Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Platipus Records Discussion
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Platipus Records Discussion

Figured I would make a thread dedicated to new Platipus material since many other TAs really dig their stuff.

Just seen the that there will Two Full Moons & A Trout remixes by Airwave, Freedom Fighters, and Terra Ferma. Also confirmed is a new POB singe titled 'Cloud' along with new Art Of Trance and Union Jack singles in the works.

edit: Terra Ferma is mixing down a remix for POB's 'Cloud' and he lost of bunch of material he was working on from a voltage surge.

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Sep-22-2014 at 01:34

Old Post Jul-22-2013 09:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
blackplasma
Senior tranceaddict

Really looking forward to hearing the new material. I do hope they start to maintain some consistency in the release schedule, it's been a bit stop-start ever since Pylon Pigs. Everytime I start getting excited the label seems to shut down again.

Old Post Jul-22-2013 09:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for blackplasma Click here to Send blackplasma a Private Message Add blackplasma to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Yeah I know what you mean and it feels like forever since Gibbon/Baboon but I emailed them a while ago and they just said there wasn't as much good music as they would like...plus a lot legal stuff had to be finalized after Bonzai picked them up.

Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Jul-22-2013 at 12:02

Old Post Jul-22-2013 09:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

platipus is real trance through and through. they are one of the few to maintain that psychedelic edge that has been there from the start.

didn't really like baboon, but gibbon is awesome.

AOT & POB - turkish bizarre remains one of my favourite ever tunes.

Old Post Jul-22-2013 15:06  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Visit rubez's homepage! Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

quote:
Originally posted by rubez
didn't really like baboon, but gibbon is awesome.

same here, both are good, but the frogs and the primate howlings are just awesome. I think that what I love most about Simon is he likes to incorporate natural sounds in his music. I do like Baboon's gnarly bassline and dark arpeggios though, a real throwback.

Turkish Bizarre is pretty good too.

Soundcloud Mixes

Old Post Jul-24-2013 09:21  United States
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

Another 'Two Full Moons & A Trout' refresher? Kinda weird.

Anyway, I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that Platipus had remained consistently faithful to their 'true trance' heritage; ever hear the material released on Platipus: Euro? It was essentially of the same Black Hole/Armada variety that self-identified purists derided as being a total departure from authentic trance. Sure, they may have regulated most of it to an alternative sub-label, but it was still a sound that was picked up and promoted under the Platipus flag (in addition to being mostly awful).

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jul-25-2013 at 06:18

Old Post Jul-25-2013 05:41  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

quote:
Originally posted by Paradox Lost

It is that weird? I'd say it's a song they should continue to use to identify their history and they just don't get anyone to do them like other labels that churn out classics remixes ever few years, the last real remix ep was in 2006, and those were pretty decent.

I'll agree with you on Platipus:Euro though, was mainly just an experiment to see if it could find a niche in the mainstream trance sound while still having an edge but that's when house and electro took over; to be honest though, a lot of those tracks were licensed and really weren't all that bad if you really think about all the crap coming out at that time. I hardly condemned a labels credibility over ten releases that weren't all originally published on their label.

I thought tracks like Pole Position, Binary Refined, and Out Of Knowhere were good at the time.

edit: I have two Euro vinyls and gotta say that hot pink and blue really pop, almost burns my retinas.

Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Jul-25-2013 at 14:06

Old Post Jul-25-2013 13:51  United States
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by Syntonic
It is that weird? I'd say it's a song they should continue to use to identify their history and they just don't get anyone to do them like other labels that churn out classics remixes ever few years, the last real remix ep was in 2006, and those were pretty decent.

I'll agree with you on Platipus:Euro though, was mainly just an experiment to see if it could find a niche in the mainstream trance sound while still having an edge but that's when house and electro took over; to be honest though, a lot of those tracks were licensed and really weren't all that bad if you really think about all the crap coming out at that time. I hardly condemned a labels credibility over ten releases that weren't all originally published on their label.

I thought tracks like Pole Position, Binary Refined, and Out Of Knowhere were good at the time.

edit: I have two Euro vinyls and gotta say that hot pink and blue really pop, almost burns my retinas.

I don't see any of my remarks as coming remotely close to 'condemning' the label for releasing tracks of a more mainstream vein, it was more to demonstrate that it wasn't perpetually in the vein of Art of Trance and Union Jack. And that's not merely by way of Platipus: Euro, but by Platipus proper. I own all their annuals from volume seven on, and I can tell you without even revisiting their tracklistings that tracks like...

Kansai- Remember This Night
Leama- Melodica
Greg Murray- Ursa Majoris
Altitude- Tears in the Rain

...despite being fine pieces of music, were entirely typical of what was happening elsewhere, trance-wise, and very typical of what you could- at that point- expect to find on a Plat. compilation. I'm not faulting the label for this, as it may have simply proved impractical or impossible to avoid pushing the prevailing sound of the time, but many people seem to be of the impression that Platipus championed and preserved trance in its purest and undistilled form from beginning to end, and I think it's rather clear that by the mid 2000's, the only significant difference between Platipus and other major European trance labels was that Platipus had a more distinguished back catalog (and, relatedly, a more loyal following).

As for 'Two Full Moons and a Trout,' it isn't 'that' weird, it's just weird as in 'you already issued a remix package for this track, so why not give a modern treatment to a different classic, this time?' And it's not like they have any shortage of viable candidates, as Platipus has become largely synonymous with classic trance.

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jul-26-2013 at 00:45

Old Post Jul-26-2013 00:17  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Poor choice of words on my part then, it sounded like you were running it down just because of the sub-label, which is totally fine if people feel that way. I own every compilation except vol.9, was just too indicative of what was happening to the trance scene; there is probably only 4 tracks I like off that because the others are the same formulaic breakdown structures you would see other labels doing.

Now I'm glad the trinity of Platipus is back and getting serious about their craft again. Call me what you want but the music speaks for itself. It's taking a long time but will be that much sweeter when it arrives.

Just curious what you think they should do a remix EP of? Those Red Herring remixes were ok, I'd like to see Yeti get a remix though. Some tracks I couldn't see getting a remix, some originals are just too good and would tarnish it IMO.

Soundcloud Mixes

Old Post Jul-26-2013 00:54  United States
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

Not sure what they should treat to a remix, as I never really dug their early catalog much in the first place, but I do wish they could somehow revive the Art of Chill series. While it kind of became mired in experimental mud toward the last two installments, it was still an overall stellar series that was well worth the exorbitant import fees.

That, and the release of Moogwai's "5 Wishes and More" were some of the best things to ever come out of Platipus, and since you seem to be personally plugged into it, maybe you can find out whatever happened with Chab and Greg Murray...

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jul-26-2013 at 01:32

Old Post Jul-26-2013 01:15  Palestine
RebeL9
The Digital Blonde addict

I've never had the impression that Platipus is a label for a niche trance sound, even though Simon Berrys sound and feel to the tracks had a big influence on the stuff released.
At the same time as Platipus had their biggest commercial success ever with the very radio friendly Robert Miles - Children they released goa trance such as Salamander - Tempest (Moonweed Mix).
You can also clearly see that Platipus took a more euro trance approach in the late 90s with hits such as Albion - Air and Libra - Calling your name. But at the same time releasing more underground stuff through their Gecko sub label.
When euro trance became shit they instead made a 180% and completely looked away from it, not releasing many trance records and instead fokusing on downtempo and contemporary world music.
It's an interesting label indeed. One of my favourites.

Old Post Jul-26-2013 09:58  Afghanistan
Click Here to See the Profile for RebeL9 Click here to Send RebeL9 a Private Message Visit RebeL9's homepage! Add RebeL9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
blackplasma
Senior tranceaddict

Greg Murray has just released a new (old?) Rusch & Murray track:

http://www.beatport.com/release/shi...-hearts/1120399

Old Post Jul-26-2013 09:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for blackplasma Click here to Send blackplasma a Private Message Add blackplasma to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Platipus Records Discussion
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHelp needed for naming a hardstyle track [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMax Graham - "Automatic Weapon" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread