Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
starwolf5064
tranceaddict in training

Sad Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..

Hi I am fairly new to making trance music using Fl Studio and I only been doing this for 3 weeks, but I have studied music theory for 10 years for guitar so I know my away around when it comes to notes. But... I am curious to what are good ways to sidechain and using effects.

I know how to sidechain, thanks to you guys, but I am wondering what are good ways to add effects to you bass, especially getting fat hard trance sound.

Lately I have been using the Guitar Hardcore pedals in Fl Studio to get my effects, because they have more control, but is there a better way?

Like purchasing plug ins and effects? Or doing both is your best option to get maximum customization?

Old Post Aug-01-2014 23:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for starwolf5064 Click here to Send starwolf5064 a Private Message Add starwolf5064 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

Re: Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..

quote:
Originally posted by starwolf5064
...especially getting fat hard trance sound.

Drive the filters hard. Adding a little distortion/overdrive will fatten up your low end, too.

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Aug-01-2014 23:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sptek
tranceaddict in training

yeah dist always works. just dist on a seperate channel, and bandpass / eq to make it use an area your bass aint using so much, and layer it in at low level

Old Post Aug-02-2014 00:27  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for sptek Click here to Send sptek a Private Message Add sptek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starwolf5064
tranceaddict in training

Re: Re: Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Drive the filters hard. Adding a little distortion/overdrive will fatten up your low end, too.

So basically use the Guitar Hardcore pedals in FL Studio for distortion/overdrive? And use filters to change it up?

Old Post Aug-02-2014 01:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for starwolf5064 Click here to Send starwolf5064 a Private Message Add starwolf5064 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Hot Damn Shining Star

you baser.

Old Post Aug-02-2014 01:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starwolf5064
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by sptek
yeah dist always works. just dist on a seperate channel, and bandpass / eq to make it use an area your bass aint using so much, and layer it in at low level

So use a ghost channel for effect and sidechain it to the bass?

Old Post Aug-02-2014 01:36  United States
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

start with a good source first - then a nice bit of chorus can help fatten it up along with some distortion/saturation

Old Post Aug-02-2014 01:47  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

Re: Re: Re: Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..

quote:
So basically use the Guitar Hardcore pedals in FL Studio for distortion/overdrive? And use filters to change it up?

Try pushing it hard through the filters at the source first, as evo8 suggested. If you look at your synth's filter section, does it have a drive, saturation, or filter input level? If so, push those up until it starts to overdrive the filter and you should hear some instant fattening. Try tweaking the filter cutoff and resonance a bit to find the sweet spot. You may have to bring down the synth's output to compensate, though.

Which synth(s) are you using?

Sonar X3 | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Aug-02-2014 04:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starwolf5064
tranceaddict in training

Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Try pushing it hard through the filters at the source first, as evo8 suggested. If you look at your synth's filter section, does it have a drive, saturation, or filter input level? If so, push those up until it starts to overdrive the filter and you should hear some instant fattening. Try tweaking the filter cutoff and resonance a bit to find the sweet spot. You may have to bring down the synth's output to compensate, though.

Which synth(s) are you using?

The ones in Fl Studio. I use sythns/leads.

Last edited by starwolf5064 on Aug-02-2014 at 07:25

Old Post Aug-02-2014 06:05  United States
sptek
tranceaddict in training

quote:
So use a ghost channel for effect and sidechain it to the bass?

no, we might be talking about different things. im talking about making your bass sound a bit fuller. nothing to do with sc.

the bass should be reacting to the kick signal, so it doesnt matter what the bass sounds like

Old Post Aug-02-2014 13:47  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for sptek Click here to Send sptek a Private Message Add sptek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
starwolf5064
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by sptek
no, we might be talking about different things. im talking about making your bass sound a bit fuller. nothing to do with sc.

the bass should be reacting to the kick signal, so it doesnt matter what the bass sounds like

How would I add distortion effect or any effect to a different channel and have it applied to the bass?

Most of the time when I use Guitar Hardcore effects in Fl Studio it usually sounds like a guitar.

Old Post Aug-02-2014 23:06  United States
sptek
tranceaddict in training

really, this is the sort of thing you should be working out yourself, but ok.

FL sends are hard routed to the master, so dont use those. in fact, dont use those for anything lol.

so lets say your bass is going into mixer channel and the channel is called "bass" well rename that to "bass in"

now create 2 new mixer tracks to the left of it, so you have 3 tracks

name them like this, left to right:
bass mix
bass fx
bass in

now, by using the little orange arrow under the mixer track faders, you route them like this:
bass in --> bass fx
bass in --> bass mix (yep, "bass in" is routed to both of these)

bass fx --> bass mix

bass mix can be routed wherever you want. this is your new main bass mixer track. just be sure to check that bass mix is the only track going to anywhere else, so you'll need to select the other 2 and make sure they're not going to the master.
your synth should be going into Bass and then gets split before going to Bass mix, so now you just have to select Bass fx add an eq (or bandpass filter) and distortion. another good combo for this track, is eq and reverb, gated with love philter, but thats more for rumbling sub bass stuff

i reckon you should get love philter on bass mix, though, as it can be used to make quick sidechain effects, using its volume env. that'll let you try out different curves, without messing about with a comp.

oh yeah, and your sc should be happening on bass mix

thats the technique you'll probs be using a lot when you get more into it. even for things like routing hihats and the top end of clap /snare etc

hope that helps

Old Post Aug-03-2014 01:37  United Kingdom

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Getting a fat bass for sidechain using effects..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread