Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Remixing...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SystematicX1
Supreme tranceaddict

Remixing...

This is just a totally curious question.
When you have remixed a song, do you listen to the original?
I know this may sound strange in question however, I have been known NOT to listen to the full song (or even parts or melody) and only listened to the vox stems.

Old Post Jan-09-2017 19:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SystematicX1 Click here to Send SystematicX1 a Private Message Add SystematicX1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
stewart.m
Supreme tranceaddict

yes i like to listen to the orignal tune and take notes that way you know you have made something different

Old Post Jan-09-2017 20:22  England
Click Here to See the Profile for stewart.m Click here to Send stewart.m a Private Message Add stewart.m to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
aquila
Supreme Pantsaddict

I always listen to the original in order to determine if it's something that I can remix or not. In most cases I try to imagine what other arrangements and/or melodies will work with the main elements of the song.

Old Post Jan-09-2017 22:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for aquila Click here to Send aquila a Private Message Visit aquila's homepage! Add aquila to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SystematicX1
Supreme tranceaddict

Stewart, so...I am just wondering here.
How is it that you actually aren't sure that you have created something different? Is the chances of coincidence to great?
I find it hard to imagine someone coming up with something so similar that they cannot tell it a part from the original. Especially if you haven't heard it

Old Post Jan-10-2017 18:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SystematicX1 Click here to Send SystematicX1 a Private Message Add SystematicX1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Zak McKracken
are you really known for it

the entire purpose of a remix is make something very different with the parts, no need to know the original structure.
you may not use the melody or anything, just a hook sample / voice or whatever. you can even change up the chords to fit whatever part you use to focus on in a new way. im known to be very good at this

I dunno if I agree with that.

Sometimes, a remix can be anything. You can pull a Timo Mass and come up with a completely different track that bares fuck resemblance to the original, or you can pull a Mat Darey and make a similar track to the original but add you signature thumping sound with rolling/sweeping 16th note basslines and leadlines, or you can just spice up the original.

In my mind, it's a remix, not a re-compose, so I think the true essence is to make a better(in your vision) version of the original....but it's just that; a version of the original. making something completely "new" and disparate from the original in my mind isn't really a remix as such.

Sometimes, the biggest urge to do a remix comes from the fact I hear a that could have greatness, but just misses the mark. Maybe I'm more an engineer than a composer when it comes to producing, but so often the stuff that motivates me are those near misses where I can instantly hear what they "should" have done and how I'd do it.

Old Post Jan-12-2017 01:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SystematicX1
Supreme tranceaddict

And I also believe that remix and recompose means two different things to some pending how old you are /grins
Back in the day, a remix was at the extreme an arrangement change. Most were just loops without certain elements you would find on the original.
A lot were merely called extended mixes. Beast within remix comes to mind
But it did not change the original content,or at least hardly. If anything,more additives.

Now days, it seems that songs being called a remix is actually a re compose.
Producers who are giving stems out of their original material and doing a contest and then a completely different song altogether is more times not the winner.

Old Post Jan-12-2017 03:00  United States
Raphie
Mastering Engineer

Art of noise - moments in love

https://soundcloud.com/raphiegrooves/test2

Old Post Jan-15-2017 13:11  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Raphie Click here to Send Raphie a Private Message Visit Raphie's homepage! Add Raphie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

I try not to listen to the original unless its something familiar. Like if I'm building a track around vocals. I go back and try to find a new chord progression instead of using the one already used. Sometimes, retuning the vocals helps add an entirely new twist to an existing song. Plus, and I know this sounds crazy, but a lot of the tracks I play around with, are already pretty damn good, and I hate to listen to something and be like, there's no way I can replicate that so instead, I'll do what I'm good at. A good example,

I absolutely love, love, love this song.. it reaches out in so many ways, and the harmonics and voices are amazing... but my remix? yeah... lol

versus my remix...
http://djryan.com/tracks/WithYou.mp3

Old Post Jan-15-2017 22:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRYAN™ Click here to Send DJRYAN™ a Private Message Visit DJRYAN™'s homepage! Add DJRYAN™ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Remixing...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread