Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > cheap GAS
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

a little tip.

ask for money off your gear and you will probably get it. they must make healthy margins on most of this hardware.

i got 50 off maschine studio, 30 off a TB-3 and just now i got a free pair of HD25's with a volca sample! (they wouldn't budge on the price, but offered a deal sweetener)

it goes like this:

search google for your desired gear, shopping tab. you will see there are lots of dealers offering it for the exact same price.

go to each retailer and bring up their site. usually they have a 'contact' link or tab on their page. now simply ask for dough off! copy and paste your request into the online request forms/sales email.

be sure to let them know they are not the only game in town... something like "first one to respond gets the sale".

you usually get a rapid response.

in retrospect, i could have probably gotten 100 off the studio, as many of them were all too willing to oblige.

see how cheeky you can go. would be interested in hearing from anyone successful with this too.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 17:38  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

I used to beat everyone down until I ran my own business and realised making people work for peanuts isn't clever and has real effects on other families.

I actually offer more when a local trader (like a builder for example) offers too cheap a price as I don't want him to work for nothing. His kids deserve a decent life.

Makes me sound sort of saintly, lol, but it's just the way I am now.

If it was a big national firm then I'd take a lower price though.

I've known music shop owners that sleep with worry each night as they struggle to make a living.

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbox-divas

Old Post Mar-25-2015 17:55  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click Here to Email Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
deegee
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler
I used to beat everyone down until I ran my own business and realised making people work for peanuts isn't clever and has real effects on other families.

I actually offer more when a local trader (like a builder for example) offers too cheap a price as I don't want him to work for nothing. His kids deserve a decent life.

Makes me sound sort of saintly, lol, but it's just the way I am now.

If it was a big national firm then I'd take a lower price though.

I've known music shop owners that sleep with worry each night as they struggle to make a living.

+1

Old Post Mar-25-2015 17:56  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for deegee Click here to Send deegee a Private Message Add deegee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

The pursuit of bottom dollar is destroying civilisation.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 18:01  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
The pursuit of bottom dollar is destroying civilisation.

DJ idolatry already destroyed it.

Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Mar-25-2015 18:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

fuck that. save your pity for a worthy cause.

you paint a bleak picture. in reality, most well-run businesses are making a nice profit. if it comes down to whether they get the sale or not, why wouldn't they give you a discount?

in the end, they are still making a profit, just a bit less, it will still be substantial in some cases - and they can simply restock the item if it is still in demand. a lot of the time you may even be doing them a favour if they have boxes of your item that they could not shift.

i bought a pioneer 909 mixer roughly 8 years ago for 800... that was the going price. today, the same item? 1500 - 1999! no joke. you're a chump if you pay that!

that means, they are probably raking in 1000 profit on some of those sales.

bottom dollar nothing... this is expensive luxury goods we are talking about here.

basically, you are only asking for a discount. they can tell you to go fuck off if they like - but a lot of them will be happy to do business.

Last edited by rubez on Mar-25-2015 at 18:21

Old Post Mar-25-2015 18:12  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Terrible Trance Pun

Another quality rubez thread.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 18:17  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by rubez

that means, they are probably raking in 1000 profit on some of those sales.

I'm concerned you might actually believe that's true.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 18:21  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

can you tell me why the 909 has shot up by 1000? inflation?

it's the same on all high end electronics, the mark up prices can be staggering.

i realise that they have to keep the lights on, pay their staff etc.

if you keep an eye on prices, they fluctuate wildly. supply and demand. if they don't want to do business, they can simply refuse you.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 18:27  Scotland
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Rubez you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about here.

I used to manage the largest Pro Audio Retailer in Europe. I can tell you that margins in the pro audio industry are pathetic so you might want to research before you start bleating out nonsense.

A good margin on say a $1000 synth is between 17% and 21%. That means $170 to $210.

The more boutique stuff can have higher margins as they are harder to get and the manufacturers typically have stronger control over RRP's/MAP's, but when it comes to the larger brands, the RRP is virtually never adhered to.

In fact nearly all major product manufacturers know their published RRP is never observed.

There were only one or two large brands that (Avid, Acesss for instance) that really kept good control over their street pricing and would pull the authorization from the retailer if they got wind of it being undersold.

Do you know what margin Mac's are sold at via 3rd party retailers? Less than 7%. When we were selling the first metal case Mac Pro's, the margin was 3%. Basically a loss by the time you paid salesmen and shipping etc.

Pioneer ream you for the following reasons:

1, They launch shit cheap to get it in to the market. Part of their business model is market saturation, or trying to put everyone else out of business.

2, They rely on muppets who endlessly upgrade to the mk2, mk3 version or go from a 500 to a 600 to 900 to a 3000 etc, so they effectively get to sell the same product 5 times over.

3, DJ equipment typically has the highest ratio of RRP to real street price, sometimes as much as 45-50%. Goes with the territory (DJ's are hagglers and the industry is run like the second hand car market).

4, Pioneer are in financial trouble, they fired a bunch of poeple last year as a cost cutting measure and even tried to spin off the DJ arm of their business.

5, Some electronic stuff actually gets more expensive over time; precious metals for instance used in microprocessors and LCD/amoled screens are a commodity and have vastly gone up in price over the last few years. Same with copper - it's value has doubled in the last 10 years and in 2012 it was 4 times as high as it was 3 years earlier.

Oh and you're also completely deluded about the markups on high end electronics; why do you think all the custom installers basically are not bothering with supplying the electronics anymore and the 3rd party pro AV trade sellers have nearly all gone bust? They can't compete with the high street and online retailers anymore who are happy to sell TV's at 10% margins.

I know one of the top AV/Home threatre/Hifi installers here in LA. Just did Rick Rubins house. He goes to the same you or I would to buy the equipment, charges it at cost, and then only makes his money on installing/labor and support.

You should really do you research.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 21:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
deegee
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by rubez
can you tell me why the 909 has shot up by 1000? inflation?

it's the same on all high end electronics, the mark up prices can be staggering.

i realise that they have to keep the lights on, pay their staff etc.

if you keep an eye on prices, they fluctuate wildly. supply and demand. if they don't want to do business, they can simply refuse you.

Do you know what 'scarcity' means? Just because something cost 800 quid then and 1800 now doesn't mean that these people are buying them at 800.

Old Post Mar-25-2015 21:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for deegee Click here to Send deegee a Private Message Add deegee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

there are retailers selling the 909 for 1500, and some selling it for 2000. one of them is making a much healthier profit.

Old Post Mar-26-2015 10:46  Scotland

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > cheap GAS
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread