Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Which European Language is the hardest to learn?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Gr00ver&Breaker
Junior tranceaddict

Which European Language is the hardest to learn?

?

Old Post May-28-2016 09:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Gr00ver&Breaker Click here to Send Gr00ver&Breaker a Private Message Add Gr00ver&Breaker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Supreme tranceaddict

Probably Basque, since it's completely unrelated to any other European language (or any other language on earth, for that matter).

Old Post May-28-2016 10:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

From the one's I've interacted with, I'd say Hungarian, but I've never heard or attempted any Basque.

Old Post May-28-2016 10:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Meat187
Diese schei▀ Katze

Arabic.

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post May-28-2016 11:37  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Supreme tranceaddict

اردو

Old Post May-28-2016 15:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Jolly Good Show Indeed!

It depends on quite a few factors: What is your native language? What other languages do you speak (if any)? Will you be around the speakers of the language you want to learn? How much material is available? And, most importantly, what is a European language (i.e. where does your definition of Europe end)?

For simplicity's sake, I'll assume (1) you don't speak any non-Indo-European language, (2) you wouldn't even consider languages with less than half a million speakers, (3) there's plenty of material available, and (4) you won't move to the place where the hardest European language is spoken.

1 (=Tied). Maltese: Let's face it, you probably had no idea this language even existed (and it barely made it to the cut, with 522 thousand speakers).

It's a Semitic language closely related to Arabic (so, in a way, I agree with Meat187), and the only piece of good news is that it borrows a number of words from Sicilian, itself an Indo-European language, and the phonology is simpler compared to Arabic.

1 (=Tied). Basque: And now, the usual suspects. Spoken by slightly more people in Spain and France, Basque is hell. I don't know how to objectively compare Basque and Maltese to see which one would be more difficult to the average speaker of an Indo-European language... But they share quite a few characteristics (spoken by few speakers, not related to any language we're acquainted with, and so on).

It's an alien language until someone proves it isn't.

3. Chechen: Does the Caucasus region count? If it does, then this is my third pick because it's a North-East Caucasian language with words that sound nothing like we're used to, spoken by very few people and, to make things worse, you'll have to learn a different alphabet. It's full of grammatical cases, weird vowels and consonants, and stuff like that.

4. Kabardian: Same as above, really. Besides, we've all heard of Chechnya, for better or worse. Do you know anything about Kabardino-Balkaria? Good luck studying a language about a region you know nothing about, because without access to cultural products, odds are you'll never move beyond the basics, and even if you do, it's even harder to keep the little you know.

5. Any Uralic language, really: Estonian, Hungarian, Finnish, you name it. They're all weird in their own way, and I don't know how to pick among them the hardest one. I'm inclined to always choose the language with fewer speakers, but it seems Estonian is actually simpler than Finnish, so I'll just go on and assume it's drunken Suomi.

quote:
Originally said by Maurice Moss
I came here to kick ass and drink milk... and I've just finished my milk

Old Post May-28-2016 20:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click Here to Email Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow
tranceaddict in training

Lira I bet it's not as hard as 33 Brazilian guys before they rape 17 year old girl.
Why is it every time I look Brazil is in the news for the wrong reasons?

Old Post May-28-2016 21:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Jon_Snow Click here to Send Jon_Snow a Private Message Add Jon_Snow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

Why the media you're following choose to highlight these events?

Old Post May-28-2016 23:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

I have a feeling about this thread...

december
une promenade dans le parc
nancy

Old Post Yesterday 00:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow
tranceaddict in training

It's hard to ignore when a story like that appears even if it's only Google News

Old Post Yesterday 01:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Jon_Snow Click here to Send Jon_Snow a Private Message Add Jon_Snow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
Lira I bet it's not as hard as 33 Brazilian guys before they rape 17 year old girl.
Why is it every time I look Brazil is in the news for the wrong reasons?

Geting ready for the relay at the Olympics, obviously.

They can't win, but at least want to beat India.

Old Post Yesterday 02:43  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow
tranceaddict in training

India has cornered the market on spelling bees

Old Post Yesterday 02:51  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Which European Language is the hardest to learn?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread