TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Political Discussion / Debate
-- Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »

Posted by Goashem on Apr-22-2004 00:51:

has anyone here read mein kampf ?

Posted by sufee_b on Apr-23-2004 19:57:

N e thing by Chomsky, Moore, Zinn, Roy and E. Said

Posted by Yoepus on Apr-23-2004 21:49:

quote:
Originally posted by Izzy
i just finished reading it now
this is a MUST READ. its only 100 pages so most of you could finish it in 1-3 days... my highest recommandations to both sides of the political spectrum and both sides of the atlantic

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

kudos.

We do some book deal with amazon with all the customers we send them. Like all TA polit forum addicts get 10% off fellow recommended titles by TA polit forum addicts

Posted by sufee_b on Apr-24-2004 06:57:

Also Myth of the Machine Vol.2 by Lewis Mumford

Posted by DJ-Dank-Poo on Apr-26-2004 19:19:

Hey I can contribute to this thread! As a philosphy minor at school I got bored reading the "old mens" philosophy books (ie Aristotle, Plato, etc..) I am currently reading into philosophy that we can correlate to these crazy modern times. Check out anything by J. Krishnamurti, he is a very good writer trying to look into the problems of the ego and mankinds endless struggle on this earth. I recommend these

"The Awakening of Intelligence" - J. Krishnamurti
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence" - Robert M. Pirsig

...I am just finishing the second one and it is now one of my favourites! Although it doesn't have much to do specifically with motorcycle repair I do ride bikes and I can see the relationships he is trying to establish between these things.

PS... btw anuneventrade how is the book:
"The Best War Ever" - Michael C.C. Adams

saw this one at the library before was thinking about checking it out. if you can't tell i'm a sucker for war stories/movies lol...

Posted by MrSquirrel on Apr-27-2004 06:10:

Time to add a bit more from the world of MrSquirrel's reading habits.

The Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons:

Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
Rise of Endymion (have not read this one yet but it continues Endymion and I am sure it will be good)

If you read the firs ttwo you will definitely be suspicious of those two guys that made the Matrix films and how "original" their idea really was.

MrS

Posted by oDrori on May-02-2004 16:54:

quote:
Originally posted by DJ-Dank-Poo
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence" - Robert M. Pirsig

Heh, I was just thinking of getting to read this one! Dad seems to have liked it

I'd recommend "The Age Of Thinking Machines" by Ray Kurtzwille... Actually didn't quite catch me on it's main subject but the general stuff that surrounds it was quite interesting to read.

Posted by Cyrus King on May-03-2004 02:55:

I just discovered GUNS GERMS & STEEL By Jared Diamond.
Essentially, it examines why societies are so different around the globe by analyzing the historical, environmental and industrial factors throughout the continents.

For example, he goes on to illustrate the factors that let europeans become more industrialized as opposed to Africans.

Posted by smokeape on May-21-2004 00:23:

Read the Bible and repent you Hoser!

HAHHAHHAAAAA!!!!
Your favorite redneck...

[[[smoke]]]

Posted by kaffeemeister on Jun-20-2004 04:32:

As many have said before, 1984 by George Orwell is an awesome book, it's a must read!!! Talks about an futuristic autocratic society. Starship Troopers is another book in similar vein, however it's more sci-fi and still has the same type of theme i reckon.
Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury is another great read as well.

Rene' Descartes: Discourse on Methods
Machiavelli - The Prince
Plata - The Republic
Confucious's Analects
Sir Thomas More - Utopia
Achtung Panzer - Heinz Guderian (Miltary Theory on Mobile Armoured Warfare)
Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Armor Attacks : The Tank Platoon - John Antal
On War - By Clauswitz...(dunno if it's spelt right or not)

Posted by Psionic on Jul-04-2004 20:59:

Gonna start reading Robert Reich's new book called "Reason."

Posted by tathi on Jul-31-2004 11:36:

quote:
Originally posted by kaffeemeister
Starship Troopers is another book in similar vein, however it's more sci-fi and still has the same type of theme i reckon.

ahh, Robert Heinlein - Starship Troopers, greatest satirical writer in history imo

Posted by TranceGiant on Jul-31-2004 17:13:

Anyone read the Clinton biography yet?

Posted by Izzy on Aug-10-2004 21:54:

quote:
Originally posted by TranceGiant
Anyone read the Clinton biography yet?

its like 900 and some pages... and with no real plot twists or surprises i doubt i'll find the motivation to read it

Posted by Cyrus King on Aug-11-2004 15:15:

quote:
Originally posted by smokeape
Read the Bible and repent you Hoser!

HAHHAHHAAAAA!!!!
Your favorite redneck...

[[[smoke]]]

I would rather burn it and laugh as it becomes what it should .... a worthless pile of ash

Posted by tathi on Aug-28-2004 04:26:

Viktor Frankl - Mans Search For Meaning

Posted by Trancer-X on Aug-28-2004 08:56:

quote:
Originally posted by Izzy
its like 900 and some pages... and with no real plot twists or surprises i doubt i'll find the motivation to read it

I wonder if it talks at all about Vince Foster?

Posted by Trancer-X on Aug-28-2004 09:03:

so as to keep the thread on topic:

Enuma Elish

Posted by Trancer-X on Sep-03-2004 20:01:

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
so as to keep the thread on topic:

Enuma Elish

I'm assuming that noone on this board has any idea as to what this is about...

I'm not surprised that people from the Bible-belt don't know (or don't want to know), but for those that are interested in spirituality, consciousness exploration, or just the written history of our civilized world, this is a must read.

http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/re...numa-elish.html

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/chad/

http://www.crosscircle.com/CH_1c.htm

Posted by DR86 on Sep-03-2004 20:53:

Currently reading "hegemony or survival" by Noam Chomsky

Posted by discojoe on Sep-03-2004 21:34:

quote:
Originally posted by DR86
Currently reading "hegemony or survival" by Noam Chomsky

ya me too.. dont like it though. i hate his style. too preachy. doesnt let the reader draw conclusions, he just hammers his own over and over.

Posted by Seventil on Sep-03-2004 22:44:

The Question of God by Dr. Armand Nicholi - a great non-biased book on the lives of Sigmund Frued and C.S. Lewis, discussing religion, sexual views and thoughts of love and life.

Posted by Seventil on Oct-15-2004 14:05:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. A must read for anyone that likes science.

Posted by squirrelly on Nov-03-2004 17:44:

quote:
Originally posted by DJ-Dank-Poo

PS... btw anuneventrade how is the book:
"The Best War Ever" - Michael C.C. Adams

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, but the novel is simply brilliant. Adams perspectives bring a jolting chill to what most believe happened. I'm simply in love with the book, I read it very often.

Posted by George Smiley on Nov-25-2004 17:33:

Jason Burke's book...Al-Qaeda: The True Story of Radical Islam...is supposedly THE bible of al-Qaida and the war on terror. I recommend this excellent book to everyone interested in the war on terror. Burke identifies three phases of al-Qaida, and we are now in the third evolutionary phase after Afghanistan - where al-Qaida is no longer a terrorist group, but an ideology...

"You are a member of al-Qaida if you say you are"

Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »