Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Frequently Asked Questions / Tutorials / How do I? > confused
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
tu_face
No Known Cure...

confused

i have done something daft to my computer :/

i have been skinning windows xp and customising all my icons and stuff.. now all i have knowingly changed is icons for my computer, IE, and file folders. now whenever i double-click to open a folder (this is anywhere, not just from my computer) it opens a search window instead of openeing the folder. the only way i can open the folder is by right-clicking and eiter selecting 'open' or 'explore'...

the strange thing is, when i go to folder options>file types, and then go down to folder, there is both 'folder' and 'file folder', and when i go to 'advanced' in the 'details for folder type' section for 'file folder', it does not have 'open' listed, and i cant work out how to get it there. in the settings for 'folder' it is there however...

any ideas? this is really pissing me off!

Old Post Jun-07-2004 07:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for tu_face Click here to Send tu_face a Private Message Add tu_face to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...

update, managed to get an open in there (ive had to do it with drives also) but it opens it in another window as it just runs explorer again every time i click on a folder... and the goddamn 'browse in same window' option is faded out

a bit better, but not what i want lol..

Old Post Jun-07-2004 09:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for tu_face Click here to Send tu_face a Private Message Add tu_face to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ-Fuq
gone

Dont worry about folder and file folder, its supposed to be like that (dunno why). The easiest thing to do is open regedit, go to hkey_classes_root/directory/shell and change (default)s value to open.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 05:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ-Fuq Click here to Send DJ-Fuq a Private Message Add DJ-Fuq to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...

ok ive got there and it says open in there already.. hmmm.. also when i got to ..shell/open/command, the command line is c:\windows\explorer.exe "%1".. i am thinking that the %1 value would be some form of switch to open in either the same window, or a new one? i've only ever seen switches start with a / tho..

to do this cutomising, i used a .dll hacker, called patchxp.exe (sp1 version).. i dont think its anything the patch has done, as i have friends who have used this exact same file, and they also run the same windows version, even off the same cd.

even if i un-patch it, it will only leave the original dll file there, and i'm not sure if this will reset the folder views. even if it did, it would realy piss me off because its taken me ages to re-do all my icons lol

cheers for the help

Old Post Jun-08-2004 09:53 
Spad
wise sage of the forest

gah is it still doing that?

tell you what I noticed though, I ran the same patch and it reset all my folders to the standard large icon view and My Computer back to where it sections off disks, network places and special folders.

So it looks like running that patch does fuckabout with folders somehow (unless it's the skin your using....could it be part of the theme? try changing to another one if you aint already).

Actually I think it could be your PC, I feel kinda responsible coz I recommended the patch so I'm willing to swap and let you have my PC (which is clearly superior as the patch runs without any problems)

Actually that big monitor you've got could be to blame too...again I don't mind swapping with you as I feel pretty guilty

Old Post Jun-08-2004 12:52  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Spad Click here to Send Spad a Private Message Visit Spad's homepage! Add Spad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...

quote:
Originally posted by Spad

Actually I think it could be your PC, I feel kinda responsible coz I recommended the patch so I'm willing to swap and let you have my PC (which is clearly superior as the patch runs without any problems)

Actually that big monitor you've got could be to blame too...again I don't mind swapping with you as I feel pretty guilty

lol, no i wont swap my beloved pc for your fantastically fast PII as it is blatently your fault (it had nothing to do with anything i did honest ) i think i should commandeer your tft tele in order to compensate for the multiple explorer windows i have

regarding themes, ill try switching them when i get back (if it definitely wont remove all the icons i put in), see if that does anything. i dont think it has anything to do with it tho, as the theme itself ran perfectly, just minus icons before i fucked about with it.

can someone do me a favour? go to ur registry and check the value i was on about above to see if it is the same?

hkey_classes_root/directory/shell//open/command value = c:\windows\explorer.exe "%1"

thx

Last edited by tu_face on Jun-08-2004 at 13:42

Old Post Jun-08-2004 13:36 
tu_face
No Known Cure...

just checked on the pc here at work..

the registry is a lot different (again this is the same installation of windows)

instead of shell\open, there is shell\find but no open........

will it work if i export those registry keys and run them on mine at home?

Old Post Jun-08-2004 13:52 
Spad
wise sage of the forest

quote:
Originally posted by tu_face

That's what I got gringo.

You could always try the repair option on the XP CD. I dunno how safe this is but I wa forced into using it and it done wonders sorting out my registry. Wont delete your theme or anything (could possibly replace that .dll file with the original though.

Old Post Jun-08-2004 16:02  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Spad Click here to Send Spad a Private Message Visit Spad's homepage! Add Spad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...

would that kill my icons..? it took me bloody ages to get them how i wanted..

i have exported the whole shell section of my registry.. would it be a good idea to import to mine?

Old Post Jun-08-2004 16:43 
DJ-Fuq
gone

quote:
ok ive got there and it says open in there already.. hmmm.. also when i got to ..shell/open/command, the command line is c:\windows\explorer.exe "%1".. i am thinking that the %1 value would be some form of switch to open in either the same window, or a new one? i've only ever seen switches start with a / tho..

When %1 (or %2, %a, %* etc) is at the end it means the command applies only to a specific directory (i think).
quote:

will it work if i export those registry keys and run them on mine at home?

Firstly, make sure 'open each folder in its own window' isnt selected in folder options/general. If its not then u can try this: Backup (just in case, im sure u dont need it) and delete the open key. Import the find key from the other computer or else when u right click a folder search probably wont be there. Now go to hkcr/folder/shell. Explore is probably under data for (default), change this to open and see if that works.
(edit: hkcu to hkcr, oops)

Last edited by DJ-Fuq on Jun-09-2004 at 11:02

Old Post Jun-08-2004 16:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ-Fuq Click here to Send DJ-Fuq a Private Message Add DJ-Fuq to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tu_face
No Known Cure...

i did what you said, it works! kind of... lol, it opens a seperate window when you double-click the hard drive, but it continues to explore in that window. strangely enough it opens cd-rom and other stuff in the same window as my computer, but i can deal with this minor annoyance..

cheers for all the help! much apreciated

Old Post Jun-08-2004 17:49 
DJ-Fuq
gone

quote:
i did what you said, it works! kind of... lol, it opens a seperate window when you double-click the hard drive, but it continues to explore in that window.

Should be easily fixable, if what im thinking is right anyway. Default must be set to explore in hkcr/drive/shell. Edit this to none and hopefully everything back to normal.

Old Post Jun-09-2004 11:06 

TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Frequently Asked Questions / Tutorials / How do I? > confused
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOld tune from TDV era [2005] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFuture Sound of London - "Papua New Guinea" (Satoshi Tomiie Main Path Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread