Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > PDD's Papers and Editorials
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
atbell
Supreme tranceaddict

I guess I could have posted this earlier, completely forgot.

A paper commisioned by the city of Toronto:

http://www.martinprosperity.org/res...city-of-toronto

Old Post Feb-10-2009 19:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for atbell Click here to Send atbell a Private Message Add atbell to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
atbell
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Krypton
Well, the semester is over. I have a few papers I will be posting. Here is the first one. This paper was turned in November 3, the day before Obama was elected.

THESIS: This paper explains the rights and powers of the United States President, analyzes the 2008 presidential election, and makes a prediction of the outcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Analysis on the Presidential Election and the role of President of the United States

Solid paper, quite a stance RE: the Hauge. I haven't been able to go quite that far, I'm still of the opinion that at the very least charges should be brought in the US and that a judge, jury, and the people should hear the arguments for and against.

Old Post Feb-10-2009 19:55  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for atbell Click here to Send atbell a Private Message Add atbell to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
atbell
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade
Post-modernism in a 4th year economics subject. Hooray.

Rajani Kanth suggested that “economics has always been a material, practical science of social engineering, not an abstract science inquiring dispassionately into the eternal verities of the economic order” (Kanth, 1992, p.89) and many point to the decline (real or imagined) of local cultures (in the capacity of food, dress, language, etc.) as evidence that ideological imposition of economic liberalisation is having a deleterious effect on cultures around the world. However, in doing this we must recognise that in a capitalistic system cultural production is essentially democratic: at the risk of committing what Marx called “commodity fetishism”, if people wish to continue consuming “traditional” cultural artefacts then market-based capitalism is surely no hindrance to that. Theoretically at least, consumer sovereignty puts economic production – including cultural production - squarely in the hands of the people.

(Forgive the shitty formatting. MS Word doesn't translate that well to VB code.)

I don't know about the second last paragraph where you claim that capitalisim allows for democratic production of culture.

It would be correct to say that it allows for the democratic production of directly profitable culture but has nothing to do with forms of culture that are either not created with the intention of being profitable or which derive profits from more complicated mechanisims.

One example would be the investment of a wealthy industrialist in the creation of a work of art. The work that is commissioned has nothing to do with democracy, it has more to do with nepotisim and the personal preferences of the industrialist. This example also has the knock on effect that a single patron, the industrialist, could effectively launch the carrer of the cultural producer by giveing them more of a portfolio.

Another example would be Rupert Murdoc who uses cultural manipulation through the very direct control of a massive network of media providers to forward his own political agenda.

Culture in capitalisim is only democratic in cases where a work is created strictly with the intention of maximizing returns through the sale of a product. Even in this case democracy is defined as 'one dollar one vote'.

Old Post Feb-10-2009 20:22  Canada
walker935
tranceaddict in training

I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is. I don't know how much interest in this subject there is, but I'm taking a fairly controversial position in this one, basically arguing that firms like Black water could potentially serve well as peace-keepers .

Old Post May-25-2010 07:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for walker935 Click here to Send walker935 a Private Message Add walker935 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Comrade Stalin
Uncle Joe

quote:
Originally posted by walker935
I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is. I don't know how much interest in this subject there is, but I'm taking a fairly controversial position in this one, basically arguing that firms like Black water could potentially serve well as peace-keepers .

Spamming your sports crap huh?

Old Post Jul-01-2010 04:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Comrade Stalin Click here to Send Comrade Stalin a Private Message Add Comrade Stalin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > PDD's Papers and Editorials
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 3 4 [5]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacklawler idtrack [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPrototype - "Soundpiercing" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread