Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!

we all know FB sucks for discussion, so am foruming this instead.

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...ironment-report

Honestly can't see the relationship between the post and the source provided. There are few (if any) evils in modern agriculture that are specific to genetically modified crops. Examine any evil, and in reality it's an issue for conventional agriculture generally. Indeed, some of these evils are actually reduced by GMO plantations.

People complain about the amount of pesticides/herbicides being used on GMO crops without really comparing it to what was being used prior. Now, *volume* measurements are a blunt instrument (more on that below), but even if you compare the amount of agricultural poisons being dumped on produce prior to GMO, there's a pretty stark difference (and it's the opposite of what people assume).

Ignoring the blunt instruments for a moment, the more important consideration is the type of poison we're talking about. And let's be honest, when discussing GMOs we're all really talking about Roundup.

The relative danger of substances are graded by the "median lethal dose" rating, or LD50. Essentially it's the amount of the substance per kilo, that kills 50% of the tested subjects. For some reason we mostly use mice, despite there being plenty of Drum 'n Bass or Breaks enthusiasts available to help advance scientific discovery.

Sources are all below, but essentially the LD50 factor of glyphosate is *huge*. Drinking a little of it might make DnB dude really sick, but if he kept ingesting, he'd fair better in the long run than if he was shovelling mouthfuls of sodium chloride.

But let's not pretend Roundup is a panacea. The amount needed is increasing exponentially; for some reason Evil Nature just won't give up! Damn you, natural world! If only there was a commitment to producing better, safer, cheaper alternatives? But not from those despicable biotechnology companies. Why don't we all use copper sulphate instead? I mean sure, it's more poisonous to humans, the environment and less effective generally, but it's fucking *organic*, bitches!

In my (thoroughly armchair quarterback) opinion, the environmental impacts of conventional agriculture can and should be improved. But I don't see why we can't mix-and-match different processes to get the best results. What's wrong with an organic focus on soil health combined with artificially-improved seed?

https://gmoanswers.com/ask/it-true-...-and-fungicides

https://www.geneticliteracyproject....-use-in-brazil/

http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/farm...se-markets.aspx

http://appliedmythology.blogspot.co...cides-have.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose

http://www.crediblehulk.org/index.p...-credible-hulk/

http://weedcontrolfreaks.com/2013/05/superweed/

Old Post Jun-09-2016 10:03  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Meat187
Diese scheiß Katze

Re: GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
For some reason we mostly use mice, despite there being plenty of Drum 'n Bass or Breaks enthusiasts available to help advance scientific discovery.

Having worked in biomedical research for years, I think I can shed some light on this. The reason is that you need a model organism that is comparable to humans, otherwise your results are not transferable and tell you nothing about how the same stimulus would affect a person. That being said you can surely understand that comparing a healthy, normal human to a D'n'B listener makes no sense.

Coincidentally, researchers established the exact point when someone's taste is so shitty that it becomes preferable to use a mouse to emulate human behavior. That point is called the Deadmau5 barrier.

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post Jun-09-2016 17:31  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

Sorry, did you guys say something about drum'n'bass, breaks, and veggies? I'm trying to follow the discussion, but I'm too busy watching Skeletor learn how to twerk:

Old Post Jun-09-2016 18:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

Re: Re: GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
Having worked in biomedical research for years, I think I can shed some light on this. The reason is that you need a model organism that is comparable to humans, otherwise your results are not transferable and tell you nothing about how the same stimulus would affect a person. That being said you can surely understand that comparing a healthy, normal human to a D'n'B listener makes no sense.

Coincidentally, researchers established the exact point when someone's taste is so shitty that it becomes preferable to use a mouse to emulate human behavior. That point is called the Deadmau5 barrier.

that's fucking gold. yeah, eat a dick lira!

Old Post Jun-10-2016 07:31  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

Re: Re: Re: GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!

quote:
eat a dick lira!

For goodness' sake, you know I can't, I'm a vegetarian!

Old Post Jun-10-2016 08:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

Re: Re: Re: Re: GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
For goodness' sake, you know I can't, I'm a vegetarian!

AND oppose abortion. you're all kinds of fucked up.

Old Post Jun-10-2016 08:32  Australia
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
t3cHn0_OnLeE

This thread has now turned into

Old Post Jun-10-2016 15:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for KiNeTiC ENeRgY Click here to Send KiNeTiC ENeRgY a Private Message Add KiNeTiC ENeRgY to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

Yes, this is now a twerk thread!

quote:
AND oppose abortion. you're all kinds of fucked up.

Hey, if eating dicks is what leads to abortion in Tassie, I'm afraid I'm not the one this charge should be levelled against

(for the record, I oppose abortion in principle but, should there be a referendum, I'd vote for it)

Old Post Jun-10-2016 18:05 
Jon_Snow
tranceaddict in training

Lira why is there a black hole on the left ass cheek of the woman on the far right?

Last edited by Jon_Snow on Jun-11-2016 at 00:09

Old Post Jun-10-2016 23:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Jon_Snow Click here to Send Jon_Snow a Private Message Add Jon_Snow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

I'm sure there's a very Russian explanation for that.

Old Post Jun-11-2016 00:53 
Alex
Suck a cheetah's dick

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
I'm sure there's a very Russian explanation for that.

Russians have certain genetic makeup that engineers them to be at LEAST 200% sketchier than the rest of humanity. You aren't Russian if you aren't really, really sketchy.

On topic:

My mom works for a company that builds commercial drones, and a certain leader in agriculture that has, in the past, had a very questionable sense of morality just ordered a few million dollars worth of drones to supervise their crops. Quite a few hippies work at her company, and they had objections, but by using drones this agriculture company (that shall remain nameless) will be able to reduce the amount of bullshit they spray on their crops by a fuck ton, because instead of carpet bombing their crops as is standard, they can use a drone to swoop down and inspect individual plants and identify potential bad crops way more easily for a more targeted solution to whatever the problem is.

Also, seeing as how hundreds of millions of people around the world starve, I can't really have any moral objections to GMOs right now because I feel that starvation is worse than possible future health consequences from big ass corn.

Last edited by Alex on Jun-11-2016 at 05:02

Old Post Jun-11-2016 04:56  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Alex Click here to Send Alex a Private Message Add Alex to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

Oh, yeah, we strayed so far away from the topic I forgot what we were talking about in the first place

I find anti-GMO movements fascinating. Thanks to the green revolution from the previous century, people from developing countries (hi there!) have had more access to food than ever before, and pesticides have saved crops that would've otherwise been lost ruining farmers, and they're pretty much the backbone of civilisation. Yet, there's this idea that "genetically modified organisms" are evil by default, in spite of the fact we've been selectively breeding plants and animals since we first realised we didn't have to be hunter-gatherers until the end of time.

Weirder still, while we usually say the right is conservative (and they clearly don't like science when it comes to evolution and climate change), these Luddite impulses come from a more tech-savvy left. On the left I posted an image from a Pew Research's public and scientists’ views on science and society, and it's incredible that the largest difference is... regarding the safety to eat genetically-modified foods! Not even climate change shows a wider gap!

Being married to someone who grew up in a farm, I've long heard my wife talk about how difficult it is to grow organic food - and how dangerous it can be if you don't follow very strict guidelines. Not that it boosts production or anything. It's just because people think food shouldn't be affected by human impulses to change everything... The fact that corn nowadays looks nothing like its ancestors notwithstanding.

I'd keep posting text to fill the post and reach the end of the image, but I'm busy and I've got stuff to do, so I'll just leave it hanging on the left

Old Post Jun-11-2016 07:24 

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > GMOs and creating a link to paste on FB. thanks TA!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread