Still extremely Jelly. Review please.

Old Post Jun-16-2017 20:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

Ended up at the cabin last night, chilling to some beers and Spike's latest Windmill Sessions from the DJ Promo forum. Other than the humidity, it was great cabin weather. Saw a very, very healthy coyote as I pulled through the gate to head back to the cabin. Not sure what he's been eating to stay so filled out, but I'm thinking the guys running cattle on our farm should do a head count.

Old Post Jun-17-2017 11:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

Headbanging hurts my neck.

Old Post Jun-18-2017 07:12  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Well this weekend I went through 7 years of British newspapers in a previous century trying to find a piece of information, with no luck, then checked one random issue of a Dutch paper in that period and found exactly what I wanted. I suppose that's a victory? Big meeting tomorrow, so I'm very glad I found the data, but damn I wish I had done something else this weekend.

I was not built for this weather; 30c/90f today, absolutely destroying my delicate system

Old Post Jun-18-2017 20:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Long weekend. I slept in, I took a nap, and then I had some shut-eye. And, after that, some rest. It was a much needed break
quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Well this weekend I went through 7 years of British newspapers in a previous century trying to find a piece of information, with no luck, then checked one random issue of a Dutch paper in that period and found exactly what I wanted.

Wait, you actually speak Afrikaans? (assuming that's why you can read Dutch)

Old Post Jun-18-2017 22:57  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
Long weekend. I slept in, I took a nap, and then I had some shut-eye. And, after that, some rest. It was a much needed break

Sounds exhausting.

Old Post Jun-19-2017 01:30  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by Lira

Wait, you actually speak Afrikaans? (assuming that's why you can read Dutch)

It was a Dutch paper, but written in French, thankfully.

I used to speak some basic Afrikaans, though never very much, but that went out the window when I started learning German when I was 13/14. My grandfather was not pleased, he thought/hoped I would progress from basic Afrikaans to basic Dutch to fluent Dutch. I overheard many angry comments when someone told him I was studying German!

Old Post Jun-19-2017 13:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Well this weekend I went through 7 years of British newspapers in a previous century trying to find a piece of information, with no luck, then checked one random issue of a Dutch paper in that period and found exactly what I wanted. I suppose that's a victory? Big meeting tomorrow, so I'm very glad I found the data, but damn I wish I had done something else this weekend.

I was not built for this weather; 30c/90f today, absolutely destroying my delicate system

That must have been really old newspapers. Think the last Dutch newspaper in French was like 1892 or something.

Tomorrow 32 degrees over here...pfff

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Jun-19-2017 17:28  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
Sounds exhausting.

lol

quote:
Originally posted by LEWS

I used to speak some basic Afrikaans, though never very much, but that went out the window when I started learning German when I was 13/14. My grandfather was not pleased, he thought/hoped I would progress from basic Afrikaans to basic Dutch to fluent Dutch. I overheard many angry comments when someone told him I was studying German!

It's weird though how interchangeable those languages are; my other half is Swiss and they used to get dutch radio when she grew up and after about 10 mins, could understand everything. Then a dutch mate came over the other week, I was speaking Swiss German to my missus in front of him and he suddenly "got it". Afrikaans just sounds like scouser Dutch

Old Post Jun-20-2017 02:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vivid Boy
TA's GodFather

Tore my labrum in my shoulder back under the scalpel. Fucjin shit my luck. I need to stop thinking I'm invincible and slow my shit down

Old Post Jun-20-2017 03:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Vivid Boy Click here to Send Vivid Boy a Private Message Add Vivid Boy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
Sounds exhausting.

Totally, I'm knackered
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
It's weird though how interchangeable those languages are; my other half is Swiss and they used to get dutch radio when she grew up and after about 10 mins, could understand everything. Then a dutch mate came over the other week, I was speaking Swiss German to my missus in front of him and he suddenly "got it".

Actually, it is English that is the damn outlier here

The Germanic languages haven't split that long ago, and there are quite a few words that are still pretty uniform across all languages (such as "hand", with the occasional vowel shift). If you measure the lexical differences among European languages, you'll see English hanging on its own, far from both the languages from Western Europe and the Scandinavian ones (with Danish being a bridge in more than just one way).

As a native speaker of Portuguese, though I feel English is to Germanic languages what French is to its closest relatives. Can I read French? Yup, no problem. Can I understand a French speaker? Now that's a whole different ballgame, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out Cristiano Ronaldo can shout something in his native language to Paul Pogba during a game and make himself understood, but I suspect it doesn't go both ways. Hell, even Romanian (a distant Romance language no one else understands in spite of the fact they get what everybody else says (pdf)) sounds more familiar
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Afrikaans just sounds like scouser Dutch

I wonder if Trance-M concurs
quote:

I guess he may have underestimated how much ít takes to go from basic Afrikaans to vloeiend Nederlands, although I can see why it made sense. Don't you feel like learning Dutch though? If you're studying German, and English is your native language, it'll feel like "German lite"... although it's just a matter of time until you start mixing it up with German and Danish

(I had no idea the Dutch wrote newspapers in French. I know it's writing in English to a foreign audience when French was the international language du jour, but still)

Old Post Jun-20-2017 04:08  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > the 112th chapter of our friday threads
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackmental theo @ eindelijk [2002] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackBas&Ram – The Flirt (Unreleased) [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread