Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Frankie Knuckles did germinate the idea of house by playing a drum machine under disco records and then making/playing tougher edits when new disco releases dried up at the start of the 80s. The first proper house records were more or less made from scratch though, using cheap gear that allowed kids in their bedrooms to make polyphonic dance records without getting ten session musicians into a studio, as disco required.

Building a home studio in the 80s was actually pretty expensive, I recently read an article about how Marshall Jefferson had to take out a ten thousand dollar loan (over twenty grand adjusted for inflation) to build a basic studio with a couple of synths and a 707. The 303 was the only piece of gear that was actually cheap at the time. Obviously, it's still much more attainable than hiring a bunch of session musicians but I think the "cheap gear" myth has been a bit exaggerated by dance music history. A lot of the early Chicago records were made with shared or borrowed gear because it wasn't actually affordable for kids. Likewise, I recently heard in an interview that a 909 was already around 2000-3000 DM (roughly equivalent to the Euro when adjusted for inflation) around '93 in Germany.

Old Post Oct-22-2018 13:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Yeah, but have you compared those prices to 70s studio gear? They're extremely expensive by modern "torrent cracked copy of Logic" standards, you're right, but didn't Marshall Jefferson famously get talked into buying the whole shop by the salesman, much to the mirth of his friends? And he bought brand new, I believe.

> Skipton's Only Prog Night [Warm Up Grooves]
> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]

Old Post Oct-22-2018 13:49  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Hereís the story. Iíve heard it told in slightly different ways down the years:

quote:
I hated dance music. I thought it was wimpy! laughs Jefferson (hes still a big fan of Yes and Genesis). Inspired by Saunders, he went into the local music store to buy himself some audio production gear. We went to a music store, me and a friend of mine, who played guitar. This guy at the music store showed us a sequencer. He said, With this thing you can play keyboards like a real keyboard player.

And my friend said, Thats bullshit, you gotta take lessons.

I was like, No, man, I believe him. Im gonna buy it.

The only reason I bought it was I thought that must be what Jesse Saunders is using. I didnt know he had a keyboard player playing all his shit.

He said, Wait a minute, you dont want this sequencer and not have a keyboard to play, do you?

Oh yeah, youre right. So I bought the keyboard too.

Then he said, Hey, you dont want to have this sequencer and this keyboard and not have a drum machine to play with them?

This went on until Jefferson left the store $9,000 poorer.

That night, his friends came over and had a good old laugh at Marshalls spending spree. Stupid motherfucker bought all this shit and dont even know how to play nothin. What a stupid motherfucker

https://www.theransomnote.com/music...otes-parts-1-3/

> Skipton's Only Prog Night [Warm Up Grooves]
> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]

Old Post Oct-22-2018 14:01  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Arrow

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Yeah, but have you compared those prices to 70s studio gear? They're extremely expensive by modern "torrent cracked copy of Logic" standards, you're right, but didn't Marshall Jefferson famously get talked into buying the whole shop by the salesman, much to the mirth of his friends? And he bought brand new, I believe.

Yeah, but most of the gear he bought was still new in the 80s and wasn't just thrown into pawnshops like the 303. What I was saying is that there's this myth that in the 80s you could pick up an entire top of the line analog studio for nothing which just isn't true for the most part.

But you are right, in the 70s it was pretty much impossible to build a home studio unless you were someone like Jarre or Kraftwerk.

Old Post Oct-22-2018 14:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Yeah, but most of the gear he bought was still new in the 80s and wasn't just thrown into pawnshops like the 303. What I was saying is that there's this myth that in the 80s you could pick up an entire top of the line analog studio for nothing which just isn't true for the most part.

But you are right, in the 70s it was pretty much impossible to build a home studio unless you were someone like Jarre or Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk recorded in a studio in the '70s, not at home.

Old Post Oct-22-2018 16:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

A lot of the 808's reputation as a drum machine used by poor people is almost solely due to the fact it was the drum machine of choice for ghetto music: hip-hop, freestyle, booty bass, etc. Heck, it still is, or at least programs that emulate it. I'm sure producers with high-end studios used them as well, but often in tandem with other gear of the day, drowning out the 808's most notorious traits (big bass, tinny percussion, that cowbell).

(~)

Old Post Oct-22-2018 22:23  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread