Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Omnisphere
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by rattymouse
Thank you very much for posting the Frankie Knuckles tune. Very very beautiful. I lived in Chicago 42 years and never knew about House music during that time. Imagine my regret.

But Eric Prydz's music sounds nothing like this. That is why I dont see it as House music.

Here's my favorite from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXjYpcvMatw

House music just like Trance has been raped to shred. It's been commercially exploited to the nth degree. Most people don't even know that FK was the god father of house music. He made house music. I love both House and Trance but Trance a bit more because it's my energy to keep pushing on.

Old Post Oct-19-2018 23:15  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Omnisphere Click here to Send Omnisphere a Private Message Add Omnisphere to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Prydz is more Anthem House, something of a European invention (UK? Italy? Belgium? Why not all??), which has little to do with OG Chicago House beyond both using the classic four-to-the-floor rhythm. A lot of Eurotrance ended up adopting Anthem House's liberal use of, um, anthems (the big snare rolls and crescendo hooks), hence why they've sometimes been interchangeable throughout the years (and called Progressive House by lazy online marketers).

(~)

Old Post Oct-19-2018 23:59  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omnisphere
Senior tranceaddict

Trance with love

Old Post Oct-20-2018 02:41  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Omnisphere Click here to Send Omnisphere a Private Message Add Omnisphere to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
Prydz is more Anthem House, something of a European invention (UK? Italy? Belgium? Why not all??), which has little to do with OG Chicago House beyond both using the classic four-to-the-floor rhythm. A lot of Eurotrance ended up adopting Anthem House's liberal use of, um, anthems (the big snare rolls and crescendo hooks), hence why they've sometimes been interchangeable throughout the years (and called Progressive House by lazy online marketers).

Isn't Chicago House crafting new music from existing records? Either laying drum tracks over classic soul tunes or mixing two on top of each other? Today's House music is not made this way, as far as I understand it.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 10:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

What exactly do you mean by "today's house music"?

Last edited by wotyzoid on Oct-20-2018 at 13:42

Old Post Oct-20-2018 11:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Isn't Chicago House crafting new music from existing records? Either laying drum tracks over classic soul tunes or mixing two on top of each other? Today's House music is not made this way, as far as I understand it.

No, Chicago House was mostly created from existing hardware - Roland drum machines (especially the 909, not to mention the little silver box that gave birth to Acid House), Rhodes keyboards, a dude giving a monologue, and the like. DJs may have mashed a Chicago House record with a soul record during a set, but that's about the extent of it.

However, as the genre caught on, the gear became more prevalent, and people all over the globe tried their hand at making the Chicago sound, they often raided acappellas of soul and disco songs for sampling (they *loved* Loleatta Holloway acappellas). Once this caught on, American house producers did it as well. The classic 'jack-jack-jackin' Chicago sound was pretty much dead by '92, its sound coming off dated compared to the advances in music production, a relic of a scene in its primordial state.

Naturally, it came back in the mid-'00s, thanks to the power of retro.

(~)

Last edited by Sykonee on Oct-20-2018 at 12:06

Old Post Oct-20-2018 11:49  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Frankie Knuckles did germinate the idea of house by playing a drum machine under disco records and then making/playing tougher edits when new disco releases dried up at the start of the 80s. The first proper house records were more or less made from scratch though, using cheap gear that allowed kids in their bedrooms to make polyphonic dance records without getting ten session musicians into a studio, as disco required.

> All Night Long: 2018 [Open To Close Set]
> Welcome To the Future [Driving Progressive]
> Autumn Drive [Progressive]

Old Post Oct-20-2018 12:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
What exactly do you mean by "today's house music"?

House music produced today.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 18:24  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

You would be wrong in that assertion, house music today is made all kinds of different ways. Sample based, Purely made through gear or computer, infused with real instruments, vocal, instrumental, take your pick.

quote:
Isn't Chicago House crafting new music from existing records?

Sweeping generalizations like this will not help your understanding. Much like sampling had a heavy influence in hip-hop, sampling is not what defines it. The associations of continuity between house and say disco, soul and funk are more of a spiritual, esoteric nature and not based on methodology. "Chicago house was new music influenced by existing records" is more accurate and digestible.

Last edited by wotyzoid on Oct-20-2018 at 19:07

Old Post Oct-20-2018 18:50  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hoopoe
Junior tranceaddict

Maybe it's better to just not get into trance music after all.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 19:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for hoopoe Click here to Send hoopoe a Private Message Add hoopoe to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
You would be wrong in that assertion, house music today is made all kinds of different ways. Sample based, Purely made through gear or computer, infused with real instruments, vocal, instrumental, take your pick.

Sweeping generalizations like this will not help your understanding. Much like sampling had a heavy influence in hip-hop, sampling is not what defines it. The associations of continuity between house and say disco, soul and funk are more of a spiritual, esoteric nature and not based on methodology. "Chicago house was new music influenced by existing records" is more accurate and digestible.

It was a QUESTION. See the question mark in my text? What I wrote was not a generalization. I asked the question because virtually every song I see from Frankie Knuckles is some old soul song with a drum track laid over it.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 19:13  United States
wotyzoid
it's not house

I answered your question, asshole.

Old Post Oct-20-2018 19:28  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread