Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Eastern philosophy and cultural history
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Tangil
The Palatial Cat

Eastern philosophy and cultural history

Hi guys

I'm looking to get a better understanding of Eastern philosophy and history (from a cultural point of view - i.e. way of life/values/traditions etc).

Would love some recommendations for a book or documentary that would be a useful starting point.

Xie xie

Last edited by Tangil on May-30-2017 at 07:52

Old Post May-30-2017 05:06  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Tangil Click here to Send Tangil a Private Message Add Tangil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

Had to web surf a bit just to verify that we weren't indeed the last forum left on Earth.

Old Post May-30-2017 14:09  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Are you sure we're not?

Old Post May-30-2017 17:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

Head of the Centre of Asian Studies of my university here, I think I can help

The Great Courses series has a course called Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition, starring all the great Asian thinkers you probably have in mind (and loads of others). The course is a bit pricey, but there are occasional bargains on Audible if you're lucky. Also, it comes with a course guide with dozens of university-level references, so you know it's quality stuff. Is it too general? Or would you like something more specific about a certain tradition?

Old Post May-30-2017 20:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tangil
The Palatial Cat

Hey thanks Lira! That course looks great, but is probably a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

I was thinking something that would give a solid introduction to the most prominent Eastern philosophers combined with history and culture.

This book, The Pulse of Wisdom (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...pulse-of-wisdom) looks pretty good but not sure if it will have a lot of detail on history/culture aspects of Eastern living.

Any recommendations for a book would be great, although I will keep my eye on Audible for a discounted price for that course.

Last edited by Tangil on Jun-01-2017 at 06:37

Old Post May-31-2017 06:28  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Tangil Click here to Send Tangil a Private Message Add Tangil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Lol, this is actually brilliant; a random comes on, with an incredibly random question about learning sources for asian philosophy (on a schranz website of all places) and our mod is actually head of asian studies and is probably one of the best suited people to ever answer said random question.

Gotta love TA.

Old Post May-31-2017 18:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

Move here and you will laugh at this question.

Mr Myagi died for a reason.

Old Post May-31-2017 21:12  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

I love you LIRA--you could have 20 phds...but fuck the culture.

Old Post May-31-2017 21:13  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow
tranceaddict in training

All the answers you seek can be found at the bottom of a bottle of Tsingtao.

Old Post Jun-01-2017 04:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Jon_Snow Click here to Send Jon_Snow a Private Message Add Jon_Snow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

Have you sexxed an adult yet?

Old Post Jun-01-2017 16:27  China
wotyzoid
it's not house

Lira, I need more samurai books. I'm reading Hagakure.

december
une promenade dans le parc
nancy

Old Post Jun-02-2017 00:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

quote:
Originally posted by Tangil
Hey thanks Lira! That course looks great, but is probably a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

Not sure it helps but, it's 75% off right now, so you can get it for 30 bucks at the moment.
quote:
Originally posted by Tangil
This book, The Pulse of Wisdom (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...pulse-of-wisdom) looks pretty good but not sure if it will have a lot of detail on history/culture aspects of Eastern living.

This looks like one of those interesting new religious strains of thought that have been coming out of South Asia. They're fascinating in their own right but, yeah, if you want a comprehensive description on Asian religions, maybe a broader book like Bradley Hawkins' Asian Religions would also be a good idea.
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Lol, this is actually brilliant; a random comes on, with an incredibly random question about learning sources for asian philosophy (on a schranz website of all places) and our mod is actually head of asian studies and is probably one of the best suited people to ever answer said random question.

Gotta love TA.

Haha, reminds me of the day I posted I was going to see Darude here in Brasília, someone jokingly said "tracklist or stfu", and then Darude himself posted the tracks
quote:
Originally posted by Dykes_on_Jay
I love you LIRA--you could have 20 phds...but fuck the culture.

And I love you too, Jay, but I can't believe you let someone else shoot "Lost in Translation"... that damn film could've been so much more amusing
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
Lira, I need more samurai books. I'm reading Hagakure.

Hmm... Samurai books? Have you read Musashi yet? It was all the rage around here in Brazil some ten years ago. This is one of the gaps in my knowledge, even though I had to teach about the history of Japan a couple of years ago

Old Post Jun-04-2017 04:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Eastern philosophy and cultural history
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread