Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > why is a good sound card important?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

playing mp3's wont sound any better, would they?

are my synths going to sound better?

what difference do they make compared to onboard motherboard sound?

i may sell my graphics card and use the slot (and the cash) to get a decent sound card, if there is any real benefit.

not keen on the external motherfuckers though. i know they can be considered less desirable?

i was getting the occasional pop and crackle with omnisphere (not CPU related, driver issue i think) but i seem to have that fixed now.

so what's the point?

Old Post May-12-2016 11:18  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: why is a good sound card important?

quote:
Originally posted by rubez
playing mp3's wont sound any better, would they? - perhaps, marginally, but probably not.

are my synths going to sound better? - perhaps, marginally, but probably not.

not keen on the external motherfuckers though. i know they can be considered less desirable? - they are not less desirable, they are more flexible and easier to swap from machine to machine.

i was getting the occasional pop and crackle with omnisphere (not CPU related, driver issue i think) but i seem to have that fixed now - Bingo, drivers on audio interfaces are far superior to onboard audio.

so what's the point?

The point is driver efficiency and better latency. You'll also have the benefit of much higher quality inputs in case you want to use mics or line inputs. A quick check on my setup shows that the RME Asio driver is approximately 10 times better than the generic ASIO driver using the onboard sound card. We're talking 2-3ms latency compared with 20-30ms. That's quite a lot.

Old Post May-12-2016 12:37  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

i thought onboard sound didn't use ASIO, hence ASIO4ALL?

FL seems to have its own special ASIO driver, or you can pick ASIO4ALL, but that disables the windows audio while its in use.

would the Xonar Essence STX II be as good as an audio interface?

i only intend on using one machine, and totally ITB. so no real need for an audio interface.

Old Post May-12-2016 13:40  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

Re: why is a good sound card important?

From my experience...

quote:
Originally posted by rubez
playing mp3's wont sound any better, would they? Yes, but it depends. My $1500 laptop is utter shit on headphones, extremely boomy beyond reason. It does depend heavily on the audio chipset you are running. The audio quality can vary between no audible difference to an incredible difference. My work laptop, which is in a similar price range as my private laptop sounds very different (way less colouring)

are my synths going to sound better? Depends on the quality of your DAC. ADC. Better converters allow a truer representation of the signal to be recorded/played up to a certain degree. The most likely answer would be, very little, if noticable

what difference do they make compared to onboard motherboard sound? see first answer above

i may sell my graphics card and use the slot (and the cash) to get a decent sound card, if there is any real benefit. Going USB is sufficient and usually more convenient.

not keen on the external motherfuckers though. i know they can be considered less desirable? Untrue

i was getting the occasional pop and crackle with omnisphere (not CPU related, driver issue i think) but i seem to have that fixed now. Drivers & chipsets mostly

so what's the point?

All in all it really depends on where you're coming from. If you're the unlucky one stuck with a shit chipset like me and my laptop the benefits of a dedicated soundcard will be huge. Usually the differences are less extreme.

All in all a dedicated soundcard will produce a more honest audio signal. Combined with a decent set of speakers this will enable you to make more informed decisions on your mixdown.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Last edited by Storyteller on May-12-2016 at 14:36

Old Post May-12-2016 14:29  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

better latency, more inputs (essential for hardware) and i like the separate volume controls for monitors and headphones

Old Post May-12-2016 16:34  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

finally got an audio interface, and actually mp3's sound much improved. mainly much better bass, generally sounds less tinny and i can push the volume as high as i want without it getting uncomfortably shrill and distorted, all while still maintaining the quality.

also, i used to have to disable the EQ when listening on headphones - no need for that any more.

impressed.

Old Post Jul-25-2016 19:18  Scotland
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

They don't sound improved, but how they should sound.

Old Post Jul-25-2016 20:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

can't believe Rubez fell for all of this lol.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Storyteller @ Twitter
Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Jul-25-2016 23:40  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

The onboard Realtek soundcard on my Asus mobo sounded pretty good to me but then I hooked it up to an old home theater receiver via the co-ax spdif interface, rather than using those 3.5mm ports.

If you are using mainly VSTs you don't really need to buy an audio interface.

Old Post Jul-26-2016 16:47  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

heavy VSTs like omnisphere, or even lesser ones at times, crackle and pop under on-board sound, so an interface is necessary i found.

i have i7 4GHz 16GB RAM, so the sound was my weak point. the issue cleared up completely with a proper audio interface.

Old Post Jul-27-2016 14:33  Scotland
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

It's the ASIO driver that solves that issue, not the hardware itself.

Old Post Jul-27-2016 14:35  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

i tried a native realtek ASIO driver, a special FL ASIO driver, and ASIO4ALL.

all had exactly the same results. none was better than the other.

soon as i used the interface with its ASIO driver, problem vanished.

Old Post Jul-27-2016 17:05  Scotland

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > why is a good sound card important?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread