Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Advice me a panner plugin
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

Any panner plugin that allows you to pan things?

Old Post Apr-11-2015 23:11  Yemen
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Terrible Trance Pun

You mean the kind of thing every DAW has in the channel mixer?

Old Post Apr-11-2015 23:31  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

http://www.cableguys.de/pan-cake.html

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plug...php?id=MAutopan

Both are free.

Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-11-2015 23:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery

Yes but that thing in my daw...I hate it.

Old Post Apr-11-2015 23:50  Yemen
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
http://www.cableguys.de/pan-cake.html

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plug...php?id=MAutopan

Both are free.

Thanks cryo.

But I am searching something to pay for.

Old Post Apr-11-2015 23:51  Yemen
cryophonik
Lunik Fanatik

quote:
Originally posted by TranceElevation
Thanks cryo.

But I am searching something to pay for.

In that case, go with the best:

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/panman

But, I wouldn't spend that much on the single plugin. My advice is to buy the v4 native bundle (if you can swing it and don't mind the iLok) and you'll get the v5 bundle update for free when it's released later this year (requires iLok, but you can choose between the dongle or the desktop license).

Another option is Xfer LFOTool - nearly as good as PanMan IMO, but much cheaper and does a lot more than panning.

Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | DSI Mopho X4 | NI Maschine

Old Post Apr-12-2015 00:44  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm evaluating right now.

btw, soundtoys and their fucking ilok!!!

Old Post Apr-12-2015 00:55  Yemen
Dj Dizzy
Guaranteed Fresh...

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery

not necessarily. i'm an ableton user and i've come to find out that the pan pots in ableton are actually l/r faders. so if you use ableton to pan left then you lose the right channel's audio info, you're just fading to the left. so to OP, if you're an ableton user then use "Utility", it's pan pots are faders too but you can mono the signal then use ableton's pan faders so you don't lose that opposite channel's audio info.

Old Post Apr-13-2015 15:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Dizzy Click here to Send Dj Dizzy a Private Message Visit Dj Dizzy's homepage! Add Dj Dizzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Dizzy
not necessarily. i'm an ableton user and i've come to find out that the pan pots in ableton are actually l/r faders. so if you use ableton to pan left then you lose the right channel's audio info, you're just fading to the left. so to OP, if you're an ableton user then use "Utility", it's pan pots are faders too but you can mono the signal then use ableton's pan faders so you don't lose that opposite channel's audio info.

Nearly every DAW allows you to change the panning law in the preferences. I know for sure Logic and Cubase do, so I'd be amazed if ableton doesn't.

This is taken from the Logic forums:

quote:
0dB is the default setting, it doesn't compensate anything, so the result is that if a signal is panned in the center, it stays at its nominal level (0dB of gain), and as you pan a signal to one side, the level drops (as you reach only one side, you only get one speaker playing your signal rather than two).

-3dB is a first attempt at smoothing out the level of a signal as you pan it, by gradually reducing the gain of the signal as you bring it back to center, ending up at -3dB when panned dead center. Not an ideal solution, but the advantage is that the level remains fairly constant as you pan the signal across the stereo field.

-3dB compensated is the best of both world: using the -3dB setting but adding 3dB of gain to the whole signal. So it's pretty much raising the gain as you pan to a side, so that the level remains constant as you pan across the stereo field, but not losing -3dB when panned center. The level is consistent as you pan, although you'll see the level rise on the meters as you pan to a side.

About the only time when you'll actually HEAR a difference between pan laws is if you automate the pan of an instrument, having it go from left to center to right to center to left, etc... if you do this, both "-3dB compensated" and "-3dB" will sound the same, but they will both sound different from "0 dB" where the signal will drop in volume as it reaches one side or the other.

In any other situation, you'll automatically rectify the pan/volume manually while listening, using your ears, as you mix anyway, so pan laws don't make any difference.

PS: Many think (wrongly) that because they take an existing mix, change the pan law setting and get a wider/narrower image, that the pan law setting affects the perception of width in a mix. Really all they're doing is changing the volume of all their instruments depending on their panning position. Of course the width of the mix changes when you do that. But had you mixed with another pan law setting, for a given desired result, you'd have put the volume faders at another position yourself anyway, and gotten the same result in the end.

Old Post Apr-15-2015 01:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dj Dizzy
Guaranteed Fresh...

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Nearly every DAW allows you to change the panning law in the preferences. I know for sure Logic and Cubase do, so I'd be amazed if ableton doesn't.

This is taken from the Logic forums:

yeah you can change the panning law in logic but to my knowledge, you can't change it in ableton. but i wasn't referring to the panning law. i was saying how all the pan pots in ableton don't actually pan left to right, they're just left/right faders. so in ableton if you try to pan something to the right, you'd expect it to pan both channels (the audio information for the left channel and right channel) to the right. but what it actually does is fade to the right, so you lose the left channel's audio info if you pan to the right in ableton. if the sound's left and right audio information is identical then it doesn't matter. but if the sound's left channel is different from it's right channel and you "pan" to the right in ableton then you lose the left channel. i hope i explained that in a way that makes sense.

the way around that is to use Ableton's "Utility" plugin to mono the sound, then pan it whichever direction. that way you don't lose any audio information, if the sound's left/right channels aren't identical to begin with.

Old Post Apr-22-2015 20:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Dizzy Click here to Send Dj Dizzy a Private Message Visit Dj Dizzy's homepage! Add Dj Dizzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Advice me a panner plugin
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread